2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Best of the 2020/2021 new players irons

Theweekday

Curious to hear from people what their favorite new players irons are from the new releases. I am looking to upgrade my set of irons that I've played for the last 5 seasons. I am currently gaming the Apex cf16's. I have loved these irons however I am looking for something in a smaller package with regards to PW - 6 iron. I am curious about the X forged cb's, t100's, p7mc, Zx7, 921 tour's, King Tour MiM's, mp 20 mmc, and any suggestions. I am absolutely going to get fitted when I do get new irons, but I enjoy seeing what people have to say. I currently play off a 9.6 HC, and I would say ball striking is a strength. 

921 tour are my favorite so far, waiting to see the new Apex pro before pulling the trigger 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST ◆◆◆  / Tour AD HD  

4wood - Cobra RadSpeed / Tour AD IZ

Hybrid - Callaway Apex / Tour AD DI 

Irons - Cobra Forge Tec  /  Dart V 90  

Wedges - Cleveland RTX 6  52 / 58 

Putter - TM Spider X   Ball - Titleist AVX

Following are my top 3:

1. Srixon ZX7

2. Titleist T100s

3. Titleist CB 620

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I made the jump from CF16 to MP20 MMC/MB combo to T100S. I ordered the Mizunos all the way back in August after hitting them, but they didn’t arrive until last week due to delays in production and shipping. While I was waiting for them I happened to fall in love with the T100S and they seem to suit my swing a bit better. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Absolutely love my P7MCs. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

1 hour ago, Theweekday said:

@MPAndreassi What made the T100S better for you?

I think the head design in general. TXG has a great video on YouTube comparing the T100S and T100. That’s what really pushed me to try them. I’ve always played flat lie angles and the extra tungsten in the toe helps me. I’m playing them at 2* weak so the same lofts as regular T100. My tendency is to get a little steep as a miss so the extra bounce from bending them weak helps also. The sole on the Mizunos, just like ones in the past, were a bit too diggy for my miss. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

2 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

I think the head design in general. TXG has a great video on YouTube comparing the T100S and T100. That’s what really pushed me to try them. I’ve always played flat lie angles and the extra tungsten in the toe helps me. I’m playing them at 2* weak so the same lofts as regular T100. My tendency is to get a little steep as a miss so the extra bounce from bending them weak helps also. The sole on the Mizunos, just like ones in the past, were a bit too diggy for my miss. 

Ok that makes sense, I have hit the 919 Tour's before and I loved the ball flight, however it was on a mat and not on real grass. I have heard that mizuno's tend to suit sweepers more so than diggers. 

3 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

P7MC is butter but at a 9 I’d go at least 4 and 5 but probably 4-6 in the 770 to combo in. 

Yea I have certainly thought of doing a combo set that way with the TM's, I would probably go the 4-5 route, or depending maybe 3-5. I currently game the cf16 3 iron and love it, my 5 wood and 3 wood were too similar, and my 3 iron is my 220 - 230 club off the tee. I have considered going the combo route with most of the OEM's iron line up other than Titleist. 

7 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

So many good irons in this category this year. The Srixon SX7s are fine irons, but I've been really taken with the Honma offerings, especially the TR20V and TR20B. I also liked the Titleist T100s. Strangely (for me), I haven't tried any of the Mizuno offerings.

I’m definitely interested in the Zx7’s. I don’t believe the club where I last got fit carries Srixon, which means I may have to get fit somewhere else. That’s a bummer though because I really liked my last fit. 

39 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

So many good irons in this category this year. The Srixon SX7s are fine irons, but I've been really taken with the Honma offerings, especially the TR20V and TR20B. I also liked the Titleist T100s. Strangely (for me), I haven't tried any of the Mizuno offerings.

I used to be a die hard Mizuno iron user but I don't know what has changed in the MP 20 range... Didn't like them at all. I never looked at Titleist irons until I tried the T100/T100S and 620 CB. Srixon?? Never even considered them but now they are in my bag... A strange year for me...

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Ball - Srixon Z Star

10 hours ago, hypergolf said:

I used to be a die hard Mizuno iron user but I don't know what has changed in the MP 20 range... Didn't like them at all. I never looked at Titleist irons until I tried the T100/T100S and 620 CB. Srixon?? Never even considered them but now they are in my bag... A strange year for me...

A strange year for everyone.. what was the difference from the cb to the t100?

2 hours ago, Theweekday said:

First of all you will have slight distance loss with 620 CB compared to T100 although CB edges in feel when you pure it. 

Spin rate is more consistent and slightly higher (tested both with same shafts) with 620CB.  

Turf interaction was better with T100 on grass by hair. 

Overall, 620 CB is slightly more demanding compared to T100. 

I would have considered 620 CB from 4 to 6 irons and 7 to PW in 620 MB if Titleist didn't charge for every shaft & grip upgrade on top of the premium they charge for their brand recognition.

Mizuno and Srixon offer free upgrades to most shafts and grips which I think is fantastic.

Because at the end of the day, most clubs are so good and perform well regardless from which company these days that every little offer from the manufacturer tips over the consumers.

• Like 1

Ball - Srixon Z Star

This subject is of great interest to me as I'm debating whether or not I need to replace my Nike Pro Combo (2014) set. Honestly, how can any of these irons improve on what Nike did? I'm no Nike fanboy by the way. 

However, I've had them for 4+ seasons and all the these new models are stirring my interest. Plus, let's keep the economy going!

Is there anyone out there who gamed the Nikes previously who could be of help? The Nikes feel awesome, sound great and are forgiving enough that I rarely need to practice to maintain a decent handicap. The only issues I have with the Nikes are the size of the shorter irons being little large and I'm not a real fan of the hosel flow.

Sorry, I'm not trying to thread jack, but trying to get more information.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

First of all you will have slight distance loss with 620 CB compared to T100 although CB edges in feel when you pure it. 

Spin rate is more consistent and slightly higher (tested both with same shafts) with 620CB.  

I would have considered 620 CB from 4 to 6 irons and 7 to PW in 620 MB if Titleist didn't charge for every shaft & grip upgrade on top of the premium they charge for their brand recognition.

Mizuno and Srixon offer free upgrades to most shafts and grips which I think is fantastic.

Because at the end of the day, most clubs are so good and perform well regardless from which company these days that every little offer from the manufacturer tips over the consumers.

I agree...except from what I have seen the new Srixon’s won’t be giving Project LZ as a free shaft where Titleist does (did a Titleist Thursday and the 6.0 were money). Have to try the ZX7 and see if Modus 120 give the same feel/numbers. 

4 hours ago, Theweekday said:

They literally look identical at setup. Fractionally larger with the t100 but again most people wont notice. The biggest difference for me, is the feel. T100 has that hollow pop feel too it. Cb is more solid feeling like a blade type feel. 

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

They literally look identical at setup. Fractionally larger with the t100 but again most people wont notice. The biggest difference for me, is the feel. T100 has that hollow pop feel too it. Cb is more solid feeling like a blade type feel. 

Interesting to see that perspective.. the cf16’s I own felt similar (in my

mind) to my buddies 718 ap2’s. I would definitely like something softer or less clicky in the short irons for my next set. 

2 hours ago, kepeollie said:

I agree...except from what I have seen the new Srixon’s won’t be giving Project LZ as a free shaft where Titleist does (did a Titleist Thursday and the 6.0 were money). Have to try the ZX7 and see if Modus 120 give the same feel/numbers. 

If you are Project X LZ type of guy, make sure you demo Modus 120 X flex.

Edit: Even if Srixon upcharges on certain shafts it will still turn out to be cheaper than Titleist's.

Edited by hypergolf
  • Thanks 1

Ball - Srixon Z Star

16 hours ago, hypergolf said:

In my case, it's mainly because my regular golf shopping haunt doesn't carry any new Mizuno stuff, but does have new Srixon, Bridgestone, and Honma product. I'm interested in trying the MP20 range, but I'm not so bothered by it that I'll go out of my way to do it. That said, I did recently pick up a current model Flight-hi #4, though I got it secondhand.

4 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Consistent spin rate is definitely something I’m looking for as well. I also have absolutely 0 brand loyalty, and agree that pretty much all club makers make pretty equal products in their respective categories. The one club I wish that there was more reviews on is the X forged CB. The reviews I have seen have shown a pretty consistent spin rate and decent forgiveness. The only downside is that I have held those irons (didn’t get to hit them) and they do have considerably visible offset, which is a turn off for me. However maybe getting them bent 1* weak would do the trick. 

I think the Zx7’s are the irons I’m most excited to hit. X forged cb is probably in second place. I really like the idea of a 770 4-5 iron split with MC 6-p, but I don’t know if I like the idea of 790 sibling with consideration to spin numbers for 4-5 and potentially 6 irons. 

I vote for the MMC; I have hit a bunch of irons and they work best for my swing.  I keep trying others for the heck of it and nothing I have found is better. 

they are all great sets: whether they are great for you is what you really need to determine 

BTW, I have found the entire range of MMC irons to be easy to hit. I am confident teeing off from our 220 yd par 3 with my 4-iron.  Granted, it is a big green, but I hit it more often than not.  I bought a hot metal pro 4-iron as a test and returned it: it wasn't any more forgiving than the MMC 4-iron  

You should be fine if you are a good ball striker; they have been nothing but easy to hit for me. 

• Like 1

I'd say so far the late 2020/21 release has been pretty darn awesome!!!! You got Taylormade's P7MC/MB, Srixon's ZX5/7, Mizuno's JPX 921/Tour, Callaway's X Forged CB / Apex MB, and the list goes on and on. I honestly wasn't due for a new set of irons this year, but with all the great options I couldn't resist! I ended up ordering a very special set of Callaway Apex MB 21 irons that I am waiting to arrive. It will be really interesting to see if these kick my old faithful Miura TB's out the bag!   

Wondering if anyone here has followed a similar path.  I'm back in the game after a decade long layoff and have really wanted to dedicate the next 2 years to improving my ball striking and scoring with a single digit HC goal.  Played a bunch of rounds this summer with my old GI Pings and got my HC down to ~16, former baseball player, good eye hand coordination long off the tee and a ~175 7i distance, the problem is I have a very steep swing and a nasty slice/push slice so I am rebuilding my swing from the ground up.

The old Pings shovels I was playing are very forgiving with mis-hits but with my goal of fixing a broken swing and not just hitting the most forgiving iron I picked up a set of MP20 MMCs from someone here for a smoking deal with the logic that if I'm determined to fix my ball striking I should have a set of irons that highlight my misses.

I have lots of time to practice and live <5 minutes from my club, so I guess what I'm asking is has anyone here played irons likely out of their league and successfully practiced their way in to them?  Fixing my slice and ball striking is my number 1 priority over immediate scoring. It took me a few weeks to get used to the thin topline and smaller body but I'm confident taking them on the course now but my scoring has definitely taken hit.

Edited by Kynolan21