4-Way vs 14-Way Stand Bags

hstrass

I've used both a 14 way and 4 way stand bag. I much prefer the 4 way. I get tired of arguing with clubs in a 14 way. Even with full length dividers. Cart bag, 14 way. Stand bag, 4 way.

• Like 3

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

I waivered between 14 way and 4 ways before...owned both.

Personally, I prefer the 14 way - just me...I like orderly, neat.   

With 4 way, stuff was clanging around all the time.

4 way in general will be lighter than 14 way.

14 way divider systems are not perfect (as in a continuous blocked off section per club), but honestly, this never frustrated me.  Sometimes a club may not go down all the way and you have to jiggle it a bit.

I prefer the Titleist bags in general (better fit and finish than SunMountain IMO, solid strap system)

Currently have a 2020 Titleist hybrid 14 way (cart/carry).

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

2 minutes ago, YMark said:

I've used both a 14 way and 4 way stand bag. I much prefer the 4 way. I get tired of arguing with clubs in a 14 way. Even with full length dividers. Cart bag, 14 way. Stand bag, 4 way.

This, but the size of the top is important, too. A narrow 4 or 5 way bag is as much of a pain as the eternal tangling mess a 14 way brings with it.

I bought a Sun Mountain H2NO Pro 14 way stand bag, and even with this quality and full length dividers, clubs get stuck. It’s worse with stand bags due to them being angled 45 degrees. 

If I had to to it again, I’d get a high quality 4 or 5 way bag, full length dividers and a putter well, if that exists. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Ping hoofer bags (never the 14way slots) 

Best bags since forever- especially if you carry or are playing with other "players"- a ping hoofer will always be class.

Personally hate 14way bags- Unless you are not serious about the game then I could care less.

I worked in a backshop for years and guys with 14 slots would jam 2 irons into 1 slot or have their woods in the dumbest slots and putter in the direct middle of the bag. Just annoying as hell re-organizing dudes bags when you are cleaning their clubs only for them to complain later that we messed up their bag order.

• Like 1

Left Handed

Driver: Titleist 917D3 [SureFit:C2=9.5*@11*] (Diamana W70x) {Golfpride mcc-black}

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti [15*@ 15.75*] (Diamana ltd. 75x) {TM z grip}

3 hybrid: Titleist 818H2 [SureFit:B3=19*@18*] (GD tour AD-DI 85x) {Golfpride mcc-white}

2 Iron: Titleist 718 T-MB [17* std. loft + lie] (X100) {Golfpride Z-cord}

3 Iron: Titleist 712u [21* std. loft + lie] (X100 XP95) {Golfpride tour wrap 2G}

Irons 4-5: Titleist T200 [2* weak, 1*up] (PX6.0) {Golfpride Z-cord align}

Irons 6-Pw: Titleist T100 [std. lofts, 1*up] (PX6.0) {Golfpride Z-cord align}

Wedges: Titleist SM4 [52*, 56*, 60*] (wedge flex) {Golf Pride mcc white & blue}

Putter: 2021 Bettinardi QB6 (coming soon) 

Walking or riding, don't get the 14 way bag notion - just adds weight.

I now have 14 clubs, 6 with headcovers in a Sun Mountain 2.5 - never have any issues getting my clubs in or out when walking or riding, and pretty easy to put in the back of the Jeep when I'm done with my round or, more recently, carry down to the basement for winter, lol. 

55 minutes ago, hstrass said:

@monkeyboy I do like the Hybrid line of bags. Would you recommend purchasing one? Also, do they have full length dividers? It's not one of my main concerns, but it would be preferable.

I really like mine - again Titleist had the best fit/finish/choice of colors, all other things being equal.  It is relatively heavy - but I only carry my clubs to the range...I ride 99% of the time.  If I had to walk with it more than 10% of my rounds - I definitely go lighter or get a 2nd carry bag.   

The dividers are not true full length - I don't think that is actually possible or practical...instead it is a rigid collar of 14 way then nylon fabric that goes down about 75% of the way or so for each slot.  You'll find most of the 14 ways are like this...some work better than others.    Bonus is a larger putter slot and pass thru for cart strap so you don't block access to any zippers.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

If I were to walk and carry, I prefer a 4 way - I can clean a club, walking with the bag on my back, and, easily, put the club back into the bag. This isn't as easy with a 14 way bag, as, the slot for the club is smaller.

For riding and push carts, I like my 14 way bag, lots of room. If you are torn between a 4 and 14 way bag, one deciding factor could be how you want to arrange your clubs in a 14 way bag. You might decide, it is too much trouble to mess around with, and, you would be better off with the 4 way bag. 

• Like 1

I have always liked a 14 way bag. I liked to keep things organized in my bag. It also helps if I leave a club behind because you see an empty spot right away. I feel it also speeds up play. My friend always seems to be looking in his 4way bag for a particular iron where I know right where my are.

I have three Sun Mountain Four5 14 way bags and two 14 way cart bags. 

Edited by Greenie

11 hours ago, hstrass said:

I'm looking for a new stand bag and I'm currently using an old crappy cart bag. While searching I found the Sun Mountain 4.5LS range of bags and I fell in love. However, I'm stuck between the 14 and 4 Way dividers. Anyone with 14 Way or 4 Way dividers got any feedback or advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.

1 tried both, and found that 4 way is perfect for me: 1 for woods + putter, 1 for short irons, 1 for long irons, 1 for wedges.

I feel like it’s a hassle to find a particular spot for each club (14 way) comparing to a group of clubs. 

I currently use a Stitch SL2 with a 4 way divider. 
I hope it helps.
Cheers

A89ADC3E-4EE5-42F9-8D7B-E1947F94858C.jpeg

• Like 1

14-way all the way.  Things are clean, organized and you never forget a club because you see the empty spot.  Modern 14-way stand bags are super light.  The Sun Mountain 2.5+ 14-way bag is under 4 lbs.  I walk 99% of the time and use a push cart ~75% of the time with a Sun Mountain 4.5 14-way bag and have no complaints. 

4-way vs. 14-way is a lot of personal preference, but weight is not a deciding factor anymore with the modern 14-way bags being so light.

• Like 2

I have a 14-way Sun Mountain Phantom cart bag, that I like, but I want to get a new stand bag. The SM has full length dividers for all the slots, which definitely reduces the club tangle.

I tried the Mizuno BR-D4 6-way, but it doesn't have dividers between all the slots, and I could tell after loading it, that club tangle was going to annoy me. I just bought the Titleist Hybrid 5, as I like the idea of a little more flexibility from the 5 versus 14 slots, but it also claims to have full length dividers. The ones I saw previously in the store appeared to have them, so I'm hoping that that will reduce the potential tangle between compartments, if that makes sense.

I had to order it, so not sure when it will be here, but if I like everything about it other than the 5 slots versus 14, I could always exchange it for the Hybrid 14-way.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NativeTxn said:

I have a 14-way Sun Mountain Phantom cart bag, that I like, but I want to get a new stand bag. The SM has full length dividers for all the slots, which definitely reduces the club tangle.

I have a 14-way Sun Mountain 3.5 stand bag and the clubs tangle like a 6 year old girl's curly hair. 

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

4 way all day. Woods + putter in the top, 3-5 irons and 6-8 irons in the middle two, and then 9 iron + wedges in the bottom. A 14 way bag is just adding weight unnecessarily. 

Some people mentioned it's easier to get clubs in and out with a 14 way, but I've always found that to be the opposite. With a 14 way you have to move clubs out of the way and carefully drop the club into that tiny slot. With a 4 way the opening is huge and you can just drop in in there as you're picking up your bag.

One person mentioned his friend can never find the club he's looking for in a 4 way bag?? I'm not really sure what this is about. Maybe he hasn't realized the clubs have the number right there on the sole 🤣

• Like 3

On 12/8/2020 at 10:47 AM, hstrass said:

I'm looking for a new stand bag and I'm currently using an old crappy cart bag. While searching I found the Sun Mountain 4.5LS range of bags and I fell in love. However, I'm stuck between the 14 and 4 Way dividers. Anyone with 14 Way or 4 Way dividers got any feedback or advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.

