2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

So, Tiger ....

farmer

> @Golfrnut said:

> > @Potatohead said:

> > I think something is up with him, physically. I don't know any other reason why he would play so little, he's played about half of what he played last year? I know he said he was going to play less, but this seems like a lot less, no events between majors?

> >

> > The guy can obviously still play. Sunday he was -6 over the last eleven holes, which is the hard part, I haven't actually checked but I bet nobody else in the field was more than -2 or -3 over that stretch, at best. He just looks so darn rusty every time he tees it up this year. He needs more reps.

> >

>

> You mean maybe the fact he has a bad back? I mean, he still does say that it stiffens up on him and from the sounds of it, fairly often. I have a bad back (four slipped discs, arthritis, DDD) and I still don't consider mine as bad as where his was at. I can't get 2 full days of golf in back to back without eating meds, so I have no freakin' idea how he gets in 5-6 a week when you consider practice rounds, pro-ams, etc. He's doing way better than I can manage, and I'm a few years younger than he is.

It just seems worse than last year. Maybe he hid it better, maybe it actually has gotten worse, I don't know. I would imagine he is playing as much as the doctors say he can play. I hope he can hang around and be competitive for a few more years at least.

> @Potatohead said:

> > @Golfrnut said:

> > > @Potatohead said:

> > > I think something is up with him, physically. I don't know any other reason why he would play so little, he's played about half of what he played last year? I know he said he was going to play less, but this seems like a lot less, no events between majors?

> > >

> > > The guy can obviously still play. Sunday he was -6 over the last eleven holes, which is the hard part, I haven't actually checked but I bet nobody else in the field was more than -2 or -3 over that stretch, at best. He just looks so darn rusty every time he tees it up this year. He needs more reps.

> > >

> >

> > You mean maybe the fact he has a bad back? I mean, he still does say that it stiffens up on him and from the sounds of it, fairly often. I have a bad back (four slipped discs, arthritis, DDD) and I still don't consider mine as bad as where his was at. I can't get 2 full days of golf in back to back without eating meds, so I have no freakin' idea how he gets in 5-6 a week when you consider practice rounds, pro-ams, etc. He's doing way better than I can manage, and I'm a few years younger than he is.

>

>

> It just seems worse than last year. Maybe he hid it better, maybe it actually has gotten worse, I don't know. I would imagine he is playing as much as the doctors say he can play. I hope he can hang around and be competitive for a few more years at least.

Consider the conditions we have seen him struggle at. The last two majors, were cold/damp, and he came in what some could consider "rusty". Compare that to the Masters which has nice warm conditions where the muscles could stay loose. He didn't do well until the end of last year either. He missed cuts, was very hit/miss during the course of 4 days, was wearing the KT tape, etc. Everyone was saying the same things they are now, except they also were saying it before he had two more wins. Now, he wins again, and the scruteny gets even worse. Haha. The guy can't win (pun intended).

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

> @Golfrnut said:

> > @Potatohead said:

> > > @Golfrnut said:

> > > > @Potatohead said:

> > > > I think something is up with him, physically. I don't know any other reason why he would play so little, he's played about half of what he played last year? I know he said he was going to play less, but this seems like a lot less, no events between majors?

> > > >

> > > > The guy can obviously still play. Sunday he was -6 over the last eleven holes, which is the hard part, I haven't actually checked but I bet nobody else in the field was more than -2 or -3 over that stretch, at best. He just looks so darn rusty every time he tees it up this year. He needs more reps.

> > > >

> > >

> > > You mean maybe the fact he has a bad back? I mean, he still does say that it stiffens up on him and from the sounds of it, fairly often. I have a bad back (four slipped discs, arthritis, DDD) and I still don't consider mine as bad as where his was at. I can't get 2 full days of golf in back to back without eating meds, so I have no freakin' idea how he gets in 5-6 a week when you consider practice rounds, pro-ams, etc. He's doing way better than I can manage, and I'm a few years younger than he is.

> >

> >

> > It just seems worse than last year. Maybe he hid it better, maybe it actually has gotten worse, I don't know. I would imagine he is playing as much as the doctors say he can play. I hope he can hang around and be competitive for a few more years at least.

