2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

We were supposed to play Oak Park CC today (small company outing - 2 foursomes), but unfortunately the weather won’t cooperate.  Always willing  to play private courses on someone else’s dime.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

4 hours ago, dhartmann34 said:

Turkey Scramble time of the year. I always love ending the season with scrambles. Nice to get out and play with some guys and have fun and not worry about how well I'm not swinging. 

Anyone see any turkey scrambles out there?

I think Village Green has one on the 13th. 

Village Links Iron Man Open is Sunday 11/14. $125 entry (per person, $250 per team) includes cart, all you can eat chili and hot dogs, and 3 drink tickets. Format is 1-6 scramble, 7-12 better ball, and 13-18 alternate shot.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

I've been tempted to play LM from the back myself. I agree that the silver tee's generally make it a fairly short course, and it seems a lot of those holes play much shorter than the card, but then I look at 3 and 18 and bail.  Although I'm not sure why I fear 3 from the back, at 430 if I go up the left I normally only have a 9 iron in so it would probably end up being a 6 or 7 from the back. 

Warren is a better course in every way, especially those finishing holes. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Playing Village Kinks coming up Sunday morning. Might be a bit moist.

• Like 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Bear and I played where the rain wasn't today. That meant going north to Fire Ridge and Washington County. They got some precipitation up there over the past week but nothing like what this area has had and last night it was dry. We were expecting consistent, high winds but we weren't banking on fast greens. Fire Ridge had them running at an 11 or 11.5. Given the weather conditions, the quick greens added an extra level of difficulty, since downwind approach shots were difficult to hold. Overall, I was really impressed and the color in the leaves made for some excellent-looking holes. It's weird; after not playing Fire Ridge for years despite going up to Washington County 2-3 times per year over the last 5-6 years, we've now played FR 3 times in the past 2 months. I've been hitting mostly 3 wood off the tee lately so I just lofted down to 13 degrees and hit that club all day. I'll figure the driver out in the off-season but there's minimal difference in the end result and far more control. No birdies (not really scoring conditions today) but I finished with a 75, including even par on the back. 

Washington County had a jammed tee sheet but mostly empty parking lot. Permanent times have made getting on there difficult and it's eliminated the early times. Of course, we got stuck behind a foursome who didn't let us play through at any point. Watching them was odd. Two guys were playing like their pants were on fire and they were desperate to play as fast as possible. One guy was at a fairly leisurely pace while the fourth was dragging the whole round. He was consistently 100-150 yards behind the other four. Anyway, Washington County was great. That's never a surprise. I love that course and it's killed me to not play there yet this year. The greens were not at the tempo that Fire Ridge was at but they were stimping at a 10. The wind, however, while a hassle at Fire Ridge, was brutal. The Weather Channel warned of gale winds being likely and they weren't wrong. Consistent 20-25 mph winds with 35-40 mph gusts were no joke. Despite the breeze I hit 14 greens including 8/9 on the front and the last four to close en route to another 75. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Working to put together a simulator at home now that we're in our new house. Had a company come out the other day for a quote on digging an area deeper in the basement for the simulator. Depending on that, it may end up in the garage, which was the original plan. Going to add a blue flame heater as well if it ends up in the garage.

Anyone else have a simulator setup at home? 

• Like 1

Went out to Willowcrest today,  just in case.  Sounds like it's 50/50 on it being 18 next year.   They said once it's final the front will be closed for a season for a slight redesign and routing change.   Course was in okay condition, 5 through 9 was aerified which was odd, the other greens rolled decent.   Course was wet,  cart path only,  pace was fine at 4 hours.  Wind made it tough, it was 2 to 3 clubs at times. 

Game was okay.   Moved myself in closer and that seems to fix the snap hooks.   Only hit 3 fairways, but all my misses were right, it was lovely missing to the right.   Hit 10 greens.  Lotta bogies and 2 birdies for a 76. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

12 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Played the Augusta National of the NW burbs yesterday, Whisper Creek. Surprisingly, the course had minimal wet spots and was more than playable.  Nothing had been cut in a few days and the greens were probably around a 7 in terms of speed. Teed off at 10:30 and literally didn't see a single person until catching up to a single on 18.  Rare day with 4 birdies including back to back on 8 and 9. Dropped the loft down on the driver which was a good move. 

I played GCI today and it was a wet mess. Not unsurprising, but interesting given that Whisper Creek is not all that far from GCI. Definitely seems like I chose poorly today. Should have hit the ANGC of the NW burbs. 

The greens at GCI are still recovering from being punched. They look very good from distance, but are very bumpy. Also, #11 was playing directly into a 25 mph wind today. I am man enough to admit it took me four full shots to get on the green (front edge) today. Driver, 5 wood, 5 wood, PW. Fall golf!

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

13 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

I played GCI today and it was a wet mess. Not unsurprising, but interesting given that Whisper Creek is not all that far from GCI. Definitely seems like I chose poorly today. Should have hit the ANGC of the NW burbs. 

The greens at GCI are still recovering from being punched. They look very good from distance, but are very bumpy. Also, #11 was playing directly into a 25 mph wind today. I am man enough to admit it took me four full shots to get on the green (front edge) today. Driver, 5 wood, 5 wood, PW. Fall golf!

Bear have you ever played 11 when the wind wasn't directly in your face? Have played GCI for 20+ years and can remember 1 time when there was minimal wind, but still into us.

Maple Meadows on Saturday and Sanctuary on Sunday.  I keep wanting to hang it up but then this damn weather keeps calling me back out.  I'm amazed at the amount of courses still asking $80+ and even $100+ for a round in mid November.  Even more amazed that based on the tee sheet, they're getting it. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Maple Meadows on Saturday and Sanctuary on Sunday.  I keep wanting to hang it up but then this damn weather keeps calling me back out.  I'm amazed at the amount of courses still asking $80+ and even $100+ for a round in mid November.  Even more amazed that based on the tee sheet, they're getting it. 

Mistwood sent an email about fall rates so I decided to take a look.  Down to $95 on the weekend but it you tee off at 1P, it's only $75...come Sunday that'll be finishing in the dark.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Mistwood sent an email about fall rates so I decided to take a look.  Down to $95 on the weekend but it you tee off at 1P, it's only $75...come Sunday that'll be finishing in the dark.

Cantingy, Bolingbrook were both near or over $100, Arrowhead is still $80, Seven Bridges is down to $75.  I guess this is probably the future of golf.  I guess if they're getting it then more power to them. I just want to know who the hell is paying that type of money to sit out in colder weather for 4 hours. 

• Sad 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate tomorrow, so our “outing” at Oak Park  CC is on.  Teeing off at 1:10, so should be able to finish.  

Edited by stasek
  • Like 1

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

10 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Sportsman's is $79 to ride on the weekends.

Range has grown in nicely. clubstands have cupholders.

we used to balance our drinks on the divider rails, however those were removed.

walk carefully behind the golfers, everyone.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Maple Meadows yesterday.   I think that will do it for me for the year.  It was basically impossible to figure out club selection with 10 mph winds and 45 degree temps.  Course was in fine shape for November, fairways were real nice.  Greens were very shaggy and slow, extremely difficult to make anything longer then 4 feet.  There was no one out which is always enjoyable, we walked in 3:40 minutes.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shriner said:

Maple Meadows yesterday.   I think that will do it for me for the year.  It was basically impossible to figure out club selection with 10 mph winds and 45 degree temps.  Course was in fine shape for November, fairways were real nice.  Greens were very shaggy and slow, extremely difficult to make anything longer then 4 feet.  There was no one out which is always enjoyable, we walked in 3:40 minutes.  

I'll play this weekend cause it's getting up near and over 60, but otherwise I'm with you.  It's not enjoyable for me to be bundled up out in colder weather, on top of having to figure out your game all over again because the ball isn't flying like it normally is and you can't swing like you normally do.  I don't like golf that much.  My general rule of thumb is once it's too cold to wear shorts it's too cold to golf. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

20 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Cantingy, Bolingbrook were both near or over $100, Arrowhead is still $80, Seven Bridges is down to $75.  I guess this is probably the future of golf.  I guess if they're getting it then more power to them. I just want to know who the hell is paying that type of money to sit out in colder weather for 4 hours. 

This is nothing new, especially at the courses you named. I remember a few years ago wanting to get out to Seven Bridges on Thanksgiving as my parents live extremely close-by in Lisle. The rate was $75 or $85, something silly to play in slop. No thanks.

The one thing that I have noticed is that the time period for courses with "fall" and/or "spring" rates gets shorter and shorter each season. The spring one kills me. Course opens in late March and has "spring" rates for two weeks. April 10th comes around, I guess its summer now, lol. No leaves on the trees and the grass has just started to grow. Honestly, might be best to just stop the charade.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I'll play this weekend cause it's getting up near and over 60, but otherwise I'm with you.  It's not enjoyable for me to be bundled up out in colder weather, on top of having to figure out your game all over again because the ball isn't flying like it normally is and you can't swing like you normally do.  I don't like golf that much.  My general rule of thumb is once it's too cold to wear shorts it's too cold to golf. 

I am a diehard, which is a nice way of saying idiot, so I will be playing until the snow falls. However, my desire at the moment is not as high as it usually is. 

One reason is that I feel we have been spoiled this season. Up until very recently, courses have been relatively dry and firm, especially up in Lake and McHenry Co. Playing in the wet muck last Sunday at GCI sucked. Outside a round or two, I have to go back to last fall to remember similar conditions.

Secondly, I am not swinging the club great at the moment. I was hitting the ball terrific in August and September, but it has been very hit or miss since. Iron play has been all over the map. Driver has been straight, but too many heel hits, which kills my distance. And, I can not afford to lose distance. Of course, not the best time of year to work on your game and with winter coming, what's the point? So, kind of in limbo with the swing. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

I am a diehard, which is a nice way of saying idiot, so I will be playing until the snow falls. However, my desire at the moment is not as high as it usually is. 

One reason is that I feel we have been spoiled this season. Up until very recently, courses have been relatively dry and firm, especially up in Lake and McHenry Co. Playing in the wet muck last Sunday at GCI sucked. Outside a round or two, I have to go back to last fall to remember similar conditions.

Secondly, I am not swinging the club great at the moment. I was hitting the ball terrific in August and September, but it has been very hit or miss since. Iron play has been all over the map. Driver has been straight, but too many heel hits, which kills my distance. And, I can not afford to lose distance. Of course, not the best time of year to work on your game and with winter coming, what's the point? So, kind of in limbo with the swing. 

This is one of my favorite times of the year to play. It doesn't bother me to hit 1 or 2 more clubs on an approach related to temps or because of a jacket. Odds are shorts is the attire on Sunday and possibly tomorrow.  Walking seems to add 10 degrees and it's much easier to get into a rhythm walking and playing.  I'm hoping for another month of golf because I just didn't play as many rounds this year...that darn work thing.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

This is one of my favorite times of the year to play. It doesn't bother me to hit 1 or 2 more clubs on an approach related to temps or because of a jacket. Odds are shorts is the attire on Sunday and possibly tomorrow.  Walking seems to add 10 degrees and it's much easier to get into a rhythm walking and playing.  I'm hoping for another month of golf because I just didn't play as many rounds this year...that darn work thing.

Oh, I definitely agree. I usually love this time of year. Just wish my ball striking was a little better at the moment. That said, I will be on a course somewhere tomorrow.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

SV seems to bloom frost within 15 minutes of sunrise. it's amazing to watch.

the overnights are predicting 39 with a RealFeel of 32.

last week the starter ran out to prevent a group from teeing off at 7:30 like everything was normal.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Royal Meadowlark tomorrow. Striping it right now so gonna leave the sand wedge out of the bag.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Great afternoon @  Oak Park CC.  Course is in fantastic shape, despite fairly recent aeration of fairways and greens, which were not terribly fast (maybe 9-10),  but rolled very true.  Bunkers were probably the finest I’ve played all year, with plenty of white sand.  In typical fashion, played pretty solid golf (wind and temperature were definitely a factor).  Essentially 3 3 putts on front (2 were off the fringe) and 2 birdies on par 3s (here’s a shocker), left me with a 37.  Not bad for first time playing the course (although my boss, the member, gave me a pretty good scouting report on every hole).  
Not sure if it was the accumulation of Zombie Dust, or just typical brain farts, made couple terrible swings on back 9, which resulted in a double (short par 3) and a triple (18) - 42, for another meh 79.    
Ruffled is free to play all day for Arcis Prime members - let’s see how long the weather is going to cooperate.  

Interesting tidbit of information - at the end of the season, the driving range is converted into a trap shooting range.  Not typical to hear shotguns blasting when you’re hitting your shots 😄.  

Edited by stasek
  • Like 3