Slicefixer. Any updates? Anyone still working with him?

17 minutes ago, dpb5031 said:

The book is very good. I agreed to be a test reader and editor, so received multiple drafts to review. In the end Geoff decided there wouldn't be "enough" financial gain in taking it to publication to make it worth it. He also wasn't keen on giving away all of his "secrets" for what would likely only amount to a modest profit. 

I saw things differently... that it would be a great way to document his legacy and promote his teaching business, but it was obviously his decision. I also thought that there was a period of time when his GolfWRX popularity would have generated enough sales to make it worthwhile, but that window has closed since Geoff doesn't participate here anymore, and hasn't for years.

I speak/text with Geoff fairly regularly and it sounds like he's doing great!

As for ET, once upon a time you could find a link for it and I printed the whole thing off and put it in a binder, but then there were all these folks saying that it was a conglomeration of posts, more or less, and not all consistent with some of his ideas, etc.  I figured if I wasn't going to invest time and effort going down there it didn't make sense to try and make sense of it, but maybe it's better than some would suggest?  Just curious on your thoughts on that, if others are tracking it down.

4 hours ago, dpb5031 said:

The book is very good. I agreed to be a test reader and editor, so received multiple drafts to review. In the end Geoff decided there wouldn't be "enough" financial gain in taking it to publication to make it worth it. He also wasn't keen on giving away all of his "secrets" for what would likely only amount to a modest profit. 

I saw things differently... that it would be a great way to document his legacy and promote his teaching business, but it was obviously his decision. I also thought that there was a period of time when his GolfWRX popularity would have generated enough sales to make it worthwhile, but that window has closed since Geoff doesn't participate here anymore, and hasn't for years.

I speak/text with Geoff fairly regularly and it sounds like he's doing great!

Any chance you could ask him if he minds me releasing the version of the ET that I put together years ago? He might not even remember, but I'm Dean - the guy who's friends with Dan W. 

We could even make it a donation based thing? Proceeds to Geoff or anywhere he wants? 

45 minutes ago, Gsea said:

ok. mr. stupid here what's ET?

Encyclopaedia Texarkana. It was a compendium of Geoff's posts on Wrx that someone put together. It's full of gold, but a real mess. Someone gave me a version of it over a decade ago that they'd sorted into a loose order, and I turned it into something resembling a book. 

17 minutes ago, glk said:

I grabbed these back in 2014.    Haven't looked at them in a long, long time so have no idea if this is what you did.

SliceFixer Encyclopedia Texarkana 2012.pdf 2.7 MB · 1 download

slicefixerthoughts2.pdf 1.49 MB · 1 download

Well, it looks like Geoff did let it out after all!

Although looking through it now I can see typos and about a thousand things I'd do differently. Anyway, there it is. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 11:03 PM, coops said:

I'll just add a link to the Slicefixer webinar from the Gotham Golf Blog, from way back when....

I've kept a copy all these years - it's 2 hours and only in 360p but still entertaining/interesting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx476pr249kpt04/Slicefixer Webinar Complete(360p_H.264-AAC).mp4?dl=0

that's great, I couldn't find that interview after seeing it years ago. 

3 hours ago, russc1597187869 said:

MarkTN

You have made a good deal of progress.

CONGRATS.If you wish to advance your swing based upon Slicefixer’s concepts , you will need to make some changes.

The foundation of the Slicefixer swing is torso rotation ( particularly rib-cage), maintaining the angle of your right wrist(leveraged)through impact and connection . 

Your problems are focused in three areas. 
1. straightening the rear leg too much going back 

2 failing to rotate your torso  sufficiently going down

3.failing to retain the angle of the right wrist through impact 

Some simple setup changes to improve rotation include flaring your left foot 1/4 turn towards the target ( aka Ben Hogan) and opening your stance slightly via pulling back your left foot 1-2 inches away from the target line . Flaring your left  foot will increase the range of motion of your left knee which in turn will increase the range of motion of your left hip. Experiment with flaring your lead foot both towards the target and then inward like a duck and you will immediately  notice the difference in your ability to rotate your left hip.

Opening your stance will change the plane that your pelvis will move on , thus making it easier to rotate on the downswing. 

Going back you are letting your right leg straighten too much . Think of the right pelvis movement as both towards the target and away from the target line during the backswing. with the correct movement a blend of both. Because it is a bony structure , the left part of the pelvis must mirror this movement.Straightening the rear leg too much will increase the movement of right pelvis  too much towards the target resulting in your weight and LEFT knee moving incorrectly .  Although the right knee will naturally straighten somewhat as the pelvis turns, you MUST RETAIN some of the setup flex in the right knee at the top . 

You need to understand that lateral motion beyond a certain point is the enemy of rotation. While lateral motion in the downswing is necessary to weight your left foot( except with short irons when you already have your weighted your left foot via the REVERSE K setup) , any lateral motion of the hip beyond the outside of your left foot will inhibit your rotation. 

To minimize lateral motion of the hip in the downswing , stick an alignment rod into the ground almost touching the middle outside  of your left foot. Your goal should be to never touch this alignment rod with your hips in the downswing ( although you will probably do so with your left knee ).

Currently Retaining the angle of your right wrist ( extension ) is a very popular subject on golf blogs and YouTube .Slicefixer was one of the very few who emphasized this concept more than a decade ago. In many ways retaining the angle of the right wrist is an enabler of torso rotation  and vicesersa. This is because both right wrist flexion(flipping) and  ribcage rotation closes the club face  while the opposite , right wrist extension  and stalling  rotation open the club face. So if you rotate sufficiently , there will less need to flex the right wrist ;if you not rotate sufficiently , it is more likely that you will flip. 
Although there are some low tech and high tech aids to help develop this extension of the right wrist , the simplest way is to practice the 9-3 drill , while maintaining the angle of your right wrist all the way through 3:00. This can NOT  be done with a full swing at regular swing speeds, since the weight of the club will make doing so very difficult.

How did I miss you are back?  Didn't you have a 'goodbye cruel world' (about this forum) post about 5 years ago, lol?

Edited by mantan
  • Like 2

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

2 hours ago, mantan said:

How did I miss you are back?  Didn't you have a 'goodbye cruel world' (about this forum) post about 5 years ago, lol?

Holy crap, has it been that long? I did see him post in a couple other threads a few months ago. Russ, how old are you now? 70, 75? Just curious. Not trying to be inflammatory.

$$$$

Many moons ago in one of the Slicefixer threads, somebody posted a picture of the lines Geoff drew on his glove during his first in-person lesson.  Does anybody remember where that was or otherwise have a similar photo?

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

22 hours ago, hoganfan924 said:

I pretty much stopped practicing back in late 2014 when I went back to the corporate world, and just played a weekly 9 hole golf league for 19 weeks every summer, and maybe just a couple of 18 hole rounds each summer, so my swing and game really deteriorated.  The challenge went from "never shooting in the 40's," to "breaking 40," each week in league, which just sucked. Got the bug again this year to get back to form with about a month left in my season.  Started practicing hard, but my swing, impact & power just weren't what they were when I'd been working with Geoff more regularly about 10 years ago.  Of course, now at 56, It's expected to lose some distance. 

I went and spent a week with Geoff around Thanksgiving.  Just hanging out really, as we'd planned to go to his hunting camp.  So limited amount of instruction (couple of hours), and a lot of time "visiting," talking golf swing theory, life, politics, etc.  I'd let my grip drift very weak, my set-up was a little off, I wasn't rotating well through the downswing, and wasn't getting enough right wrist dori-flexion, so was hitting a lot of flippy/picky shots, with a very punchy right arm, and not "thumping it," like his good players.  We worked on those things. Been hitting balls now through the winter a few days/week, hope to get to playing my best ever golf (although I'm 56 now, so it's a challenge), and my impact is getting much better the last couple of weeks.  Really looking forward to this season.

Geoff had a very serious heart issue that was discovered several years ago by the cardiologist father of one of his NYC students (who happened to be in TXK when I visited a couple of months ago), which was extremely fortunate for him.  He had major surgery to fix it, and had some complications.  He's mostly recovered, but it weakened his left arm, and he can't swing a club anymore, (at least not how he'd like to) and he made a decision to greatly curtail his lessons &  number of students.  Although he only gave a few lessons while I was there, the kids that showed up could all really hit it. Was fun to watch, and to see him help them improve.  Zack Fischer (2013 Q-school winner) was there the day before I arrived, getting his swing tuned up.  Bummed I missed that, as Zack was one of the HS kids hitting balls on the range on my very first visit to see Geoff back in 2007 or 8.  Seeing a bunch of 16-17 years old's hitting it like tour pros was jaw dropping.  Really one of the most impressive things I've seen in my life, and I've seen some very cool stuff.  Geoff decided not to publish his book, as dpb5031 explained above.  I wish he would eventually, to really leave his legacy in writing. 

I'm glad they were able to catch it early, but hate to hear he had complications.  And especially hate that he's no longer able to play a game that's been such a big part of his life.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

If I may ask, I have a similar type swing and am a tad older than you. Play to a low number but I am curious as to your driver distance.

Carry on my best strikes is about 255-260. I have lost about 5-7 mph of CHS over the past 3 years.

Many keys for me are captured in this still image:

20201223_221814.jpg

Edited by dpb5031
  • Like 2

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

On 2/2/2021 at 8:12 PM, hoganfan924 said:

I pretty much stopped practicing back in late 2014 when I went back to the corporate world, and just played a weekly 9 hole golf league for 19 weeks every summer, and maybe just a couple of 18 hole rounds each summer, so my swing and game really deteriorated.  The challenge went from "never shooting in the 40's," to "breaking 40," each week in league, which just sucked. Got the bug again this year to get back to form with about a month left in my season.  Started practicing hard, but my swing, impact & power just weren't what they were when I'd been working with Geoff more regularly about 10 years ago.  Of course, now at 56, It's expected to lose some distance. 

I went and spent a week with Geoff around Thanksgiving.  Just hanging out really, as we'd planned to go to his hunting camp.  So limited amount of instruction (couple of hours), and a lot of time "visiting," talking golf swing theory, life, politics, etc.  I'd let my grip drift very weak, my set-up was a little off, I wasn't rotating well through the downswing, and wasn't getting enough right wrist dori-flexion, so was hitting a lot of flippy/picky shots, with a very punchy right arm, and not "thumping it," like his good players.  We worked on those things. Been hitting balls now through the winter a few days/week, hope to get to playing my best ever golf (although I'm 56 now, so it's a challenge), and my impact is getting much better the last couple of weeks.  Really looking forward to this season.

Geoff had a very serious heart issue that was discovered several years ago by the cardiologist father of one of his NYC students (who happened to be in TXK when I visited a couple of months ago), which was extremely fortunate for him.  He had major surgery to fix it, and had some complications.  He's mostly recovered, but it weakened his left arm, and he can't swing a club anymore, (at least not how he'd like to) and he made a decision to greatly curtail his lessons &  number of students.  Although he only gave a few lessons while I was there, the kids that showed up could all really hit it. Was fun to watch, and to see him help them improve.  Zack Fischer (2013 Q-school winner) was there the day before I arrived, getting his swing tuned up.  Bummed I missed that, as Zack was one of the HS kids hitting balls on the range on my very first visit to see Geoff back in 2007 or 8.  Seeing a bunch of 16-17 years old's hitting it like tour pros was jaw dropping.  Really one of the most impressive things I've seen in my life, and I've seen some very cool stuff.  Geoff decided not to publish his book, as dpb5031 explained above.  I wish he would eventually, to really leave his legacy in writing. 

Great update hoganfan? It’s great to see you back and contributing some good info. So do you plan on going to see Geoff regularly going forward? I know he is big on having his out of state students see him at least 3 times a year. 

• Like 1

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

On 2/3/2021 at 6:14 PM, dpb5031 said:

This was several weeks ago. I started golf late (29) and didn't meet Geoff until I was 45. I'm 53 now. I will never look like his best students, but his concepts and fundamentals have helped me get to better than scratch from a 5/6 hc. I shot 68 on this day from 6700

Super impressive that you got to scratch with not starting until you were 29.  That's extremely rare, and says a lot about your process and work ethic.  And a round with 18 GIR's!  Wow!  You did a lot better than the "Dan Plan" guy.  😉 Big congratulations to both you and your daughter!  Hopefully Geoff will get back to NY sometime this year or maybe do another Masters trip, and we'll have a chance to meet down the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Great update hoganfan? It’s great to see you back and contributing some good info. So do you plan on going to see Geoff regularly going forward? I know he is big on having his out of state students see him at least 3 times a year. 

3X/year is a bit much of a commitment for me as I have many other interests and obligations that consume my time, and I know Geoff's deal pretty well, as I was also helping him with his book.  Just I hadn't seen him (or practiced much) since 2015, so needed a kick in the pants to get back on track. Geoff's always been very trustful of me to share some of his higher level stuff that he'd never written about here, and I've just seen his stuff work so well for so many students.  What always blew me away is how incredibly efficient his students swings are.  No "extra" or unnecessary moves.  Very tight swings with lots of speed.  What he teaches also fit well with my natural tendencies (I was always an "O'grady Cp" releaser).  Strengthening the grip (which was the #1 change I've made in the last few months) was a very difficult change to make, but I've stuck with it and am at a point where I can even fade it now.   It was essential to make that change in order to incorporate the other elements, and be able to get some lag and speed back.  Ballstriking has really started to come together, and although distances are a bit tough to judge hitting crappy range balls in 30F temperatures, impact is feeling solid again. Can't wait for spring and going for a full bag fitting.  Hopefully, I can get my HDCP. established and low enough to maybe get into some tournament play.  

• Like 3