Berwick or Kingsbarns

To me this is like Ginger or Mary-Ann. Both are fantastic courses and I've been lucky enough to play both twice. My only tidbit of help is this, KB might be a slightly better "golf course", but NB is one of the most fun courses I've ever played.

• Like 1

PXG Gen2 10.5 Ventus 6S
Epic 3 wood 15 degree Hzurdus S
Mizzy CLK hybrid
Mizzy JPX 919 forged
Miura 55 & 59 degree
Evnroll ER6

Both great as mentioned.   They are in different areas so not sure if that matters or ok with a more lengthy drive depending on where you are staying.  One a modern links and one older but two great ones.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, AustinTXRealtor said:

Also playing Carnoustie and hopefully the Old course (fingers crossed)

Kingsbarns is really good, however it comes at a premium price. I would recommend it at least once if your budget allows. Plus it’s right there in St. Andrews so less travel time. Not sure where you’re planning to stay, but St. Andrews is more convenient to Carnoustie than Berwick is.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

North Berwick all day long. Nothing against Kingsbarns but let me put it this way….the Old Course is vintage Rolling Stones in their heyday. Carnoustie is like going to see Cream before they broke up the first time. North Berwick is like going to see Zeppelin in the early 70’s. Kingsbarns looks like a Crosby Stills Nash and Young concert but the girls from Pitch Perfect come out and break into Almost Cut My Hair. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raz1374 said:

North Berwick all day long. Nothing against Kingsbarns but let me put it this way….the Old Course is vintage Rolling Stones in their heyday. Carnoustie is like going to see Cream before they broke up the first time. North Berwick is like going to see Zeppelin in the early 70’s. Kingsbarns looks like a Crosby Stills Nash and Young concert but the girls from Pitch Perfect come out and break into Almost Cut My Hair. 

In that world I would think North Berwick is more Donovan than Led Zep.

Edited by Chanceman
My bad
  • Haha 2

On 7/15/2021 at 7:06 PM, Raz1374 said:

this ... you want something that stays with you forever? ... berwick, all day, twice if possible ... you want a very good 80s band that had a few hits and a big tour? ... kb ... 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 12:57 PM, thecumbrian said:

Why play a modern course designed for the overseas market when you can play one of the classic courses in the British Isles?

Absolute no brainer especially with the ripoff price of Kingsbarns.

Unfortunately North Berwick has got eye wateringly expensive as well. I'd play Goswick for a third of the price

6 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Unfortunately North Berwick has got eye wateringly expensive as well. I'd play Goswick for a third of the price

Goswick is £90, and a long way from St. Andrews. He could play Craighead at Crail for £60. But first time I’ve looked at Goswick, and I will def play it on my next trip over.

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

For sure it must be not far off 2.5 hours between Goswick and St Andrews. If it were me, unless I was heading into England anyway, I would likely stick to the many great choices in Fife. Elie comes immediately to mind. Crail is good. The New is a great course. Hell, I may even consider Gleneagles. Many people make the mistake of skipping Gleneagles because its inland. Not a good reason to do so. The Kings is one of the best courses in GB&I. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Goswick is £90, and a long way from St. Andrews. He could play Craighead at Crail for £60. But first time I’ve looked at Goswick, and I will def play it on my next trip over.

As you know North Berwick is a long way from SA, Goswick is less than an hour further on.. but if its £90 now thats a lot, played it for £50 three years ago and it was an Open final qualifier then. Jesus.

7 hours ago, El Gringo said:

For sure it must be not far off 2.5 hours between Goswick and St Andrews. If it were me, unless I was heading into England anyway, I would likely stick to the many great choices in Fife. Elie comes immediately to mind. Crail is good. The New is a great course. Hell, I may even consider Gleneagles. Many people make the mistake of skipping Gleneagles because its inland. Not a good reason to do so. The Kings is one of the best courses in GB&I. 

Kings is the best of the 3, shorter but lovely with so much character. The PGA I enjoy too; Long and American like. Queens is a bit too short for my liking.

If you can afford it Gleneagles is an amazing place for a few days but its very expensive. If I was coming from abroad I would do a lot of courses ahead of it(all links).

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

6 hours ago, Chanceman said:

At Gleneagles, just don’t rock up to the front door of the hotel in your cart and smelly golf gear and expect the braided and becapped doormen to welcome you. Just admire the Bentleys and Rolls Royces as you pass through the car park. I know, I tried. Very nice golf courses though.

They don't mind if you are staying there.

They do the best Cesar's outside of Canada according to my dad. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

For me, it would be Kingsbarns. More time in and around St Andrews is what I would be looking for and Kingsbarns plays into that better. It is a crazy price but worth it for a one off.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Only have played North Berwick and it was fantastic!  I’m sure Kingsbarn would be fantastic as well. 

I would offer a suggestion to look at the decision from a different angle as I think from a golf perspective you can’t lose!

How much of Scotland do you want to see and explore? How much time do you have to travel? If you have the time and desire, NB is a great town and I think you would enjoy your time in the town. SA is also great! I would spend the extra time to take in NB if that interests you and you have the time. If not, just stay in SA and play Kingsbarn. 

Goswick too far away?

What if you could get a deal to play Goswick AND Muirfield, or Goswick AND Dumbarnie?

https://www.goswickgolfclub.com/special-offers/

Edited by Pete O'Tube

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

Man, this is tough. I played both last time I went and it is so hard to choose. Very different. North Berwick may have been the "coolest" place I have ever played. The vibe there is pretty impossible to beat. I am leaning NB, but you can't go wrong. NB was also the first course I ever played in Scotland so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. It is true Scottish golf, while KB may be a little American I guess. 

Edited by mci711

• 3 weeks later...

I'd personally also go with North Berwick, just a better fun golf course and much more authentic. KB is nice but not worth the green fee and has more than a few average holes plus I just don't like the last at all. (in my opinion - other can and will disagree)

KB is a fantastic experience and hospitality is great but I just felt more at home in North Berwick.

Edited by thecraw
update

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

I have played both and KB gets a bad rap in the architecture circles as it was a manufactured site by Kyle Phillips. However I very much enjoyed the challenge there. I had the best 4 hole stretch of my life with 3 birdies from 8-11. After taking at least a double (maybe triple) on hole 7.

On 8 almost had a hole in one rolled by the cup with a far left pin placement (actually pulled it as I was aiming middle of green). 9 had about 140 wedge to a foot behind the hole (blind shot so I didn't see it land). 10 I just missed a 15 footer that missed on the low side to a front middle pin. 11 is a longer par 4 and I hit a fade (ok slice) into the green to about 10 feet and made that putt. Wonderful stretch and no one could possibly care but me.😃

Now I just looked up the price and in 2022 it is 346 pounds plus 55 caddie. Throw in another 20 tip and you are at 75 pounds for caddie and 421 pounds! That is close to $600 USD and you aren't playing Pebble Beach.

North Berwick

However in this discussion North Berwick is probably the funnest course I have played. It is so old school unlike any course you could find in the USA. Pit, Gate, Redan, etc. Also has 3 relatively short par 5's clustered together from 8-11. Stretch from 13-16 is just one of the best in golf. I put NB as my funnest course I have played. It isn't traditional in any sense of the word. Just looked up the visitor fee and it is 175 pounds so half of KB.

Redan and weather

On the Redan I was overthinking that hole. It was highly anticipated. I had a great caddie named Pat back in 2018 when I played. Old gentlemen about 70 and had dockers and a cotton collared shirt that's it. No fancy gear or rain/wind protection. I had my gore-Tex stuff on and he is making me feel like a wimp as we are playing the course as it was a average wind (maybe 15-20) that day and scattered showers. We had 2-3 stints of it coming down lightly but at an angle.

It was playing down cross wind and down slightly right/left and playing the blue tees, he said hit something 155 yards over the middle of the bunker on the right. Pat left to go up to the green and spot our shots. The pin was back left. I was thinking take an 8 iron and then didn't want to be over so changed to a 9 which wasn't enough at all. I ended up being short left of the front bunker and had a pitch that rolled off back left. pitched up and 2 putted for a double! Should have trusted Pat more.

Playing partner and Caddie Pat

Also I learned that the Arthur Blank family, has a big presence at NB. Not sure why, but Arthur ended up building a house around the course I was told and spends quite a bit of the summer and his family does also there. I was a single and went off alone with Pat until hole 4-5 when we caught up to the single ahead and grouped up with a women in her 40's and her teen son Weston who was 14 I think. The lady  didn't play golf, but was just walking. Weston as it turned out was kind of a brat and pouting on his shots and waiting for greens to clear on par 4's which was like....... you can hit Bubba!  Pat chastised the kid on one hole for not keeping up the pace as he wanted to wait until there was like 350 yards of fairway on one of the par 5's. Pat wasn't his caddie so he wasn't going to be affected by any tip, the caddie Weston had wasn't going to say much as it appeared he was intimidated. Good on Pat.

Also memorable was I drove 18 with my 4 wood to pin high 12-15 feet away and missed the eagle!

You could live without KB, but you can't find another North Berwick anywhere and can't wait to bring my dad and brother there. It is so quirky and fun.

3 hours ago, Schley said:

I have played both and KB gets a bad rap in the architecture circles as it was a manufactured site by Kyle Phillips. However I very much enjoyed the challenge there. I had the best 4 hole stretch of my life with 3 birdies from 8-11. After taking at least a double (maybe triple) on hole 7.

On 8 almost had a hole in one rolled by the cup with a far left pin placement (actually pulled it as I was aiming middle of green). 9 had about 140 wedge to a foot behind the hole (blind shot so I didn't see it land). 10 I just missed a 15 footer that missed on the low side to a front middle pin. 11 is a longer par 4 and I hit a fade (ok slice) into the green to about 10 feet and made that putt. Wonderful stretch and no one could possibly care but me.😃

Now I just looked up the price and in 2022 it is 346 pounds plus 55 caddie. Throw in another 20 tip and you are at 75 pounds for caddie and 421 pounds! That is close to $600 USD and you aren't playing Pebble Beach.

North Berwick

However in this discussion North Berwick is probably the funnest course I have played. It is so old school unlike any course you could find in the USA. Pit, Gate, Redan, etc. Also has 3 relatively short par 5's clustered together from 8-11. Stretch from 13-16 is just one of the best in golf. I put NB as my funnest course I have played. It isn't traditional in any sense of the word. Just looked up the visitor fee and it is 175 pounds so half of KB.

Redan and weather

On the Redan I was overthinking that hole. It was highly anticipated. I had a great caddie named Pat back in 2018 when I played. Old gentlemen about 70 and had dockers and a cotton collared shirt that's it. No fancy gear or rain/wind protection. I had my gore-Tex stuff on and he is making me feel like a wimp as we are playing the course as it was a average wind (maybe 15-20) that day and scattered showers. We had 2-3 stints of it coming down lightly but at an angle.

It was playing down cross wind and down slightly right/left and playing the blue tees, he said hit something 155 yards over the middle of the bunker on the right. Pat left to go up to the green and spot our shots. The pin was back left. I was thinking take an 8 iron and then didn't want to be over so changed to a 9 which wasn't enough at all. I ended up being short left of the front bunker and had a pitch that rolled off back left. pitched up and 2 putted for a double! Should have trusted Pat more.

Playing partner and Caddie Pat

Also I learned that the Arthur Blank family, has a big presence at NB. Not sure why, but Arthur ended up building a house around the course I was told and spends quite a bit of the summer and his family does also there. I was a single and went off alone with Pat until hole 4-5 when we caught up to the single ahead and grouped up with a women in her 40's and her teen son Weston who was 14 I think. The lady  didn't play golf, but was just walking. Weston as it turned out was kind of a brat and pouting on his shots and waiting for greens to clear on par 4's which was like....... you can hit Bubba!  Pat chastised the kid on one hole for not keeping up the pace as he wanted to wait until there was like 350 yards of fairway on one of the par 5's. Pat wasn't his caddie so he wasn't going to be affected by any tip, the caddie Weston had wasn't going to say much as it appeared he was intimidated. Good on Pat.

Also memorable was I drove 18 with my 4 wood to pin high 12-15 feet away and missed the eagle!

You could live without KB, but you can't find another North Berwick anywhere and can't wait to bring my dad and brother there. It is so quirky and fun.

Rookie mistake 😎. The miss on the Redan is long. Hard to take more than a 4 from back there. When in doubt, take the extra club on Redan.

We spent some time there last year taking a few clubs too much to see if the tee shot would bounce off the wall onto the green. It didn't work 🙂