2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mizuno MP-20 MMC - July 2019

GolfWRX

Iv posted this in my thread however it is relevant and I want to put my feedback in here for those interested.

Finished my fitting a few hours ago and I have gone with the following set up:

4 iron - HMB

5 - 9 Iron - MMC

Project x 6.0 shafts

Standard loft and lie

1/4 inch short

First off tried the Taylormade range and Titleist irons.

Taylormade - was impressed with the performance but the p760 looks so cheap and tacky. The P790s are just rockets and feel so hot. I maanged to get a 7 iron almost rolling to 200 yards. Blade length and head size is also a bit large. I mean I could use them but not for me.

The T series is a big performance step up for Titleist. the T100 is very similar to my AP2 but thinner and less offset. Felt great as well and I could have gone for the T100. Forgiveness wasnt fantastic though and I want to move away from Titleist. The T200 is a superb iron but not for me. Lots of offset and they look horrendous. But really impressed with how they felt and performed.

Mizuno.... just wow.

**MMC**

I started with the MMC in my usual shaft (Project X 6.0) and was averaging 91.5mph swing speed with a 7 iron and carrying the ball between 167-170. Spin rate with my Pro V1 was around 6200 so my spin dropped between 700-800 from my 7 iron AP2. Peak height went from 40 to 38 but the MMC is 2 degrees stronger.

Had my standard baby draw and once i managed to figure how to release the club I was super consistent. The MMC is very forgiving on low strikes. Since im a 'picker' I was delighted with the performance.

They just feel and look so good by the ball. The profile at address is gorgeous. Minimal offset and a thin top line but a fair sized blade length. However, in the bag..... not overly in love with them. The HMB looks better for sure.

I tried various shafts and the fitter wanted to put me in the KBS C-Taper. My numbers were better with the C-Taper on optimal strikes. I was 3 yards longer, launched it a degree lower but spun a fraction more.

I really liked the performance and feel of the shaft. I just hit some clangers with it though and it put me off with the longer irons - so I stuck with what I know. I think there's potential with the C-Taper but I dont have my best swing every round and confidence is huge.

**HMB**

Great club. They are as I expected, pretty bulky in places. The soles are ok but quite large at the toe, especially in the long irons. Average head size and average amounts of offset. Launched 2 degrees higher than the MMC but got a couple mph more ball speed. Peak height was 40 and similar spin. Practically for me - no performance gains what so ever. I just couldn't stop turning the club over though. I was left of target each time and I struggled to flight the HMB. I really wanted to purchase the iron as it looks so beautiful but I just couldn't. It is a bit of a strange one for me. They are extremely easy to launch and I can see an 18 handicapper playing these no problem. I just think they need to either make them smaller and closer to the MMC or give the HMB a bit more ooomf. Maybe slower swing speeds you might see better efficiency compared to the MMC but not for a medium-fast guy like me.

I did however go for the 4 iron in HMB however:)

Love a full 4 iron and the MMC looks a bit scary by the ball. I struck the 4 iron so so good so I decided to HMB it up. I could easily play a full set no problem - i do want to point this out and they were much preferred to the other clubs.

**No Wedge **- decided against it. The profile of the entire set of PW in the MP20 - including the MB, is too large. The face and blade length is long and I have no idea why! Going to get another Vokey at 46.

Thanks for the help all and I hope this post will assist somebody moving forwards.

> @"left hand low" said:

> Just got fitted into them tonight with the $taper X. Debating on whether to combo with HMB but seems people really like the MMC long irons?

> Have there been any people that fell out of love with their MMC? Especially any with the same shafts as me? ?

>

> Loved the feel of these and retained the distance I have in my apex pros. Dispersion was good as well. At one time was thinking I could just pull off the 18 with this shaft but seems the 20 was a definite step up from 18.

Great shaft and I'm trying to decide between the 130x and 120s in the $ taper.

I'm going MMC 4-6 MBs 7-pw

I hit a really high ball as it is and the HMBs just fly way too high for me. Plus the top line is kinda too thick for my liking.

• 2 weeks later...

Any direct comparisons between the 20MMC and the 18 SC? I think I read that the new MMC is more of a replacement for the SC instead of the 18 MMC? Local store to me has the 18 SC on sale for like 55% off of what the 20's cost.

Titleist TSR4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

> @aquapig said:

> > @"left hand low" said:

> > Just got fitted into them tonight with the $taper X. Debating on whether to combo with HMB but seems people really like the MMC long irons?

> > Have there been any people that fell out of love with their MMC? Especially any with the same shafts as me? ?

> >

> > Loved the feel of these and retained the distance I have in my apex pros. Dispersion was good as well. At one time was thinking I could just pull off the 18 with this shaft but seems the 20 was a definite step up from 18.

>

> Great shaft and I'm trying to decide between the 130x and 120s in the $ taper.

>

> I'm going MMC 4-6 MBs 7-pw

>

> I hit a really high ball as it is and the HMBs just fly way too high for me. Plus the top line is kinda too thick for my liking.

>

>

I don’t know what your speed is but the 130x is a big boy shaft. I had the MBs with it and though I hit some nice shots with them, I didn’t load it consistently. X100 is much easier to time for my swing. I would consider soft stepping the 130x once or twice if you want the weight or hard stepping the 120. For reference my 7i is 93/94.

> @infinii said:

> Any direct comparisons between the 20MMC and the 18 SC? I think I read that the new MMC is more of a replacement for the SC instead of the 18 MMC? Local store to me has the 18 SC on sale for like 55% off of what the 20's cost.

>

>

SC are nice but they are closer to the blade in forgiveness. IMO I would get the MP18 blade if you’re looking to save $$$ as even mizuno has said there is next to no difference in performance. The blade will give more response and feel better.

> @SugarPenguin said:

> Iv posted this in my thread however it is relevant and I want to put my feedback in here for those interested.

>

> Finished my fitting a few hours ago and I have gone with the following set up:

>

> 4 iron - HMB

> 5 - 9 Iron - MMC

> Project x 6.0 shafts

> Standard loft and lie

> 1/4 inch short

>

> First off tried the Taylormade range and Titleist irons.

> Taylormade - was impressed with the performance but the p760 looks so cheap and tacky. The P790s are just rockets and feel so hot. I maanged to get a 7 iron almost rolling to 200 yards. Blade length and head size is also a bit large. I mean I could use them but not for me.

>

> The T series is a big performance step up for Titleist. the T100 is very similar to my AP2 but thinner and less offset. Felt great as well and I could have gone for the T100. Forgiveness wasnt fantastic though and I want to move away from Titleist. The T200 is a superb iron but not for me. Lots of offset and they look horrendous. But really impressed with how they felt and performed.

>

> Mizuno.... just wow.

> **MMC**

> I started with the MMC in my usual shaft (Project X 6.0) and was averaging 91.5mph swing speed with a 7 iron and carrying the ball between 167-170. Spin rate with my Pro V1 was around 6200 so my spin dropped between 700-800 from my 7 iron AP2. Peak height went from 40 to 38 but the MMC is 2 degrees stronger.

> Had my standard baby draw and once i managed to figure how to release the club I was super consistent. The MMC is very forgiving on low strikes. Since im a 'picker' I was delighted with the performance.

> They just feel and look so good by the ball. The profile at address is gorgeous. Minimal offset and a thin top line but a fair sized blade length. However, in the bag..... not overly in love with them. The HMB looks better for sure.

>

> I tried various shafts and the fitter wanted to put me in the KBS C-Taper. My numbers were better with the C-Taper on optimal strikes. I was 3 yards longer, launched it a degree lower but spun a fraction more.

> I really liked the performance and feel of the shaft. I just hit some clangers with it though and it put me off with the longer irons - so I stuck with what I know. I think there's potential with the C-Taper but I dont have my best swing every round and confidence is huge.

>

> **HMB**

> Great club. They are as I expected, pretty bulky in places. The soles are ok but quite large at the toe, especially in the long irons. Average head size and average amounts of offset. Launched 2 degrees higher than the MMC but got a couple mph more ball speed. Peak height was 40 and similar spin. Practically for me - no performance gains what so ever. I just couldn't stop turning the club over though. I was left of target each time and I struggled to flight the HMB. I really wanted to purchase the iron as it looks so beautiful but I just couldn't. It is a bit of a strange one for me. They are extremely easy to launch and I can see an 18 handicapper playing these no problem. I just think they need to either make them smaller and closer to the MMC or give the HMB a bit more ooomf. Maybe slower swing speeds you might see better efficiency compared to the MMC but not for a medium-fast guy like me.

> .

