2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SIM driver guys - talk about it

getitdaily

On 2/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, TigerInTheWoods said:

Good idea haha. Long day. I'll see how that works. Right now the G400 LST 8.5 I picked up as a backup is outperforming the Sim in every category.

I'm struggling mightily with the fade bias of the OG SIM. I was a straight ball hitter with my G400 LST. Did/do you find the OG SiM significantly more fade bias then the LST? Or is this more operator error? 

I might demo a 9* SIM2 and see if it has the same tendency.  I swapped my shaft from Ping to TM so I can't test head to head.  

I’d been playing OG SIM for a few months and it was the lingers driver I’ve ever hit!

Bought a SIM 2 Max this weekend and put my Smoke Green in it....WOW!!!

Is it as long....on perfect strikes...probably not but only by 5-10 yards tops.

where the SIM 2 Max shines is on less than perfect strikes....I hit one high toe that with my SIM would have been low spin hook into the OOB...with the SIM 2 it was a straighter miss that still retained spin and carry!!

I was unsure on the Max initially and wanted to go for the SIM 2 but I had higher ball speed with the Max and I can live with -5 yards if I hit more fairways (tree lined right course)

7 hours ago, Doyouevenblade said:

I'm struggling mightily with the fade bias of the OG SIM. I was a straight ball hitter with my G400 LST. Did/do you find the OG SiM significantly more fade bias then the LST? Or is this more operator error? 

I might demo a 9* SIM2 and see if it has the same tendency.  I swapped my shaft from Ping to TM so I can't test head to head.  

G400 lst isn't overly draw biased and I think it's actually just slightly fade biased. Sim is definitely fade biased and I think people also have a harder time squaring the face.

Sim2 is a very neutral driver and is very good for someone who wants a driver that doesn't produce much sidespin.

8 hours ago, Doyouevenblade said:

The Sim has never worked for me except when I was battling a mighty hook with every club. My driving had never been better haha. The new one is more neutral. To get the Sim to work on my normal days I had to set up upright and put the weight in the heel and I'd end up with a two way miss. It just doesn't work for me. Mavrik Sub Zero much easier to use. 

• 10 months later...

I am a little late to the party but I thought I would chime in my thoughts on the SIM driver. 
Having been a Ping guy for awhile, I assumed I would leave the store I frequent for a newer or different model. Have used g30, g, 410, SFT and LS versions. All okay but high spin 3000 + and really not optimal. I hit down a bit but at 64, I still hover around 100 mph. 
 A SIM was handed to me and I saw numbers improve. 9 degree with Atmos Black stiff flex, weight in the center. Brought it with me to Hilton Head and proceeded to hit the longest drives I have had in a long time. Most were straight but it does have a strong right bias. Teed low seems to work best and ballmarks are low center. I just can’t hit a draw with it. But I have had that issue with all drivers for awhile and my miss is a push fade or slice.  Experimenting with an upright setting but it still likes the right side but it might be better. I moved the weight to draw and saw little difference and it has been my experience that this has not worked in other drivers I’ve used. I am wondering if doing both together will move the ball even slightly more to the center.

My friend who was with me, says he never has seen me hit the bombs I hit with this club. It is more forgiving than I first thought and I endeavor to make it work even better. Many of the thoughts, feedback and suggestions given in this thread have given me things to try. If anyone here has anything more to recommend I try please feel free to let me know. 

Edited by braveheart

• 1 year later...

I have re-discovered the original SIM (came out during lockdowns I think) and it not only performs but feels great.

Big fan - wasn’t this impressed with the Stealth.

Anyone else back in the OG SIM?

• Like 1

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

Never left 

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Tried the sim max for 18 months and couldn’t get on with the fade bias. My natural shot is a draw and I couldn’t get the club to turn over at all - not much use when all the OB is on the right at our club. Great club if you don’t want to go left at all.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I still have the OG Sim Max in the bag. I’ve tried them all, but it’s the best driver I’ve ever had. I think the fade bias, and toe side cg make it perfect for me. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

15 minutes ago, philly2kuk said:

Tried the sim max for 18 months and couldn’t get on with the fade bias. My natural shot is a draw and I couldn’t get the club to turn over at all - not much use when all the OB is on the right at our club. Great club if you don’t want to go left at all.

That’s why it works so well for me. I keep trying to find something better but can’t.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

11 hours ago, stimpmeterp said:

I have re-discovered the original SIM (came out during lockdowns I think) and it not only performs but feels great.

OG SIM is as long as anything - a true GOAT TM driver.  While great, I find it significantly less forgiving than the Stealth in my opinion.  Stealth gives you the long ball as well, but maintains ballspeed much better on mishits and is just as good of a spin killer in my opinion.  

The shallowness of the SIM head ultimately is what made me give up on it, I prefer deeper faced drivers and the Stealth is definitely a bit deeper

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mp14forlife said:

I just ordered a tsr2 to replace my sim max. Tsr2 is a bit lower spin and more forgiving on a heel miss. We'll see how on the course goes. 

I switched to tsr 2 from sim max. I’ve found it more forgiving, longer and I don’t miss twist face - had that since my m3 and to go back to a normal face has been fantastic for me as a drawer of the ball.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 6/26/2023 at 9:45 PM, stimpmeterp said:

I try every year to find something to beat my OG SIM out, but it refuses to leave the bag. Love the set up and little fade bias. I hate when the driver goes left. Spin numbers have stayed in the window I like, and I haven't been able to get any extra ball speed out of the new models, except recently with TSR4. Misses were a little all over the place with that one though. So the SIM is still safe. 

• Like 1

After a few rounds with my sim I am loving it. My big miss is a hook and this club definitely eliminates the left side for me.

Had a different shaft when I first had it and it was block city. Og Kai'li 70 stiff, tipped an inch. Playing 45.5" to end of grip. Sw was a little light as well.

Ever since i put a diamana zf 60 stiff in, it's been a very pleasant driver.

Unsure of tipping, was a stock TM shaft. Plays 46" to end of grip. The length brought the sw up and I haven't had any bad contact issues from the length, so I'll keep it as is for a bit.

Slowly but surely dialing in the adjustable weight. Currently have it centered on the face of the club.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I demo’d the brnr mini out of curiosity and really enjoyed the control and efficiency. Then I heard someone say you should just play your driver at mini length.

So I picked up the og sim, put a 14g weight in the slider, a 19g in the back, playing it at 44 inches, rdx blue tipped .5”, and it is an efficient machine currently. 
I lofted it down a click in the 10.5 head and put it upright to get it back in the original lie angle realm. 
its just been so good. Just piling on here. 
🙏 

1 hour ago, Thornton Melon said:

I demo’d the brnr mini out of curiosity and really enjoyed the control and efficiency. Then I heard someone say you should just play your driver at mini length.

So I picked up the og sim, put a 14g weight in the slider, a 19g in the back, playing it at 44 inches, rdx blue tipped .5”, and it is an efficient machine currently. 
I lofted it down a click in the 10.5 head and put it upright to get it back in the original lie angle realm. 
its just been so good. Just piling on here. 
🙏

Interesting. I started out with an Atmos Black stiff but with a low and right miss too often I got a blue Ventus regular and had a two way miss.

Just got informally fitter with a hazardous red 70 with a 10.5 degree head. Higher flight but still favors the right more than I like. I  am a high spin high 90’s, quick tempo golfer, so I keep needing to use and try lower spin heads and shafts. Moving the track weight I find does very little. Maybe shorter and heavier might work.

I can still pull out my old Titleist 913 D3 with diamana 70 shaft and hit it straighter.

Edited by braveheart
More information to add
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

OG Sim still has a place in my heart even though it doesnt have a place in my bag. Truly the longest driver Ive ever played. My swing has evolved and Im a fader now, so the fade biased is no longer a fit for me. But still an all timer.

Agree, that it is easily the longest driver I have hit as well. What may I ask is in your bag now?

Edited by braveheart

Played og sim 8 since it came out. Just cracked the face in the middle at the bottom. Also discovered the popular crack in the weight track heel side but I don't think it caused any loss of distance. The face crack took a little bit for me to discover. Started hearing a different sound occasionally and then started noticing it massively slicing off the planet. Found a pretty good lightly used replacement and everything back to normal. I did test a paradym triple diamond that was neck and neck with it.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket @13*, Aldila NV Green 55x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, Aldila NV Green 55x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r Standard

Ball: TP5X 2019/2024

Another good round with the og sim 9°

Ended up going up a click in loft and had some 290-300yd totals. Definitely had some good run out so I think likely 265-270 yd carries. 

My typical carry is 240-250. 

Adding some loft kept some spin on the ball on above center strikes. I was definitely dipping to low on std setting.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

21 hours ago, khalespace said:

Morikawa is back on the SIM driver. This is not good for the Stealth 2.

He drove it awesome too! He's had it back in play for a couple months I think. I took my tsr2 and og sim max to the course saturday. The tsr2 is dumb how it's just point and shoot and it's not high spin, nice penetrating flight.  It does enable me to play a bit more of my natural draw. My sim max was touch longer tho and my natural draw disappears with it. I'll keep testing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mp14forlife said:

He drove it awesome too! He's had it back in play for a couple months I think. I took my tsr2 and og sim max to the course saturday. The tsr2 is dumb how it's just point and shoot and it's not high spin, nice penetrating flight.  It does enable me to play a bit more of my natural draw. My sim max was touch longer tho and my natural draw disappears with it. I'll keep testing. 

Tsr2 was the one driver that almost knocked out my Sim. Sim high center just has an extra gear 

• Like 3