2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour implementing lucrative new bonus structure to reward the "needle movers"

jdl

13 hours ago, m d g said:

Sort of...but it's mutual exploitation. Players are getting a couple of hundred thousand worth of education and a place to showcase their skills for the NFL.

But I also believe they should be paid. Or abolish college sports all together...I'm OK with that too.

On July 1, laws will go into effect in 10 states allowing college athletes to earn money via NIL, so they'll be getting paid soon enough. Not directly, but the amateur status is fading fast.

LOL at the reactions here to this.

You guys didn’t see this coming? I started to lose interest watching anything besides a Major once the Tour started pushing the Fed Ex points/playoffs down our throat every week. 
I will admit to being surprised they haven’t been able to elevate The Players to major status though.

As far as money grabs for elite players... the Players and WGC events have been around a while now also.

On a side note, I can see the Tour wanting to reward their stars, but what I’ll really enjoy most is the reactions here when the two Cobra poster boys, Bryson and Rickie run away with all this funny money. I can see Rory coming in 3rd just behind them.

The Bryson stuff here will go to another level once this happens. ***rubs hands together in anticipation***

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

Now knowing this has been going since Jan 1, I'm wondering about the Kevin Na/DJ incident, the Bryson incidents, the Billy Ho club slams and many others... These all STINK of trying to get social media engagement

You are going to lose focus on the golf with guys trying to increase their social media metrics. Going to have a guy out of contention do something silly just to get his google searches up

Yes golf will still be played, but we are going to be flooded with all of the different social teams trying to get their guy in this "top 10"

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* [Tensei Red 1k 6TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 14.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 7TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 17.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 8TX]

GEOM Golf Moe [Raw] [21, 29, 37, 45] [LA Golf 125X]

National Custom [Raw] [50, 54, 58] [LA Golf 125X]

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport [Black Star Finish]

Iomic Grips

@TheGolfBench builds my clubs

#PlayOrPerish #LeadTapeChronicles #SlowPlayersWillBeAskedToLeave

44 minutes ago, DavidCrockett said:

A post with zero substance, consisting of nothing more than a catch phrase made popular by/on social media, and that fails to articulate any argument/position whatsoever.  That's about what I'd expect from you, sport.  I suppose the irony is lost on you though.

Your original post sounds bitter that women are making money though social media, according to you, wearing very little. Who cares how they're making money? Obviously you do, but they're not hurting anybody. They're not hurting you. They found a revenue stream that pays bills. No reason to fault them, or call their character into question as you did. Your original post reeks of bitter, resentful discourse for some unknown reason.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Your original post sounds bitter that women are making money though social media, according to you, wearing very little. Who cares how they're making money? Obviously you do, but they're not hurting anybody. They're not hurting you. They found a revenue stream that pays bills. No reason to fault them, or call their character into question as you did. Your original post reeks of bitter, resentful discourse for some unknown reason.

It’s because tik tok is stupid and that’s what passes for culture now. It’s really sad 

9 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

It’s because tik tok is stupid and that’s what passes for culture now. It’s really sad 

Who says it passes for culture? That's a pretty absurd comment. But if you want to get into the details, there are countless societal beneficial aspects to these social media apps. There are many charities that use social media apps to further their endeavors. Many pet rescues use them. Which brings is back to the original issue, people aren't comfortable with how some people have a revenue stream using these social media apps and they're bitter about it for some reason.

21 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Who says it passes for culture? That's a pretty absurd comment. But if you want to get into the details, there are countless societal beneficial aspects to these social media apps. There are many charities that use social media apps to further their endeavors. Many pet rescues use them. Which brings is back to the original issue, people aren't comfortable with how some people have a revenue stream using these social media apps and they're bitter about it for some reason.

Your argument is all over the place. Knowing something is stupid isn’t being bitter or a “hater” it’s being an aware adult with an opinion. None of the “influencers” dancing in tik tok are running an animal rescue. They might pose with their dog but that’s about it 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

Your argument is all over the place. Knowing something is stupid isn’t being bitter or a “hater” it’s being an aware adult with an opinion. None of the “influencers” dancing in tik tok are running an animal rescue. They might pose with their dog but that’s about it 

He's white knighting, and secretly super mad that he too can't make money by posing in his underwear on insta. 

• Haha 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

This is a dead project from the start.

*What is a needle mover?

As we know, performance in golf is measured by the number of wins. We know how difficult is to win a tournament. It was surreal to witness Tiger Woods join the tour in 1996 and rack up wins after wins. That high level performance attracted non-golfers to the game. His performance was so overwhelming that people tuned in, went to see him play. I remember certain hosts on the golf channel saying that we need to "Tiger-proof" courses, " He was too long and too good". This led to the term needle-mover, in my humble opinion. We will hear this around local golf courses "Is TW playing next week? No? Naaahhh, I am not watching". Tournament organizers will watch the Friday afternoon players participation cut off time like hawks. "Breaking News!!! Tiger Woods is playing xyz tournament" Tickets sales Up, Concessions sales Up. Traffic in the neighborhood Up.... That is a needle mover.

Moving needle is organic and only based on performance

* Trap of Social media and office-consultant algorithm

The PGA tour is following a superficial trend outside of golf. A single query "Buy Followers" on Youtube and Google will generate millions of options. As said by other golfwrx members, players will outsource this new task and earn that prize. If the tour wants to generate traction, why not say " $40 million for the next payer who scores 57 during a round" This target will generate the buzz across the sports media and others. Players will be more motivated to perform, viewers will tune in every week, social media platform will relay that message forever. The PGA should incentive outstanding performance... and nothing else

* Certain players have already won

Certain players SAW the future YEARS ago: Commercials + visibility outweigh performance. I wish I can predict the future as well as they did.

Rack more sponsors and spend less time on golf (that's my biased view) is the key to success.

No, let's be serious here. Are we going to see the social media "influencer" receive sponsor exemption on the LPGA? You know who she is.

This is a failed initiative and I will blame non-golfer executive seating in the PGA hqtrs with no strategic planning.

Good Day!

Edited by Pat du Golf
TYPO
  • Like 3

Mizuno MP 37 3i-pw
Mizuno MP 64 3i -pw
Ping G25
Scotty Newport
Cleveland wedges
Prov1x

21 minutes ago, DavidCrockett said:

That's quite the strawman you've built and it appears to be the only arrow in your quiver.  Keep whacking away at it though and you might earn a participation trophy reserved for those who can't compete.

Or...you could try really, REALLY hard to understand what is a very simple point.

The comparison between Instagram and what the Tour is wanting to do was made to illustrate the shift in what is considered "valuable" and therefore monetized.  The Tour is financially incentivizing things that have nothing to do with golf, which will encourage attention-seeking behavior that many don't care to see draw attention away from the game we love.  (They think it will draw attention to the game.  I disagree.  I think it will draw attention to the Tour, but not necessarily to the actual game of golf.)

It is not an indictment on those who leverage the existing system/environment for financial gain, whether Instagram "models" or Tour players.  I don't blame Paige Spiranac for making money off of her cleavage.  I don't blame Bryson DeChambeau for pimping his brand.

You do realize that two things can exist simultaneously, right?

I can hold both of these opinions at the exact same time:

A.  I don't blame them for taking advantage of the opportunity that currently exists to make money via attention-seeking behavior.

B.  I dislike attention-seeking behavior and don't want to see it overshadow what I consider to be valuable, which is who is the most skillful player of golf that particular week.

None of the above is outrageous or hard to understand.

You don't have to explicitly state what you meant. Everyone knows what you meant. It was quite clear what you were trying to get it.

Who cares how the PGA Tour tries to garner more attention, especially its players? As much as people like yourself want it to continue along, droning and being boring, with constant decreasing viewership, and their one and only cash cow, Tiger Woods, probably never teeing it up again, you're asking for the death of golf on TV. 

You're completely irrelevant in terms of PGA Tour viewership. You never were important and you'll never be important. You're not going anywhere. Same goes for me. I'll always watch. In order for the PGA Tour to try and desperately hold onto the paltry viewership they currently have, they need to do something, and this is what they are attempting.

15 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

He's white knighting, and secretly super mad that he too can't make money by posing in his underwear on insta. 

I don't even have a personal "insta" account, but I know how social media works, and how to use it to a company's advantage. which translates into an individual's aspirations as well. It's quite clear this is far outside your expertise, so I'd quit while you're behind.

5 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

You're completely irrelevant in terms of PGA Tour viewership. You never were important and you'll never be important. You're not going anywhere. Same goes for me. I'll always watch. In order for the PGA Tour to try and desperately hold onto the paltry viewership they currently have, they need to do something, and this is what they are attempting.

Their paltry viewership is worth more than viewership of other sports because golfers (mostly the boomers you disparage) have more disposable income and buy more high-end products and services advertised by the TV sponsors.

• Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

9 minutes ago, Pat du Golf said:

This is dead project from the start.

*What is a needle mover?