> I did however go for the 4 iron in HMB however:)

> Love a full 4 iron and the MMC looks a bit scary by the ball. I struck the 4 iron so so good so I decided to HMB it up. I could easily play a full set no problem - i do want to point this out and they were much preferred to the other clubs.

>

> **No Wedge **- decided against it. The profile of the entire set of PW in the MP20 - including the MB, is too large. The face and blade length is long and I have no idea why! Going to get another Vokey at 46.

>

> Thanks for the help all and I hope this post will assist somebody moving forwards.

Great write up. I agree re: HMB. Beautiful club but for me the sole is just too large. It creates problems with flighting as you said and I also think the low bounce and wide sole leads to digging and overall turf interaction issues in soft conditions. Didn’t see many pros gaming the fli hi from the 18 range. I had one for a minute and the feel was very soft but just hated the sole. I may get an MMC 4 iron to go with my MB.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > > @"left hand low" said:

> > > Just got fitted into them tonight with the $taper X. Debating on whether to combo with HMB but seems people really like the MMC long irons?

> > > Have there been any people that fell out of love with their MMC? Especially any with the same shafts as me? ?

> > >

> > > Loved the feel of these and retained the distance I have in my apex pros. Dispersion was good as well. At one time was thinking I could just pull off the 18 with this shaft but seems the 20 was a definite step up from 18.

> >

> > Great shaft and I'm trying to decide between the 130x and 120s in the $ taper.

> >

> > I'm going MMC 4-6 MBs 7-pw

> >

> > I hit a really high ball as it is and the HMBs just fly way too high for me. Plus the top line is kinda too thick for my liking.

> >

> >

>

> I don’t know what your speed is but the 130x is a big boy shaft. I had the MBs with it and though I hit some nice shots with them, I didn’t load it consistently. X100 is much easier to time for my swing. I would consider soft stepping the 130x once or twice if you want the weight or hard stepping the 120. For reference my 7i is 93/94.

>

I went 130 $-taper, 7i is similar, but I have a very aggressive transition/pull the handle. Just a different profile vs X100, stiffer handle section so you can't feel the load in your hands as much but the tip section is more active. I went with the full set of MMCs, have a spare MP18 MMC Flihi that I will shaft up and compare to the mmc 4i. I did not like the HMB either, I actually think its weird to combo those with the MMC, visually just throws me off having a bubbly looking blade on top of a players iron.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @aquapig said:

> > > > @"left hand low" said:

> > > > Just got fitted into them tonight with the $taper X. Debating on whether to combo with HMB but seems people really like the MMC long irons?

> > > > Have there been any people that fell out of love with their MMC? Especially any with the same shafts as me? ?

> > > >

> > > > Loved the feel of these and retained the distance I have in my apex pros. Dispersion was good as well. At one time was thinking I could just pull off the 18 with this shaft but seems the 20 was a definite step up from 18.

> > >

> > > Great shaft and I'm trying to decide between the 130x and 120s in the $ taper.

> > >

> > > I'm going MMC 4-6 MBs 7-pw

> > >

> > > I hit a really high ball as it is and the HMBs just fly way too high for me. Plus the top line is kinda too thick for my liking.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I don’t know what your speed is but the 130x is a big boy shaft. I had the MBs with it and though I hit some nice shots with them, I didn’t load it consistently. X100 is much easier to time for my swing. I would consider soft stepping the 130x once or twice if you want the weight or hard stepping the 120. For reference my 7i is 93/94.

> >

>

>

> I went 130 $-taper, 7i is similar, but I have a very aggressive transition/pull the handle. Just a different profile vs X100, stiffer handle section so you can't feel the load in your hands as much but the tip section is more active. I went with the full set of MMCs, have a spare MP18 MMC Flihi that I will shaft up and compare to the mmc 4i. I did not like the HMB either, I actually think its weird to combo those with the MMC, visually just throws me off having a bubbly looking blade on top of a players iron.

>

Reading up on things I kind of wish I went MMC now as I don’t think I would’ve sacrificed much in feel for more forgiveness but thinking about it the blades didn’t seem to have big drop offs so should be okay. The MP20 release has been a big success for mizuno much like the 919 was. They are proving once again that they make the best irons in the business.

My swing speed isn't overly high. I swing my 7i around 88-90 mph. Usually hit my 7i about 165-170.

But whenever I'm fit or put on the Mizuno optimizer it always puts me in X flex. I think it's more about transition and loading, then speed.

I think I may go $ taper 120 s and hard step it.

I have played DG S300 forever, but feel those start to feel heavy towards the end of my rounds at times.

I honestly know very little about shafts. I know I will go do a full fitting outside on grass soon. I tend to swing a lot more "true" off grass with a target, as opposed to hitting off a mat into a screen.

> @aquapig said:

> My swing speed isn't overly high. I swing my 7i around 88-90 mph. Usually hit my 7i about 165-170.

>

> But whenever I'm fit or put on the Mizuno optimizer it always puts me in X flex. I think it's more about transition and loading, then speed.

>

> I think I may go $ taper 120 s and hard step it.

>

> I have played DG S300 forever, but feel those start to feel heavy towards the end of my rounds at times.

>

> I honestly know very little about shafts. I know I will go do a full fitting outside on grass soon. I tend to swing a lot more "true" off grass with a target, as opposed to hitting off a mat into a screen.

I swing 7 iron 85mph in Mizuno optimizer and it always puts me in x flex or px 6.0 with 120g shaft weight range. I have a quick tempo. I too always hit dg s300 (20+ years) and like it, I prefer a heavier shaft in my irons and wedges.

Before I ordered my MP20 set I hit literally every shaft in the Mizuno fitting cart off grass range. It did not like the feel of the x flex or px lz. So they were eliminated. I focused on every stiff flex, anything under 115g was eliminated, could not get with super light shaft.

I ended back in the dynamic gold family with the dg 120 s300. Slightly lighter, but same feel as 130g s300. Truthfully, pretty much all the shafts were same distance wise, maybe +/- 1 yard. I was used the dg feel and felt I was more accurate due to familiarity with the shaft profile.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @lefty1978 said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > My swing speed isn't overly high. I swing my 7i around 88-90 mph. Usually hit my 7i about 165-170.

> >

> > But whenever I'm fit or put on the Mizuno optimizer it always puts me in X flex. I think it's more about transition and loading, then speed.

> >

> > I think I may go $ taper 120 s and hard step it.

> >

> > I have played DG S300 forever, but feel those start to feel heavy towards the end of my rounds at times.

> >

> > I honestly know very little about shafts. I know I will go do a full fitting outside on grass soon. I tend to swing a lot more "true" off grass with a target, as opposed to hitting off a mat into a screen.

>

> I swing 7 iron 85mph in Mizuno optimizer and it always puts me in x flex or px 6.0 with 120g shaft weight range. I have a quick tempo. I too always hit dg s300 (20+ years) and like it, I prefer a heavier shaft in my irons and wedges.

>

> Before I ordered my MP20 set I hit literally every shaft in the Mizuno fitting cart off grass range. It did not like the feel of the x flex or px lz. So they were eliminated. I focused on every stiff flex, anything under 115g was eliminated, could not get with super light shaft.

>

> I ended back in the dynamic gold family with the dg 120 s300. Slightly lighter, but same feel as 130g s300. Truthfully, pretty much all the shafts were same distance wise, maybe +/- 1 yard. I was used the dg feel and felt I was more accurate due to familiarity with the shaft profile.

Almost everyone I have talked to has the optimizer put them in X flex... it’s very weird. I will say that my dispersion improved dramatically. The thing is though, that up here in Canada I spend a good portion of my season in spring and fall playing in 40-50 degree temps. My first rounds with the $Taper X were in layers and a coat. I could load them fine indoors but put me in near freezing with a restricted swing and it just wasn’t working. That said, I played the X100 in my Srixons for the first time in +1 over freezing and they were absolutely fine. IMO X100 is the most playable X if you like a heavier shaft. I probably won’t move away from dynamic gold again. If I need less weight I’ll go 120 or AMT. There is a reason it’s the most used shaft on tour.

Interesting. I did a fitting a while ago and the fitter got me to use the new Mizuno shaft optimizer as well. Go figure, x-flex. After actually swinging a bunch of shafts, the best fit appears to be the KBS Tour 120 in stiff. I currently play KBS Tour V in stiff, so slightly lighter.

Going back to try some more irons. Hit the MP20 HMB well, but no better than my current sticks. Want to try the MMCs again.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

> @lefty1978 said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > My swing speed isn't overly high. I swing my 7i around 88-90 mph. Usually hit my 7i about 165-170.

> >

> > But whenever I'm fit or put on the Mizuno optimizer it always puts me in X flex. I think it's more about transition and loading, then speed.

> >

> > I think I may go $ taper 120 s and hard step it.

> >

> > I have played DG S300 forever, but feel those start to feel heavy towards the end of my rounds at times.

> >

> > I honestly know very little about shafts. I know I will go do a full fitting outside on grass soon. I tend to swing a lot more "true" off grass with a target, as opposed to hitting off a mat into a screen.

>

> I swing 7 iron 85mph in Mizuno optimizer and it always puts me in x flex or px 6.0 with 120g shaft weight range. I have a quick tempo. I too always hit dg s300 (20+ years) and like it, I prefer a heavier shaft in my irons and wedges.

>

> Before I ordered my MP20 set I hit literally every shaft in the Mizuno fitting cart off grass range. It did not like the feel of the x flex or px lz. So they were eliminated. I focused on every stiff flex, anything under 115g was eliminated, could not get with super light shaft.

>

> I ended back in the dynamic gold family with the dg 120 s300. Slightly lighter, but same feel as 130g s300. Truthfully, pretty much all the shafts were same distance wise, maybe +/- 1 yard. I was used the dg feel and felt I was more accurate due to familiarity with the shaft profile.

How are you liking the new irons and shafts?

As of right now, I'm leaning towards MP20 PW-7i MMC 5,6,4 with $ Taper 120S hard stepped once.

But I want to do the same thing you did and hit as many different combos off grass first.

Thanks for the info!

> @balls_deep said:

> > @lefty1978 said:

> > > @aquapig said:

> > > My swing speed isn't overly high. I swing my 7i around 88-90 mph. Usually hit my 7i about 165-170.

> > >

> > > But whenever I'm fit or put on the Mizuno optimizer it always puts me in X flex. I think it's more about transition and loading, then speed.

> > >

> > > I think I may go $ taper 120 s and hard step it.

> > >

> > > I have played DG S300 forever, but feel those start to feel heavy towards the end of my rounds at times.

> > >

> > > I honestly know very little about shafts. I know I will go do a full fitting outside on grass soon. I tend to swing a lot more "true" off grass with a target, as opposed to hitting off a mat into a screen.

> >

> > I swing 7 iron 85mph in Mizuno optimizer and it always puts me in x flex or px 6.0 with 120g shaft weight range. I have a quick tempo. I too always hit dg s300 (20+ years) and like it, I prefer a heavier shaft in my irons and wedges.

> >

> > Before I ordered my MP20 set I hit literally every shaft in the Mizuno fitting cart off grass range. It did not like the feel of the x flex or px lz. So they were eliminated. I focused on every stiff flex, anything under 115g was eliminated, could not get with super light shaft.

> >

> > I ended back in the dynamic gold family with the dg 120 s300. Slightly lighter, but same feel as 130g s300. Truthfully, pretty much all the shafts were same distance wise, maybe +/- 1 yard. I was used the dg feel and felt I was more accurate due to familiarity with the shaft profile.

>

>

> Almost everyone I have talked to has the optimizer put them in X flex... it’s very weird. I will say that my dispersion improved dramatically. The thing is though, that up here in Canada I spend a good portion of my season in spring and fall playing in 40-50 degree temps. My first rounds with the $Taper X were in layers and a coat. I could load them fine indoors but put me in near freezing with a restricted swing and it just wasn’t working. That said, I played the X100 in my Srixons for the first time in +1 over freezing and they were absolutely fine. IMO X100 is the most playable X if you like a heavier shaft. I probably won’t move away from dynamic gold again. If I need less weight I’ll go 120 or AMT. There is a reason it’s the most used shaft on tour.

I don't understand how you hardcore golfers can live in cold weather places and not go absolutely crazy in the winter.

I have been in Florida my entire life and right now, the weather is perfect. 72 high today, no clouds, light wind. Sorry, but I just had it rub it in. ;)

> @aquapig said:

> > @lefty1978 said:

> > > @aquapig said:

> > > My swing speed isn't overly high. I swing my 7i around 88-90 mph. Usually hit my 7i about 165-170.

> > >

> > > But whenever I'm fit or put on the Mizuno optimizer it always puts me in X flex. I think it's more about transition and loading, then speed.

> > >

> > >

> > > I have played DG S300 forever, but feel those start to feel heavy towards the end of my rounds at times.

> > >

> > > I honestly know very little about shafts. I know I will go do a full fitting outside on grass soon. I tend to swing a lot more "true" off grass with a target, as opposed to hitting off a mat into a screen.

> >

> > I swing 7 iron 85mph in Mizuno optimizer and it always puts me in x flex or px 6.0 with 120g shaft weight range. I have a quick tempo. I too always hit dg s300 (20+ years) and like it, I prefer a heavier shaft in my irons and wedges.

> >

> > Before I ordered my MP20 set I hit literally every shaft in the Mizuno fitting cart off grass range. It did not like the feel of the x flex or px lz. So they were eliminated. I focused on every stiff flex, anything under 115g was eliminated, could not get with super light shaft.

> >

> > I ended back in the dynamic gold family with the dg 120 s300. Slightly lighter, but same feel as 130g s300. Truthfully, pretty much all the shafts were same distance wise, maybe +/- 1 yard. I was used the dg feel and felt I was more accurate due to familiarity with the shaft profile.

>

> How are you liking the new irons and shafts?

>

> As of right now, I'm leaning towards MP20 PW-7i MMC 5,6,4 with $ Taper 120S hard stepped once.

>

> But I want to do the same thing you did and hit as many different combos off grass first.

>

> Thanks for the info!

>

So far I love them, no complaints. I'm a lefty so I have 5-pw in mb and 4 iron HMB, just ordered the 3 iron HMB a couple days ago. I wish I could have tried the MMCs, they do look nice.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @aquapig said:

> > @lefty1978 said:

> > > @aquapig said:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

> How are you liking the new irons and shafts?

>

> As of right now, I'm leaning towards MP20 PW-7i MMC 5,6,4 with $ Taper 120S hard stepped once.

>

> But I want to do the same thing you did and hit as many different combos off grass first.

>

> Thanks for the info!

>

You can also get the $taper 125 (S+) . The dispersion was much tighter for me with the 130 vs the 120 (big left miss with the 120). The 125 might be a sweet spot for you

> @aquapig said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @lefty1978 said:

> > > > @aquapig said:

> > > > My swing speed isn't overly high. I swing my 7i around 88-90 mph. Usually hit my 7i about 165-170.

> > > >

> > > > But whenever I'm fit or put on the Mizuno optimizer it always puts me in X flex. I think it's more about transition and loading, then speed.

> > > >

> > > > I think I may go $ taper 120 s and hard step it.

> > > >

> > > > I have played DG S300 forever, but feel those start to feel heavy towards the end of my rounds at times.

> > > >

> > > > I honestly know very little about shafts. I know I will go do a full fitting outside on grass soon. I tend to swing a lot more "true" off grass with a target, as opposed to hitting off a mat into a screen.

> > >

> > > I swing 7 iron 85mph in Mizuno optimizer and it always puts me in x flex or px 6.0 with 120g shaft weight range. I have a quick tempo. I too always hit dg s300 (20+ years) and like it, I prefer a heavier shaft in my irons and wedges.

> > >

> > > Before I ordered my MP20 set I hit literally every shaft in the Mizuno fitting cart off grass range. It did not like the feel of the x flex or px lz. So they were eliminated. I focused on every stiff flex, anything under 115g was eliminated, could not get with super light shaft.

> > >

> > > I ended back in the dynamic gold family with the dg 120 s300. Slightly lighter, but same feel as 130g s300. Truthfully, pretty much all the shafts were same distance wise, maybe +/- 1 yard. I was used the dg feel and felt I was more accurate due to familiarity with the shaft profile.

> >

> >

> > Almost everyone I have talked to has the optimizer put them in X flex... it’s very weird. I will say that my dispersion improved dramatically. The thing is though, that up here in Canada I spend a good portion of my season in spring and fall playing in 40-50 degree temps. My first rounds with the $Taper X were in layers and a coat. I could load them fine indoors but put me in near freezing with a restricted swing and it just wasn’t working. That said, I played the X100 in my Srixons for the first time in +1 over freezing and they were absolutely fine. IMO X100 is the most playable X if you like a heavier shaft. I probably won’t move away from dynamic gold again. If I need less weight I’ll go 120 or AMT. There is a reason it’s the most used shaft on tour.

>

> I don't understand how you hardcore golfers can live in cold weather places and not go absolutely crazy in the winter.

>

> I have been in Florida my entire life and right now, the weather is perfect. 72 high today, no clouds, light wind. Sorry, but I just had it rub it in. ;)

Yeah its rough. 45 and raining all week in Boston

> @Krt22 said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > > @lefty1978 said:

> > > > @aquapig said:

> > > > My swing speed isn't overly high. I swing my 7i around 88-90 mph. Usually hit my 7i about 165-170.

> > > >

> > > > But whenever I'm fit or put on the Mizuno optimizer it always puts me in X flex. I think it's more about transition and loading, then speed.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I have played DG S300 forever, but feel those start to feel heavy towards the end of my rounds at times.

> > > >

> > > > I honestly know very little about shafts. I know I will go do a full fitting outside on grass soon. I tend to swing a lot more "true" off grass with a target, as opposed to hitting off a mat into a screen.

> > >

> > > I swing 7 iron 85mph in Mizuno optimizer and it always puts me in x flex or px 6.0 with 120g shaft weight range. I have a quick tempo. I too always hit dg s300 (20+ years) and like it, I prefer a heavier shaft in my irons and wedges.

> > >

> > > Before I ordered my MP20 set I hit literally every shaft in the Mizuno fitting cart off grass range. It did not like the feel of the x flex or px lz. So they were eliminated. I focused on every stiff flex, anything under 115g was eliminated, could not get with super light shaft.

> > >

> > > I ended back in the dynamic gold family with the dg 120 s300. Slightly lighter, but same feel as 130g s300. Truthfully, pretty much all the shafts were same distance wise, maybe +/- 1 yard. I was used the dg feel and felt I was more accurate due to familiarity with the shaft profile.

> >

> > How are you liking the new irons and shafts?

> >

> > As of right now, I'm leaning towards MP20 PW-7i MMC 5,6,4 with $ Taper 120S hard stepped once.

> >

> > But I want to do the same thing you did and hit as many different combos off grass first.

> >

> > Thanks for the info!

> >

>

> You can also get the $taper 125 (S+) . The dispersion was much tighter for me with the 130 vs the 120 (big left miss with the 120). The 125 might be a sweet spot for you

Unfortunately Mizuno doesn't offer the 125. Then it's about deciding whether to softstep 130 or hardstep 120. Hard to test this unfortunately...

> @aquapig said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @lefty1978 said:

> > > > @aquapig said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> > Almost everyone I have talked to has the optimizer put them in X flex... it’s very weird. I will say that my dispersion improved dramatically. The thing is though, that up here in Canada I spend a good portion of my season in spring and fall playing in 40-50 degree temps. My first rounds with the $Taper X were in layers and a coat. I could load them fine indoors but put me in near freezing with a restricted swing and it just wasn’t working. That said, I played the X100 in my Srixons for the first time in +1 over freezing and they were absolutely fine. IMO X100 is the most playable X if you like a heavier shaft. I probably won’t move away from dynamic gold again. If I need less weight I’ll go 120 or AMT. There is a reason it’s the most used shaft on tour.

>

> I don't understand how you hardcore golfers can live in cold weather places and not go absolutely crazy in the winter.

>

> I have been in Florida my entire life and right now, the weather is perfect. 72 high today, no clouds, light wind. Sorry, but I just had it rub it in. ;)

It's bad but not so bad. I parents rent a condo at Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville for the month of feb and my inlaws have a place in Port Charlotte on a course. Between that, playing in the cold, and sims, I get by until spring.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > > @lefty1978 said:

> > > > @aquapig said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > How are you liking the new irons and shafts?

> >

> > As of right now, I'm leaning towards MP20 PW-7i MMC 5,6,4 with $ Taper 120S hard stepped once.

> >

> > But I want to do the same thing you did and hit as many different combos off grass first.

> >

> > Thanks for the info!

> >

>

> You can also get the $taper 125 (S+) . The dispersion was much tighter for me with the 130 vs the 120 (big left miss with the 120). The 125 might be a sweet spot for you

Does Mizuno offer that shaft with the MP 20 line?

> @aquapig said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @aquapig said:

> > > > @lefty1978 said:

> > > > > @aquapig said:

> > > > > My swing speed isn't overly high. I swing my 7i around 88-90 mph. Usually hit my 7i about 165-170.

> > > > >

> > > > > But whenever I'm fit or put on the Mizuno optimizer it always puts me in X flex. I think it's more about transition and loading, then speed.

> > > > >

> > > > > I think I may go $ taper 120 s and hard step it.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have played DG S300 forever, but feel those start to feel heavy towards the end of my rounds at times.

> > > > >

> > > > > I honestly know very little about shafts. I know I will go do a full fitting outside on grass soon. I tend to swing a lot more "true" off grass with a target, as opposed to hitting off a mat into a screen.

> > > >

> > > > I swing 7 iron 85mph in Mizuno optimizer and it always puts me in x flex or px 6.0 with 120g shaft weight range. I have a quick tempo. I too always hit dg s300 (20+ years) and like it, I prefer a heavier shaft in my irons and wedges.

> > > >

> > > > Before I ordered my MP20 set I hit literally every shaft in the Mizuno fitting cart off grass range. It did not like the feel of the x flex or px lz. So they were eliminated. I focused on every stiff flex, anything under 115g was eliminated, could not get with super light shaft.

> > > >

> > > > I ended back in the dynamic gold family with the dg 120 s300. Slightly lighter, but same feel as 130g s300. Truthfully, pretty much all the shafts were same distance wise, maybe +/- 1 yard. I was used the dg feel and felt I was more accurate due to familiarity with the shaft profile.

> > >

> > > How are you liking the new irons and shafts?

> > >

> > > As of right now, I'm leaning towards MP20 PW-7i MMC 5,6,4 with $ Taper 120S hard stepped once.

> > >

> > > But I want to do the same thing you did and hit as many different combos off grass first.

> > >

> > > Thanks for the info!

> > >

> >

> > You can also get the $taper 125 (S+) . The dispersion was much tighter for me with the 130 vs the 120 (big left miss with the 120). The 125 might be a sweet spot for you

>

> Does Mizuno offer that shaft with the MP 20 line?

No unfortunately only 120S or 130X. IMO the 125 S+ would fit a ton of players around that 90mph 7 iron speed.

> @toddmanley said:

> Due to my need to go +2" on the HMB irons I've got a set of hard-stepped 120S $-Tapers. I've always had better luck hard-stepping a lighter shaft given my overlength needs.

Can someone explain to me what is done when the shaft is hard stepped. I'm assuming it makes the flex stiffer? But can someone explain what is done.

Just taken ownership of my new MP-20 combo. Went 4-7 in the MMC (3i HMB / 8,9,PW MB) with KBS $-taper 130. These gave me a much better ball flight. The tours in my last set ballooned a bit too much and the descent angle was coming in at around 50* but the $-tapers brought it back down to about 47* and a more penetrating ball flight. Spin was a bit lower and the carry distance was the same as my old 30* 7i at about 180 yards. At the time I was swinging at around 93-94 mph.

I can understand the thought of being able to load the shaft effectively but I’m on the harder side of swinging so they will suit me fine. For people who are a bit smoother then I’d go 120 or 130 soft stepped to get the right flex. But would depend on how they load it.

Hopefully tonight I can get on the range and put them through there paces.

Also I had to go black shafts as they looked sick when built up, was able to see a set up close and couldn’t say no!

> @aquapig said:

> > @toddmanley said:

> > Due to my need to go +2" on the HMB irons I've got a set of hard-stepped 120S $-Tapers. I've always had better luck hard-stepping a lighter shaft given my overlength needs.

>

> Can someone explain to me what is done when the shaft is hard stepped. I'm assuming it makes the flex stiffer? But can someone explain what is done.

For taper tip shafts, it's moving the shafts from one iron up in the set, ie putting a 6i shaft into the 5i. Plays 1/3 of a flex stiffer

> @aquapig said:

> > @toddmanley said:

> > Due to my need to go +2" on the HMB irons I've got a set of hard-stepped 120S $-Tapers. I've always had better luck hard-stepping a lighter shaft given my overlength needs.

>

> Can someone explain to me what is done when the shaft is hard stepped. I'm assuming it makes the flex stiffer? But can someone explain what is done.

Here's an overview: http://www.golfclubshaftreview.com/hard-stepping--soft-stepping.html

Pretty much makes each club play just a tad stiffer. I'm not a club builder so if I'm in the wrong I stand corrected.

Tried my 7-PW MMC off mats today. Feel really good, look really good and are.... good. They are noticeably smaller then my old irons but didn’t really mess with me. Not big on golf shaft companies or brands but I didn’t notice that the project X’s I got are a smooth piece haha kind of distracting. Can’t wait till I can game them at a real course now.