I recently decided the time had come to replace my 15 year old Sun Mountain stand bag; I have no idea of the model, but it had 5 dividers plus a dedicated putter slot (6 dividers total) and in my opinion it was perfect.  At the very top (spine) of the bag was a putter slot, below that a single slot the width of the bag for driver, fairway and hybrid and below that were four dividers arranged 2 x 2  that held my 4-6, 7-9, PW-GW and SW-LW.  I thought that organization was perfect, the putter was separate and protected and the rest of the clubs were grouped in an orderly manner that made it easy to locate and pull a specific club and a quick glance to verify that all clubs were accounted for before moving on to the next hole with minimal tangling.  When I decided to replace it I was really bummed that I couldn't find a similar design, my choices were either 4 or 14 way dividers.  The 4 way divider just seemed way too crowded and jumbled.  Although I wasn't positive it was the right decision, I went with the 4.5 LS 14 way divider and I couldn't be happier.  It took me a few tries to optimize the placement of clubs, but I have had no problems putting clubs in or taking them out.  I am also amazed in 15 years how much lighter the new bag is despite being slightly larger than the old bag.  

Edited by mizuno

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

On 12/9/2020 at 4:59 PM, Abh159 said:

One person mentioned his friend can never find the club he's looking for in a 4 way bag?? I'm not really sure what this is about. Maybe he hasn't realized the clubs have the number right there on the sole 🤣

I guess my friend isn't as organized as you. His returning a club anywhere in his bag and then sorting through the NUMBERS on his clubs to find the number he is looking for next time well I get a laugh out of it. 

I don't know how many times a yr. I hear oh I might have left my club some where on the course. Never mind I found it. 

I'll admit it's probably has to do more with him then the 4 way bag..

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 10:08 PM, NativeTxn said:
On 12/9/2020 at 4:42 PM, YMark said:

I have a 14-way Sun Mountain 3.5 stand bag and the clubs tangle like a 6 year old girl's curly hair. 

Interesting. I haven't had that issue. Wonder if the dividers in the 14-way are different in the car versus the stand bag?

I have three SM Four5 bags with 14 way dividers and I don't see what all the club tangle is about. Occasionally I might have one stick. When I do I think it is when I try to put the club back in when the bag is resting on it legs at at angle. Since my method is to be lifting the bag straight up as I am returning the club I thinks this helps out a lot. When any club sticks trying to put it back in I don't fight it. By the time I've moved the bag to put the carry strap over my shoulder that stuck club has fallen into place. I never had an issue pulling a club out. Again this might be because I lift up on the bag and pull the club I want.

With any type of bag if your bag is on an angle all the clubs are going to want to settle together unless you have full length dividers. I don't have an issue carrying my bag. I can't say I have an issue when I use my push cart either. To be fair though my push cart is the Upright caddy so my bag is straight up when sitting in the push cart. 

3 hours ago, Greenie said:

I guess my friend isn't as organized as you. His returning a club anywhere in his bag and then sorting through the NUMBERS on his clubs to find the number he is looking for next time well I get a laugh out of it. 

I don't know how many times a yr. I hear oh I might have left my club some where on the course. Never mind I found it. 

I'll admit it's probably has to do more with him then the 4 way bag..

You're a very patient man. My group would have had to had an intervention with him by now. Putting your clubs anywhere in the bag without any sort of organization CANNOT and WILL NOT be tolerated!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

You're a very patient man. My group would have had to had an intervention with him by now. Putting your clubs anywhere in the bag without any sort of organization CANNOT and WILL NOT be tolerated!!!!!!!

Agreed.  It's actually easier/faster with a 4 way vs a 14 way if both are organized.  Without organization either would be a debacle.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Prefer a 14 way personally, but also prefer a putter well (which I don't have on mine).  Don't like the fact my putter is held up by the head cover due to the depth of the bag.  Too cheap (to this point) to buy a whole new bag for one though.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I've used the 14 way dividers before, and I'm now using a 4 way divider.  I prefer the 4 way after using the 14 way for a majority of the past 10 years.  If I'm taking my speedsticks to the course with me or any extra shafts or clubs with me to the course, it's easier for me to put them in the 4 way dividers.  I also like the slightly lighter weight of the 4 way dividers.  

My current bag is the Mizuno BR-D3 with the 4 way.  It's got plenty of pockets and space for my clubs.  I was going to get a Sun Mountain 3.5 or 4.5 with the 4 way divider before I saw this Mizuno bag.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)