Plus caps only please: what set(s)do you use and why

extrastiff

Well---I just had my entire bag stolen out of my truck 2 weeks ago so I am starting over from scratch.

Before that though I had one set that I played and rarely switched. I tinkered but RARELY would something knock something out of the bag

Driver - TM Tour Issue M1 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei White 60TX

3 Wood - TM SLDR TS 14 w/ Tensei white 80TX

2 Hybrid - Adams tour issue Idea Pro ( club has been in my bag since 2006ish)

4-6 - Mizuno MP-18 SC w/ Project X flighted 6.0

7-PW- Mizuno MP-18 w/ Project X flighted 6.0

Gap- Wedgeworks Titliest 54 deg V grind with DG TI s400

Sand- Wedgeworks Titliest 58 deg K grind low bounce DG TI s400

Lob- SM7 62deg DG TI s400

Putter- Mannkrafted Blue Wave ( looks like a smaller version of scotty cameron fastback w/ plummers neck

The clubs can be replaced but it's the sentimental stuff that is gone forever, Headcovers from clubs I've played, Tournaments, my custom yardage book cover from 2017 US Mid Am, cloth tee bag from Royal Aberdeen, Champions Cup trinket bag, good luck ball markers, divot tool.

I think the iron shafts piss me off the most- they don't make the flighted shafts anymore and those particular shafts have probably been pulled and put in at least 3-4 sets. everything on ebay is fakes at this point.

Just pisses me off typing all of this

• Like 1

KirkNo-yes, sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen back in 2012 six months after I had my first iron fitting and I had the same reaction - so pissed about the sentimental stuff I had in my bag. I had markers and stuff from as far back as high school (a LONG time ago). I got my set back together with help of insurance and eBay but the other stuff was irreplaceable.

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

Yep I read it-one set, or multiple sets? Witb(s)?-multiple iron sets? or whole sets (woods, putters)- all in the same place, or at different properties?-prefer one set over the rest? Score better with one? Travel with your set?

If you're asking a + hcp if they have different sets, etc I'm assuming you are looking for validation to that effect. Sorry if I misinterpreted the question. But what I'm saying stands. I don't know of ANY scratch or better golfer who plays with different equipment than what's in their bag, whether they're traveling or not. It's part of the reason they are that good. They get a set that works and stick with it. They are not chasing the elusive better club all the time. If you use the same tools all the time, you can become an expert with those tools. I'm as guilty as the next guy as far a looking the next great thing - just sayin ...

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

Ok well congratulations cause between me and the stories of multiple others on this thread, you know plus caps that play with different sets. So I disagree that you actually read it.

and No, my equipment is not why myself or anyone else on here is plus. we are dank at golf. That’s why. Now if you wanna argue a +1 would be scratch with bad equipment, sure go for it. Also a reason why I asked if they prefer one of the other, because I am a plus cap, and I prefer one set over the other But have difficulties based on where I’m traveling to and from.

I am asking Other plus caps if have different sets in different locations, As well as other things, for multiple reasons.If you want to continue to ignore that, that’s on you. Not sure what else to say bro, but again, if you don’t like this thread please see yourself out. But at the least, please take this argument elsewhere, there are plenty of arguments about it and I don’t feel like having it on this thread. I am enjoying it, even if you are not

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Plus HDCP players are in top what 1/2 percent of all golfers? They likely, like most professionals, have one set, perhaps a backup to same specs of clubs they really know.

Even as a mid to lower single digit player, I'm pretty sure a plus hdcp could beat me with any off the rack set of clubs.

It's the archer not the arrow, IMO

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

As the thread shows, yes there is a trend that plus player stick to one set, but it is not a rule. I have not seen a post that yet suggest someone keeps a back up set of the same clubs. And yes it always is the archer not the arrow, but not at all the point of the thread

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

people seem to really want this to be a “is one set better than multiple sets” thread. I will change the title in the hopes that people don’t feel the need to put in their two cents on a debate that is absolutely not the point of this thread, we definitely don’t need another one of those threads

Though not a Plus HCP this has been a really good read and a reminder you can’t buy a game.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

+0.8. Haven't posted a round since first week of May in 2019. 13 or so months. Been on the DL.

I play one bag.

However. I do like golf clubs. I enjoy them. Borderline collect to a point. BUT. Everything is methodically built. I do know what works. I do know what my preferences are. I do know what my tendencies are. Everything gets built the exact same. Everything.

I don't rotate often. I don't tinker often.

Oh. And my 4 Iron? A Forged Cavity Back.

Kirk no way (No Yes)? Sorry bro, that sucks man. Guys this dude is hreat snd if ai remember is P Reeds personal trainer. Kirk also gets paid to play events even as an AM. Dude can play and travels but doesn’t practice lol!

I will add in next post... hope you are well Kirk!

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

So hate to comment as I am not +. My best in years was last year 3.7 but I play with a ton of + players in NH. All essentiallyplay the same bag through the year. Upgrade and test in offseason.

They will only change after testing and research. Played with a 2x State Champ last month and he only plays tourneys and does not practice. He hadn’t touched his clubs since Sept and went +4/-2! Back in the shed they go. LOL

I will add that while all of these + players might not tinker they all have new gear. So they may act like they aren’t “Ho’s” but in reality they are upgrading. Just not shopping/swapping and googling in Classifieds like us!

Lastly if you truly wish to lower your index/scores you need consistancy. Its proven. So I have gone with “Play for $ play what works”. But still have extras around all the time to try. Also what is better than swapping?!?!

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

As of last update, plus 3.6 here- personally will test stuff to see if something performs significantly better consistently than what is currently in the bag, yet I am also loathe to change away from clubs with which I enjoyed past success. I only use one “set” for vast majority of rounds, although I do have a few fairway wood and wedge options for very specific courses/conditions and may use a different weight of similar style putter just as a feel reset to practice before placing the starter back in play for any round of importance.

I usually test in offseason and stick with same set-up in season. I have a secondary set that consists of clubs that used in past that I will use for any air travel, and took that set with me during my three years residing in Hawaii, leaving clubs with particular sentimental attachment back with parents in NC.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Although i'm a gear junkie I don't tend to change equipment much. I have one bag of gear that I use and that's it..

Consists of:

Titleist 913 Driver

Titleist 913 15 degree

Titletist 913 19 degree

Ping i3 Blades

Vokey SM4 60 Degree (used to have a Callaway forged original design 60 degree until I won the SM4).

Callaway Forged original design wedge 54 degree.

Odyssey Metal X No6.

I have been using the same irons since new (20 years this year), drivers 7 years old two days ago, putter is around 7 years old (I think?). I just change when i'm due going really wrong in a part of a game, mostly my putting. I switch between blade type or 2 Ball style and have been doing that since the original 2 ball release.

Not + but a previously a low single digits golfer (still play to it, just don't have an official handicap).

Played off 0.9 last season, not a + or I’d tell you about my 8 sets

love the tinkering ... lies, lofts, grinds, shafts, flagsticks etc

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I play one set and rotate between 3 options at one point in the bag.

M5 [email protected] with Tensei White 70TX

M5 [email protected] with Tensei White 70TX

(1)DHY Pro@ 18 with DG 105X

(2) King F6 Hybrid @19 with Whiteboard 90X

(3) Sonartec GS Tour@18 with shaft unknown

Ping i200 (4) and S56 (5-P) with Project X 7.0

Ping Gorge 51SS, 56SS, 60TS with DG X100

White Hot Rossie

Srixon Z-Star XV

I don’t have other sets, I can’t afford it! Built my set for less that $900CAD

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

this thread is absolutely not about if one set is better than multiple sets.

and while I love WITB as much as the next guy, I am looking for the bags of plus caps only pleaseAccording to others on here, for each extra set of clubs you get rid of, your index will improve over a tenth of a point. So you should be scratch at least if you stop playing with so many sets ?

I test a lot but my actual bag doesn't change much during the year. My WITB is in my sig but I play around a bit but most rounds at my club out of convenience.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Hey Ben, thanks for the kind words. haha, I am not being paid to play in AM events so just want to clarify that. Still don't practice though unless hitting balls before a round for 20 min counts. I use to grind like a mad man but found that I shot the same scores if I hit 30 balls before a round or spent 4 days on the range a week grinding. The only thing I may practice is my wedges and short game if I get some time. I spend a considerably large time working with my son who plays High School QB and looks to have a bright future there. Now THAT I will grind at with him. I'd rather spend 3 hrs in the 100deg heat catching passes, running routes and working on footwork drills with him than stand on a range and figure out how try to work a 7 iron from a 3yd draw to a 5yd draw. haha. Still no luck on my clubs. I fear all of it is gone.

+2.6 here.

I tinker constantly but rarely change anything between 4i-LW. Hybrids, fairways, and the occasional driver are where i tinker most but something has to blow me away to get in the bag. More than anything i am bored and love to tinker and build.

Played CMBs for 5 years, went to Wilson tour V6s for 3 years, and now back to CMBs again. I am in the middle of building a backup set of CMB irons to the same specs b/c i picked them up cheap but i dont have a second bag or backup bags. Just random clubs and shafts in a bag near by work bench.

Current setup is in my signature.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS