2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Working through your sticks

Vater

Asking this in Equipment as I'm asking from a clubs perspective.

What's your practice routine in terms of club sequence?

I go wedges>short irons>long irons>hybrid>fairway>driver. And I'll leave some balls un-hit if I drill three drives in a row toward when I want to leave. Nothing worse than leaving on an off-center hit.

Do you go up or down your bag? Or do you start/end with your 6 or 7 iron for example?

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I see what you're doing there - kind of ramping up and then finishing off with scoring clubs. That's a good progression I'm going to give a try. And I won't have to measure whether or not I should leave on a good drive.

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Read an article about a year back about how pros practice, and have tried to mirror that since and have seen much better results in focus, and on course improvements. I used to just go at my weak clubs on the range and beat them to death hoping I can "figure them out", even if they were pulled maybe 1-2 times a round. That builds up the stigma and fear imo, so naturally when it was their turn it would be less than ideal on course. Changing approach, and understanding its all the same swing and applying that has really upped consistency and performance of even those trickier 4 irons etc.

Edit: https://golf.com/instruction/how-pga-tour-players-practice-amateurs-infograpbic/

So I usually hit my GW and SW the most, then swap to Driver. That grooves in the extreme ends of the swing, and then touch up the middle with about 2-3 balls per club before heading to the practice green or first tee.

Also of note, this comes after one has dialed in the bag to cover distances and knows mostly what club does what distance or 1/2 swing etc.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I don't practice much but warm up. W-7-4-D

Pitches, the light swings then full swings with wedge. Lots of stretching. Then 7 aim at some flags or pick a line, 4 aim at flags or pick a line. Driver hit one. Then visualize 1st hole. Pick line and hit one. Then hit 7 iron. Then 1 driver. Then 1wedge. Then driver and 1 4 I. Then tee a 4 I. Driver a couple times then done.

I'll occasionally hit a second one if I hit a bad shot during this routine but I practice like I play. I find it really helps transitioning without alot of practice swings when on the course.

Probably don't hit more than 25-30 shots whilst warming up. Then chip/flop, then putt...then 1st tee box. I stretch more than I swing to get loose.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Hey look, I have exactly 1 thing in comming with pros I usually start with wedges and work my way up through the bag, but hitting progressively less shots as I get into mid and long irons. Then I usually end with more wedges.

One other trick I like, is to alternate between driver and either a full PW or a 100 yard sand wedge. They're the two most different swings, and the two most common back to back swings during play. I like to think I'm training my body to switch between the two types of swings easily.

I start off with 3/4 PW, then 3/4 9 iron until I am warmed up. Full PW all the way down to the driver; 2-3 balls per club.

Then I jump between the 8, 6, 2 irons and finish off with partial lofted wedges. I’ll leave a few balls if I perfectly execute a shot and leave on a good note.

The last few practice sessions I had intentions on the scoring irons only (LW-6) but pretty girls keep showing up since summer time is in bloom. So it was lot of 2 irons to show off.

I always, always start with partial distance wedges - from 20 to 70 yards. Probably a quarter of the bucket hitting just those shots.

Then I work my way up from full wedges up to driver - often skipping clubs in the progression and different clubs on different sessions.

Driver is not high volume, but I always imagine holes from my local courses and try to hit those shapes. I hit several bunt/chip drives, too.

If a particular club was giving me problems on my last round, then I hit a few extra of those.

Finally, I finish off with a few more partial distance wedges and some flop shots.

My range practice sessions are typically less than 50 balls, total.

Start with orange whip warm up, hit a couple of drives. This is also my last minute warmup and typically works!

Then PW, 1/2, 3/4 swings until I hit them flush. Then hit a few of PW, 8, 6, 4, hybrid.

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

I start off with driver because that's usually the first club I use in a round and I want confidence in that club on the first tee. Then I go to mid to short irons because that's usually what I hit next ( most of the courses I play start with par 4's ). Then up to long irons and down to short irons finish with fairway woods.

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

Me personally I would start with my shortest club (SW) and then go to a 7 or 6 iron, then my 3i, then a 5w or 3w, and then the big stick. Repeat.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

LW and go up odd numbers GW, 9,7..etc to Driver. Then back down on the even numbers 2Hybrid, 4,6,8....etc!

i try to leave each club after I’m satisfied with the contact and shape. I may hit a club once, or may hit a club 4-5 times, I rarely put one back in the bag if I hit it poorly unless it’s a hybrid or 2 iron and I know I just am off that day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same, but some days it is my 58 or 50. It depends on what targets are close. Those first and last swings will be my 50 to 75% wedge distances. I like to hit a few shorter shots at the end to slow back down as my tempo can get quick.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Yea I didn’t really go into much detail with my post, but I always start and end my practice with shots anywhere between 30 and 75 yards. I try to spend the most time on the shots I know I’ll frequently see on the course.

[b]WITB[/b]
Cobra F9 - Rogue White 130 6X 
Cobra F8 3-4 - Rogue White 130 8X
Cobra F9 19* - Tensei Pro White 90X
Srixon ZX7 4-PW - PX LZ 6.5

Titleist SM7 Black 50,54,58
TM Spider Tour Black

I start with half swing lob wedges until I loosen up then work my way up the bag spending extra time with my pitching wedge and 7 iron. Usually start hitting draws, transition to straight balls then to baby cuts with every iron in the bag. I only hit maybe 5 balls a piece with the 4 wood and driver unless they’re broke I don’t fix them. I end back on my 58/54 wedges hitting the same shots I started with. Then I’m off to the putting green for 3-5-7 drills for about a hour and a half typically.

My range has 55 gallon drums out at about 40 yards so I spend too much time making noise with the 58/54/50 wedges at them. It does help get my tempo and ball striking warmed up though.

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Some interesting insight from the TXG guys. The purpose of the video is not relevant to this thread, but some of the findings are. Largely, that range balls are not very accurate at all for wedges and under. Basically the ball is so hard it produces a flyer on higher lofted clubs. It has definitely changed the way I view my practice. Remember that pros are hitting good balls at the range, not pinnacles and top flights like most of us are.

• Like 1

Ranges are a complete waste of time for me. It took me a long time to figure it out. I do 20 minutes of yoga stretches and go to the putting green and hit chips and putts for 30 minutes.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I work partial wedges to start, and then progress to full wedges. Depending on what I'm working on at time, I will typically only hit 10-12 balls with the driver and work on hitting the shot shapes I need for the holes I am playing that week in my match play league, but that's it. The rest are spent on short/middle irons and finish with the wedges again.