2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rickie Fowler is a cautionary tale in overexposing a superstar

BlackDiamondPar5

5 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Damn you!!!! Elway might be a better comp. 

He even had failures before his first success , and "couldn't win the big one"

I would say Elway probably would be lower on the alltime QB list than Phil is on the golfers list....but like I said, perfect comparisons are impossible 

I think they are both top 10 to 15 all time. Stats are really skewed in the NFL in recent years. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Ha!  Well, for what you’re billing, I hope whatever you’re building there actually works ; )

Hope he's working on code to beat those Russian hackers.  Or maybe.....

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

17 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Rickie made nearly 950k in official money on tour in 2020 through the Fed Ex Cup.

Capture.PNG.8604205be773a0f64651840e79173507.PNG

Lol, I was looking at the tour website and totaling winnings, except I totaled FedEx points instead. 🤐

• Confused 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

41 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Lol, I was looking at the tour website and totaling winnings, except I totaled FedEx points instead. 🤐

If Rickie had 450k Fed Ex Cup points in 2020 that would be an all time record across all of the different FEC formats. Fowler had 402 FEC points in 2020. Not sure what numbers you are looking at Shilgy!.  🙂

Capture.PNG.889c8727f0bbab46be92f2f70ba307b2.PNG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Socrates said:

Hope he's working on code to beat those Russian hackers.  Or maybe.....

Nah. Co-founded a tele-health startup (and wrote every line of code that makes the product work) about a year and a half ago. 

Then COVID happened. Can't say that was in the initial business plan. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

9 hours ago, Shilgy said:

You are now a cautionary tale in over-exposing the wrong earnings numbers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

9 hours ago, grm24 said:

If Rickie had 450k Fed Ex Cup points in 2020 that would be an all time record across all of the different FEC formats. Fowler had 402 FEC points in 2020. Not sure what numbers you are looking at Shilgy!.  🙂

The guy I replied to said he made more than Rickie in on course earnings in 2020. Part of that would be the 2019-2020 season and part is the 20-21 season. Yes, I did a quick total in my head and was on a phone so missed that the points were a decimal rather than a comma. So 450 points translated to $450k.  I read the tiny screen FedEx points of 109.20 as $109k for example. 
No excuses I f’d up!

9 hours ago, grm24 said:

This will explain it better.... it looks like this on iPad. So the points looked like dollars

1DEAF1A6-0250-4447-AA39-E4309A8514C6.png

Edited by Shilgy

11 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Damn you!!!! Elway might be a better comp. 

He even had failures before his first success , and "couldn't win the big one"

I would say Elway probably would be lower on the alltime QB list than Phil is on the golfers list....but like I said, perfect comparisons are impossible 

As long as we are talking QBs, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly never won the NFL's sole major.  So Mark Rypien, Joe Theismann, Jeff Hostetler, Nick Foles, etc. must be better quarterbacks.  Chess may be one of the few competitive activities where a lucky (or unlucky) bounce doesn't happen.

39 minutes ago, Naptime said:

As long as we are talking QBs, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly never won the NFL's sole major.  So Mark Rypien, Joe Theismann, Jeff Hostetler, Nick Foles, etc. must be better quarterbacks.  Chess may be one of the few competitive activities where a lucky (or unlucky) bounce doesn't happen.

Don’t forget Trent Dilfer!!

I suspect he’ll be back to his normal standards next year. When he went to Tillery they did exactly what everyone thought they would do and try to get Rickie to shallow the club in transition instead of a steepening move. Apparently, they have aborted that recently and are working back towards how he swung when he played his best. 

1 hour ago, Naptime said:

Are you comparing a sport that has 33 starting positions plus owners and a front office to golf? 

45 minutes ago, freeze16172002 said:

Are you comparing a sport that has 33 starting positions plus owners and a front office to golf? 

Not really, we were having a side discussion about which athlete in another sport is most comparable to Phil Michelson 

Candidates include John Elway and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. And others 

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

9 hours ago, stingerfade said:

Wow that’s when football was tough. Look at the blood/dirt on those socks. I remember stickum!

That's stickum on those socks. You can still buy it btw. Lester is my all time favorite football player and I say that as Seahawk fan who still hates the Raiders from the old AFC west days. 

21 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Not really, we were having a side discussion about which athlete in another sport is most comparable to Phil Michelson 

Comparing Jabbar to Mickelson is a insult to Jabbar. You could argue that Jabbar is the greatest player ever, you couldnt with Phil. 6 nba championships, 3 ncaa championships, all time points leader, 3rd in rebounding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could be wrong, and I haven't read every post. However,, of the people I know to be extremely talented at something, they are also keenly aware of their contemporaries. It wouldn't be shocking to me if Ricky decided early on, I'm really good and talented, but not DJ/Rory/Phil/Tiger good or talented, so I'm never going to be the best ever or best of my generation - then I'm just going to be a good golfer, make some money, represent myself and my parents well, be a great ambassador for the game, appreciate the fans, and at the end of day I'll win what I win and that's ok. 

• Like 1

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

On 12/19/2020 at 11:29 AM, MtlJeff said:

Elway maybe, and still likely not,  not Jabbar at all. I think to compare someone with Phil it would need to be someone universally considered top 20 in their sport, but no shot whatsoever of being considered top 5 and never really being the BEST at any given time. I can't think of a year when Phil was the best golfer on tour. To me Phil is like Art Monk. One of the two or three best WR's during his time, but never better than Rice. Definitely hall of famer and given the change to the league in terms of passing, probably a top 25 all time receiver whose stats haven't aged as well. He won three super bowls. 

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

On 12/19/2020 at 9:31 AM, Shilgy said:

The guy I replied to said he made more than Rickie in on course earnings in 2020. Part of that would be the 2019-2020 season and part is the 20-21 season. Yes, I did a quick total in my head and was on a phone so missed that the points were a decimal rather than a comma. So 450 points translated to $450k.  I read the tiny screen FedEx points of 109.20 as $109k for example. 
No excuses I f’d up!

Rickie made $947K in the 2020 SEASON, not in calendar year 2020. 

Yeah, I hate the wraparound season too. :classic_laugh:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

29 minutes ago, melo said:

Elway maybe, and still likely not,  not Jabbar at all. I think to compare someone with Phil it would need to be someone universally considered top 20 in their sport, but no shot whatsoever of being considered top 5 and never really being the BEST at any given time. I can't think of a year when Phil was the best golfer on tour. To me Phil is like Art Monk. One of the two or three best WR's during his time, but never better than Rice. Definitely hall of famer and given the change to the league in terms of passing, probably a top 25 all time receiver whose stats haven't aged as well. He won three super bowls. 

Top 20 gotta be a little low for Phil? I mean do a lot of people not have him top 10?

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Top 20 gotta be a little low for Phil? I mean do a lot of people not have him top 10?

I think pretty much everyone has him in the top 20...top 10, I'm sure some, but I doubt it's better than 50/50...top 5, only his biggest boldest most biased fans...

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

9th in wins, T-14th in majors. Phil is right on the edge of being a top-10 all-time player. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

14 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

9th in wins, T-14th in majors. Phil is right on the edge of being a top-10 all-time player. 

Nicklaus, Woods, Hogan, Hagen, Player, Sarazen, Snead, Watson, Palmer, Jones...Then you could argue for Trevino, Nelson, Faldo, Vardon, Seve. I think you could safely say Phil is a top 15 all timer. If he won the U.S Open he would have clearly been top 10 or higher

17 hours ago, melo said:

Phil be like

Who parked that car there?! 🤣

Edited by bscinstnct

15 hours ago, melo said:

I think pretty much everyone has him in the top 20...top 10, I'm sure some, but I doubt it's better than 50/50...top 5, only his biggest boldest most biased fans...

I suppose the Kareem comp isn't good after all. I don't follow golf history as much. I thought Phil was firmly in the 5-10 range

Deschamps Crisp Antique