an honest critique of the state of Tiger's game at the moment..

jmvargas

I think Tiger's win at the Masters really put unrealistic expectations on him. Yes Tiger is back, but he's much different. His body isn't always healthy and he relies much more on precision than power, something that will be a winning combination on SOME courses, Bethpage is not one of them.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

The biggest enemy to future success for tiger is the loss of hunger that the masters win might have brought about , he sounds satisfied , it might be hard to get that burning desire to win back

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

The truth is the Masters could have gone a number of different ways, and if it did the perspective would be a lot different. This is not to take anything away from the win - it was amazing and Tiger got it done when others didn't. But had he finished anywhere from 2nd-5th the expectations and narrative after a MC (on a course that probably isn't a great fit) would be different.

I can understand the emotional letdown after the Masters but I don't think this would change anything for him over the next few years. Theoretically, Pebble Beach seems to setup ok for him. Provided his health is ok, he should be ready to go then.

the stars aligned for Tiger at the Masters...I'm convinced of that now..

I'm afraid it might take another similar alignment for him to win another major...although I really hope I'm wrong..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

> @puttfordoux said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > We’re witnessing a changing of the guard.

>

> Only if Brooksie can maintain this level of play for about the next 12 years.

I don't mean just Brooks. After Jack's miracle at the Masters in '86, he finished T8 at the Open. Then he disappeared. Jack's win notwithstanding, 1986 was actually the year of Greg Norman, marking his emergence onto the world stage followed by a string of European stars. That culminated with Faldo's win over Norman at the Masters in '96. I think we're looking at something similar in the present day. Tiger achieved his miracle, but his health won't let him do it again. Furthermore, he can no longer play the modern power game that essentially he invented. He's a warm weather shot-maker now.

> @Murv said:

> > @"Big Cat 3" said:

> > Tig was never into this tourney and predicted by many ( Faldo ) to play the exactly as he did

>

> I think he reached a decision a week or so after the Masters that he couldn't or wouldn't put the effort in to the PGA. I think he was hoping to play well but was emotionally drained. He didn't even come to the course on Wednesday.

>

> Murv

He already said he wasn’t feeling well Wednesday - you guys don’t even listen to what Tiger himself says about his situation. “Emotionally drained” on Wednesday, lol.

> @puttfordoux said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > We’re witnessing a changing of the guard.

>

> Only if Brooksie can maintain this level of play for about the next 12 years.

Changing of the guard doesn't mean Brooks needs to have a better career than Tiger. But if he holds on today (which seems very likely) who will be the favorite at the US open? I think it will be Brooks overwhelmingly

I think he's the dude in majors right now

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @puttfordoux said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > We’re witnessing a changing of the guard.

> >

> > Only if Brooksie can maintain this level of play for about the next 12 years.

>

> I don't mean just Brooks. After Jack's miracle at the Masters in '86, he finished T8 at the Open. Then he disappeared. Jack's win notwithstanding, 1986 was actually the year of Greg Norman, marking his emergence onto the world stage followed by a string of European stars. That culminated with Faldo's win over Norman at the Masters in '96. I think we're looking at something similar in the present day. Tiger achieved his miracle, but his health won't let him do it again. Furthermore, he can no longer play the modern power game that essentially he invented. He's a warm weather shot-maker now.

The changing of the guard, had occurred and was occurring well before Jack's victory in '86. As you know '86 was pretty much out of nowhere BUT please let's not forget Jack finished T-6 at The Masters at the age of 58 in 1998!

The guard changing re Tiger started precisely when he stopped winning majors and it's been the world of other players that he is trying to be part of (and can summon the ability to do so from time to time).

Not referring to you, but the Tiger 24/7s just can't let it be enough that he won the Tour Championship, several months later won The Masters and may or may not win again sometime in the near or far future, but won't be winning a grand slam this year or 5 tournaments a year.

I said years ago, he would be just keep being "recrowned" the greatest ever when he won his 15th, then 16th, then 17th, lol, because the fear of him never winning one again after his 14th would just keep recurring for many and be too much to bear (and if someone wanted to believe he was the greatest just on his record before The Masters this year, hey that's someone's opinion, nothing wrong with it).

PGA Championship - Tiger mania has yet another period of readjustment.

Folks need to see him for what he is and what he can do - can be great, more often than not he isn't. What's wrong with that?

• Like 1

> @3whacker said:

> Tiger got dusted by 17 shots...In his defense it has got to be tough to revisit courses he once physically overpowered and to watch a younger man like Brooks do to him , what he used to do to the rest of golf...The stars and golf gods are going to have to align perfectly as they did at Augusta in order for him to win another major, but there is a reason Father Time is still undefeated. Tiger's mind may tell him he is capable of dominating on demand, but reality proves otherwise. He still is better than most

Only major I rule Tiger out of winning again is the PGA. He can forget that but Masters the The Open championship especially as we saw Watson at 58 nearly win. I can def see Tiger content there for years to come.

I can see him I will only focus on the Masters and British.

> @Lamb said:

> > @3whacker said:

> > Tiger got dusted by 17 shots...In his defense it has got to be tough to revisit courses he once physically overpowered and to watch a younger man like Brooks do to him , what he used to do to the rest of golf...The stars and golf gods are going to have to align perfectly as they did at Augusta in order for him to win another major, but there is a reason Father Time is still undefeated. Tiger's mind may tell him he is capable of dominating on demand, but reality proves otherwise. He still is better than most

>

> Only major I rule Tiger out of winning again is the PGA. He can forget that but Masters the The Open championship especially as we saw Watson at 58 nearly win. I can def see Tiger content there for years to come.

>

> I can see him I will only focus on the Masters and British.

>

>

Well, Tiger almost won the PGA in St. Louis 9 months ago. I don’t think he’s forever out of contention at the PGA; nor do I think Brooks is going to win every PGA moving forward.

Everyone saying “Tiger was bested by 16 shots”, sure, OK, and so was 90 percent of the field. This week more than anything is an aberration, an outlier. It happened when Rory won at Congressional and when Marty Kaymer won at Pinehurst. Just a complete showing while everyone else is struggling to break par. I don’t think it has any bearing on anything, really, other than it shows us what BK is capable of when he’s “on”, and we pretty much already knew that.

> @"Ronnie Mundt" said:

> > @Lamb said:

> > > @3whacker said:

> > > Tiger got dusted by 17 shots...In his defense it has got to be tough to revisit courses he once physically overpowered and to watch a younger man like Brooks do to him , what he used to do to the rest of golf...The stars and golf gods are going to have to align perfectly as they did at Augusta in order for him to win another major, but there is a reason Father Time is still undefeated. Tiger's mind may tell him he is capable of dominating on demand, but reality proves otherwise. He still is better than most

> >

> > Only major I rule Tiger out of winning again is the PGA. He can forget that but Masters the The Open championship especially as we saw Watson at 58 nearly win. I can def see Tiger content there for years to come.

> >

> > I can see him I will only focus on the Masters and British.

> >

> >

> Well, Tiger almost won the PGA in St. Louis 9 months ago. I don’t think he’s forever out of contention at the PGA; nor do I think Brooks is going to win every PGA moving forward.

>

> Everyone saying “Tiger was bested by 16 shots”, sure, OK, and so was 90 percent of the field. This week more than anything is an aberration, an outlier. It happened when Rory won at Congressional and when Marty Kaymer won at Pinehurst. Just a complete showing while everyone else is struggling to break par. I don’t think it has any bearing on anything, really, other than it shows us what BK is capable of when he’s “on”, and we pretty much already knew that.

>

Tiger still bested by most of the field. DFL along with everyone else who missed the cut.

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @puttfordoux said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > We’re witnessing a changing of the guard.

> >

> > Only if Brooksie can maintain this level of play for about the next 12 years.

>

> Changing of the guard doesn't mean Brooks needs to have a better career than Tiger. But if he holds on today (which seems very likely) who will be the favorite at the US open? I think it will be Brooks overwhelmingly

>

> I think he's the dude in majors right now

Not necessarily better, but at least close to equal. Individual sports do best with one or two players at the forefront. Take tennis for example. Outside of Nadal and Federer, what men's tennis pro can you name? Most people cant name a pro golfer outside of Tiger and Phil at this point. Obviously for the diehards it probably doesn't make a difference, but the powers that be who run the sport know it is best for the sport to have an 'it' person.

I’m going to enjoy watching him play whenever he chooses to tee it up. I’m not expecting anything more or anything less.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

My thoughts on Tiger are completely opposing (I’m one the biggest Tiger fans in the world, just FYI).

1. He just won the Masters and looked really, really good.

2. He’s physically in a much worse position than your average 43 year old.

If he can keep practicing and this routine of getting ready 5 hours before each round keeps working, great. That being said, he looks to be on the edge of taking another break from the tour. I hope that’s not the case, but man, he has looked rough physically in the month since he won the Masters.

I just hope he gets things right for the US Open. If he almost won there in 2010, he can definitely win now.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @Lamb said:

> > @3whacker said:

> > Tiger got dusted by 17 shots...In his defense it has got to be tough to revisit courses he once physically overpowered and to watch a younger man like Brooks do to him , what he used to do to the rest of golf...The stars and golf gods are going to have to align perfectly as they did at Augusta in order for him to win another major, but there is a reason Father Time is still undefeated. Tiger's mind may tell him he is capable of dominating on demand, but reality proves otherwise. He still is better than most

>

> Only major I rule Tiger out of winning again is the PGA. He can forget that but Masters the The Open championship especially as we saw Watson at 58 nearly win. I can def see Tiger content there for years to come.

>

> I can see him I will only focus on the Masters and British.

>

>

The PGA and US Open are going to be course dependent in my opinion, this week wasn't a good fit but Pebble will be. I think it is safe to say that is where his focus is.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> My thoughts on Tiger are completely opposing (I’m one the biggest Tiger fans in the world, just FYI).

> 1. He just won the Masters and looked really, really good.

> 2. He’s physically in a much worse position than your average 43 year old.

>

> If he can keep practicing and this routine of getting ready 5 hours before each round keeps working, great. That being said, he looks to be on the edge of taking another break from the tour. I hope that’s not the case, but man, he has looked rough physically in the month since he won the Masters.

>

> I just hope he gets things right for the US Open. If he almost won there in 2010, he can definitely win now.

I think 2 is a spot on. When he's feeling well he's already proven to be a top 5 caliber golfer. Some weeks he's just not going to show up feeling well.

I will say though that at this point he's limited to certain venues. I watched that featured group and Brooks is playing with two top 10 golfers and recent major champions and they look like JV golfers compared to him. Not a criticism of Tiger as much as much as just saying that venues like Bethpage and a lot of traditional US Open venues really separate the bombers with all around games. Not surprised at all that Brooks, DJ, and Rory all ended up top 8. Pebble gives the Tiger's and Molinari's a chance to compete but most US Opens don't.

2006 Tiger Major Season

Masters: 3rd

US Open: Missed cut with two ugly rounds

British Open: Won

PGA: Won

People overreacting after the Masters was a wrong decision and people overreacting after this are wrong as well. The man did not look well Thursday or Friday. Physically, he seemed fine but I think he definitely was under the weather. If you pay attention he has basically stated he has to have 3 hours of warm up to get loosened up to properly play golf so the fact that he was walking gingerly at a promotional event really doesn't prove anything from an injury standpoint. I think he tried a new strategy of limiting his tournaments ahead of this major and it backfired. At his age you have to experiment with what will work best. Roger Federer has done the same on the tennis side of things.

• Like 2

> @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > @puttfordoux said:

> > > @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > Pretty much saw this one coming. He was enjoying his masters win and took too much time off, plus the cooler weather. Many players do this after a win

> > >

> > > He took time off because he is not healthy. Was walking around like a 95 year old man at a promotional event. Dumbasses here said it must have been "leg day" at the gym. Yeah, whatever.

> > >

> > > He skipped the Wells Fargo because he is not healthy. He played only 9 holes in practice this week because he is not healthy. And through it all, Steiny, the PR hack, says there's nothing to worry about and Tiger feels great. Liar!!!

> > >

> > > When Tiger is healthy (e.g., the Masters) he plays great. When Tiger is not healthy (this week) he has no chance in h e l l.

> > >

> > > The problem for Tiger is that he's at an age, and a stage of relative health, where he's on the razor's edge. At the end of the day he longer has the juice to overcome physical limitations like he did at the 2008 U.S. Open.

> >

> > Well according to Tiger, it wasnt the physical part of the game that wasnt healthy, it was the mental part. So whether that was actually true or he was just blowing smoke, most probably believe the latter, except those in his own camp.

>

> Tiger has a very poor track record in speaking honestly about his physical condition. Steiny's record is even worse. I don't believe anything that comes out of their mouths regarding how Tiger is feeling. I draw my inferences based on Tiger's actions, not his words.

Tiger has a poor track record of speaking honestly about anything.

I do like the speculation in your posts. It's very consistent, cogent and believable.

Try to add some "quotes" for more impact.

• Like 1

Funny thread. At least some of the replies. Apparently people only remember what happened a week ago. It’s like most forget after missing the us open cut last summer tiger held the lead on the back 9 on Sunday at the open. Then had a very real shot at the pga(the one people in this thread are saying he should just forget about winning), and finished 2nd.

Then he wins the tour champ(at east lake, a long “bombers” course) and the masters. It could be argued easily that he’s been the 2nd most dominant golfer since last summer and could easily have 2 of the last 4 majors.

Yet you have posters in this thread insinuating that what happened this week is the new normal lol. I almost feel like this week was to be expected after Augusta. How about we wait til pebble to see what’s what.

> @bscinstnct said:

> Tiger just gonna keep robbing BK of getting a green jacket ; )

>

Hahahahaha! Thanks for the laugh!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”