2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Best push carts to research

Hi all, looking for some help here. Just joined a CC and will be walking a lot more this year, so I want to invest in a push cart. Not looking for anything motorized, just a 3 wheel cart with solid room for phone/water bottle/etc. I have a Taylormade flextech bag and my course is fairly "hilly" so something with a good braking system would be idea. 

Wondering people could throw some names specific brand/models out there for me to look into. I value the opinions here.

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

i've been using a Bagboy Nitron for over a year now and couldn't be happier....super easy to fold up/down, lighter than the clicgear and easy to maneuver. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

I've used a Clicgear 3.5 over the past few years, and recently updated to the 4.0 for no other reason than the upgraded bag straps and the ability to adjust the way the bag sits at the top of the cart with adjustability.  

I also like the various accessories that you can attach to the Clicgear as well.  I have the mesh bag attachment to keep extra pullovers in the winter, or extra water bottles since Covid started.  There's plenty of other accessories that can fill your walking needs.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

So I think the Clicgear seems to be the best most durable, i also looked at the Nitron and the Caddytek which looked pretty decent.  I have to confess, many times I get super frugal and know that many I golf with wont walk.  I had a bunch of Hotel points I converted to Amazon giftcards and I settled for the Caddytek lite ez tour. I am not dissapointed in its quality, but if I walked 100% of the time i believe  I would opt for rhe Clicgear, since i understand  it has bearings, where  the Caddytek  doesn't. 

ClicGear.  Have one that is still strong after several years of use.  Beware, newer CC bag staff will struggle with opening and closing which could increase wear and tear.

Titleist TSR3 10° Tour AD UB 6s // TS2 15° Tour AD UB 7s // 913F 19º w/ Kai'li 70s

Titleist U505 3i, T100 4-P (2021) w/ $-Taper 115

Nike VR 52.10º & 58.10º w/ KBS 610 

SC 2014 Select Newport 

ProV1 '23

Rovic RV1S.  Add the Bag Boy "shelf" under the handle, and you have more room to cram stuff than you should ever need.

https://www.bagboy.com/collections/bag-boy/products/accessory-bag-compact-3-express-dlx-pro

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag Boy Quad, I feel like I mention it so much I'm starting to shill. 

Easiest setup and breakdown, excellent bag fitting (especially for stand bags), and it fits better in a trunk than some 3-wheeled carts. 

• Like 2

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

BagBoy Tri-Swivel - both rear wheels lock, great cart (now at the in-laws beach house).  I now have the BagBoy Quad XL which I prefer. Super easy to fold/unfold.  And if you ever want to change your bag, look into a Datrek or BagBoy with the TopLok system; makes getting the bag and cart out of the trunk, linked together, and on your way to the course, a process that takes less than a minute - Awesome.

Edited by 5baytjd
  • Like 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

On 3/22/2021 at 6:34 AM, texasdave said:

i've been using a Bagboy Nitron for over a year now and couldn't be happier....super easy to fold up/down, lighter than the clicgear and easy to maneuver. 

I've been carrying forever. Decided to try a push cart this year and did lots of research, borrowed some from friends and ended up getting the Nitron.  Super easy is an understatement. Like 5 seconds to go from folded to ready to go and the same to pack it back up. It's light but very stable. No negatives to report.  

Edited by scottaz

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

22 hours ago, e-man said:

Caddytek from Costco is excellent.  I’ve had mine for 5 years and put over 350 rounds on it.  Comes with all of the accessories that are extra on the clic gear at around 1/2 the price.  Built like a tank and easy to open and close.  I highly recommend it. 

Another vote for CaddyTek. Similar amount of usage on mine. 

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

I love my CaddyTek, but I don't think it handles being stopped on hills very well. I wish there was a handbrake that activated both rear wheels. That said, I've learned how to position the cart on hills, and the price made the trade-off justifiable.

Edited by pseudoswede

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

2 hours ago, Bashdash said:

Does the caddytek work well with a stand bag?  I think I have read a button works well but just wondering about the caddytek as it seems more cost effective.

It works great with a Hoofer style bag, not quite as well with kick-stand style bags.  Also, I prefer the model with the non swiveling front wheel.  TGW now sells it branded under their own name. 

Main recommendation from me would be the swivel front wheel is such a huge advantage. I'd been using a fixed front wheel one for the last few years, and finally came across a nice deal on a tour trek with the swivel front wheel. What a dream to use compared to the fixed wheel. Don't have to pivot the thing up onto the rear wheels anymore and jockey it around to make a turn, just push the thing in the direction ya want and away ya go. The caddy tek and tour trek stuff I think is from the same brand and me and my buddy use them and enjoy them. 

But yea I think all the main brands are pretty solid, but for sure go for the swivel front wheel, makes it 10 times more enjoyable to use IMO. His is the CaddyTek Leopard, mine is the tour trek one click 360. Both great in our experience.

CART GANG.jpg

Edited by kmay__

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I bought the Caddytek from Costco last summer.  It was cheaper and most everybody else was sold out with no availability until fall.  I have been very happy with it and it folds up pretty compact.  Space was a consideration since we are full time in our RV and this fits the bill.  The only issue I had with it was the stand bag I had didn't sit well in the base due to the leg stand on the bottom of the bag.  Mine has the swivel front wheel but there is a button that allows you to lock it in place if you choose.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter and I both have the Clicgear 3.5 and have had no problems out of them. She walks a lot for school matches and Junior tournaments and hasn’t had 1 problem out of hers. 

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

I have a lot of experience with the sun mountain speed cart v1 and the clicgear 4.0.  The sun mountain weights 17 lbs and is super easy to stear.  It "can" support a heavier bag but does better with lighter bags.  My heavier staff bag caused 3 or 4 broken spokes on the wheels.  the breaking system is easy and works great.  Perfect cart for a fairly light cart or hilly course.

The clicgear 4.0 is 21 lbs and appears to be a little stronger overall.  So far it's handled my staff bag with ease/problem free.  Steering isn't as good.  I got a steering knob which helps some but the sun mountain definitely takes the cake on that.  The accessories are fantastic for clic gear.  Adds cost but it's well worth it.  I'd recommend this cart.

I briefly had the clicgear 8.0+.  Was a tank.  29 lbs.  Hard to steer and found my legs wearing out wayyy to earlier for my normal 36 holes of walking on saturdays.  I only recommend this one if your bag weighs 35 lbs or more or if you play a very flat course.  I recommend you put an 18 pack of Busch latte in your bag to make the work worthwhile with this cart.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rorykoepka said:

I've been looking at this one cause it's so sleek on how it folds up.  Have you had any problems with it tipping over backwards?  I read somewhere that it may be a concern with this model

I have not.  Now, I use a lightweight bag, if that makes a difference to whatever tipping issue someone may have had, but it's very stable and I play a hilly course, just have to mind how I park it like other carts.  My Clicgear seemed a little "beefier" but this one is easier to fold out and fold up and folds flat which works better in my Wrangler vs. the "cube".  It was the folding and laying flat that attracted me to it in the first place.  

3 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I have not.  Now, I use a lightweight bag, if that makes a difference to whatever tipping issue someone may have had, but it's very stable and I play a hilly course, just have to mind how I park it like other carts.  My Clicgear seemed a little "beefier" but this one is easier to fold out and fold up and folds flat which works better in my Wrangler vs. the "cube".  It was the folding and laying flat that attracted me to it in the first place.  

The flat fold vs cube is exactly why I am interested. Hard to decide between all of the different big max models. Thanks for the response!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:17 AM, e-man said:

Caddytek from Costco is excellent.  I’ve had mine for 5 years and put over 350 rounds on it.  Comes with all of the accessories that are extra on the clic gear at around 1/2 the price.  Built like a tank and easy to open and close.  I highly recommend it. 

I second this.  I have the Caddytek from Costco as well and I like it.  I previously had a Clicgear and it was a fine quality machine, but the Caddytek is just as nice for much less money.  My only complaint is the foot brake.  It works fine but my Clicgear had a hand brake and I really miss that feature.

I also did some customization on the Caddytek.  I added some velcro for hanging gloves to dry and I riveted some snaps into the frame to add a makeshift piece to hold the umbrella so I don't have to cram it in my bag.