2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour implementing lucrative new bonus structure to reward the "needle movers"

jdl

1 minute ago, bscinstnct said:

If engagement is measured by favorable vs unfavorable reaction 

Bryson gonna end up owing money

🤣

D79573F9-F1AB-4F7C-9ABE-F023E542FD4A.jpeg

The irony of this is the whole thing is tailor made to line the pockets of a player like  Bryson. He’s going to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of it because of all the people who dislike him.

Funny how that works, huh?

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

3 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

I agree, booms. Take away their status. The NFL had it for decades and decades and should never have been given it in the first place.

This program isn't taking away money from any of the players who have absolutely no drawing power. The same insane purses will still be there. The same players who couldn't entertain a wet towel will still get their free checks for teeing it up in a WGC.

It is very simple. This is designed to bring in new viewers and reengage casual viewers, which is neither of us insignificant to the PGA Tour people we are.

The problem with that analogy though is that the only negative for the NFL was having to disclose salaries to people like Goodell.  Most of the money flows to the franchises, where it then goes through corporate taxation processes.  If it was so valuable, why did they give it up so easily?

BUt the Pga Tour is a different animal.  There aren't franchises to spread the money out to.  Maybe a little goes to the events themselves, but ultimately, it just piles up in the coffers.  Just like collegiate athletic departments, you have to spend a certain amount to maintain the illusion of not being for profit, so you have salaries go through the roof, massive headquarters on prime real estate, and idiotic proposals like this one.  

I would need to go back and read up, but I seem to recall there being something about the pension plan, though that would be affected by a change in status.  Something about how if they got sued, in the current status, the assets would be at risk, but it's not an easy thing to change status.  I could be commingling some things about it, but in no way am I disagreeing that the status needs to be removed.

BUt this isn't going to draw new viewers.  Why would Proctor and Gamble and other companies slash their digital advertising budgets if it worked?

18 hours ago, PZero said:

This is really stupid.

"Their popularity in Google Search."

Google manipulates their searches based on agendas and this is well known. You think some vengeful person at Google wouldn't want to stick it to JT know it could impact him financially now? That's how they operate now.

I can tell there's a fair number of gullible, brainwashed people based on the "likes" to this misinformed post.  Keep drinkin the Kool-Aid 😂

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, golfortennis said:

The problem with that analogy though is that the only negative for the NFL was having to disclose salaries to people like Goodell.  Most of the money flows to the franchises, where it then goes through corporate taxation processes.  If it was so valuable, why did they give it up so easily?

BUt the Pga Tour is a different animal.  There aren't franchises to spread the money out to.  Maybe a little goes to the events themselves, but ultimately, it just piles up in the coffers.  Just like collegiate athletic departments, you have to spend a certain amount to maintain the illusion of not being for profit, so you have salaries go through the roof, massive headquarters on prime real estate, and idiotic proposals like this one.  

I would need to go back and read up, but I seem to recall there being something about the pension plan, though that would be affected by a change in status.  Something about how if they got sued, in the current status, the assets would be at risk, but it's not an easy thing to change status.  I could be commingling some things about it, but in no way am I disagreeing that the status needs to be removed.

BUt this isn't going to draw new viewers.  Why would Proctor and Gamble and other companies slash their digital advertising budgets if it worked?

In the end, the players will still have to play for them to increase viewership. Players like Slick Rick will have to perform at a higher level to reap the benefits. As of right now, he's an alternate this weekend. Not looking good for him.

Nicklaus is gonna walk to the first tee at Augusta next year for the ceremonial tee shot, bend over, light a fart, and pocket $40MM like a boss.

• Haha 2

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

4 minutes ago, Skhacker said:

Isn't this how sponsorship and equipment deals already work?  The needle movers are already capitalizing on their profile.  

But that's between a company and an individual.  This the tour itself(whose members are the players), deciding 10 guys are going to split $40 million based on.....  fuzzy math essentially.  No one has a problem with a company paying Rickie Fowler a boatload of money even if he can't get in to the majors.  It's a very different thing when the tour is doing it.

4 minutes ago, the bishop said:

Nicklaus is gonna walk to the first tee at Augusta next year for the ceremonial tee shot, bend over, light a fart, and pocket $40MM like a boss.

"That's funny.  Nicklaus would never do something like that. Which means it's available to me."

-Gary Player, probably.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pinky5 said:

I definitely don't think anyone thinks these guys are underpaid. This is dumb

I don't think this is intended to benefit the players, so to speak --It's to encourage the players to be more interesting, which makes the tour more popular.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

On 4/20/2021 at 11:16 AM, MtlJeff said:

While i think that having likable and social athletes is actually necessary to having a popular sport....Something this forced seems just as likely to backfire. 

They might as well just let them cut promos , have entrance music and do interviews with "mean gene" in between holes. 

Performance bonuses have not backfired in the corporate world.  But they draw a different personality. 

Given all the money tour guys make for lack luster and -0- performance, the tour needs to go in the opposite direction.  The problem is, tour players are NOT out there to become a GOAT or make huge bucks, they are just happy playing golf for a living. 

Adding big money bonuses for something that doesn't come natural to a person will not have the desired effect.  The guy that's living a good life on 200-400k per year isn't going to suddenly change his personality to what's needed to make 1M+ a year.   I've heard it said in executive meetings regarding staff issues, "you can't make a silk purse out of sows ear" regardless of money. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

1 minute ago, Pepperturbo said:

Performance bonuses have not backfired in the corporate world.  But they draw a different personality. 

Given all the money tour guys make for lack luster and -0- performance, the tour needs to go in the opposite direction.  The problem is, tour players are NOT out there to become a GOAT or make huge bucks, they just happy playing golf for a living.  Adding big money bonuses for something that doesn't come natural to people will not have the desired effect.  The guy that's living a good life on 200k per year isn't going to suddenly change his personality to what's needed to make 1M+ a year.   I've heard it said in executive meetings regarding staff issues, "you can't make a silk purse out of sows ear" regardless of money. 

I think though (and you would likely agree?) that most performance bonuses in the corporate world are more directly tied to revenue. Like to where you can pretty much draw a direct line

Being popular on social media and google search scores is a bit murkier. It's really interesting that they made this public, and the behavior it might inspire. 

In the corporate speak, this seems like more of a "soft" metric

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

17 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

The charity comes out of the proceeds from individual tournaments, not from the players or tour itself.

Not a penny comes from the $700 million+/year TV contract, TPC properties and licensing, etc.

It's time for the Tour to give up the fake tax-exempt status and be like all of the other professional sports. If you think 'so what?" then you're acting like for-profit entity.

The PGA Tour is not like other professional sports.  Its not made up of franchises who form a league.  It doesn't have competitors who are unionized...every player on the PGA Tour is an independent contractor.  Other than to play a certain amount of events to keep your membership card, there is no set rules or regulations for its competitors to play or not play - players are free to come and go as they please and set a schedule they want.  To compare it to MLB or NFL is just like apples to oranges, unless you expect every tournament to become a for-profit entity on its own - which will certainly mean that no less than a third of the current schedule would be eliminated tomorrow.

18 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

When you don't pay taxes, it's really easy to be charitable. Most Americans do both, but the Tour doesn't. How's that new $65 million headquarters looking? 

What, so you're saying if the PGA Tour ditched a tax-exempt status and made each tournament be for-profit and pay taxes just like NFL franchises, that suddenly it would be okay?  Come on.  Unless you think big tournaments like the Memorial will pitch in a few bucks to the John Deere Classic and make it solvent through revenue sharing just like the other professional franchise sports do.

I could care less about the "headquarters" cost.  The NFL and MLB headquarters are on Park Avenue, which isn't exactly cheap real estate.  The NBA is on 5th Avenue.   I'd be willing to bet all three of those office spaces are well over $65 million each.

Edited by JaNelson38

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I can tell there's a fair number of gullible, brainwashed people based on the "likes" to this misinformed post.  Keep drinkin the Kool-Aid 😂

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-google-interferes-with-its-search-algorithms-and-changes-your-results-11573823753

We can cite it from NYT too if that's more your news cycle. Hope this helps "inform" the misinformed. Been well documented 

• Like 2

Calling these "performance bonuses" is a stretch, considering only 1 of the 6 metrics listed on page 1 of the thread has anything to do with the core competency of playing golf.

The other 5 are measures of how much attention a player can draw to himself/the Tour through non-golf means.  Absent a really strong set of guardrails, that's a recipe for reality TV-type behavior being introduced into what has traditionally been a gentlemen's game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DFS PFD said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-google-interferes-with-its-search-algorithms-and-changes-your-results-11573823753

We can cite it from NYT too if that's more your news cycle. Hope this helps "inform" the misinformed. Been well documented 

Policies and procedures are different from "agenda." No auto fill for controversial key words. But we know what this guy meant by "agenda"... A forbidden topic on WRX. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, DavidCrockett said:

Calling these "performance bonuses" is a stretch, considering only 1 of the 6 metrics listed on page 1 of the thread has anything to do with the core competency of playing golf.

The other 5 are measures of how much attention a player can draw to himself/the Tour through non-golf means.  Absent a really strong set of guardrails, that's a recipe for reality TV-type behavior being introduced into what has traditionally been a gentlemen's game. 

8MM is bank even to these guys. 

You’ll have players with the resources using consultants (SEO, content marketers, even professional video producers) to get them at the top of the list. 

Did the PGA Tour learn nothing from the European Super League debacle?

• Thanks 1

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

4 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I don’t know man. I think google and YouTube are sending us what they want us to read/hear.  It’s certainly not all aligning with my searches or subscriptions .  That’s all I can say on that I think. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t know man. I think google and YouTube are sending us what they want us to read/hear.  It’s certainly not all aligning with my searches or subscriptions .  That’s all I can say on that I think. 

Google and YouTube are sending you ALOT of what people are paying them to.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 hour ago, DFS PFD said:

You should actually read the article. But yes, we are already borderline, so we'll end it here. 

Agreed. I've read some of the studies. I've also tested it myself which I believe is the most valuable kind of research. There are some distinct nuances that need to be taken in proper context but I can't explain those here without getting into forbidden details. But I encourage others to do the same with everything.  To bring this back to the person I originally responded to, in the context of what he was saying, I say hogwash. 

Also for the record this whole "needle mover" scale could be problematic.  Media views, clicks, social media following etc sadly often does not mean someone is popular because they are a good or likable person.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

When the top NFL quarterbacks make $30-40M per year, I'd say that the top golfer are grossly underpaid. Golf is a big time sport in the age of Covid.

The NFL player has a short shelf life and is often  busted up each season

Golfers can play a long time with few injuries