As we know, performance in golf is measured by the number of wins. We know how difficult is to win a tournament. It was surreal to witness Tiger Woods join the tour in 1996 and rack up wins after wins. That high level performance attracted non-golfers to the game. His performance was so overwhelming that people tuned in, went to see him play. i remember certain hosts on the golf channel saying that we need to "Tiger-proof" courses, " He was too long and too good". This led to the term needle-mover, in my humble opinion. We will hear this "Is TW playing next week? Naaahhh, I am not watching". Tournament organizers will watch the Friday afternoon players participation like hawks "Breaking News!!! Tiger Woods is playing xyz tournament" Tickets sales Up, Concessions sales Up. Traffic in the neighborhood Up.... That is a needle mover.

Moving needle is organic and only based on performance

* Trap of Social media and office algorithm

The PGA tour is following a superficial trend outside of golf. A single query "Buy Followers" on Youtube and Google will generate thousand of options. As said by other golfwrx members, players will outsource this new tasks and earn that prize. If the tour wants to generate traction, why not say " $40 million for the next payer who scores 57 during a round" This target will generate the buzz across the sports media and others. Players will be motivated to perform, viewers will tune in every week, social media platform will relay that message forever. The PGA should incentive outstanding performance...nothing else

* Certain players have already won

With all due respect to certain players, commercials, visibility outweigh performance now. I wish I can predict the future as they did. Rack more sponsors and spend less time on golf (that's my biased view) is the key to success. No, let's be serious here. Are we going to see the social media "influencer" receive sponsor exemption on the LPGA? You know who she is.

This is a failed initiative and I will blame non-golfer executive seating in the PGA hqtrs with no strategic planning.

Good Day!

It's VERY easy to see who hired a follower firm or service. That's is a non-issue.

The only issue that can come from this, is if players do purposefully, attention grabbing whoring on the course. As someone pointed out Billy Ho may have been guilty of it. Now that I think about it, his 'It's the reason I'm on this side of the ropes and you're on that side of the ropes,' felt a bit too scripted.

This is probably also the reason there's more listening to players on the course than there has been in the past. Look at how often recently Spieth and Greller were on TV with no commentary and we get insight into what they're attempting. 

Just now, Soloman1 said:

Their paltry viewership is worth more than viewership of other sports because golfers (mostly the boomers you disparage) have more disposable income and buy more high-end products and services advertised by the TV sponsors.

No, it's not. The advertising rate is fractions on the dollar compared to other sports with the possible exception of hockey. As said above, the people that watch week in and week out, like me, are insignificant. They need to increase their viewership, and not rely on people who watch every week as the older portion of that group are expiring and they need to be replaced.

Not "disparaging' boomers. I play with them every week. Only snowflakes will feel slighted by it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john myrbch said:

LOL at the reactions here to this.

You guys didn’t see this coming? I started to lose interest watching anything besides a Major once the Tour started pushing the Fed Ex points/playoffs down our throat every week. 
I will admit to being surprised they haven’t been able to elevate The Players to major status though.

As far as money grabs for elite players... the Players and WGC events have been around a while now also.

On a side note, I can see the Tour wanting to reward their stars, but what I’ll really enjoy most is the reactions here when the two Cobra poster boys, Bryson and Rickie run away with all this funny money. I can see Rory coming in 3rd just behind them.

The Bryson stuff here will go to another level once this happens. ***rubs hands together in anticipation***

I actually didn't see it coming and i'm usually pretty on the ball LOL! 

I always figured the tour was comfortable letting sponsors compensate players for having personalities. It seems to be working OK, for example using guys like Rickie Fowler to illustrate this. Ian Poulter was another for a while. They made more money off the course than players who were better than them

This would seem to be totally unique in pro sports. I am very curious to see the implementation. Will they reveal the "secret sauce" of their calculations and make that public? If so that could clearly lead to some gaming of the system or at least very transparent behavior. If they don't reveal the calculations this could become a big insiders/crony club that pisses off a lot of people on the tour

As others have said, Some player should just start an IG page with his wife and have her pose in bikinis all day. I feel like poor Jason Dufner, he could've crushed this when he was with Amanda. 

Seems like there's so much room to anger and confuse people here. It just seems like a bad idea. And it's a lot of money right? I don't want to go check again but wasn't it like 50M dollars? I mean there's only 150~ people on the tour. You could make some serious extra guacamole

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

10 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

You don't have to explicitly state what you meant. Everyone knows what you meant. It was quite clear what you were trying to get it.

Nope.  You don't get to decide what my point of view is or what I meant, simply to make it align with the only rebuttal you can conjure up in your tiny head.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

I don't even have a personal "insta" account, but I know how social media works, and how to use it to a company's advantage. which translates into an individual's aspirations as well. It's quite clear this is far outside your expertise, so I'd quit while you're behind.

You must be fun at parties.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

6 minutes ago, tatertot said:

I think the 36 hole cut should be replaced by fan voting ... have the players "perform" Thursday and Friday and we, the fans, vote to see who plays the weekend. The more votes, the farther under par you are Saturday morning. You could win challenges the first 2 days that let you tee off from shorter tees or give you mulligans. Have a camera in the Port-A-John off each tee that the golfers (and caddies!) can record their "private" thoughts to us, the voting public. At the end of each tournament, we get to vote 1 player off tour, until only 1 remains at the end of the Fed Ex playoffs. Everyone time someone makes a hole in one, the fans get to vote back on someone who's been voted off. This thing writes itself.

To be fair this would likely garner a larger audience, even if only for a week or two. I know I would watch it. Now we just need 51 similar ideas for the rest of the schedule.

Edited by UAdamz

40 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

...the people that watch week in and week out, like me, are insignificant. They need to increase their viewership, and not rely on people who watch every week as the older portion of that group are expiring and they need to be replaced.

Not "disparaging' boomers. I play with them every week. Only snowflakes will feel slighted by it.

I think we all agree that you are insignificant.

The PGA Tour is a (supposed) non-profit, not a for-profit entity. It already gets $700 million/year for TV rights. Not a penny of that goes to charity. It also takes credit for the money individual tournaments give to support local charities. It doesn't come out of the Tour bank account.

If it's operating like a for-profit, it's time to revoke the 501(c)(3).

This program gives nothing of value to the spectators who are the ones who will end up paying for this.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

5 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I actually didn't see it coming and i'm usually pretty on the ball LOL! 

I always figured the tour was comfortable letting sponsors compensate players for having personalities. It seems to be working OK, for example using guys like Rickie Fowler to illustrate this. Ian Poulter was another for a while. They made more money off the course than players who were better than them

This would seem to be totally unique in pro sports. I am very curious to see the implementation. Will they reveal the "secret sauce" of their calculations and make that public? If so that could clearly lead to some gaming of the system or at least very transparent behavior. If they don't reveal the calculations this could become a big insiders/crony club that pisses off a lot of people on the tour

As others have said, Some player should just start an IG page with his wife and have her pose in bikinis all day. I feel like poor Jason Dufner, he could've crushed this when he was with Amanda. 

Seems like there's so much room to anger and confuse people here. It just seems like a bad idea. And it's a lot of money right? I don't want to go check again but wasn't it like 50M dollars? I mean there's only 150~ people on the tour. You could make some serious extra guacamole

These guys make so much money anyway, I stopped caring long ago whether they make any more, no matter how they do it.
At this point it’s all about the entertainment I get from stories like this... reading/seeing guys go nuts over multi millionaires like Rory, Rickie and especially Bryson getting “slush fund $$$$” DOES entertain me, so I’m good with this. 😜

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

39 minutes ago, tatertot said:

I think the 36 hole cut should be replaced by fan voting ... have the players "perform" Thursday and Friday and we, the fans, vote to see who plays the weekend. The more votes, the farther under par you are Saturday morning. You could win challenges the first 2 days that let you tee off from shorter tees or give you mulligans. Have a camera in the Port-A-John off each tee that the golfers (and caddies!) can record their "private" thoughts to us, the voting public. At the end of each tournament, we get to vote 1 player off tour, until only 1 remains at the end of the Fed Ex playoffs. Everyone time someone makes a hole in one, the fans get to vote back on someone who's been voted off. This thing writes itself.

When you think about it, what is the purpose of a cut anyway at the Tour level? They should’ve done away with the concept a long time ago.

If you’re a professional and qualify for an event, you should get paid for teeing it up, and also get to play all 4 days. 
Why is golf the only sport that sends half the players home midway through an event?
i’d rather follow a guy like Rory or Bryson playing poorly than some journeyman getting his first and only top 10.

Edited by john myrbch

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

20 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I think we all agree that you are insignificant.

The PGA Tour is a (supposed) non-profit, not a for-profit entity. It already gets $700 million/year for TV rights. Not a penny of that goes to charity. It also takes credit for the money individual tournaments give to support local charities. It doesn't come out of the Tour bank account.

If it's operating like a for-profit, it's time to revoke the 501(c)(3).

This program gives nothing of value to the spectators who are the ones who will end up paying for this.

I agree, booms. Take away their status. The NFL had it for decades and decades and should never have been given it in the first place.

This program isn't taking away money from any of the players who have absolutely no drawing power. The same insane purses will still be there. The same players who couldn't entertain a wet towel will still get their free checks for teeing it up in a WGC.

It is very simple. This is designed to bring in new viewers and reengage casual viewers, which is neither of us insignificant to the PGA Tour people we are.