Ping G710 Irons

easyyy

I'm sure it comes down to "what works for you", but I've had two Ping irons... Gmax and i500 and neither of them did the trick for me. of course, a lot has changed in my game over the last couple years but I just felt like the Mavrik was the right one to go with at this time. If it doesn't work, I can always put it up for sale and go the G710 route. I really wanted a smaller head than the G710... they seem to work better for me. Makes me focus on getting solid contact.

I’ve played 7-8 rounds with the G710s and am happy with them. Coming from the G700s and that hydropearl 1.0 finish was terrible (I’m that nut that cleans my clubs before each round). I was concerned that the G710s weren’t DBM, but I’ve got to say that I love the new finish (and feel). I’ll avoid hitting them from bunkers since I’m a hybrid player. The hot melt behind the face makes for a much more solid feel.

Have I noticed the 5% improvement in MOI? Um...no. But PING seems to have solved the two issues I had with the G700s. And that’s worth an upgrade to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update pics after 12 rounds with g710. Someone wanted to see them after Ten rounds so here are my pics this morning of them. I have to walk back my criticism on the black finish from previous post (pre-release) as Shiel’s review made it looked like they were simply hammered after one round. I’ve been playing from Sandy Fairways, funky rough in Florida, and have to say well done PING! I also ride carts here and zero bag chatter.

EFGB5UV20OT5.jpeg

DOPXOZ92Y472.jpeg

• Like 4

I don't necessarily consider myself a low handicap player anymore. I play off a 6 index now. I had I20 that I had to change the shafts in as the CFS shaft didn't work for me. Too light, too high ball flight. Same thing with the current stock offering in the G. I got the G700 with DG S300 which is what I've used for a long time. There's no reason a low handicap can't play these. Just depends on how you like to play and which shaft you choose. I don't play or practice as much as I used to. These are really forgiving and the ball flight is predominantly straight and fairly high. I can still move the ball left or right, but it's much easier to draw these than fade them. That's fine with me. At this point I just want to hit as many greens as I can and these certainly help me do that. I really like the G710, but given what's going on right now I'm going to hold off to get them for now. The G700 work just fine too.

And there are people that say they don't spin enough. I didn't experience that at all. My 7 iron spins around 6400-6600 which is perfect.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

I was told at G.G. that the grooved face is satin steel (ok, that's what I call it, whatever it is), while the heel/toe and back side are black, and therefore it doesn't scratch as do irons that have black on the face. He mentioned it as I was looking closely at the grooved face and said something like "I'm guessing this won't scratch as easily as other 'black' clubs? (I had a set of black Adams CB2 that looked nice but scratched up quickly).

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Probably an easy question for long time Ping players.... what's the notch above the heel for?

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

That's correct. For bending lofts and lies.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

The black makes them look like a smaller iron for sure. I don’t notice the sound anymore with a ProV1 or X. They feel and perform great. I’ve played 4 times this week and they are sooooo firmly in the bag. Consistent, forgiving, accurate and look great at address. Best rounds of the year because of the confidence they instill. No real need to muffle sound on the course imho.

• 3 weeks later...

Tommyj, don't mean to be rude, but having been in the steel business for longer than I would like to admit, I couldn't let your post go by without comment.

You are in fact correct that the Glide Stealth was made from 8620. However, the grade 8620 is an alloy steel grade, not a stainless steel grade. Never the twain shall meet.

Somewhat related, I'm always amused when I read manufacturer's characterizations of using "soft carbon steel 8620". There are two major falsehoods: #1, if I hit you in the head with that "soft carbon steel 8620 club" you would certainly not agree that it's "soft". #2, 8620 is NOT a carbon steel. A carbon steel does NOT have the triple alloys employed to make 8620. (nickel, chrome, Molybdenum) These elements are added so that any parts made from that grade can be heat treated and achieve very high strength and through hardness that cannot be achieved using plain carbon steel. (such as some of Mizuno's irons which use 10B25, which is a carbon steel with a boron adder to again, if heat treated, allow for a stronger, higher strength finished product. In neither case, are they "soft". BTW, if you got whacked in the head with a TY 430 stainless steel club, it would actually be "softer" (because it can't be heat treated) but your head wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I just picked up a set of 700's with CB graphite shafts R flex, and very impressed. The price point was impossible to ignore and so glad I got them. They are very long and forgiving. I still need to find that elusive sweet spot, hit it once so far. It is hard to believe that the 5 and 6 go as far as they do, amazing. The shorter clubs are very controllable, but will keep the SM7's in the bag for wedge work. I don't want the Arrcos grips or the black finish.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I think they are nice irons that could have been even nicer. I just cant help but think and know they are huge. I get that they are made to be that way though i just cant help but think these companys can slim them down more and still have a great amount of forgiveness. I just dont get it. Ping in general just has very bulky soles. Even the blue prints look playable to me from the soles and i am by no means a blade player player lol. The standard maverick drives me insane with why they needed so much offsett and topline thickness.. i just feel a better job could have been done. Specialy when it seems they have gone from big shovel to small almost blade size. Wheres the middle? That why u got honma tw 747p. Perfect tweener iron. Not big at all but not tiny tiny just perfect.

I want to get fit for the 710s so bad but all the fitters are closed here. Then when I am able to be fit i wonder how long it will be to get them? With Ping being closed down they could be way behind on orders for a long time. Well I will have to suffer with my g400s this season I guess.

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

• 3 weeks later...

I got in Saturday for a fitting for the G710s and they had 6-pw in stock so I ordered the 5 and U. I hit about 10 different irons with lots of shaft changes. The Maverik Max was very close numbers wise but I could not get over the chunky look by the ball. I can not lie I fell in love with the look of the 710s as soon as I saw them. Its going to warm up here a bit today and I should get a chance to hit them outside.

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

I got outside to hit the 710s today and distance was about the same as my G400s. I had some extreme toe hits that went high and straight so forgiveness is off the charts with the 710s.

• Like 1

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob