2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Wilson driver coming soon?

The technology for drivers and fairways is much more complex and can be extremely costly compared to irons generally. There is a reason no one just stumbles into the driver market out of the blue on their own. Millions of dollars, very exacting knowledge and experience and one has to keep it up every couple of years. Wilson's history in Irons helps. But as they gain expertise in the improving iron tech this will help in the future with woods if they are will to spend big $$ or try to steal and tweak someone else. Hell the big guys even do that to each other plus steal people (design engineers). Again very, very expensive!!

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

But Wilson has been making drivers for longer than any of the other big boys.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I bet these woods have been in development since Woodland signed. He appears to be getting what he needs out of them.

It also seems that he has changed his approach to the game over the past couple of years. He lays up off the tee on a lot of holes that he has the ability to overpower. Almost like he decided to show everyone he could be a shot maker instead of just a bomber.

• Like 1

I thought 7* and 3* open was a little aggressive by today's standards. Until I saw Bryson's Cobra SZ at 5.5 and he is looking to add a 10* 3 wood. If that is even a 3 wood.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

I've bagged Wilson Fybrids, Fg tour M3 and F5 fairways, and I have to say they have all been very solid performers. I would be extremely interested in a new fairway from them, tour presence notwithstanding, but it can't hurt.

Woodland must be happy as Wilson's number 1 gun, he gets clubs designed for him from them, instead of some other OEM's table scraps. Plus I imagine his contact kicks him a bonus for having woods in play. Even back then, Wilson was churning out laminated maple strata-bloc woods, which were seen as kind of inferior to persimmons

Sam used a George Izett for the vast majority of his career: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/kermitzarleyblog/2019/08/what-was-sam-sneads-famous-driver/

But your point is made, Wilson woods were just as good. (And maybe Sam Snead started the tradition of Wilson staffers not using Wilson woods)

I'm not 100% certain but I think Padraig might have had that gawd awful W/S Spine driver in his bag for the first of his two Open Championship wins. The Spine was released during the high MOI square driver era. And it sucked.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I must have gotten bad info. I thought he used a wilson for something like 17 years.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

I think Paddy played the Pd5 driver to win his first open. He won with the pd6?? the following year. I had the Pd5 - good performance but not very forgiving.

• Like 3

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

@03trdblack Quebec Club Ho might be correct if it wasn't the Spine. Both Pd5 and Pd6 were introduced in 2005. The Smooth was a very good club however and I gamed one for a couple of seasons. It went against the emerging trend of the time of deep faced drivers as it was rather shallow faced. However it wasn't introduced until Jan 2009, which is after both of his Open wins.@Quebec Club Ho I owned a PD5 and can attest to its unforgiving nature. I didn't care for it at all. I had a Dd 6 that I liked a lot better.
  • Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

From a golf monthly wtib from october of 2008:

"Golf Monthly caught up with Wilson Staff player Padraig Harrington earlier this and asked: ‘what’s in the bag?’ Below are the details of the clubs the Irishman carries each week on Tour.DRIVER

I’m using the driver I had at Carnoustie, the Wilson Staff Dd6+. But testing the new Wilson one, I liked it with the new Aldila Voodoo shaft, so I had that shaft put into the Dd6+. I like to hit the ball on a straight flight, without too much spin."

So it was Dd6+ at the 2008 open. Interestingly from the same article he had a fybrid 5w and hybrid but used a TM Burner Tp 3w.

• Like 1

Curious to know if this new driver and fairway woods will be available to the public this season.

Gotta love this company for making an effort to rebuild!

I play some of their stuff and each time I do, I'm very impressed.

Wilson Staff - keep the good coming!

TM Tour Issue M6 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
TM The One 13.5 GD Accra TZ
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
Onoff 2011 4-Pw Roddio Pentacross I-10 SX flex
Wilson Staff Forged 52, 56 & 60  & Miura KM-350 putter

Yes they have but in the 90's and early 2000s, technology and dollars have expanded beyond what "smaller" companies and independents can compete with. It isn't impossible for someone to come up with something ingenious but it will have to be from someone who is exceptional and maybe a little lucky. One of the best, Jesse Ortiz (the genius behind Orlimar and later the Bobby Jones woods and hybrids has retired. He was fantastic at shaping aerodynamics and the use of special metals (pioneered Maraging steel among that).

Thus big money will likely lead the way because once a concept is envisioned it then has to go thru countless analysis, prototying (very expensive) and testing. Trips to China, more tour protos for patents, the serious player testing and USGA/R&A approvals all before production and marketing can begin. This also can take up to two years+ from idea to completion for sale. That alone has tremendous costs.

The world was a lot simpler in the wood heads with inserts, sole plates and steel shafts where craftsmen did all of the designs without the help of Cad designs computers.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

For you guys who are more well versed in new club releases, what is the typical timeframe from prototype appears on tour to prototype based production model hits retail?

And or how often does a club like this never see the general public?

I've never been excited over this kind of thing before and I'm wondering what usually happens

Barring anything really weird, some version of this is going to come out to the public... I don't think they'd make a one off driver and then NOT release it... they are also trying to build the Wilson Labs brand as part of their golf line, so they clearly want something in this space... In terms of timeline, I don't know... This specific driver won't be released publicly. A 7.5 3 degree open driver has a very limited appeal (I'm on board with it, but that's a different story). So we will probably see another driver on the conforming list soon.

My guess is they want to get the tweaks on it right on the production side, and want to build some hype by having it something you want but can't have on the retail side... I'm sure some marketing exec somewhere has the "perfect" time to release the club planned, but I don't know when that is... Them getting certified by the USGA is step one in a release, though... (or really in getting used for PGA play). I'd expect the next club of theirs to hit the USGA conforming list will be released fairly quickly afterwards, but I think the timing is unknown right now.

If you want one sooner, I recommend rooting for Woodland this week, as if he wins, it will definitely shift their timetable massively forward.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I know. The first picture I saw didn't do much for me but when I saw pics of Woodland hitting it I changed my mind.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72