Do We Fade, More Than Draw As We Get Older?

rony

One thing I've noticed as I've gotten older is that I'm starting to fade the long clubs. I have always had a soft draw with every club but have started hitting fades lately. It's new to me and I have to learn how to align for this type of shot. I must admit it's "Pretty" and seems to drop softly out of the sky onto the green on an approach. Perhaps this is due to my swing speed slowing down, but now that I've switched to Graphite shafts, maybe the swing speed will get back up there again. Any other Seniors notice this?

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Yes Rony,
I had experience the same a few years back, but with more trips to the drivng range, and stetching exercise, I'm back to my game without switching over to a light weight shaft.
My club fitter told me a lighter weight shaft would give me back my distance and game, but I'm stubborn and resisting to acknoledge that I need equipment help.

Until a couple of years a go I played a fade most of my life. It was partly do to over swinging/swinging to hard.

Well as the body started to tell me that I just can't swing like that anymore I took a lesson from a fellow that helped me change my swing. I am swinging the club much easier with much better tempo and form.
My ball has pretty much straightend out and can play a slight draw. I'm swinging easier, smoother and the ball is going as far and in some instances farther. I'm now working on a little bit bigger draw with the same easy swing trying to pick up a little more distance with the Driver.

I wish I'd have met this guy years a go...

I'm in the same catagory as 'idrive'. Use to fade the ball but last couple years have learned how to draw it ( most of the time ) (: Slower, smoother swing definitely helps. I'm pretty much self taught and it took me several years to figure this out. Much better to take lessons but I'm kinda stubborn. :cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...

If your flex is a little softer it may allow you to continue to hit the draw. I have always played a fade and hope it never changes, high soft iron shots and no OB left. :russian_roulette::)

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

I have had a similar experience. I think it is probably a combination of loss of club head speed and shaft flex. My driver head speed is definitely 35mph slower than it was when I was 30. I know this because it was measured back then and more recently. I have been recovering from a hip replacement and has I have got stronger I have moved from an A flex back to a stiff flex. I found at each flex I initially would hit a fade but as my club head speed increased this would turn into a draw. I have always been a natural drawer of the ball. Recently I have gone back to using a stiff flex driver. I find that I'm driving further and straighter but if anything I now have a touch of fade on the ball flight. I'll be interested to see if this becomes a draw in the next few months.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually find that the fade I used to be able to rely on

has turned into a draw and actually a hook on too many

occassions. Been trying to stand closer and more upright to off-set this.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. As with a lot of things at 69 golden years.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

• 11 years later...

I wish !. Still hooking them if concentration lapses. My R7 driver is seriously weighted towards a fade/slice and I drop my wrists a la Hogan at the top of my swing. Also bring my leading foot back. By doing all those the ball (usually) goes straight.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

The older I get the harder it is to fade the ball. A combination of weaker legs and slower rotation through the shot leads to more flipping at impact.

Lee Trevino switched from a push fade (and make no mistake he hit a push, not a cut) to a draw as a senior, no doubt due to changes in physical strength in addition to back issues.

A happy consequence is that the draw does go further if you can control it.

I will occasionally attempt my old push fade, but it usually results in a double cross into the woods, across the street or into the parking lot.

• Like 2

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

> @dcopp7 said:

> All the old guys in my league hook the crud outta the ball

Interesting. I see far more slices than hooks in my sr. men's league. I'm one of the few that hits a consistent draw.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @pickerjohn said:

> I actually find that the fade I used to be able to rely on

>

> has turned into a draw and actually a hook on too many

>

> occassions. Been trying to stand closer and more upright to off-set this.

>

> Sometimes yes, sometimes no. As with a lot of things at 69 golden years.

Exactly my experience, and exactly the same age. I don't fight it, just play with (usually) a controlled hook. I wish I could fade one on purpose.

• Like 2

> @Shallowface said:

> The older I get the harder it is to fade the ball. A combination of weaker legs and slower rotation through the shot leads to more flipping at impact.

> Lee Trevino switched from a push fade (and make no mistake he hit a push, not a cut) to a draw as a senior, no doubt due to changes in physical strength in addition to back issues.

> A happy consequence is that the draw does go further if you can control it.

> I will occasionally attempt my old push fade, but it usually results in a double cross into the woods, across the street or into the parking lot.

Trevino was never a long hitter on the Tour. His ball flight of a cut fade is accurate and that's why he won tournaments in those tough narrow layout.

He could hit a draw if he needs to. As Jack Nichkaus turned and asked him "what's this " when he neede to hit a draw on a fee shot and he DID.

Hitting a draw later on in his life is owing to physical changes with age and injury, but not because it's forced that way. He needed more distance since he had lost additional distance when he got older.

I heard Travino does not play golf any longer ( not in public anyway ) because of his physical condition. I wish him well.

• Like 1

As usual, I am the oddball. Under 2 weeks I hit 61 & still have a baby fade just like when I was in my teens. Can hit a draw if I have to, but have to really work at it. Still working at the relaxed swing idea. Last weekend on the front had a 36. Then 4 over on the first 3 of the back nine. After my head exploded, swing easy & pulled out a 40 on the back. All the guys my age & older are the same a scomac2002...they mostly slice the ball. Very few have a draw or hook.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @Shallowface said:

> > The older I get the harder it is to fade the ball. A combination of weaker legs and slower rotation through the shot leads to more flipping at impact.

> > Lee Trevino switched from a push fade (and make no mistake he hit a push, not a cut) to a draw as a senior, no doubt due to changes in physical strength in addition to back issues.

> > A happy consequence is that the draw does go further if you can control it.

> > I will occasionally attempt my old push fade, but it usually results in a double cross into the woods, across the street or into the parking lot.

>

> Trevino was never a long hitter on the Tour. His ball flight of a cut fade is accurate and that's why he won tournaments in those tough narrow layout.

> He could hit a draw if he needs to. As Jack Nichkaus turned and asked him "what's this " when he neede to hit a draw on a fee shot and he DID.

> Hitting a draw later on in his life is owing to physical changes with age and injury, but not because it's forced that way. He needed more distance since he had lost additional distance when he got older.

> I heard Travino does not play golf any longer ( not in public anyway ) because of his physical condition. I wish him well.

Again, Lee never hit a "cut fade," at least not as his stock shot. He hit a push fade. A completely different shot. If you can score a copy of Lee's instruction book, "Groove Your Golf Swing My Way," (which may well set you back three figures as it is hard to find. I have a copy as well as a copy of the version published in England titled "Swing My Way.") you will see the difference. It is one of the best instruction books I have ever read.

Lee played in the Saturday Legends event at the Insperity Invitational back in May. He looked and played just fine, especially for someone who will be 80 in December. I've heard nothing of the sort that he's given up playing in any way, shape or form.

Here's a link to a site that has an excerpt from a 1979 Golf Magazine article where Lee describes his push fade.

http://www.advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3509

I wish Golf Channel would do one of their multi-episode instructional series with Lee. If he didn't feel he could demonstrate his point of view as well as he would like, he could comment on footage of his swing when he was in his prime and talk about what he was doing and thinking. I believe he is very likely one of the top 5 in history when it comes to swing knowledge and how to play the game, and I'm afraid it is going to go with him if someone doesn't act to preserve that knowledge.

• Like 2

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

• 3 weeks later...

In an old video clip, Lee Trevino suggests the draw puts less strain on the back then the fade. A chiropractor I visited plays golf, and he concurs that the draw is less strain.

To maintain my draw, I had to go from a neutral to a strong grip this season. Don't know why, other than I'm not quite as handsy and am swinging more smoothly.

With the draw, my miss is a push into the first cut rough, or on the right edge of the fairway. I can live with it.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• 1 month later...

I am fading the ball now more than I used to, I think it has more to do with my drivers weighting. The Ping drivers are more fade biased than my previous ones I believe. Coming from mostly Callaway. I can still work it both ways but my natural shot used to be pretty straight and maybe fell a bit left, with my miss being a duck hook. Now my miss tends to be a push.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

This is an interesting thread. I faded for years but the last 2-3 have started drawing more and didn't know why, really. (Just hit 6-0) I think it was a lack of rotation as some of you have mentioned. To compensate a bit, I've been working on loading my right leg more on the backswing and being more deliberate about making sure I complete my turn. That has straightened my ball flight out. Went to the range today and was hitting both fades and draws by just by opening and closing my stance - and LOADING enough. Not loading enough or finishing the backswing was like the 'box of chocolates'.

Thanks for the observations, gentlemen.