2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

So, Tiger ....

farmer

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Maximilian said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @Maximilian said:

> > > > While I’m sure he has a few more wins in him, at this point I still have to question why? He says that every swing hurts. I’d be worried something could go very, very wrong with his back or neck soon that would prevent him from living any kind of normal life.

> > > >

> > > > But I guess he knows better than me. It just looks really painful at times.

> > >

> > > The answer to that question is the formula for his entire existence. The many wins etc.

> > > Seriously. There’s a need there that most don’t have.

> >

> > Absolutely, totally agree. But he still has most of his life ahead of him, and while I’m sure he’ll be on painkillers every day in any case, somewhere in the back of his head there must be a voice telling him just to quit while he’s ahead?

> >

> > But he said he thinks he has another ten years of golf in him, right? So yeah, guess he won’t quit until it’s physically impossible for him to swing a club (or walk for that matter).

>

> Yep. I truly think that’s how he’s wired. Not till he’s cold in the ground. No other explanation for pressing through the pain , and embarrassment. He could never lift a finger for anything again if he wanted. Something to be said for that much drive when you have more at your finger tips than Kings and heads of state.

I don't think "normal people" can even come close to comprehending how bad athletes at his level NEED competition. It's like crack to them. It's why a lot of them crash and burn so hard after they can't play anymore. They go searching for that "juice" somewhere else and often times find it in the wrong place! Almost all of the greats in anything needed it. They can't turn it off even at risk of injury. I'm sure if the risk was potential paralysis or something that severe, he wouldn't be playing. As it is now, I'm sure anything he has enough money to correct just about anything that golf can do to him. At least fix it enough enjoy life anyway. That drive is the great separator between good and great.

I do commend him for battling through the embarrassing moments that were plenty before he got back to where he is now. I'm not sure many athletes have that in them.

As I've mentioned, Tiger at this stage needs par 72 majors. He still out thinks these guys but his body looks more like I expected it to look at 53 than 43.

Overall his season has been very logical, after the resurgence late in 2018: Fared best at par 72 Augusta, completely flopped at par 70 PGA Championship, and middling at par 71 US Open. But now he gets par 72 again at the British Open, plus opportunity to use course management.

It should be an uptick week if not high contention.

There was too much commotion around here after the Masters. Outright denial. I remember the preposterous assertions that it was superior to Augusta 1986. Meanwhile that event was one unforced error after another, allowing Tiger to wiggle home.

I think he actually deserved one of those in his career. It was kind of over due for a player of that stature. But it was like all of his biggest fans watched it with blinders on.

> @"Awsi Dooger" said:

> As I've mentioned, Tiger at this stage needs par 72 majors. He still out thinks these guys but his body looks more like I expected it to look at 53 than 43.

>

> Overall his season has been very logical, after the resurgence late in 2018: Fared best at par 72 Augusta, completely flopped at par 70 PGA Championship, and middling at par 71 US Open. But now he gets par 72 again at the British Open, plus opportunity to use course management.

>

> It should be an uptick week if not high contention.

>

> There was too much commotion around here after the Masters. Outright denial. I remember the preposterous assertions that it was superior to Augusta 1986. Meanwhile that event was one unforced error after another, allowing Tiger to wiggle home.

>

> I think he actually deserved one of those in his career. It was kind of over due for a player of that stature. But it was like all of his biggest fans watched it with blinders on.

>

>

I am not sure par 72 has much to do with it. His game has shown a lot of rust this year with a limited schedule. Sounds like he won’t be playing any tournament rounds before Portrush. Would not surprise me if he misses the cut in that one.

> @hell_is_chrome said:

> > @farmer said:

> > > @puttfordoux said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > @farmer said:

> > > > Looks stiff, tired and old.

> > >

> > > you forgot balding...

> >

> > I would never mention balding. No reason.

>

> Tiger needs to hit up YJS for the name of the doctor that did his hair plugs.

Yeah i noticed YJS seemed to have "thicker" hair when i seen him take his cap off

Tiger needs to brave the shave

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

Tiger played well on Sunday - back nine.

He has a big advantage in that he has nothing to prove. His career has been defined. He's not going to take any chances hitting out of thick rough when it's cold. He's too smart to try a dumb shot.

He ran the numbers and patience is his best friend.

He's going to get 30-35 more cracks at a major over the next 7-10 years.

Time is on his side.

> @BearQ said:

> Allowing to many of these spam threads. Shut them down immediately

So this is a spam thread? Why? Because someone posts their opinion? There was nothing in Tigers body language yesterday that showed me he even wanted to be there. I don't think Tiger is finished by any means but yesterday he DID look old and tired. If you want some threads shut down there's plenty enough other ones around here where dudes are name calling to go around.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @Ferguson said:

> Tiger played well on Sunday - back nine.

>

> He has a big advantage in that he has nothing to prove. His career has been defined. He's not going to take any chances hitting out of thick rough when it's cold. He's too smart to try a dumb shot.

>

> He ran the numbers and patience is his best friend.

> He's going to get 30-35 more cracks at a major over the next 7-10 years.

> Time is on his side.

All historical/statistical evidence suggests at aged 43.5 time is definitely not on his side.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Tiger 2.0 can't be compared to Tiger 1.0. He has admitted as much. But he's figuring it out and will have his moments. And we'll be there to watch them.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > Tiger played well on Sunday - back nine.

> >

> > He has a big advantage in that he has nothing to prove. His career has been defined. He's not going to take any chances hitting out of thick rough when it's cold. He's too smart to try a dumb shot.

> >

> > He ran the numbers and patience is his best friend.

> > He's going to get 30-35 more cracks at a major over the next 7-10 years.

> > Time is on his side.

>

> All historical/statistical evidence suggests at aged 43.5 time is definitely not on his side.

Time T, not by age.

It has been evidenced that Tiger has rewritten the statistical data his entire life, and done things thought not possible. I think there is more history in this guy. Now, granted, his win at the Masters was in large part due to the poor final day performance of others, but we all know that happens a lot in majors.

If Gary Woodland can win a US Open, Tiger can win 4 more majors.

> @Ferguson said:

> It has been evidenced that Tiger has rewritten the statistical data his entire life, and done things thought not possible. I think there is more history in this guy. Now, granted, his win at the Masters was in large part due to the poor final day performance of others, but we all know that happens a lot in majors.

I don't dispute it's possible that Tiger defies the evidence and wins more majors, possibly even equalling or surpassing Jack.

> @Ferguson said:

> If Gary Woodland can win a US Open, Tiger can win 4 more majors.

Not sure I see how this logic works in reality.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > It has been evidenced that Tiger has rewritten the statistical data his entire life, and done things thought not possible. I think there is more history in this guy. Now, granted, his win at the Masters was in large part due to the poor final day performance of others, but we all know that happens a lot in majors.

>

> I don't dispute it's possible that Tiger defies the evidence and wins more majors, possibly even equalling or surpassing Jack.

>

> > @Ferguson said:

> > If Gary Woodland can win a US Open, Tiger can win 4 more majors.

>

> Not sure I see how this logic works in reality.

It doesn't.

> @redfirebird08 said:

> > @"Awsi Dooger" said:

> > As I've mentioned, Tiger at this stage needs par 72 majors. He still out thinks these guys but his body looks more like I expected it to look at 53 than 43.

> >

> > Overall his season has been very logical, after the resurgence late in 2018: Fared best at par 72 Augusta, completely flopped at par 70 PGA Championship, and middling at par 71 US Open. But now he gets par 72 again at the British Open, plus opportunity to use course management.

> >

> > It should be an uptick week if not high contention.

> >

> > There was too much commotion around here after the Masters. Outright denial. I remember the preposterous assertions that it was superior to Augusta 1986. Meanwhile that event was one unforced error after another, allowing Tiger to wiggle home.

> >

> > I think he actually deserved one of those in his career. It was kind of over due for a player of that stature. But it was like all of his biggest fans watched it with blinders on.

> >

> >

>

> I am not sure par 72 has much to do with it. His game has shown a lot of rust this year with a limited schedule. Sounds like he won’t be playing any tournament rounds before Portrush. Would not surprise me if he misses the cut in that one.

Don't discount how much the colder weather affects Tiger. Everyone said that the major schedule was great for him this year but it really wasn't. Bethpage in May was cold. Pebble was cold. Northern Ireland likely the same. I'll be interested to see how he does in the Fedex events in warmer weather.

• Like 1

Sad to say, Tiger looks like he's aged since the Masters victory. A lot of winces and grimaces throughout his rounds. T21 isn't bad but I thought Tiger would do better on this course given the quality of his iron play.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Last round he looked to have more zip on the ball and physical freedom. Overall -2 isn't a bad effort, and of course had he putted better, he could have been top 10. Look for him to contend next month at the British where he's already won 3 times. With slight loss of distance relative to field, this tournament which requires less length has now become one of the more accessible ones for him. Even last year he was in final group when his game was not as good as it is now

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > It has been evidenced that Tiger has rewritten the statistical data his entire life, and done things thought not possible. I think there is more history in this guy. Now, granted, his win at the Masters was in large part due to the poor final day performance of others, but we all know that happens a lot in majors.

>

> I don't dispute it's possible that Tiger defies the evidence and wins more majors, possibly even equalling or surpassing Jack.

>

> > @Ferguson said:

> > If Gary Woodland can win a US Open, Tiger can win 4 more majors.

>

> Not sure I see how this logic works in reality.

Not one person that I am aware of here at WRX called Woodland to win. And he won it - straight up.

He was what might be called a bit on a long shot given the field and his past inexperience in not getting it done.

Now apply that logic to Tiger.

Given his age and physical condition - he's a bit of a long shot.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > It has been evidenced that Tiger has rewritten the statistical data his entire life, and done things thought not possible. I think there is more history in this guy. Now, granted, his win at the Masters was in large part due to the poor final day performance of others, but we all know that happens a lot in majors.

> >

> > I don't dispute it's possible that Tiger defies the evidence and wins more majors, possibly even equalling or surpassing Jack.

> >

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > If Gary Woodland can win a US Open, Tiger can win 4 more majors.

> >

> > Not sure I see how this logic works in reality.

>

> Not one person that I am aware of here at WRX called Woodland to win. And he won it - straight up.

> He was what might be called a bit on a long shot given the field and his past inexperience in not getting it done.

>

> Now apply that logic to Tiger.

> Given his age and physical condition - he's a bit of a long shot.

>

OK but "long shot" is a very subjective term.

Despite Woods being a 15 time major champion and will likely become the winningest golfer in PGA Tour history I see the possibility of him winning another 4 majors, at age 43.5 plus, as much more of a "long shot" than the OWGR #24 (now up to 12) winning one US Open. I don't know for certain but I believe statistics would backup my hypothesis.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > It’s cold and damp. Not hard to figure out. California. You know. Land of sunshine ☀️ and long sleeves in June ? Wth?

>

> It is the land of the blue sun. Go to the beach in the summer, freeze to death, and get very sunburned. All UV, no IR.

I can attest. When I went to Pebble in 2010 I didn't put sun protection on my lips and they swelled up. Thankfully a kind soul saw my plight and gave me a stick of sunscreen. Never happened before or since.

> @Frostfield said:

> You can say what you want about Tigers body going forward. But the bottom line is, had he not putted like Ray Charles he would’ve been near or at the lead.

No golfer putts at age 43.5 like they did in their twenties thats just a fact of life and it something he has to overcome to win nowadays. Even if he had putted great this week the statistics show that his ball striking was below his usual standards.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @new2g0lf said:

> Sad to say, Tiger looks like he's aged since the Masters victory. A lot of winces and grimaces throughout his rounds. T21 isn't bad but I thought Tiger would do better on this course given the quality of his iron play.

He may also check-out once the opportunity is lost. After the Masters, he said he was sore/beat up. Being in the hunt and then having a chance after Franco dumped one on 12, he probably forced it over the finish line. No one wants to bet against him if he can just get to these spots again.

Thing is, old, historical data on 43.5 year olds vs modern game w people taking better care and training their bodies for competition. I don't think that data will hold up. I would not be surprised if players continue competing and winning into their late 40's and I'm thinking eventually we will see the Champions tour age raised to 55.

Just a hunch.

> @"Vardon Grip" said:

> Thing is, old, historical data on 43.5 year olds vs modern game w people taking better care and training their bodies for competition. I don't think that data will hold up. I would not be surprised if players continue competing and winning into their late 40's and I'm thinking eventually we will see the Champions tour age raised to 55.

>

> Just a hunch.

I dont think so. You can kinda count on one hand the tour players in the past couple decades who were very successful (i.e. sustained success, not a one-off win) in their 40's: Phil. Stricker. Furyk. Vijay. Perry. Back in the day, Snead.

Golf is just like other professional sports where its a young man's game, and it gets younger by the year. Doesnt mean the old guys can't win once and a while, but once they reach age 40+, lots of things have to go right for them to be successful.

> @LICC said:

> > @Frostfield said:

> > You can say what you want about Tigers body going forward. But the bottom line is, had he not putted like Ray Charles he would’ve been near or at the lead.

>

> A tight back can affect your putting just as well as your other swings.

If not more so. If you have a bad back practicing putting is about the last thing you WANT to do.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX