SIM driver guys - talk about it

getitdaily

12 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

I suspect several factors here:

1) seems to be super flat setting in "standard" position on loft sleeve

2) open toe twist face blade and the chalk paint line up seem to promote open face at set up

3) something in another post was mentioned about how the alignment of the Vortex generator heavy weight seems to be fade biased slightly (not true on the MAX D however)

4) we just suck with a steep slightly over the top motion

Thanks. I definitely have some of number 4, but the SIM Max made me feel like i am just incompetent at golf. They say equipment can't make a bad swing better, but it seems like it can make the result worse. SIM line is just not the right fit for me. 

This driver was a game changer for me and helped me win my club championship. Its firmly in the bag for 2021.

I posted in here before, but used to play a G400 max which was very forgiving but it spun to much (And spun to much left and right). My misses still got out there but if my swing was off I had some high, spinny off the planet misses that put me in bad shape.

I went with the Sim 10.5 turned all the way down and it helped take the right side (Lefty golfer) out of play for me from day one. Essentially a new level of confidence that I could swing away and know where its going.

It might only be a half dozen yards longer for me but the dispersion was night and day. I eliminated one side of the course from my miss groupings and have full confidence I can aim down the edge of the fairway and the ball will curve back.

Awesome club. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All.. question why would adding more weight make the driver more fade biased.. i was planing to use this to make swingweight and increase smash and forgiveness.. 

Titleist TSR3 9 Ventus Black TR 6X 
Titleist TSR3 15 Tensei Av Raw Orange 75TX 

Callaway UW 19 Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX
4 - AW Titleist T100s Project X 6.5 

Cleveland RTX Zip Raw, 54, FullFace 58 Project X 6.5 wedge

L.A.B Golf Mezz1 35/71 Garsen Quad Tour
Titleist Pro V1 2023

25 minutes ago, philt90 said:

Hello All.. question why would adding more weight make the driver more fade biased.. i was planing to use this to make swingweight and increase smash and forgiveness.. 

it’s due to how the weight is positioned in relation to the center of the club face. The weight is positioned at 20* angle (think that’s the number if IRC) so any weight adds will be added to the fade basis side of the driver. The only way to add weight and not make it fade basis would be through hot melt. 

30 minutes ago, philt90 said:

The sim rear weight is positioned toe side of center. Adding weight back there increases a toe side center of gravity. Toe side center of gravity = fade bias.

4 minutes ago, zrheisler22 said:

it’s due to how the weight is positioned in relation to the center of the club face. The weight is positioned at 20* angle (think that’s the number if IRC) so any weight adds will be added to the fade basis side of the driver. The only way to add weight and not make it fade basis would be through hot melt. 

You could add weight to the front track and move it to the heel. But that would reduce forgiveness. 

hmmm so why do the pros do it when it looks like they all want more forgiveness and a neutral flight. Cant decide whether to go SIM MAX then and hot melt neutral 9 degree upright one down. I hit the sim pretty straight but want it easier to do. feel like I'm always working to close the face and it means I lose swing speed. 

Titleist Pro V1 2023

2 minutes ago, philt90 said:

hmmm so why do the pros do it when it looks like they all want more forgiveness and a neutral flight. Cant decide whether to go SIM MAX then and hot melt neutral 9 degree upright one down. I hit the sim pretty straight but want it easier to do. feel like I'm always working to close the face and it means I lose swing speed. 

The pros have put a heavier backweight on and then hot melted the driver in the low heel to offset the added toe side weight. 

If you are having a hard time closing the face then bump the driver up in loft. 

• Like 1

cant look at a closed face. I think being upright will help a lot, just whether I go sim max and how I swingweight it heads are usually lighter than SIM 

Titleist Pro V1 2023

18 minutes ago, philt90 said:

cant look at a closed face. I think being upright will help a lot, just whether I go sim max and how I swingweight it heads are usually lighter than SIM 

I thought the same. I'm a fader. Closed face, lined up left of center - I cringe. I was very surprised. My 9.0 is now set to 9.75 and it doesn't appear closed at address AT ALL. 

Remember that face to path affects left/right a lot more than CoG. I decided to close the face after reviewing trackman data that showed I left face open to path more than 1.5 degrees about 60-65% of the time. If you don't have this kind of data then either go get it, or hit 100 drives on the range to see what happens. 

I went to 1.5 closed (one notch to closed on the adapter), heavier backweight (19g total), and front weight slightly toe side of center. This combo produces very straight drives, no hard right misses, and that occasional shot where my path gets a touch in to out - no more low lefters. Those trappy type drives now hold a bit more spin and gently fall left. 

29 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I thought the same. I'm a fader. Closed face, lined up left of center - I cringe. I was very surprised. My 9.0 is now set to 9.75 and it doesn't appear closed at address AT ALL. 

Remember that face to path affects left/right a lot more than CoG. I decided to close the face after reviewing trackman data that showed I left face open to path more than 1.5 degrees about 60-65% of the time. If you don't have this kind of data then either go get it, or hit 100 drives on the range to see what happens. 

I went to 1.5 closed (one notch to closed on the adapter), heavier backweight (19g total), and front weight slightly toe side of center. This combo produces very straight drives, no hard right misses, and that occasional shot where my path gets a touch in to out - no more low lefters. Those trappy type drives now hold a bit more spin and gently fall left. 

Yer i might go neutral and heavier back weight i always think its worth more having weight in the head vs weight in the tip section on the club.. Prob hang some left because im always working to close the face so when i do its a pull 

Titleist Pro V1 2023

15 minutes ago, philt90 said:

Yer i might go neutral and heavier back weight i always think its worth more having weight in the head vs weight in the tip section on the club.. Prob hang some left because im always working to close the face so when i do its a pull 

Heavier backweight could help with that face closure all on its own.  "By the book" more weight back would promote faster rate of closure due to shaft deflection. 

Long story short, don't rule anything out. Go pound balls, play with settings, and see what happens.

I did not envision that I would be in a closed face, fade bias driver. But I am and it's working beautifully. Previous driver was a m5 set lower and in neutral weight setting. The two driver setups are very different but produce about the same accuracy with the same shaft. 

Learn more about CoG placement, face to path, shaft deflection, etc if you want to take some of the guesswork out of it.

Does everyone find the max fadey too ??

Titleist Pro V1 2023

4 hours ago, philt90 said:

I did.  I play mine in the upright setting one notch higher (8º->8.75º)

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I was fitted for my SIM MAX.  My sig pretty much says it all.  I will add details.  Mine plays 9* but is cranked open 2 degrees so it's closer to 8*.  I'm a hooker by nature, and have quick and at times flippy wrists.  Shaft length is 45 inches tipped 1 inch.  D4 swing weight, I believe 5-10 grams of added hotmelt neutral bias.  I like my clubs heavier to begin with, I feel as though I can feel the club head more and lighter sw feel like swinging a chop stick to me.  My ballspeed hovers from 170 to 177 mph, spin 2100 rpm average, and +2 degree AoA and 15-17 degree launch angle.  I have this sucker dialed in to my liking.  I just hope it doesn't crack where the carbon fiber and paint meet at the top of the crown as some of the wrxer's have reported.   

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, philt90 said:

Yes, but that plays right  into my hands as my big miss is a nasty quacker.  I pretty much exclusively draw the ball, but with my SIM MAX I find that I can play a baby fade as well which is nice albeit it would be normally 15 to to 20 yards shorter than the draw.   

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

5 hours ago, philt90 said:

Yep. Definitely. Caused issues for me with my natural fade, I recently moved on. 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

6 hours ago, philt90 said:

I naturally play a fade, SIM turned that into a full on slice so I closed mine by raising the loft from 9 --> 9.5 and I've been happy with it since. Occasionally I'll still slice one off the face of the Earth, but that's not on the club, it still looks great at address too.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

15 hours ago, philt90 said:

I’ll be the dissenting opinion as I don’t find it fadey 😁.  Just recently purchased a SIM to see if the fade bias is real in that bad boy.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

FWIW I thought the Max was one of the weirdest drivers I’ve ever hit. Had some bombs with it but also some ball flights I have literally never seen with another driver. Almost like duck hooks but right... just... awful. Anyways... sim is as shaft sensitive as a club could ever be. She’s a fickle beast but a beast she is. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

FWIW I thought the Max was one of the weirdest drivers I’ve ever hit. Had some bombs with it but also some ball flights I have literally never seen with another driver. Almost like duck hooks but right... just... awful. Anyways... sim is as shaft sensitive as a club could ever be. She’s a fickle beast but a beast she is. 

Yep, the SIM and SIM MAX is def a fickle mistress.  I call mine Ms. Bi-Polar.  I had to cycle through 14 shafts before I finally found one that paired up perfectly.  When I crush one I get 177 mph ball speed, 15 degree launch and 2100 rpm spin and it carries 295+ depending on elevation and wind.  When I hit one like s***, it can hook 50 yards left into the abyss.  Lately my swing has been good so the duck hook isn't seen very often.  I can also hit a 10 yard cut as well with it which is a pleasant surprise.  I have a love/hate relationship with my side dish atm, lol. 

Edited by phizzy30

Decided I’m going to rebuild my club, take the weight out of the tip of the shaft, and add a heavier back weight.. build something between SIM and the MAX. should hopefully give the head a little extra punch to it too 

Titleist Pro V1 2023

On 4/10/2020 at 3:48 PM, QuigleyDU said:

Hi, My name is Quigley and I play a SIM. Haha.

My SIM is a 10.5 set to 9.5 with a KBS TD cat 5 shaft.

I was absolutely crushing this before the shut down. I hope it comes back. I love the shape and color of the head. It is a bit harsher feeling in my mind than other offering but I am ok with that.

How’s the KBS Cat5 shaft? Are you still playing it. I just bought a new SIM tour head 9 deg with a Diamana D limited 70tx. Hopefully getting it next week. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brad1978golf said:

How’s the KBS Cat5 shaft? Are you still playing it. I just bought a new SIM tour head 9 deg with a Diamana D limited 70tx. Hopefully getting it next week. 

I still have it. But it is third in line after the ventus and pro x green tx.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

54 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Almost had a hole in one on a 310

par 4 today. Put it to 6 feet. This driver is magic with the right shaft. 

Question is did you make that putt for eagle?  🤑

2 hours ago, brad1978golf said:

Two putt bird ain’t bad either. 

Meh, sim golf doesn't count

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled