Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

2 hours ago, DeeBee30 said:

Fortunate enough to be playing Edgewood Valley for the first time on Thursday. Any relatively recent insight into course conditions RE the firmness of fairways and greens? Specifically, are the fairways pretty soft like most others around here, or should there be some runout? Also, I expect the greens to be quick, but any insight into how receptive they are? 

I ask because I just played Bloomingdale - yeah, I know...different universes - and was getting an unusual 30+ yards of roll with driver, while many short approaches were releasing 5+ yards on the greens.

Also, any other EV tips beyond the usual stay-below-the-hole at courses like that?

Seems most of the courses are dried out from all the heat.  We could not get a ball to stop rolling in the fairways at Heritage Bluffs Saturday.  That being said, I live close to Bloomingdale and their fairways/greens are always hard as a rock!

I played GCI today. As expected, the rough was burnt out while the fairways were a bit spotty. Some dead spots and some brown but mostly lush. The greens were really slow. No more than 8.5. I’ve played GCI when the greens were running at 10.5 but that definitely wasn’t the case today. I enjoyed having sand in the bunkers. Quite the contrast after Arboretum last week. They have tee times 12 minutes apart there, so getting a 10:36 tee time and finishing in 3:30 was nice. Ball striking was very good but with the slow greens I couldn’t get anything from outside 5 feet to drop. 74. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

4 hours ago, DeeBee30 said:

Fortunate enough to be playing Edgewood Valley for the first time on Thursday. Any relatively recent insight into course conditions RE the firmness of fairways and greens? Specifically, are the fairways pretty soft like most others around here, or should there be some runout? Also, I expect the greens to be quick, but any insight into how receptive they are? 

I ask because I just played Bloomingdale - yeah, I know...different universes - and was getting an unusual 30+ yards of roll with driver, while many short approaches were releasing 5+ yards on the greens.

Also, any other EV tips beyond the usual stay-below-the-hole at courses like that?

Dub's hasn't had any rain, and they said they course was playing firm.

Since Edgewood Valley is in generally the same area, you should get similar conditions.

I didn't get any info about greens.

I'm playing Dubs tomorrow, so some of the info I get from playing might apply to Edgewood Valley

(Not necessarily apples to apples: upscale public vs private course, but should help somewhat).

Edgewood Valley is having a CDGA or am tournament now, isn't it?

(edit to add. Yes it was IL Mid-Am event which ended today).

Edited by geochitown

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Aren't courses required to have 10 minute tee times, or is that just a suggestion? Booked Cog Hill #3 for Friday, and the tee times are 8 minutes apart on #1 and #3, and 9 minutes apart on #2. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

@geochitown, hah! I didn't realize they were holding a mid-am there this week. I wonder if they toughened up the course for that...I just found a write-up that said it was very firm and fast. That should make for some interesting conditions on Thursday if they don't tame the course some tomorrow. 

Not sure whether to feel guilty or not. I bought a set of used irons tonight at PGA Superstore that had to be marked wrong. I saw the price and looked up trade in value while I was there. Bought for under $300 and trade in value online is just over $400. They are on ebay and used golf sites for almost $700 for 4-P and these were 3-P. Not a bad score. 

• Like 1

Last minute birthday round at Cog #2.  Course is in ok condition- fast and firm. Fairways and greens are fine (greens running true but on the slow side), but the rough is hit or miss.  Hit few shots that seemed ok only to find the ball in the bushes - FIRM bounces off the fairway.  After couple decent low to mid 70s rounds, my game was off - something about making putts from 3’ in.  Next round appears to be Sunday at Harborside Port.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Aren't courses required to have 10 minute tee times, or is that just a suggestion? Booked Cog Hill #3 for Friday, and the tee times are 8 minutes apart on #1 and #3, and 9 minutes apart on #2. 

They’re supposed to but it’s not something that’s been enforced at all. A bunch of courses just didn’t bother adjusting their online tee sheets to reflect the 10 minute rule and no one batted an eye. I’ve seen some that alternate between 7 and 8 minute times. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

2 hours ago, mci711 said:

Not sure whether to feel guilty or not. I bought a set of used irons tonight at PGA Superstore that had to be marked wrong. I saw the price and looked up trade in value while I was there. Bought for under $300 and trade in value online is just over $400. They are on ebay and used golf sites for almost $700 for 4-P and these were 3-P. Not a bad score. 

What are the irons?

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

11 hours ago, mci711 said:

Are they lefties ?

Due to a last minute cancelation, we need one more to fill out our foursome this Friday at the glen club in Chicago. Just $140, Summer rates typically $165-$195 plus $25 cart. $140 includes lunch and cart. 

Tee time 1:30 with lunch beforehand. Reply in the comments or dm me thanks.

5 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Cobra King forged. 

That would be hilarious if I didn't realize they were lefties but luckily that is not the case. 

Nice pick-up. 

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

6 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Cobra King forged. 

That would be hilarious if I didn't realize they were lefties but luckily that is not the case. 

What store? Maybe there are others with wrong prices. Might find some deals.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Willowcrest coming up on Saturday morning. Last time I played there about 3 months ago was after an incessant amount of rain during the week. Was heavy going. Hopefully not so much anymore.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Just finished up playing The Club at Harbor Shores. Had a great run in the middle and had it to -1, but I finished up at +2. Love the course and the greens and chipping areas are some of the hardest I’ve played. Greens had to be rolling 11-12. 

I’m making the trek to Arcadia Bluffs tomorrow for an afternoon tee time. Looking forward to it. 

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Like 4

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

48 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Just finished up playing The Club at Harbor Shores. Had a great run in the middle and had it to -1, but I finished up at +2. Love the course and the greens and chipping areas are some of the hardest I’ve played. Greens hd to be rolling 11-12. 

I’m making the trek to Arcadia Bluffs tomorrow for an afternoon tee time. Looking forward to it. 

Harbor Shores is one of my favorite courses around here. Beautiful track. Havent played since last fall, I suppose Im due for a trip up there. 

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

1 hour ago, ME27 said:

Harbor Shores is one of my favorite courses around here. Beautiful track. Havent played since last fall, I suppose Im due for a trip up there. 

I'd have to disagree. I'd say Harbor Shores is the most over rated golf course around. Pretty sure Jack had Mickey Mouse design the green complexes there.

Edited by B-Man

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

14 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I'd have to disagree. I'd say Harbor Shores is the most over rated golf course around. Pretty sure Jack had Mickey Mouse design the green complexes there.

I agree some of the greens make no sense but the views and the unique holes and general condition of the property is why i like it. 

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

31 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Still one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

16 minutes ago, AUTIGER07 said:

Still one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

My over under was 1 hr for someone to post that. ?

• Like 3

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

great day at Dubs today.

Fairways were in fine condition, not too firm and not soft.

Rough was rock hard though.

Greens ran fine and were in good condition.

Breeze kept things cool

First time I've played from 7500 yards, thanks buddy!

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

So not really a course played per se, but I finally had a chance to hit the range at a Cog Hill and try out the Toptracer Range system. Despite still using old range balls (from last year they said), I found the distances indicated by Toptracer to be really close to actual on-course carry yardages. I thought it would be more gimmicky like Topgolf, but I found it somewhat useful to map shot patterns and ball flight (even with range balls). 

BTW, I tried to hit the Mistwood dome the other day to try their Toptracer system, but was shocked to see it closed with the dome collapsed. Also saw in the news they were robbed while closed...trashy people!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DeeBee30 said:

So not really a course played per se, but I finally had a chance to hit the range at a Cog Hill and try out the Toptracer Range system. Despite still using old range balls (from last year they said), I found the distances indicated by Toptracer to be really close to actual on-course carry yardages. I thought it would be more gimmicky like Topgolf, but I found it somewhat useful to map shot patterns and ball flight (even with range balls). 

BTW, I tried to hit the Mistwood dome the other day to try their Toptracer system, but was shocked to see it closed with the dome collapsed. Also saw in the news they were robbed while closed...trashy people!

They tore the dome down because it was old/bad shape. They will be putting a new one up. But I agree, I like the toptracer system, it gets the job done, especially in winter instead hitting into the dome wall 100 yards away without much feedback. 

Thanks to a generous breeze, it was a fairly nice day today at Wilmette. Conditions were much better than last week. The sanded fairways looked fine. Greens were in great shape, and rolling at least 10. Pace was excellent at 3:40. For the second week in a row I was the first group out following the ladies league play. There was a little backup on the par 3 7th, but we still made the turn in 1:40. Another backup on the par 3 16th, but overall a solid pace with little waiting. 

My driver is going in the trash can. Only four fairways again today. 'Just not putting a good swing on it. I had 10 greens, so most of the misses weren't horrible, but a few were doozies. Two birdies and five bogies. Highlight of the day was the par on the 4th. Drive blocked into the trees right, winds up 205 yds out in the rough near the 17th fairway, and there's no clear shot to the green. I play my second towards the 17th teebox, leaving 95 yds to a back pin. Pull a lob wedge 25 feet left of the pin, but on the green. Drain the putt for a nice scramble. Oy. Crazy game.

Cog Hill #3 tomorrow. I haven't played #1 in 10 years, and #3 in over 14 years.

Edited by Argonne69

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

16 hours ago, mci711 said:

They tore the dome down because it was old/bad shape. They will be putting a new one up. But I agree, I like the toptracer system, it gets the job done, especially in winter instead hitting into the dome wall 100 yards away without much feedback. 

Is the new one officially happening? I know that was the plan but I can help but wonder if McWethy's passing changes things.

6 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I'd imagine the 10s of thousands of dollars they spent on 25 launch monitors and gear last year kind of forces them to. But not sure about the death. 

I'd think so as well, but I wonder how the businesses were run and if finances tightened up with his passing, especially being so sudden. Kind of surprising they made such a big financial outlay knowing the dome would need replacing a year out. Might be easier to replace it all at once.

impressive scores with respect to par today at Olympia Fields.

It will be interesting to see how the scores go for the next three days.

TM TP5x

Edgewood Valley was in in very good condition today. The tee boxes and fairways were immaculate. the bunkers - which I visited way too often - were very nicely groomed with just the right texture and depth of sand.  The greens, while pretty quick and true, had several battle scars still showing from recent play.  I can't say that the multitude of residual ball marks had much of an effect on putts, but it did detract a little bit from the visual  appeal of the course. Call me spoiled, but...

Overall, the course had a enough of a mix of holes with varied shapes and lengths to keep it interesting from a golfing perspective. And the grounds, the staff and the food were all top-notch and made this a fantastic day!

Edited by DeeBee30
  • Like 1