2021 Walker Cup @ Seminole

mjbfyb

2 hours ago, elwhippy said:

Should be a wholesale slaughter a la Los Angeles. I am hoping to see more of the course and work out why it is seen as a masterpiece. Local Lad playing for GB&I so rooting for him as I remember him as a very fiery junior.

Take my word for it, whatever expectations you have for the course dial it way way back. It won’t come across well on television, which is a bummer because it is a fantastic golf course in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Cannot see anything but a thumping coming in the direction of GB&I.

On paper a much weaker team combined with a general lack of competitive golf and the loss of their top ranked player in Sandy Scott fills me with absolutely no confidence at all. If the US don’t romp it then something has gone seriously wrong from their end.

Coverage with in the UK, Sky Sports seems to be showing it live as well with coverage beginning at 3pm on Saturday which is a big improvement from the past number of years where it has been patchy at best, non-existent at worst.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Walker Cup is great because you get to see tomorrow’s stars.  I marshaled at LACC and it was a real good time - despite having to wear long pants!

However, as much as I enjoy seeing these classic courses, they are some of the most exclusionary and elitist places on the planet.  I live a few miles north of LACC, and have only met a couple members in 30 years in LA.  I know dozens at the other big clubs.  

I don’t think they should play national, USGA events on a course where 99.9% of the public could never play.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, manku said:

Walker Cup is great because you get to see tomorrow’s stars.  I marshaled at LACC and it was a real good time - despite having to wear long pants!

However, as much as I enjoy seeing these classic courses, they are some of the most exclusionary and elitist places on the planet.  I live a few miles north of LACC, and have only met a couple members in 30 years in LA.  I know dozens at the other big clubs.  

I don’t think they should play national, USGA events on a course where 99.9% of the public could never play.  

Why not?  I don’t want to see them all there, but golf should be an aspirational game. Exclusive clubs are a big part of the game, we can all aspire to play them, if participating in an event like this is the reward for hard work and success I don’t see any issue with that. 

14 minutes ago, manku said:

I actually don't have a problem with the lack of diversity...it's a private club, and they can choose whoever they want to join or exclude.  I would never want that right taken away.

The problem is these clubs (Cypress, National, SFGC, Maidstone...) are not about money or professional success...they're about who you know, where you come from, your education, your career (no entertainment at LACC - which also works out to being anti-Jewish), and your religion.  Having a pile of cash, good manners and reputation means little.

But these clubs are closed organizations, for the most part.  Which, I think most of us can agree, goes against the "opportunity" of being an American.  And the Walker Cup represents the USA.

Respectable enough, well thought out. 

Ever since my club hosted the Walker Cup in 2011; I have massively followed it, going to be some weekend ahead.

I watch on Sky Sports, even although I am in the US, as kept my UK Tv subscription; they have full coverage on a different channel to the EuroPean tour and PGA Tour coverage. 

Quail Hollow is my favourite course to watch in America too so annoying I will have to choose or flick!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

57 minutes ago, manku said:

I actually don't have a problem with the lack of diversity...it's a private club, and they can choose whoever they want to join or exclude.  I would never want that right taken away.

The problem is these clubs (Cypress, National, SFGC, Maidstone...) are not about money or professional success...they're about who you know, where you come from, your education, your career (no entertainment at LACC - which also works out to being anti-Jewish), and your religion.  Having a pile of cash, good manners and reputation means little.

But these clubs are closed organizations, for the most part.  Which, I think most of us can agree, goes against the "opportunity" of being an American.  And the Walker Cup represents the USA.

This reminds me, we need a thread on the ethnicity of famous country clubs. I can assure you, Quaker Ridge doesn't allow any O'Connors or Olafsons in their membership.

16 hours ago, manku said:

You’ve probably met more, but the members just don’t say anything. There’s “big” clubs, Oakmont, Merion, Bears Club, Medinah etc. Then there’s Seminole, Chicago GC, Jupiter Island, Fisher’s Island, Augusta where you can’t just join, you’re invited. And to be a member of those clubs comes with a certain understanding that you’re better than talking about it.

As a follow up to this I worked a club like that, and remember a time I was reprimanded for sharing a picture with the that named the club. There was a stupid intense storm, gusty winds, heavy rain and hail that spun up quickly and slammed us! Hail was everywhere (in south Florida mind you) I happened to be friendly with someone from the local news station and I shared a picture with them of the hail completely covering the fairways. He asked if they could post the picture on their weather updates I said yes, and within five minutes of it I had a phone call from a board member basically saying, “don’t mind you sharing pictures but do not ever name where it is.” 

Edited by BNGL

17 hours ago, manku said:

Where does it stop then? Are any private clubs ok in your eyes or are just the very top ones too exclusionary for some?

Note, I deleted the rest but why are some so concerned with groups having their own “club”?  Does everyone need to be allowed to go there for it to be fair?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

57 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Where does it stop then? Are any private clubs ok in your eyes or are just the very top ones too exclusionary for some?

Note, I deleted the rest but why are some so concerned with groups having their own “club”?  Does everyone need to be allowed to go there for it to be fair?

It’s just something I’d like to see happen.  Don’t really lose any sleep over it.  

If people are concerned with growing the game, showcasing courses that you’ll never ever be able to play can’t help their cause.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, manku said:

It’s just something I’d like to see happen.  Don’t really lose any sleep over it.  

If people are concerned with growing the game, showcasing courses that you’ll never ever be able to play can’t help their cause.  

Of course the flip side is it’s hard to grow the game running an event on a rundown muni.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

19 hours ago, manku said:

at least you have met a few . I too grew up here in SoCal and was even in the golf business and can honestly say I have never met anyone that would admit they are a member at LACC...I did have a member at Bel Air try and give me his bag once in the parking lot because he thought I was a caddie at the club...

13 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

at least you have met a few . I too grew up here in SoCal and was even in the golf business and can honestly say I have never met anyone that would admit they are a member at LACC...I did have a member at Bel Air try and give me his bag once in the parking lot because he thought I was a caddie at the club...

First member I met was this guy who was worked with one of Michael Milkens top lieutenants at Drexel.   This was circa 1993.  I did some temp work through an agency for him, and thumbed through the membership book.  Only names I recognized were Reagan and Couples.  

A year later the guy went to prison for financial fraud.   

But of course LACC only has great guys!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

My opinion of the course is changing. The SKY TV coverage is showing much more of the elevation changes and the bunkering is amazing. The greens are a different matter. The 17th is a joke. Hit a solid shot into middle of 190 yard par 3 and end up in a deep bunker. Unfair. Lord knows what the members shoot. 

They’re all carrying it to far playing the wrong shot. Greens are firm, but they’re firm for the right shot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elwhippy said:

My opinion of the course is changing. The SKY TV coverage is showing much more of the elevation changes and the bunkering is amazing. The greens are a different matter. The 17th is a joke. Hit a solid shot into middle of 190 yard par 3 and end up in a deep bunker. Unfair. Lord knows what the members shoot. 

I don't know if I would ever finish a round with the runoff on these greens. Brutal. 

• Like 2

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag