New TM p790 irons ???

tigerd

I picked up my P790 this afternoon while doing a ping demo day for a 5 wood at willowbrook golf center in NJ

I was able to hit my new irons using trackman. 7 iron went around 170 carry. 5 iron was 195 to 200.

Ball flight was great on pure strikes(dead straight even the ping reps were impressed)

Clubs look great and the red golf pride multi compound mid size grips are fantastic.

Nippon N.S pro Tour 3 120 S shaft is very good just need to swing easy.

Just want to thank TM for making a great product.

Also thanks to the ping reps for allowing me to do a mini gaping session to find the right 5 wood and teaching me the proper way to clean my irons

u2ypcpo0wbi6.jpg

itgp1a4wjks1.jpg

gpegxajmsblj.jpg

• Like 1

> @sniper said:

> Nice setup! I have to ask what is the proper way to clean irons?

I use to dump my irons in a bucket of warm water with soap for 15 minutes. I was told today the ferrule will get loose. Just use a microfiber towel, damp it with warm water to clean your club. Use a soft tooth brush to clean the grooves. I sent Mike from TXG this question and he said the same thing. Also to wipe my clubs after every shot would be better

> @GolfBum82 said:

> How’s the top line? Any cleaner than the first version?

It looks very clean. Don’t know about the previous version but to me coming from the Apex it is very good looking wedge. I posted address/top line photos in the P790 winners thread

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @GolfBum82 said:

> How’s the top line? Any cleaner than the first version?

Top line looks thinner than the old P790. New clubs have a sharp look to it.

> @Lumberjack627 said:

> @peterrod did you buy the 790s at willowbrook? I live the next town over and go there all the time. Never got fit or demoed clubs there before. How was your experience.

Demo day for TM was July 25. TM had trackman and a fitting cart. The fitter was great going through different shafts on the old P790 until we found the correct match. Range ball went 176 carry with a 7 iron but total was 204. The fitter found the Nippon Pro modus 120 Stiff shaft would give me the same carry but a total of 186. Its a free service just sign up

Jeff the proshop owner gave me a discount($100 off) plus I traded in my Ap2 714 irons($150). I did the layaway program. He called me a week later and said TM is out of stock on Old P790 but the New P790 are just as good. He did a price freeze since i have to wait. I made two more payments until i got the phone call two days ago they arrived. Paid the $600 balance and i have my new irons. Happy Customer. Ping will be there today 12 to 5 but call to make an appointment

Got to use my new P790 this morning.

It took about three holes to get comfortable with them. My PW was going 130 to 140. 9 iron 140 to 150. My ball was hitting the green and checking near the divot. My best shots was hole 12 386yd . I hit decent 5 iron going downhill 220. I had 163 uphill. I hit the best 8 iron of the year leaving me with a 12 ft putt for birdie.(two putt par). I might have to get on trackman to figure out the distances. Not used to seeing my gap wedge going 125. Something I never did before after every shot I would clean the dirt on my clubs. Need to keep the 790 clean Great Job TM. best round of the year.

dlwuu6w452rp.jpg

• Like 3

Tested the new P790s today.

There were succes and failure. Success was the long irons up 7. Felt great, sounded great and the results was noting less off fantastic. They look good even though they have way to thick top line for my taste, but with minimal offset (for this type of club) I still can play a club like this and like it. But - and it’s a big but(!), there is no way I can play clubs like 8-P looking this chunky! The difference from my AP2 is crazy, and even compared to T200 (in the same class) the difference is huge! Especially the P is one crazy looking club, why did they do a beast like that?

So the obvious question, what can you combine them with that really looks good? I had a set of 760 next to it, but I’m not a fan of 760, there must be some other alternative that makes sense even if it will be a challenge with the lofts.

(Playing to hcp 4, no blade player).

> @MrShield said:

> Tested the new P790s today.

>

> There were succes and failure. Success was the long irons up 7. Felt great, sounded great and the results was noting less off fantastic. They look good even though they have way to thick top line for my taste, but with minimal offset (for this type of club) I still can play a club like this and like it. But - and it’s a big but(!), there is no way I can play clubs like 8-P looking this chunky! The difference from my AP2 is crazy, and even compared to T200 (in the same class) the difference is huge! Especially the P is one crazy looking club, why did they do a beast like that?

>

> So the obvious question, what can you combine them with that really looks good? I had a set of 760 next to it, but I’m not a fan of 760, there must be some other alternative that makes sense even if it will be a challenge with the lofts.

>

> (Playing to hcp 4, no blade player).

I'm seriously contemplating doing a combo set of T100's 6-PW (1 deg strong) with P790 4-5 irons (1 deg weak). Might be weird but it's what I like most right now. lol The P790s are my favorite irons out there but I hit the 7 iron 190+ carry so it's not a good set for me with distance gapping so wide in short irons. I really dislike the T200's even though the top lines look great in the longer irons for a club like that. I love the T100's and I'm and a long time Titleist player (DCI 822os first set then to 762s and several AP2 models) but just not sure I should play the 4 iron and likely 5 iron in these. Considered T200 5 iron and U500 4 iron. Really like the P790 long irons and was about to buy a combo set with P760 but I have a hard time buying P760s over T100s. So might go through with the odd combo set but I really think it's the best combo for what I'm looking for. Just bothers me that I'd have 2 manufacturers of irons but I think I'd get over it. lol

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @MrShield said:

> One addition - compared to T200 the new P790 clearly is 0.25” shorter. Even the staff at the fitting center had noticed this before I asked them when we compared the standard sets on the shelf.

I noticed the New p790 were a little shorter but i got use to it.

I just need some time to dial in 8-Aw. Long irons are amazing.

Mrshield would you consider mizuno Sel 20 8-pw?

> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> @MrShield said:

> > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

>

> No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

>

>

>

>

Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > @MrShield said:

> > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> >

> > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

>

Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

> @MrShield said:

> > > @MrShield said:

> > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > >

> > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> >

> Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

I have the original 790s and they were almost identical in size compared to AP2s. The difference in topline was minute. Blade length pretty much identical. My MG wedge looks looks more “chunky” than my P790 set AW. It’s a hollow club designed for a wide array of golfers so it’s not gonna have the profile of a baby blade.

• Like 2

> @MrShield said:

> > > @MrShield said:

> > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > >

> > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> >

> Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

Double the 718 AP2? I find that hard to believe. Still waiting to hear about the performance of the shorter irons because that's really all I care about.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > @MrShield said:

> > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > > >

> > > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> > >

> > Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

>

> Double the 718 AP2? I find that hard to believe. Still waiting to hear about the performance of the shorter irons because that's really all I care about.

Played the new P790s this past Sunday and used the 8-PW a lot throughout my round. Nice high ball flight and due to the descent angle and height I was able to hold greens no problem. Plus I think the entire set sits real nice behind the ball and is not chunky IMO. It looks like TM really slimmed the profile down

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @AG12 said:

> > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > > > >

> > > > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> > > >

> > > Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

> >

> > Double the 718 AP2? I find that hard to believe. Still waiting to hear about the performance of the shorter irons because that's really all I care about.

>

> Played the new P790s this past Sunday and used the 8-PW a lot throughout my round. Nice high ball flight and due to the descent angle and height I was able to hold greens no problem. Plus I think the entire set sits real nice behind the ball and is not chunky IMO. It looks like TM really slimmed the profile down

This is what I'm looking for! Great to hear, really looking forward to ordering mine.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > @AG12 said:

> > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> > > > >

> > > > Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

> > >

> > > Double the 718 AP2? I find that hard to believe. Still waiting to hear about the performance of the shorter irons because that's really all I care about.

> >

> > Played the new P790s this past Sunday and used the 8-PW a lot throughout my round. Nice high ball flight and due to the descent angle and height I was able to hold greens no problem. Plus I think the entire set sits real nice behind the ball and is not chunky IMO. It looks like TM really slimmed the profile down

>

> This is what I'm looking for! Great to hear, really looking forward to ordering mine.

You will not be disappointed they kicked my Apex CF19 out of the bag.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

So far no issue with the short irons. small sample 2 rounds of golf

My gap wedge goes 110 -120 PW 125-140

I used the Srixon soft golf ball and had 138 to the pin

My PW went up in the air landed and the ball made a tiny hop to the right(Lefty golfer)

Custom fitting with the proper shaft will allow short and long irons to stop on the green.

Last night I did an 8 iron side by side new 790 vs my old razr x irons. I don't see the thickness in the TM model

So beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the new 790 checks all the boxes for me.

BTW, my numb> @BiggErn said:

> > @MrShield said:

> > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > > >

> > > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> > >

> > Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

>

> I have the original 790s and they were almost identical in size compared to AP2s. The difference in topline was minute. Blade length pretty much identical. My MG wedge looks looks more “chunky” than my P790 set AW. It’s a hollow club designed for a wide array of golfers so it’s not gonna have the profile of a baby blade.

P790 same size as AP2 718? You can’t be serious? ?

Have you hold an AP2 pitch next to P790 pitch? Can you seriously say they are the same size? ??