Played my 1st pro-am, and got big leagued by a nobody!

kazuinda808

I don’t think most are on the OP for his experience or opinion , mostly the entitled delivery of that gripe.

“ big leagued by a nobody “. Who’s the bigger nobody ? The young pro with no name or the guy who pays big bucks to play 9 holes with him ? Just rubs sane people wrong to come out of the gate with that type attitude.

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

For a Wednesday pro am this is really lame on the pros part. If it’s a real tournament round then get out of their way and let them behave as they normally would. The pros should understand they are playing a game for a living and without the fans they would be selling insurance or selling shirts in The clubhouse and running the member guest.

its really not that hard to be nice to people, a couple of friendly words here or there does not distract someone from a practice round. I would have called the guy out to his face on the 18th in front of everyone

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I do think that the player in a pro am must make an effort to provide a good experience for the ams.

That said, I disagree with,

“without the fans they would be selling insurance or selling shirts in The clubhouse and running the member guest.”

The fans aren’t fans out of generosity. They are there to satisfy their lust for entertainment!

The athletes pay their dues, blood sweat and tears, and, let’s face it, fans will turn their backs on an athlete if they don’t perform and call them a “bum” or worse with zero regard for if the guy ends up in a van down by the river!

The players are the ones who generate demand. Without the athletes, fans be watchin like, downtown Abby ; )

Ive never, even as a kid, thought that athletes “owe” the fans anything. Just performing at top level is all they need to do to earn my thanks.

I'm a no expectation having MF'er so I'd give the guy a pass for professionally ghosting our group all round.

I can also understand how it would be upsetting to not have any engagement whatsover...but hey, we're talking a rookie here...not many legendary tales are coming out of this 5 hours of your life.

I'd like to imagine I'd be a super fun Pro to play with and I'd be sure to make the am-hacks laugh and have fun all day long. Or maybe the whole business side of the game would get to me and turn me into a cynical, unappreciative SOB, and my aloofness during the Pro Ams was just me struggling to get through it without losing my s**t. Be good to consider the many things going on in the Pro's life before judging him on going mute for 18 holes.

I haven't golfed in months...I'd even play a round with a few of you guys right now I'm that desperate!

Think about it though. The OP sounds like “ that guy “. The one who expects the “ Phil experience. “. Everybody isn’t Phil , rolls out of bed loving them some Phil and wanting to tell everyone about it.

I doubt very seriously if the story is accurate , in that “ zero interaction “? Would be extremely hard to pull off. The truth is likely in the middle. The Op has high expectations , and he met a guy who’s probably an introvert having a stressful week/day.

You and I both know that some days are better than others on that front. I have days where I’d walk out of a store if I see someone I don’t want to be stuck talking to , rather than stay and finish my business. He just caught a young guy who isn’t outgoing , having a stressful day because he wasn’t prepared for the tournament. Hardly reason to have this little tantrum.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Exactly. Fans are hooked. They aren’t going anywhere. And the rich enjoying a pro am are hardly spokespersons for the “ fan base “ at large.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Makes a lot of sense there Blade, I agree, like normal, the real truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. However, going just on how it was recounted here, it still takes no effort to mumble out a “good shot” or something similar here or there. Anyone know how much the pros are paid for playing in this pro am?

During an actual tournament round I agree. During a practice round when someone is paying for the experience I disagree all the time every time. It’s really just extraordinary rude on the pros part.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Sports is a product like any product . They need to keep ensuring it's good or people will move to other competing products. Lots of sports out there, I watch less golf than I used to and dont watch basketball anymore. I watch the NFL now after not watching it for years

Fans are fickle. One day you love big Macs and a year later you dont eat them anymore

Focusing on always improving your product and providing customers the best experience possible is always a good idea

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

And I agree there. I’d be able to fake it enough to not get in trouble for sure. And be genuine too if he hit a good shot. Lol.

Im not excusing the behavior really. But two wrongs don’t make me want to side with the OP. You can tell a lot by the OPs use of “ me” and not us when he speaks of the lack of interaction. He doesn’t say he doesn’t speak to the group. Just “doesn’t say anything to me”. And then he posts that here. Kid should put on the tap shoes a dance a little. But this guy wants to dictate for whom and when he dances too me thinks.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The primary income of the tour is TV and gate/booze. This is provided by the “commoner”. This is how....The sponsors provide the TV money. The *only reason the sponsors pay a nickel is because they know their ads for drugs, cars, and razor blades will be seen by the “commoners” and they will buy what they are peddling.

In turn, the only reason the fans will watch is to hope to see stuff like,

V8EJQDAHUU26.jpeg

So, it’s the athletes that make it all happen. The rich, poor, sponsors, don’t care about them. They are just after the money.

That said, if a guy or his company pays for a pro am spot, they should expect a little appreciation and small talk at least ; )

man, this sf/gb game, smh....

yes. As a general rule. But people need to have very little expectations for these type things. You got a good 9 holes. And a mediocre 9. Be glad not sad. Set your expectations low and life gets easier to live through.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I would guess for the most part the experience is good in pro ams or people would stop doing them. I just think the tour should stress that to their players as much as they can, and if guys dont act properly than talk to them.

If it were mostly a bad experience people would stop paying for it. The tour doesn't want to get to that point

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Right. And I agree. I’m sure this is a one off , and could absolutely be used as a teaching moment. But the OP just doesn’t help himself win any sympathy.

This type thing always brings me back to a wise old mans words on the subject of expectations and feeling entitled. He said to me “ how many times last year did you send food back in a restaurant “? I answered that I didn’t recall ever sending anything back. And he said “ then your probably about right in what to expect “. Seemed dumb to me at the time. But years later I think on it often as I haunt several restaurants regularly and am recognized by sight and always well cared for. And he was right. We invite service both good and bad by our expectations and reactions to certain things. As in I always receive great service and preferential seating etc without asking. My wife has an aunt who is never satisfied and “ can’t find a good place to eat “. And we go to the same places.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yes. If he came out of pocket I agree. If a sponsor gifted the ticket. Then let him tell the sponsor and let them complain. Not him. Most of these spots are gifted to people by sponsors Him complaining is like the dads brother in home alone yelling “ your dad paid good money for this trip , don’t you spoil it for me you little twirp”

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock