Played my 1st pro-am, and got big leagued by a nobody!

kazuinda808

I've played in one Pro-Am on the Senior Tour. Played 3 rounds each day with a pro or celebrity. Aside from wanting to throw up on the first tee hitting in front of a crowd I had a great time. The pro was Bert Yancy who was polite but not talkative at all. He was there to make money plus he had a history of mental health issues so we gave him space. One round was with Gale Sayers who had just taken up the game. His motor was running red line all day and he zoomed to his ball like I remember him running a kickoff back. He didn't have a clue what he was doing but he was good company. The other round was with Duke Synder and not only could he play (shot 69 or so) he was a hoot to play with. After he got to know us a little he didn't pass on an opportunity to dish out some trash talk when we hit a clunker, and he was quick to give atta-boys when we hit a good shot.

While I had a great time with Duke and an OK time with Gale, I didn't let the fact that Bert was all business and didn't have much to say ruin the experience. Walking inside the ropes and hitting shots in front of people is a weird experience that was worth the price of admission.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

well said LH. Every situation is different.

Ā 

in regards to hearing about the front 9, I donā€™t see where that has any relevance. I believe he only played the back 9 with this pro, which was what the original post was about. So even if he had a great pro and a great time on the front, it doesnā€™t change the experience he was posting about. That being said, I still will he come back into the discussion.

Well, we seemed to have chased off a new member. Posted once and never came back. Didn't think anyone was being too hard on him.

• Like 1

Ā 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19Ā°,22Ā° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72Ā 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Ā 

Ā 

Very nice! That's why I like the little quote at the end of my sig so well.

Ā 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19Ā°,22Ā° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72Ā 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Ā 

Ā 

While it's true, it always ticks me off a little when people complain about their pro-am experience like they're some kind of victims. They take what's supposed to be their donation to a charity, which should be done with no strings attached, and turn it into their own special entitlement.

That tournament was held on a course he'd never played before, and instead of being understanding all the OP could do was whine about him being "consumed with practicing where he'd never played before." And then he went on to complain how the kid spent 5-8 minutes studying each green." ... WTF, really? How dare he spend time studying greens, he'd never played before, and was going to have to under the gun the next day for his livelihood on the line? Really? What I'm also not buying is the idea that anybody, had anything more than a minute or two - 5-8 is a lie.

I mean, I get it, the kid was a bump on a log. He wasn't running around backslapping people, pumping them up, and telling jokes. Maybe he was nervous. Maybe he was a bit of an introvert. Maybe he hadn't taken his anti-anxiety meds that morning. ... And maybe the original poster was a putz.

I've played in a handful of pro-ams over the years - and some were great experiences, and others not so much.

But what really gets on my nerves is that I bet the OP didn't have the balls to post this under his own name on social media, and instead hid behind an alias here to call the kid out in his one and only post on this forum. ... Pathetic!

But seeing as every "story" has another side to it, I wonder what this young pro's take on kazuinda808 and his own behavior?

I can tell you my friend worked a lee trevino clinic in the early 90s prior to a pro am at innisbrook and filmed it.I still have the VHS cassette.Lee is absolutely torching people on the range. One by one hes just needling them.the guy doesnt stop talking. Not everyone can be Lee. Kevin kisner gives it pretty good in these types of events. He roasts pretty much anyone he plays with. Stenson believe it or not is quite the smack talker at these things.not everyone is comfortable being that way

well yall, here I am. while I didn't expect this kind of response, and no way can I reply to all the inquiries, i'll stick to rebutting to Mr. RP40, aka the guy calling me out for not using my name. Go ahead and change your handle to your name. I have every reason to be 'ticked' off and be the victim here, I traveled on a 10 hour flight to Oahu, each way, and spent the equivalent of 4 mortgage payments cash for the opportunity. Yes my front 9 pro was great, just in the sense that he was a cordial, well mannered person. we were keeping a team score for the proam and he went out of his way to help us read putts. He even watched us tee off from the same tee box we were playing said nice shot every once in awhile. This is golf, we play a game that often we get paired up with total complete strangers. Just like a pro am. And like the muni round, the game doesn't call for being a d-bag with your group. you don't hold up play, you use manners. we golfers are more civil than the average person. so, with me paying for the opportunity. RP40 you are way off base saying proam money is for charity, that's not my view. I am paying for the opportunity to play with a pro, Don't care if its robby Shelton or rory Sabatini, there should be a higher level of cordiality in a proam as I am paying for their company. I don't do it for charitable causes. I could have stayed home and wrote a check.

not sure what tournament youre confusing the sony with (amex?), its only on waialae not 3 courses. the 'kid' had ample opportunity to study and pace the course, like the whole 7 days prior, or whatever is calendar allowed.. he wasn't cold just to me but the whole group. he played the tips and us the whites. he still outdrove us so after we teed off, he hung back going over his yardage book, and after we hit our second, he'd meander to his ball and play his shot.

RP40, when you can hit a 4 iron, you can call me a putz

• Like 1

And there we go! Thanks for sharing a bit more about the other side of the experience.

OP, given the displeasure with Shelton, wouldn't do any harm to name the first 9 pro and spread some positive stuff about him. Any more you want to share about the positive party of the experience would be of interest to quite a few, I think. How it came about (in general), how the day started, proceeded (and for some, and not kidding, the precise lofts and lies on all his irons). The rant was the rant and at this point, noted, and I doubt very seriously if anyone thinks the guy should have acted the way you describe.

Ā 

sorry, that would make it too easy for some to ID my group. The Sony does have 2 separate pro ams on different days. Don't want to cause too many ripples with my cohorts. I will say he plays out of Sea Island and he shared with us the comradery that crew shares and support they all have of each other. he talked a bit on the influence uncle Davis (Love) has on they all. The impressive thing in person is even if they are not bubba long, the sound coming off the irons is explosive. Probably the effect hitting the sweet spot every time, and the fact they unlike RP40, hit the ball first. It was windy as heck that day and the control on flight levels was impressive.

and of course the other perks that came with pro am participation was nice, free admission all week with the badge, parking near the tournament site, & sky box access with food and adult beverages gratis.

Hmm...

Yeah. I thought it would be obvious that I was exaggerating.

What I was trying to emphasize is that people are not entitled to OP's explanation of the rest of the round.

And my point stands that you and others are taking this way too seriously.

You cherry picked one thing I said but ignored the rest and ignored the main point of my post.

I've ignored you (30% of the site disappeared) and not replied to other times you quoted me. Take a hint and take care :)

Not having one in my bag and not being able to hit one are two entirely different concepts, but you're probably one of those bag full of blades you can't hit past your shadow and a vanity cap. ... You are, after all, the one that got flown by the pros hitting from the tips while you were playing from the forward tees.

But good on you, joining this site just so you can publicly trash a young tour pro while retaining your anonymity. Well played.