>

> Consider the conditions we have seen him struggle at. The last two majors, were cold/damp, and he came in what some could consider "rusty". Compare that to the Masters which has nice warm conditions where the muscles could stay loose. He didn't do well until the end of last year either. He missed cuts, was very hit/miss during the course of 4 days, was wearing the KT tape, etc. Everyone was saying the same things they are now, except they also were saying it before he had two more wins. Now, he wins again, and the scruteny gets even worse. Haha. The guy can't win (pun intended).

I'm not really scrutinising, just observing. He almost won Valspar last year which was early on, but probably warm too. All in all I hope you're right.

> @Potatohead said:

> > @Golfrnut said:

> > > @Potatohead said:

> > > > @Golfrnut said:

> > > > > @Potatohead said:

> > > > > I think something is up with him, physically. I don't know any other reason why he would play so little, he's played about half of what he played last year? I know he said he was going to play less, but this seems like a lot less, no events between majors?

> > > > >

> > > > > The guy can obviously still play. Sunday he was -6 over the last eleven holes, which is the hard part, I haven't actually checked but I bet nobody else in the field was more than -2 or -3 over that stretch, at best. He just looks so darn rusty every time he tees it up this year. He needs more reps.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > You mean maybe the fact he has a bad back? I mean, he still does say that it stiffens up on him and from the sounds of it, fairly often. I have a bad back (four slipped discs, arthritis, DDD) and I still don't consider mine as bad as where his was at. I can't get 2 full days of golf in back to back without eating meds, so I have no freakin' idea how he gets in 5-6 a week when you consider practice rounds, pro-ams, etc. He's doing way better than I can manage, and I'm a few years younger than he is.

> > >

> > >

> > > It just seems worse than last year. Maybe he hid it better, maybe it actually has gotten worse, I don't know. I would imagine he is playing as much as the doctors say he can play. I hope he can hang around and be competitive for a few more years at least.

> >

> > Consider the conditions we have seen him struggle at. The last two majors, were cold/damp, and he came in what some could consider "rusty". Compare that to the Masters which has nice warm conditions where the muscles could stay loose. He didn't do well until the end of last year either. He missed cuts, was very hit/miss during the course of 4 days, was wearing the KT tape, etc. Everyone was saying the same things they are now, except they also were saying it before he had two more wins. Now, he wins again, and the scruteny gets even worse. Haha. The guy can't win (pun intended).

>

> I'm not really scrutinising, just observing. He almost won Valspar last year which was early on, but probably warm too. All in all I hope you're right.

By the sounds of it, the next time we'll see eyes on him will be the British. Depending the weather, he might be freakin' screwed which will only add to it in the end. He may truely become a 'fair weather' golfer, we'll just have to wait and see.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tiger Woods

Mean, mean pride

Though his mind is not for rent

Don't put him down as arrogant

His reserve a quiet defense

Riding out the golf events

The Masters

What you say about his company

Is what you say about the PGA

Catch the mist, catch the myth

Catch the mystery, catch a glimpse

The world is, the world is

Love and life are deep

Maybe as his shots are high

Today's Tiger Woods

He gets high on you

And the space he invades

He gets by on you

No, his mind is not for rent

To any venue or his restaurant

Always hopeful yet discontent

He knows changes aren't permanent

But change is

What you say about his company

Is what you say about the PGA

Catch the witness, catch the wit

Catch the spirit, catch a glimpse

The world is, the world is

Love and life are deep

Maybe as his shots are high

Exit the warrior

Today's Tiger Woods

He gets high on you

And the energy you trade

He gets right on to the friction of the day

• Like 2

> @cdnglf said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > @buckeyefl said:

> > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > @Scotty1140 said:

> > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > These threads are always hilarious... Guy is doing great, just won the masters.If he doesnt win again the rest of the year but contends a few times and stays healthy its a fantastic season. Why are people expecting prime Tiger and not enjoying this version of him? hes doing great, just temper your expectations and youll enjoy watching a legend do his thing. i dont understand the knee jerk reactions

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > He won the Masters, so he’s had a great year.

> > > > > > > But it is a bit eyebrow-raising that he’s only played 10 competitive rounds since, and apparently isn’t going to play again until the Open. Something is up... wouldn’t surprise me if he shut it down for the season after Portrush.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Highly doubt that. This is simply the new normal for a 43 year old on his 4th back. He said he played too much last year and it showed when he showed up to the Ryder Cup looking completely gassed. I think he's simply pacing himself for what's going to be for him, a sprint to the finish with The Open followed by the Playoffs, then the President's Cup. I think winning the Masters this year has helped him stick to his intended plan of easing up on the schedule. He just won a major. He's playing with house money right now.

> > > > >

> > > > > No competitive rounds before the Open so he can save himself for captaining the Presidents Cup? Doesn’t make sense to me.

> > > > >

> > > > > If he needs to take 4 consecutive weeks off during the most important part of the season, something isn’t right.

> > > >

> > > > He told you what wasnt right, "This is simply the new normal for a 43 year old on his 4th back." Its not rocket science.

> > >

> > > So if he can only play once a month, might as well shut it down after Portrush.> @buckeyefl said:

> > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > These threads are always hilarious... Guy is doing great, just won the masters.If he doesnt win again the rest of the year but contends a few times and stays healthy its a fantastic season. Why are people expecting prime Tiger and not enjoying this version of him? hes doing great, just temper your expectations and youll enjoy watching a legend do his thing. i dont understand the knee jerk reactions

> > > > >

> > > > > He won the Masters, so he’s had a great year.

> > > > > But it is a bit eyebrow-raising that he’s only played 10 competitive rounds since, and apparently isn’t going to play again until the Open. Something is up... wouldn’t surprise me if he shut it down for the season after Portrush.

> > > >

> > > > The something up is not a mystery as he has explained it. It's not hard to understand. That being said, he most certainly wasn't comfortable during the beginning of the Sunday round ( didn't get to see the second half) which is part of the reason hes playing a limited schedule.

> > >

> > > As we all know, Tiger has always been completely transparent about his health and has never retroactively changed His story.

> >

> > He never said he was only going to play once a month. He’s choosing not to play between now and the open and is on vacation with the family. The new schedule with the changes to the players and pga and the tournaments that got moved around as result is something most of the top players are trying to figure out their schedule.

> >

> > Why would he shut it down after port rush when there’s still FedEx cup playoffs and tour championship.

>

> If he’s not healthy and/or interested enough to get his reps in for the PGA or the Open, why would he care about the FedEx Cup?

Health is a big reason he isn’t playing as much and he’s said that numerous times. He’s also one that has always been picky about the courses/events he plays. The tournaments coming up aren’t part of what he plays so why play when he can be dad for a few weeks.

> @cdnglf said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > These threads are always hilarious... Guy is doing great, just won the masters.If he doesnt win again the rest of the year but contends a few times and stays healthy its a fantastic season. Why are people expecting prime Tiger and not enjoying this version of him? hes doing great, just temper your expectations and youll enjoy watching a legend do his thing. i dont understand the knee jerk reactions

>

> He won the Masters, so he’s had a great year.

> But it is a bit eyebrow-raising that he’s only played 10 competitive rounds since, and apparently isn’t going to play again until the Open. Something is up... wouldn’t surprise me if he shut it down for the season after Portrush.

Honestly, i dont think anything is up. i think he feels like he played too much last year so hes dialing it back this year. the Masters win might have taken alot out of him emotionally but to me he looks fine. his wedge and iron play have been great. hes just not head and shoulders better than everybody out there anymore and thats fine. His golf IQ is still insane. he simply cant show up anymore anywhere and win just like that. He needs better starts to tourneys so hes not too far back and then tries to do too much. he'll be just fine

His problem is putting and slow starts! He’s 4th in GIR, 10th tee to green, and 46th in driving accuracy, and 9th in scoring average.

However he is 66th in putting and 62nd in scoring average before the cut. Never thought I would see the day that he would putt so badly.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

> @OldBridge said:

> I know Tiger obviously has a lifetime exemption but doesn't he have to play at least 15 or so events to keep his TOUR privileges?

>

The classic “Current Masters Champion Loses His PGA Tour Card” scenario. Or the other classic “Arguable GOAT with 81 wins, 15 majors, current Masters champ and world number 5 loses tour card because he doesn’t play enough and is middle-aged”. Tour commissioner Jay Monaghan comments “the Tour does not benefit from having Tiger Woods participate in PGA Tour events”.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @OldBridge said:

> I know Tiger obviously has a lifetime exemption but doesn't he have to play at least 15 or so events to keep his TOUR privileges?

This is a new one, you answered your own question right before you asked it. Pretty neat.

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

Also let's not forget, TW has little or nothing he needs to qualify for at the moment. Last year he was fighting to get into the last ever WGC at Firestone, and the playoffs, and possibly Ryder Cup. Also a year ago today he was still trying to prove he's relevant. Not anymore. Also I wonder if he celebrated Masters a lot harder than he let on.

> @Potatohead said:

> > @Golfrnut said:

> > > @Potatohead said:

> > > > @Golfrnut said:

> > > > > @Potatohead said:

> > > > > I think something is up with him, physically. I don't know any other reason why he would play so little, he's played about half of what he played last year? I know he said he was going to play less, but this seems like a lot less, no events between majors?

> > > > >

> > > > > The guy can obviously still play. Sunday he was -6 over the last eleven holes, which is the hard part, I haven't actually checked but I bet nobody else in the field was more than -2 or -3 over that stretch, at best. He just looks so darn rusty every time he tees it up this year. He needs more reps.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > You mean maybe the fact he has a bad back? I mean, he still does say that it stiffens up on him and from the sounds of it, fairly often. I have a bad back (four slipped discs, arthritis, DDD) and I still don't consider mine as bad as where his was at. I can't get 2 full days of golf in back to back without eating meds, so I have no freakin' idea how he gets in 5-6 a week when you consider practice rounds, pro-ams, etc. He's doing way better than I can manage, and I'm a few years younger than he is.

> > >

> > >

> > > It just seems worse than last year. Maybe he hid it better, maybe it actually has gotten worse, I don't know. I would imagine he is playing as much as the doctors say he can play. I hope he can hang around and be competitive for a few more years at least.

> >

> > Consider the conditions we have seen him struggle at. The last two majors, were cold/damp, and he came in what some could consider "rusty". Compare that to the Masters which has nice warm conditions where the muscles could stay loose. He didn't do well until the end of last year either. He missed cuts, was very hit/miss during the course of 4 days, was wearing the KT tape, etc. Everyone was saying the same things they are now, except they also were saying it before he had two more wins. Now, he wins again, and the scruteny gets even worse. Haha. The guy can't win (pun intended).

>

> I'm not really scrutinising, just observing. He almost won Valspar last year which was early on, but probably warm too. All in all I hope you're right.

Yes, Tiger almost won Valspar last year, but, go look at where he was at this same point in the season last year. After the Valspar and API, where Tiger took a pair of top 5s, he fell off the planet for a minute and looked tired, stiff, rusty, and like he was struggling overall. After those events he went:

Masters - T32

Wells Fargo - T55

Players - T11

Memorial - T23

US Open - MC

People act like Tiger set the world on fire all last year but that isn't exactly what happened. He started slow with a T23 at the Farmers and a MC at the Genesis. Then he put together a shocking, seemingly out of nowhere 3 week stretch where he went 12, 2, 5. Then it was back to struggling. He really didn't hit his stride and become truly competitive until July at the Quicken Loans.

I would actually argue that Tiger is ahead of where he was this time last year. He's played 9 events, hes been in the top 25 in 7 (78%) of them, top 10 in 4 (44%) of them and won a major (11% of events played). Through 9 events last year he had 6 top 25s (67%), 2 top 10s (22%) and 0 wins.

In total he played 18 events, Top 25 in 12 of them (66%), Top 10 in 7 (39%) and won 1 (6%).

Moving the PGA Champ to May has seriously condensed the golf season and has put the typically East Coast PGA Championship into a place where weather is going to be an ongoing concern. For guys with back injuries, it's going to make it even more challenging for them to win the PGA.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

> @legitimategolf said:

> Also let's not forget, TW has little or nothing he needs to qualify for at the moment. Last year he was fighting to get into the last ever WGC at Firestone, and the playoffs, and possibly Ryder Cup. Also a year ago today he was still trying to prove he's relevant. Not anymore. Also I wonder if he celebrated Masters a lot harder than he let on.

Iirc in a recent interview he said he enjoyed his time after the masters and didn’t really do anything golf related for several weeks.

I just wish the media would stop asking questions about his health. Tiger has always been injured and always will be injured. I love Tiger but I’m sick of constantly hearing about his injuries.

> @jonsnow said:

> > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > I just wish the media would stop asking questions about his health. Tiger has always been injured and always will be injured. I love Tiger but I’m sick of constantly hearing about his injuries.

>

> I'm sorry, were we talking about Tiger Woods or Jason Day?

>

>

My statement is applicable to both. Stop asking about injuries. Most everyone in professional sports is dealing with injuries, so let’s not report on it unless it’s something new.

Not getting in one more tourney before The Open seems strange. Doesn’t help that the Quicken is no more; he regularly played in that even around this time. I understand all that has been said about the “New Tiger” but we’ve got one more major left this year and it will be a bummer if he isn’t in the running. This condensed major schedule has its downside; you blink and it’s over.

> @"Ronnie Mundt" said:

> Not getting in one more tourney before The Open seems strange. Doesn’t help that the Quicken is no more; he regularly played in that even around this time. I understand all that has been said about the “New Tiger” but we’ve got one more major left this year and it will be a bummer if he isn’t in the running. This condensed major schedule has its downside; you blink and it’s over.

It feels like any other sport. Seasons come and go.

IMO the only negative is we only get tiger for 4/5 Months of meaningful golf

Tiger had had one mission, one obsession

For 10 freakin years. For an entire decade that dream was cruelly denied.

At times he must have felt that the gods themselves were tormenting him as he shook his mortal fist in vain like some character out of ancient myth. Carrying on only to to be struck down to the abyss time and again.

And then,

A mighty bolt of lightning hurled at Mount Olympus in defiance!

And his dream is realized.

So, he’s prolly still in some bit of shock and disbelief. And whatever supernatural will that has been enabling him to physically compete may have vanished to a degree. He may not be able or willing to mask the pain anymore. Let’s face it, the guy is a wreck.

I don’t think Tiger believes he can win many more majors, or any tournament for that matter. It meant a lot to win one for his kids. And for himself as well. I wonder though if the Masters win came too early? Tiger has never been denied much as far as golf and to win so early after such huge obstacles to overcome, both physically and emotionally, you have to stop and think about where he goes now? Sometimes in life winning too early and often can be a real problem. Hopefully things are going well for him.

> @Lagavulin62 said:

> I don’t think Tiger believes he can win many more majors, or any tournament for that matter. It meant a lot to win one for his kids. And for himself as well. I wonder though if the Masters win came too early? Tiger has never been denied much as far as golf and to win so early after such huge obstacles to overcome, both physically and emotionally, you have to stop and think about where he goes now? Sometimes in life winning too early and often can be a real problem. Hopefully things are going well for him.

He will hopefully just be wise and put his health first. He pretty much moved a mountain with a back held together with a light switch plate so no need to do any damage he can’t come back from.

> @Lagavulin62 said:

> I don’t think Tiger believes he can win many more majors, or any tournament for that matter. It meant a lot to win one for his kids. And for himself as well. I wonder though if the Masters win came too early? Tiger has never been denied much as far as golf and to win so early after such huge obstacles to overcome, both physically and emotionally, you have to stop and think about where he goes now? Sometimes in life winning too early and often can be a real problem. Hopefully things are going well for him.

If Tiger didn't think he could win, he wouldn't play. Period. End of sentence.

• 4 weeks later...