2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mavrik SZ Vs. Epic Flash SZ

russian7

Took the Mavrik out 1st time with the rogue 130msi and it was 15yd shorter than my epic flash sz with hzrdus smoke black 6.5...

Swapped the hzrdus into the Mavrik and hit them both for an apples to apples comparison...

I played 18 an hit tons of shots and the Epic Flash SZ was longer and better dispersion for me, I have no idea why...

Mavrik was great but not as good as my gamer...anyone got theirs and reviews yet?

Might have to try a SIM now on the course...

I went to Golf Galaxy yesterday intending to walk out with the Mavrik driver and 3 wood, took my Epic Flash SZ with me.

7 of the 10 best I hit were my current driver. The other three were one Mavrik SZ, one SIM Max and one TS3. I wouldn’t say I was disappointed in the Mavrik but the pro/fitter even said the Flash was by far the best driver for me.

I left with the Mavrik SZ 3 wood with the Rogue 130 shaft and a new Mack Daddy High Toe 58. Got $150 trade in on an old Rogue driver.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Zero patronizing intended. I’m just saying from the manufacturer standpoint, the newest is a replacement to the prior. No confrontation intended.

The rogue and me didn’t play well together. Epic subzero and epic flash sub zero both played better than rogue and the SZ version.

Mavrik SZ fills all the spots for me. I just don’t know if I can capture as many fairways with it compared to my gamer.

The Epic Flash with the Hzrdus Smoke was longer for me than any Mavrik setup, but all over the place. That is the same issue I had with the Rogue. The Mavrik with the Rogue White 130 was definitely better dispersion, but not as long as the EF with the Hzrdus Smoke. The EF with the Tensei Blue gave me very similar numbers to the Mavrik with Rogue White so I ended up with a like new EF from CWPO for half of what the Mavrik would have cost me.

"The Epic Flash with the Hzrdus Smoke was longer for me than any Mavrik setup, but all over the place"

Same for me. Tried my Hzrdus Black, from my previous Fusion that worked great with the Fusion but it simply didn't work with the EFSZ. Found and tried a leftover Hzrdus Yellow (from the prior Rogue line) in the EFSZ. Much too stiff (6.5) and too heavy (76 gm). But world's apart from the Black or Smoke. Much straighter, more controllable AND longer.

Chickened out when I bought the head and the shaft separately and got the 6.0/63 gm Yellow shaft. Still worked just as well as the heavier one.

I am now thoroughly convinced that it's NOT a particular head we favor. OR a particular shaft that just "works". It's the combination of the 2.

I cut the Yellow down to play at 44.75 and can (seemingly) only miss the SS when I try to (come to think of it, I never try to LOL).

I'll try the Mav but I can't see any way it's kicking the EFSZ out of my bag.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I moved from the Flash SZ to the M5 tour. Dispersion was the key. The Mavrik SZ just upended the M5 by a large margin. All around was a better fit for me. One thing of note, I didnt like the stock shaft offering. I ended up putting in the Hzrdus Black 6.5. Both shafts were cut to a playing length of 44.5". With the Rouge, the driver swingweight dropped to D0. (this may be a contributor) With the black I was at D4. Driver felt solid on contact and was noticeably longer than my previous offerings. For note, Arccos had my driving average right at 265 and the round with Mavrik averaged 290 with a long of 311. Staying in the bag for sure.

• Like 1

I felt really good about that shot....
Until I hit it.

So by your logic when Toyota came out with the new Sienna mini van, it was superior to the Camry because it was newer?

• Like 1

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

Took my new EF SZ out to course yesterday, coming from GBB Epic.

Club is stupid easy to hit, I hit one so far high/toe nearly missed the ball, still went straight and much further than deserved.

I like the look, reminds me of my old friend from years ago, the FT Tour, or the FT3 Tour.

When I got a hold of one, it was silly long, much further down the fairway than Epic, and I play the same course every week, as well as was fairly damp (not quite wet) yesterday, so summer should be even more incremental gains.

Overall, extremely happy with purchase, thanks Cally P.O. for putting on sale this week.

Next I'll look at replacing Rogue fairway with a Mavrik or EF.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Hit the Mavrik today at Golf Galaxy (standard model with Riptide 60s) and echo the comments that the sound and feel is excellent compared to the Epic Flash.

It is much rounder in shape than the EF but looks good down by the ball. Not a fan of the Riptide graphics but the Rogue 130 is not on my try list as I did not have good results with the previous Rogue 125 even though I had good results in the past with the Rogue Silver 110.

I played a regular EF with EvenFlow Blue 65 for a good part of last season and hit it well. Not the best sounding driver but much better than the G400 Max I had before it.

Mavrik did not seem to produce any big gains in distance over the EF but it does sound and feel much better if you prefer the more “thud” graphite style impact more than the “tinny” impact. EF is not bad and outdoors on the course it never bothered me like the Max did.

I’m pretty pedestrian swing speed in the 103-107 mph range with carry around 245-250. Long drive for me now is in the 270-275 mark and that is what I get out of my EF and what I was seeing with the Mavrik.

Jury is still out for me but I would imagine I’ll pick one up sometime this year once prices come down on the used market just for the improved sound and feel.

Exactly; it's also worth noting that the Epic Flash hasn't gone down in price. Callaway are intending to release essentially two lines, just in alternating years. Yes, the Mavrik is DIFFERENT than the Epic Flash, as the Rogue was different from the OG Epic, but it isn't a direct replacement.

Stealth Plus 10.5* Hulk 60 6.5
TBD
TS2 19* Tensei Blue 70X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P KBS $-Taper 130
Callaway MD5 56, 60 Dynamic Gold S400
OG Toulon Atlanta

Smidge off topic. Can't say I'm necessarily schooled on the mom-mobiles but, from a manufacturer and marketing statement, there will always be a small downside to any new products predecessor of the same class.

Epic Flash blew up where I play. I saw one or two probably every round I played. Great drivers. I expect the same from Mavrik.

They are great drivers, and the Flash Face does seem to help average golfers that tend to strike the ball away from center. I personally did not see much in gains from the Mavrik so I bought an EF.

And the Taylormade Sim is once again a distance beast for TM, but with one caveat....you have to hit near the center of the face and with a lot of speed. And which of those 2 scenarios sounds more like the majority of golfers? I think that is why "flash face" technology is taking off. I had a chance to hit the Mavrik line of irons with the flash face and I am still trying to make sense of the numbers. The consistency seemed unreal on distances. My front to make dispersion on 15 shots with the Mavrik Pro 7 iron was 5 yards. I want to go hit them again to see if that was just a one off, or if that is the norm of flash face irons.

Tested every new driver (multiple shafts) on market last Monday against my Flash SZ. The only one as good was the Mavrik SZ (with my shaft in it) felt/sounded better but numbers were identical. Nothing kicked OG Epic out of my bag until Flash SZ (2.5 years). My Flash has heavier weights to get headweight up a bit so with heavier weights in the Mav maybe I could squeeze a mph out of it but not worth it IMO.

On a side note SIM and SIM Max launched too high with low spin ... tweaking to get launch down made spin fall to 1400 or so ..... no bueno for controlling curvature at all. Your mileage may vary.