SIM driver guys - talk about it

getitdaily

How are these drivers holding up? Has anyone had the face dent closer to the heel or toe? I have an M5 that I dented the face and may not be eligible for warranty, I will be replacing the head with the SIM or going Ping LST. I would love to stay with TM, but the G410 and G425 have my interest with all the buzz they've created amongst the forum.

Edited by CKalma

TM SIM 9* Ventus Black 6TX 
TM SIM Ti 19* Ventus Black 9TX 
TM P790 3 DG X100 

TM P7MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG X7
TM MG 52, 56, Hi-Toe 60 DG S400
TM Spider Tour Black

The SIM driver I was fitted for last weekend arrived at my club yesterday, so I put it in play this morning after hitting 5-6 drives with it at the range this morning.  Specs are (LH) 10.5* w/ the stock Diamana S Limited 60S shaft, loft sleeve in the "Higher" setting, standard length.  First impressions are really good.  It's probably 15 yards longer than my 915 D2, which isn't too surprising given both the tech advances since the 915 series came out and the fact that the SIM is an inch longer.  The big surprise is just how forgiving the SIM is on mishits.  I hit a couple near the heel and there was no noticeable distance loss.  I hit 7/14 fairways, and 6 of the misses were in the right rough, with one just in the left rough.   I can live with a one-way miss like that.  The SIM does feel a little fade-biased - my normal shot with the 915 D2 is a small draw and my best drives with the SIM were straight.  I still plan on getting the TSi (likely the TSi3) when it comes out and trying them head to head, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the SIM.

Edited by dwboston
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

On 9/26/2020 at 12:45 PM, CKalma said:

How are these drivers holding up? Has anyone had the face dent closer to the heel or toe? I have an M5 I bought second hand that I dented the face and since I'm not eligible for warranty, I will be replacing the head with the SIM or going Ping LST. I would love to stay with TM, but the G410 and G425 have my interest with all the buzz they've created amongst the forum.

Yes the SIM line has twist face just like the M5/6 so they will dent on the toe just the same. There's a few threads in the tech section I've seen this year.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Does anyone know if there are significant changes in the spin when the weight is moved from one side to the other, or even left in the centre of the slot.

I dont know about significant change in spin but it definitely has a nice affect in helping straightening out a curving ball.

I may be in a new weight config in mine. Played all year with 10g front weight in heel and 4g front weight centered. Loved that setup almost all year.  But it proved to not be so great the last 6 weeks when my swing worked up a flaw. 

I started playing with heavier backweights. 17g backweight with 10g front weight just slightly right of center. Upright lie and closed 1 notch. Probably hit 70 drives tonight in that setup and the ball was obeying significantly. Now for some launch monitor time and on course time. Need to see what the spin looks like and what it does on course. Closed face for a fader...hmm

Got mine in today, playing in the morning.. one thing ive noticed by just looking closely at the head and comparing it to my mizuno, is there is a ton of real estate toeside. Drawing a line from the center mark in the face 90 degrees from the face angle, no doubt that back weight is a good inch toeside. Man sure hope this tames my overdraw!

On 9/26/2020 at 12:45 PM, CKalma said:

How are these drivers holding up? Has anyone had the face dent closer to the heel or toe? I have an M5 that I dented the face and may not be eligible for warranty, I will be replacing the head with the SIM or going Ping LST. I would love to stay with TM, but the G410 and G425 have my interest with all the buzz they've created amongst the forum.

Yes to having the face cave in. I had about 3 rounds and 5 or 6 range sessions when the area slightly toe side caved in. 

Taylormade warranty was great. Had another one at my door in under a month. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Its_KBO. said:

Yes to having the face cave in. I had about 3 rounds and 5 or 6 range sessions when the area slightly toe side caved in. 

Taylormade warranty was great. Had another one at my door in under a month. 

I agree their warranty is great. I am receiving a SIM driver to replace the M5. Hopefully it lasts longer than that for me. 

TM SIM 9* Ventus Black 6TX 
TM SIM Ti 19* Ventus Black 9TX 
TM P790 3 DG X100 

TM P7MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG X7
TM MG 52, 56, Hi-Toe 60 DG S400
TM Spider Tour Black

• 4 weeks later...

Have a SIM Max and just pulled the trigger on a SIM.  Max is nice but I find it a bit light and I do have a tendency to over draw it.  Hoping the SIM is a bit more fade bias plus I went with the Smoke Green 70 in the SIM be the 60 in the Max.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

34 minutes ago, Mookie91 said:

Have a SIM Max and just pulled the trigger on a SIM.  Max is nice but I find it a bit light and I do have a tendency to over draw it.  Hoping the SIM is a bit more fade bias plus I went with the Smoke Green 70 in the SIM be the 60 in the Max.

Upping the backweight on the sim does wonders for it. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 1:22 PM, SwooshLT said:

THIS! I have Atmos Red tour spec 6R and hit comfortable draws or intentional cuts but mostly just straight.....only have a month under my belt ; 10.5* ......will try 9* for giggles

Found an even better fit......Accra dymatch 2.0 Ltd edition white RT50 ......52g, 4.0* fitted into the 10.5* ......just smooth , high and straight! 

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Upping the backweight on the sim does wonders for it. 

You taking Max or regular SIM?

7 minutes ago, Mookie91 said:

You taking Max or regular SIM?

Regular sim.

I played all year with an extra 4g in the front track. After tournament season finished, I started toying with heavier backweights. Settled on a 17g backweight and only the 10g front weight. The difference in forgiveness is very noticeable. 

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Regular sim.

I played all year with an extra 4g in the front track. After tournament season finished, I started toying with heavier backweights. Settled on a 17g backweight and only the 10g front weight. The difference in forgiveness is very noticeable. 

Billy Bob’s Golf?

My son took my beloved G400 max with AD IZ shaft. I hit that better than any other driver. So with excalibur gone, I bought a SIM Max. Ordered from TM to play 44.5". Either it's longer than that or my G400 (also 44.5") is shorter. I hit sky balls for the first month putting some awful idiot marks on the crown. I was getting frustrated. I started choking down about an inch and have gotten the driver under control. I got mine with the Fuji pro 2.0 stiff. Feels like a poker compared to the AD IZ. Still not sold on the combo.

All that said, I've adjust to the driver. It's 20 yards longer than the G400 max, easily. Less spinny. I'm not a long hitter, so that gain is big for me. It's not even close to being as forgiving as the Ping. I have to be on my driving game and really sling it hard or I get weak slices that go nowhere. If I go full tilt, I can straighten it out. It sure sounds a lot better than the Ping.

It's not the be all end all for me. It's harder to hit than the Ping but a breeze to hit compared to the Cobra F9 I tried out. The head feels really light even though the factory put a heavier weight in it. Maybe it's the shaft? It's working well enough for me to game and I couldn't get much for it with the idiot marks, so I'll be gaming it for a few years. I wish it was another 3/4" shorter and the head weighed more.

I had to go with a 10.5 this year in the sim in order to get the right numbers out of it with how low spin it was for me, but man does it hit some crazy bombs. I played a standard epic flash before moving into sim and that was the most accurate driver I’ve had, until now. Not only is the sim just as accurate, its easily 15 yards further on the fly. Playing it turned down one notch to open the face up some with the weight slightly in the toe. Paired up with a tensei pro white 60tx, has been one of my favorite clubs for a while now.

9 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I have given up on my SIM Max as of today. Can no longer keep it from going right of right. 

I went from the Max to the standard SIM thinking I'd play it better, especially with the Diamana shaft (and the weight towards the Draw position), but I ultimately gave up on it as well. When it goes, it goes, but I was way too inconsistent with it and had days where I couldn't get off the tee for an entire round. 

Went back to my all-time favorite: the '18 G400 LST, and couldn't be happier. Should have never chased the newer technology since the half dozen drivers I've tried after Ping really didn't offer any significant improvement. It will be a miracle if the G400 gets booted out any time soon.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

1 hour ago, Hammer22 said:

I went from the Max to the standard SIM thinking I'd play it better, especially with the Diamana shaft (and the weight towards the Draw position), but I ultimately gave up on it as well. When it goes, it goes, but I was way too inconsistent with it and had days where I couldn't get off the tee for an entire round. 

Went back to my all-time favorite: the '18 G400 LST, and couldn't be happier. Should have never chased the newer technology since the half dozen drivers I've tried after Ping really didn't offer any significant improvement. It will be a miracle if the G400 gets booted out any time soon.

Assuming you had the big right side miss with the SIM and SIM Max?

My SIM journey started with the SIM MAX 10.5 in "upright", then went to the SIM MAX D 12 in "lowest", and now I have a SIM 10.5 on order and will probably play at 1 click lower from "upright" position.  I really enjoyed the MAX but something just didn't jive with me as I was having trouble setting up the face square to my target line, and the D helped this a lot.  I think in its lowest position, it was square and this was to date the only driver I hit with a baby draw from time to time and usually dead wood straight.  

I hit my friends SIM and I love the more compact face, but more importantly to my eye, is how square it sets up top line and face are not fighting each other if that makes sense (MAX and D seemed like if I lined the face up the chalk paint line was open and if I lined the top line up, then face was shut).  Looking foward to it as it should be here this week.

I wish they offered a 3pack value deal on the heads LOL

Edited by evoviiiyou
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

9 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Assuming you had the big right side miss with the SIM and SIM Max?

I did. My apologies for leaving that out. They were both the most fade-prone drivers I've ever hit, even with the loft up and face closed. Every so often I'd have several decent tee shots, then it would generally be a disaster. A whole bunch of real good rounds got ruined by bad tee shots, but fortunately the rest of my game is pretty solid which has made a difference.

• Like 1

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Played Sim all summer 9 deg down at 7.5 in a Graphite Design Tour Ad iZ 6x with the weight halfway to fade position. ( miss is left) Best shaft and driver combo I’ve ever had.wont be leaving my bag for a long time. Arccos has me hitting 47% fir and averaging 312. I love the way this driver sits at address and I love the shallow head, here’s Pic next to the former GOAT... 2016 M2

5233C972-341B-44B1-A7CB-61524E68C04C.jpeg

BCA0E3C9-3668-49A9-ABCA-108D5DE1BD9F.jpeg

9D60F5EE-1AE9-48DA-B6B9-A5D13BB1874D.jpeg

Edited by LIGHT THE CANDLE

16 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Has anyone figured out why this thing is so right-biased? I just posted in the other thread to see if anyone came to a conclusion as well.

I cant speak to why, but I actually play a draw with mine. It did require me moving the weight slightly toward the heel and focusing on my path, but I hit a fairly reliable draw that doesn't really hook. As a hooker, big welcome changes

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Has anyone figured out why this thing is so right-biased? I just posted in the other thread to see if anyone came to a conclusion as well.

I suspect several factors here:

1) seems to be super flat setting in "standard" position on loft sleeve

2) open toe twist face blade and the chalk paint line up seem to promote open face at set up

3) something in another post was mentioned about how the alignment of the Vortex generator heavy weight seems to be fade biased slightly (not true on the MAX D however)

4) we just suck with a steep slightly over the top motion

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0