SIM driver guys - talk about it

getitdaily

Thank you @Hammer22! Gonna pick up some lead tape and do something similar to your first photo. 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

First night out with the USA SIM max. Cheap shaft or not this thing just works for me.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Been playing a SIM MAX with the ACCRA TZ6 M4 and loving it. For testing, I just ordered, through my custom fitter, a SIM MAX D type to pair with Fujikura Speeder TR 661S shaft to see if all the rage in Japan and Korea is real...let the winner take the spot in the bag. 

Edited by evoviiiyou

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

• 2 weeks later...

I did an outdoor fitting for the SIM at my course yesterday.  I'm a long-time Titleist driver guy, going back to the 975J, currently playing a 915D2, though I've had the 917 and TS2 in and out of the bag as well in the last couple of years.   I was really surprised by the SIM.  It looked great and felt really nice.  I was a little concerned by reviews here that indicated it's fade biased.  I had no issues hitting it straight or with a little draw.  I tried 4 or 5 shafts and ended up going with the stock Diamana in S.  It gave me the best launch and spin numbers.  The AD DI was close, but launched lower.

I also plan on getting the TSi when it comes out, comparing the two head to head, and keeping the one I like better.

Edited by dwboston
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

3 hours ago, dwboston said:

I did an outdoor fitting for the SIM at my course yesterday.  I'm a long-time Titleist driver guy, going back to the 975J, currently playing a 915D2, though I've had the 917 and TS2 in and out of the bag as well in the last couple of years.   I was really surprised by the SIM.  It looked great and felt really nice.  I was a little concerned by reviews here that indicated it's fade biased.  I had no issues hitting it straight or with a little draw.  I tried 4 or 5 shafts and ended up going with the stock Diamana in S.  It gave me the best launch and spin numbers.  The AD DI was close, but launched lower.

I also plan on getting the TSi when it comes out, comparing the two head to head, and keeping the one I like better.

Sim max isn't fade biased according to golftec cg testing.  

Screen-Shot-2020-01-28-at-9.44.31-AM-1100x494.jpg

Edited by bogeypro
  • Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I'm away from my SIM driver, but is the rear weight adjustable?  Can I add a heavier weight back there?  If I keep the front left/right weight the same what effect does more weight in the back do?  I'm no physics expert but my guess would be it moves the CG back and lower promoting a higher ball flight.

16 minutes ago, toddmanley said:

I'm away from my SIM driver, but is the rear weight adjustable?  Can I add a heavier weight back there?  If I keep the front left/right weight the same what effect does more weight in the back do?  I'm no physics expert but my guess would be it moves the CG back and lower promoting a higher ball flight.

Weight can be changed for a heavier weight. The heavier weight will increase moi (not sure how much) but it will also increase fade bias.

As for launch and spin, there's no hard set rule. Depends on you, your shaft, and your delivery into the ball.

I tested 21g and 19g and everything was backwards. I "should" have seen higher launch and higher spin. The heavier backweights gave me lower launch and lower spin...

Thanks - just got back to the workbench and pulled everything apart on the head.  I had used 10g of leadtape to get the head up to 205g - I'll look at the different weight options to see what I can do to make up the 10g difference between the sliding weight and rear weight.  At worst I can always go back to lead tape.

Been hitting it since it came out and haven’t had a reason to change or look elsewhere, I hit the regular SIM and it is very accurate and very forgiving to me in mishits, no reason to change so far for me once I finally found the correct shaft 

Titleist TSR2 11 w/ 2024 Fujikura Ventus + Blue 6 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 4 wood 16.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7

Titleist TSR2 7 wood 21 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8 

PXG 0311X 18 w/ Graphite Design DI 95

PXG Gen 6 DC P's 5-GW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105

PXG SD2 56 w/ LA Golf WV 115

Titleist Vokey Proto 60K w/ LA Golf WV 115  

Scotty Cameron 009 

Titleist ProV1X

Vessel Player IV

I started out with the SIM Max and just could not get along with it.   Played around with Callaway and Cobra and just good not find what I was looking for.  Picked up the SIM and an Oban Kiyoshi Black and could not be happier.   No temptation to try anything else other than I might have to go try the SIM 3 wood.

I have 15g and 17g back weights I'm going to play with. I tried 19g and 21g and didn't like them. I'll report back. I love my current setup, std back.weight, 10g front weight in heel and 4g front weight centered. But when I miss, I leave the face open and I still can see an occasional too much right miss. Not off the planet like early on testing, but enough to lose considerable distance. I toyed around with adding loft and found I was a bit more consistent in face at impact (not going right much at all). But I also hit a few left. So I'm going to toy with more fade bias while going up in loft. I'll test a few setups...

Std backweight, 4g front heel, 10g front center

15g backweight, 10g centered or even a bit toe side

17g backweight, 10g centered

I saw an increase in fade bias with the 19g and 21g backweight so I'm hoping for a setup that gets face close to square to path on a consistent basis while fade biasing CoG to protect the left miss.

I've been slicing this a bit since I've gotten it but it has made me realize something that I was missing from my old driver, the mechanics of my swing. I've found that if my arms are closer to my chest on the downswing and a full follow through this thing shoots straight as an arrow and flies a mile. Its a hard change because I had been playing with the wrong driver shaft flex, and swing, for the past 11 years. It'll take me a long time to produce that swing consistently but this club has given me confidence that I can change it for the better and finally move that weight back to neutral. 

Edited by Duck Dodgers

TaylorMade SIM 9* HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.5
Taylormade Burner 3W
Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 4H 21*
Titleist OG AP2 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52* 
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 60*
Odyssey F7 2-Ball

I think I found a good weight combo for the 9* SIM. 4g in the full draw position with the 10g weight snugged right up next to it. 15g in the rear. This gets me to +9g overall versus stock and makes up for the lead tape I removed. 

Really felt like I could go aggressively at the ball and the face would close at impact and turn over nicely right after impact. 

Edited by toddmanley

24 minutes ago, TJ83 said:

Well, I got a Sim Max 9*. Being paired with a Tensei Orange AV 75tx. Golf just opened back up here so ill be trying it out on thr course Sunday. Unfortunately it's a tight course where I hit driver like once, but ill probably hit more than usual, for the sake of testing ? lol

Where do you live that golf just now reopened? 

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

Where do you live that golf just now reopened? 

Guam, we had to shutdown again because of spikes in covid cases, and our hospital doesn't have much going for it. Makes for no room for anyone who's sick. 6 weeks we were shutdown. Looking forward to getting out on the course, and see what this Sim can do. 

5 minutes ago, TJ83 said:

Guam, we had to shutdown again because of spikes in covid cases, and our hospital doesn't have much going for it. Makes for no room for anyone who's sick. 6 weeks we were shutdown. Looking forward to getting out on the course, and see what this Sim can do. 

TJ,

is Onward Mangilao still open? Played it about 7 years ago. One of the most beautiful courses and clubhouse in the world. 

14 minutes ago, TJ83 said:

Oh, ok. I thought golf had been shutdown since March where you are.

12 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Oh, ok. I thought golf had been shutdown since March where you are.

Thankfully no, we got back on the course end of  May through first week of August then shutdown. 

Since I'm here posting, this Sim Max theoretically should spin less than G400 Max right? Of course everyone swings different. 

2 hours ago, TJ83 said:

Thankfully no, we got back on the course end of  May through first week of August then shutdown. 

Since I'm here posting, this Sim Max theoretically should spin less than G400 Max right? Of course everyone swings different. 

I do believe most folks who had hit both said that sim.max had less backspin than g400 max.

• Like 1

Friends Sim Came in Yesterday.  Along with the P7MB/MC comb , TM wedges, Woods and Hybrid.  HE got a whole damn bag LOL.

Friend is a Golf Coach and easy low single/Scratch. (I might not do him justice)

8.5* Sim,  Diamana S+ X 60.  Measured 45.75"  Pre Lockdown swing speeds are 110mph, He was doing some speed training and "Maxing 124mph" (ES Swing Radar)so likely averaging 115mph,  

He was having the case of the lefts.  He also mentioned the X shaft was whippy.  He said he really felt the flex/load at the top of the swing that felt REALY off to him.  So hes considering his options with the Diamana.

Suggestions that came up,

1) 45.75"  Tip it .75"  Stiffen it up and get the length back down as he normally plays a 45" anyways.  Hes just disappointed dropping $3000 and not feeling it.

2) I heard/read here, that TM was soft stepping X100?  I need to research, but does anyone know about the Diamana S+ X shafts are they butt trimming and playing soft to flex etc? 

3)Look for another shaft. We played with the Cally Rep Yesterday he was giving him rash about TM clubs, but the Rep had the Ventus, in his maverick that we tried to hit as well,  felt better, but dont know,  so he's saying just go find another shaft.

Out side of that,  The Sim FELT GOOD even with Range balls.  The face it UNREAL soft.  I came from an M3.  (I just took it off his hands)

I have/playing the 915D3, It has worked for me but I have been looking.  Played with the M3 yesterday and its VERY different in sound and feel than the 915, It FELT WAY better.  With that I hit a couple with the SIM and it felt even better than the M3.

Now it depends on a person's feel,  but the SIM felt soft,  I felt the compression and it seemed like the ball stayed on the face long.  Not sure what they have done but dang it felt good.

I tried Cally Reps Maverick driver as well with the Ventus.  But it was between the 915 and the SIM.  The sim hands down FELT the best.

The sound was also interesting.  The M3 with yellow legit range balls had a terrible thwok sound,  (915 was a pingy sound)  The Sim though was more muted than the M3. I was worried at first.  When we hit off the first tee though with real balls.  That sound was clean and VERY muted. It was not loud at all.  It was a change of sound that I got used to with the 915.

All in all Damn... the Sim is pretty awesome! 

Edited by Exactice808

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

26 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

Friends Sim Came in Yesterday.  Along with the P7MB/MC comb , TM wedges, Woods and Hybrid.  HE got a whole damn bag LOL.

Friend is a Golf Coach and easy low single/Scratch. (I might not do him justice)

8.5* Sim,  Diamana S+ X 60.  Measured 45.75"  Pre Lockdown swing speeds are 110mph, He was doing some speed training and "Maxing 124mph" (ES Swing Radar)so likely averaging 115mph,  

He was having the case of the lefts.  He also mentioned the X shaft was whippy.  He said he really felt the flex/load at the top of the swing that felt REALY off to him.  So hes considering his options with the Diamana.

1) 45.75"  Tip it .75"  Stiffen it up and get the length back down as he normally plays a 45" anyways.  Hes just disappointed dropping $3000 and not feeling it.

2) I heard/read here, that TM was soft stepping X100?  I need to research, but does anyone know about the Diamana S+ X shafts are they butt trimming and playing soft to flex etc? 

3)Look for another shaft. We played with the Cally Rep Yesterday he was giving him rash about TM clubs, but the Rep had the Ventus so he's saying just go find another shaft.

Out side of that,  The Sim FELT GOOD even with Range balls.  The face it UNREAL soft.  I came from an M3.  (I just took it off his hands)

I have/playing the 915D3, It has worked for me but I have been looking.  Played with the M3 yesterday and its VERY different in sound and feel than the 915, It FELT WAY better.  With that I hit a couple with the SIM and it felt even better than the M3.

Now it depends on a person's feel,  but the SIM felt soft,  I felt the compression and it seemed like the ball stayed on the face long.  Not sure what they have done but dang it felt good.

I tried Cally Reps Maverick driver as well with the Ventus.  But it was between the 915 and the SIM.  The sim hands done FELT the best.

The sound was also interesting.  The M3 with yellow legit range balls had a terrible thwok sound,  (915 was a pingy sound)  The Sim though was more muted than the M3. I was worried at first.  When we hit off the first tee though with real balls.  That sound was clean and VERY muted. It was not loud at all.  It was a change of sound that I got used to with the 915.

The guy coaches golf but he needs random internet opinions about what to do to make his clubs fit him? 

39 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

3)Look for another shaft. We played with the Cally Rep Yesterday he was giving him rash about TM clubs, but the Rep had the Ventus so he's saying just go find another shaft.

I tried Cally Reps Maverick driver as well with the Ventus.  But it was between the 915 and the SIM.  The sim hands done FELT the best.

Even in X flex, the torque on that Diamana shaft is 3.4, so it's probably going to feel "whippy" to an accomplished player with a 115 mph swing speed.  I did a fitting for the SIM at my club last weekend and got fitted for that shaft in stiff - it's definitely less stiff feeling than the shafts I normally play (AD BB and AD DI), but I'm giving it a shot as it gave me the best numbers outdoors on Trackman and I liked the ball flight.  In your friend's case, I'm a little surprised that someone who can swing ~120 mph got fitted into the stock mid-launch shaft - what were his numbers with it when he got fitted?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

57 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

The guy coaches golf but he needs random internet opinions about what to do to make his clubs fit him? 

????? Internet opinions? I dont recall him asking for opinions from the internet?, I know I am talking about my experience with him while he was live playing with the clubs for the first time. Secondly We are buddies, is it wrong to talk story about options that he has?  Yes he was a highschool coach but doesn't make him a master fitter?  

I swear the thread is,  sim driver guys "talk about it". Im talking about it.  Tough crowd just sharing the excitement of finally getting to see it and try it LOL.

Edited by Exactice808

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

41 minutes ago, dwboston said:

Even in X flex, the torque on that Diamana shaft is 3.4, so it's probably going to feel "whippy" to an accomplished player with a 115 mph swing speed.  I did a fitting for the SIM at my club last weekend and got fitted for that shaft in stiff - it's definitely less stiff feeling than the shafts I normally play (AD BB and AD DI), but I'm giving it a shot as it gave me the best numbers outdoors on Trackman and I liked the ball flight.  In your friend's case, I'm a little surprised that someone who can swing ~120 mph got fitted into the stock mid-launch shaft - what were his numbers with it when he got fitted?

That's what I noticed,  He's a feel player,  so doesn't know much about specs per se.  I looked up all the specs for him to get an idea of whats going on with the club.  

To answer your question, we had this conversation just a couple of minutes ago and now having some seconds thoughts.  His buddy is the TM rep that's mostly the reason for the big switch (he had mostly Titleist).  The M3 Driver that he sold me had the Tensei White 60S (stiff was getting soft for him) Looking that up now the Tensei white is a low launch low spin shaft.  

finding out now the Diamana S limited 60X is a mid launch shaft. HE HITS THE BALL very high so I dont know what happened at the fitting I wasnt there.  He said the fitter put him in this shaft?  It does seem that he has some major doubts about it now, I had assumed they went over numbers though so not sure again what happened.

There is a Caveat, we just finished a 4 week total lockdown  (everything shutdown). He did his fitting 5 weeks ago.  And as first mention he did some major speed training these last 4 weeks of lockdown.  

beginning of the month he sent me this first test with the radar,

1778470162_Screenshot2020-09-25at2_23_51PM.png.b9357f81d9dd9069b7ad6e57b1a8bdb0.png

The prior night before we played Yesterday.  

822278510_Screenshot2020-09-25at2_24_22PM.png.d154649f4db2037c8137d1a5e283e14b.png

He knows this is artificial and likely cant control the 124mph swing, but again, knowing him hes about 115mph on any given controlled swing at this point.  So possible during his fitting he was swinging 110ish at best or slower.  And with 4 weeks of speed training, he is swinging right out of the stock shaft???  But again he says it "feels" disappointing.  

Guess its to the drawing board with the shaft for him.  *shrugs shoulders*

Edited by Exactice808

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"