2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rickie Fowler is a cautionary tale in overexposing a superstar

BlackDiamondPar5

Regarding his golf career, at best he can hope for a Career like Lee Janzen or Bubba Watson.  He would need a couple majors, but he has time.  More likely his Career might be of a “ Kenny Perry” caliber .  If he keeps his game into his mid 40’s, that is possible as are some runner up finishes in majors.

Edited by Yuck

On 12/11/2020 at 8:17 AM, Socrates said:

He's already won the Players.  Oh, wait.  Only the Tour players consider it a Major.

And the Hall of Fame requirements.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

31 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

And the Hall of Fame requirements.

Rickie can say that he beat the strongest field in golf. There’s debate about if the PGA Championship or the Players is harder to win. The PGA Championship field is very slightly stronger from the 30th-60th ranked players.

But there is a lot to back up the Players being the strongest field of any event due to how strict the requirements are to qualify.

Rickie doesn’t close well. As of 2018 he won only one of of 6 events when he had a 54 hole lead.

But He was actually trailing by 5 shots with six holes to play in the 2015 players and played them -6 to get in the playoff. 

Edited by bscinstnct

If Rickie was dragging his bags through the airport to not miss his connecting flight to make his commercial shoot, then the author may have a point. But calling up his private jet to take him to anywhere on a whim completely removes the whole issue of time commitments.

Turning 32 today with a bombshell wife, 9 professional wins, each endorsement deal is worth winning several tournaments in one, and already has enough money in his bank accounts to keep multi-generations of his family taken care of. Sign me up for that disappointment of a career.  

I hope he finds his groove back. Sergio Garcia's late Masters victory should continue to give him hope that one of the big ones could still come at any point when everything is clicking. 

Edited by NV825
  • Like 3

On 12/11/2020 at 12:27 PM, ebrasmus21 said:

Meanwhile, on WRX, if Rickie doesn’t win 30 Tour events, 6 WGC events and 4 majors he qualifies as an underachiever 

That statement makes it seem Rickie has won 20 times with a couple of majors and WGC's. But living in reality he has won 5 times in 12 years no majors or WGC, so maybe 8 wins, 1 major, 1 WGC is more realistic

2 hours ago, NV825 said:

If Rickie was dragging his bags through the airport to not miss his connecting flight to make his commercial shoot, then the author may have a point. But calling up his private jet to take him to anywhere on a whim completely removes the whole issue of time commitments.

Turning 32 today with a bombshell wife, 9 professional wins, each endorsement deal is worth winning several tournaments in one, and already has enough money in his bank accounts to keep multi-generations of his family taken care of. Sign me up for that disappointment of a career.  

I hope he finds his groove back. Sergio Garcia's late Masters victory should continue to give him hope that one of the big ones could still come at any point when everything is clicking. 

Great point about Sergio.

And while Rickie is not near Phil’s caliber, Phil won his first major at 34 I think. 

Im thinking even if Rickie keeps being Rickie and doesn’t get all Mr T motivated, one Sunday afternoon, he’ll find himself a Major champion. 

But, maybe he will go Mr T, be like,

65C2020B-9BAE-430C-8F98-C297A11D1FD2.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NV825 said:

Disappointment of a career is not in terms of bank account or hotness of wife. It's in relationship to potential on the golf course. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

Disappointment of a career is not in terms of bank account or hotness of wife. It's in relationship to potential on the golf course. 

Fowler’s whole tour persona was built on Puma orange clothing. Did anyone say he was going to be a great player?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Fowler’s whole tour persona was built on Puma orange clothing. Did anyone say he was going to be a great player?

More than 5 wins and 0 majors by age 32 was the expectation

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

6 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

How many? Ten? That would be half way to a hall of fame career. Did some really expect that?

10 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

So he did not live up to *our expectations.

Fortunately for him,

He is not us ; )

And given he is literally living a dream, he is wise to be very happy with what his career has brought him in his life.

• Like 3

Rickie comes across as a guy who just loves that he gets to play golf for a very comfortable living. He doesn’t seem to have ‘fire’ to win like a lot of guys, but there’s also a lot of other journeyman on tour that are the same way as Rickie. It’s just that he’s been hyped and branded more. The reason I’m such a big fan of his is because of his laid back attitude, his class, his professionalism, his charity work, etc. I could go on and on. I think people fall too easily for the hype that media and marketing creates. Just let Rickie be Rickie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

So he did not live up to *our expectations.

Fortunately for him,

He is not us ; )

And given he is literally living a dream, he is wise to be very happy with what his career has brought him in his life.

He’s not living up to his own expectations on the course either

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

42 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

He’s not living up to his own expectations on the course either

How do you know he “expects” anything?

That’s easy for us to say. 

Id say he wants to win a major, win more in general. But that’s not the same as expecting to. 

You may be buying into the media expectations too much and projecting that is what Rickies were.

Rickie went pro in 2009, played his first full year in 2010. He did not win until 2012. 

What do you think he saw and has seen out there?

He saw how freakin good the players are and how ridiculously hard it is to win. 

So, I wouldn’t assume you know what his “expectations” are. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

How do you know he “expects” anything?

That’s easy for us to say. 

Id say he wants to win a major, win more in general. But that’s not the same as expecting to. 

You may be buying into the media expectations too much and projecting that is what Rickies were.

Rickie went pro in 2009, played his first full year in 2010. He did not win until 2012. 

What do you think he saw and has seen out there?

He saw how freakin good the players are and how ridiculously hard it is to win. 

So, I wouldn’t assume you know what his “expectations” are. 

He said his expectations are typically higher than anything anyone else might have for one. 

“If anything, typically my own expectations are the highest,” he adds. “I set my goals and focus on them, and how I want to play. I don’t worry about whatever the outside expectations might be.”

• Like 2

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

7 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

He said his expectations are typically higher than anything anyone else might have for one. 

“If anything, typically my own expectations are the highest,” he adds. “I set my goals and focus on them, and how I want to play. I don’t worry about whatever the outside expectations might be.”

That quote would easily support either of you.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Heres some balance to that to put it in full context. 

He is aware that he has literally lived his dream. 

"Looking back, as far as looking when I was a kid and what I dreamed about doing as far as playing on the PGA Tour and winning on tour, I’ve got those taken care of," Fowler said.

"I'd love to have a lasting impact as far as growing the game. It would be cool to be remembered as a major champion. I’d like to be remembered as a great golfer but also a great person, as far as growing the game and charity work. The whole well-rounded athlete."

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

That quote would easily support either of you.

I don’t think so. It’s unreal to expect Rickie to have 5-10 majors by now; he’s not Phil or Brooks or Spieth or Rory good. But he expects more out of his game than he has up to this point is how I understand that quote. Rickie doesn’t have the desire to win like he has the desire to pick up unnecessary sponsors. Only when he was called out by his fellow pros did he achieve his greatest win. Maybe the Lynch article will be that boost.

I like Rickie. He’s about the nicest guy on Tour. I hope he puts it all together because he says his goal is to be better. Hopefully the swing change works. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 minute ago, Holy Moses said:

I don’t think so. It’s unreal to expect Rickie to have 5-10 majors by now; he’s not Phil or Brooks or Spieth or Rory good. But he expects more out of his game than he has up to this point is how I understand that quote. Rickie doesn’t have the desire to win like he has the desire to pick up unnecessary sponsors. Only when he was called out by his fellow pros did he achieve his greatest win. Maybe the Lynch article will be that boost.

I like Rickie. He’s about the nicest guy on Tour. I hope he puts it all together because he says his goal is to be better. Hopefully the swing change works. 

“Rickie doesn’t have the desire to win like he has the desire to pick up unnecessary sponsors”

Interesting thing to say. I don’t think even the author of the piece would go this far. 

• Thanks 1

OK, OK.

So, which tour guy do we judge next in the court of GolfWRX?

Golf is one of the hardest things you can do to earn a living.

Not considering minor or developmental leagues. The "Show" for each sport:

1,700 NFL players @ $3.26 million average salary.

750 MLB players @ $4.03 million average salary.

450 NBA players @ $8.32 million average salary.

999 NHL players @ $2.69 million average salary.

125 PGA Tour players @ $1.01 million earnings

(No salary. PGA Tour members are independent contractors and must pay for transportation, caddie and all costs associated with playing in a tournament. Players in USGA events and the PGA Tournament earn various incomes even if cut. There is no income in regular tour events if cut.)

• Like 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Jack disagrees with Rickie’s major prep. Rickie thinks you should treat majors just like any other tournament. And by that he means his nights are filled with sponsor obligations, even during the Masters. If Rickie’s goal is to win one, he needs a new strategy. But you have to qualify for them first. 

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

3 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Maybe some media talking heads had higher expectations for Fowler's age 32 win total but many people who closely follow high level amateur and pro golf did not have especially high expectations for his pro career. His junior , collegiate, and amateur tournament record was good but not legendary. His swing technique and tee to green ball striking has always been questionable. Mostly , from a pure golf perspective, he has has been recognized as an extraordinarily good putter. All factors considered Rickie having 5 Tour wins is probably closer to over achieving than it is under achieving.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

25 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Jack disagrees with Rickie’s major prep. Rickie thinks you should treat majors just like any other tournament. And by that he means his nights are filled with sponsor obligations, even during the Masters. If Rickie’s goal is to win one, he needs a new strategy. But you have to qualify for them first. 

Lol, you’re on a roll. Maybe Rickie should ask Jack

Looks like Rickie, Jack, and Barb are pretty close 

E89D4C49-BBFA-4FC0-B68B-B6444D3F382F.jpeg

6 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Lol, you’re on a roll. Maybe Rickie should ask Jack

Looks like Rickie, Jack, and Barb are pretty close 

E89D4C49-BBFA-4FC0-B68B-B6444D3F382F.jpeg

Of course they’re friends, but that doesn’t take away from Jack’s pointed criticism’s of Rickie’s major preparation.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26967357/rickie-fowler-not-kid-anymore-win-major%3fplatform=amp

“This has become a consistent theme for Fowler -- treating a major as if it were the Waste Management Phoenix Open. Experience, he said, has been a great teacher when the stakes are high. Now, Fowler says he feels more comfortable in majors, and better equipped to keep his normal pace and rhythm when everything starts to speed up on Sunday afternoon.

But when he tried to explain that approach earlier this year in a Golf Channel episode of "Feherty," the 18-time major champion sitting two seats to his left fired a one-iron shot in his direction.

"I'm not sure that taking every tournament the same, Rickie, is exactly the way to win a major," Jack Nicklaus said. "I took majors totally different than I did any other tournament."“

Other players feel similarly. Tron Carter mentioned in a recent NLU podcast that other players have no idea why Rickie is doing sponsor commitments during the week of the Masters. 

O’Connor ended up article linked to above with:

“That's why Fowler is the reigning Best Player To Never Win A Major.

"It's not something that's going to define me," he said.

As a human being? Absolutely not.

As a highly skilled professional golfer?

You're damn right it will.”

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

19 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Of course they’re friends, but that doesn’t take away from Jack’s pointed criticism’s of Rickie’s major preparation.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26967357/rickie-fowler-not-kid-anymore-win-major%3fplatform=amp

“This has become a consistent theme for Fowler -- treating a major as if it were the Waste Management Phoenix Open. Experience, he said, has been a great teacher when the stakes are high. Now, Fowler says he feels more comfortable in majors, and better equipped to keep his normal pace and rhythm when everything starts to speed up on Sunday afternoon.

But when he tried to explain that approach earlier this year in a Golf Channel episode of "Feherty," the 18-time major champion sitting two seats to his left fired a one-iron shot in his direction.

"I'm not sure that taking every tournament the same, Rickie, is exactly the way to win a major," Jack Nicklaus said. "I took majors totally different than I did any other tournament."“

Other players feel similarly. Tron Carter mentioned in a recent NLU podcast that other players have no idea why Rickie is doing sponsor commitments during the week of the Masters. 

O’Connor ended up article linked to above with:

“That's why Fowler is the reigning Best Player To Never Win A Major.

"It's not something that's going to define me," he said.

As a human being? Absolutely not.

As a highly skilled professional golfer?

You're damn right it will.”

Tron?

Hey, check this out.

First pic, Barb is like,

”Ok, now I’ll stand next to Rickie and you stand stand next to me, Jack.  Ok, that’s good” 

Then, Barb like,

“ok, Jack, now just move a little more to your right. A little more, ok, that’s good”

49CC9612-A2BA-46B9-8534-C61A7302C904.jpeg

00AB17A6-20DE-4A7E-BC57-198340B1455A.jpeg

6F7C0A55-2084-4098-8850-B9761BA2FD92.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct