2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Pinehurst Membership?

caniac6

I think (could be wrong) , based on talking to a few folks who are members, that members either have blocked out time blocks or something like they rotate courses available for member play only daily....i.e. #3 is only member play (no outside /resort play), # 5 is only member play on Wed,,,etc.  This could all be off, but just what I've gathered.  Call them up, they will tell you.  

• Like 2

i won't be retiring there, but given the quality and significance of the course(s), it would be very interesting to know the particulars of property membership/statistics on how many/etc that are associated with the 'quasi' membership there, and access to courses ... #2 is enough in and of itself, but #4 and a few of the others is/are very good and certainly worth making a 'home' base if you've the income ... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tiderider said:

i won't be retiring there, but given the quality and significance of the course(s), it would be very interesting to know the particulars of property membership/statistics on how many/etc that are associated with the 'quasi' membership there, and access to courses ... #2 is enough in and of itself, but #4 and a few of the others is/are very good and certainly worth making a 'home' base if you've the income ... 

I kind of have a feeling that with the USGA moving part of their operation there, and designating as a home course for the US Open, prices and crowds are going to go up.

21 hours ago, hangontight said:

I think (could be wrong) , based on talking to a few folks who are members, that members either have blocked out time blocks or something like they rotate courses available for member play only daily....i.e. #3 is only member play (no outside /resort play), # 5 is only member play on Wed,,,etc.  This could all be off, but just what I've gathered.  Call them up, they will tell you.  

When I played number 2 last summer I originally had an 11:00 something tee time and asked about moving it earlier and was told they released member times for public booking sometime the day before.  I was able to change my time the day before to 7:30ish.  Some members went out before us...

According to the membership section on their website it is by invitation only. It doesn't sound difficult to get an "invitation", but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Invitations for membership are either extended to new property owners of a property with an existing transferable membership or prospective non-transferable members may have a current club Member within their personal social network serve as a sponsor to begin the membership invitation process.

For those new to the community who do not know any Members of the Club, our Membership Director can facilitate a tour of the Club, help identify a potential Member Sponsor and an invitation can be extended on their behalf.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:05 PM, brownm said:

I've been a member and property owner in Pinehurst for 6 years. Membership comes in a few different flavors, and I have the level that allows play on all 9 courses plus the Cradle. Dues are reasonable and have increased only minimally over 6 years. At my level of membership I can walk and play all the courses for no additional fee, with the exception of a "trail fee" on #2 from April thru October (cart fee even if you walk).

Tee times are bookable online 7 days out for the most part, with some 30 day times reserved for members bringing guests. It is true that not all courses have times available for members each day, but it is unusual for there to be more than 1 to 2 days a week where a course is unavailable. And if there are resort times unused, they are released to the members within 48 hours (right now that requires a phone call to book, but soon the app will allow online booking for those too).

I will be retiring there in a few years and have zero concerns about tee time availability. It is true that Pinehurst is busy, and at times you can forget that that is a good thing. There are constant improvements when the money is rolling in, though. Conditioning on all 9 courses is excellent, and the idea that you get to play 2 world class courses in #2 & #4 on a regular basis is mind boggling. The membership also has access to a great Pool complex next to the clubhouse, there is Lake Pinehurst a short drive away with a beach and dock area, and there are multiple clubhouse restaurants for members only (as well as Payne's Pub overlooking the 18th green of #2 - right next to The Deuce).

Off season it is extremely easy to play any course you want any day you want, since there are fewer outings and tournaments. Nothing is better than going out on #2 on a 60 degree December day - you feel like you stole one on those days!

Do they allow members to use push carts and electric walking carts? What is the area like for someone that doesn't golf?

3 hours ago, brownm said:

The entire resort allows push carts. Members may buy push carts or the electric trolleys on an approved list from the club and use them. There are annual trolley programs that mean you can use your own trolley for no additional fee (as well as avoid paying any of the trail fees on #2), or you can use your own trolley for around 10 bucks a round if you don't sign up for the program (though the trolley must be "approved" each year to use on the course).

My wife and kids do not play golf, but love the area.  At the resort, tennis, lawn bowling, and croquet are big. There is also a great member pool complex with 2 pools - family pool with a slide and an adult pool for over 16. Lake Pinehurst is recently renovated and a lot of fun , especially for events where there are cookouts and lakeside movies or music.

The entire area of Pinehurst-Southern Pines-Aberdeen has a lot of locally owned shops and restaurants - people tend to try and shop locally, and with a pretty steady population all year round we haven't noticed a ton of turnover for places we knew to be good (though the pandemic did accelerate the closing of a lot of the less popular restaurants and shops). While there are a few areas with big box stores, the planning groups for the towns really preserves the small town feel within each location (the heavy development goes on in the areas between the downtowns). RDU is a little over an hour away. 

Keep in mind, I've been lucky enough to have a place here since my early 40s, and we have used our trips as mini vacations. I won't be a full time resident until I'm retired. I think having the vacation or retired mentality while in Pinehurst fits perfectly with the vibe. While I know a lot of people who have raised their family in the area, it may have been a little too quaint and small for my kids through their teen years, but you never know. The population is starting to skew a little younger, especially within the club - definitely a good thing for the long term prospects. I can't wait to be a full time resident and complete "golf bum" at the resort.

Thanks for all the great information. My wife and I are going to plan a trip.

There are a number of options in Pinehurst, not just the resort...good luck figuring it out in one trip...

Private Courses/Clubs

CCNC - 2 outstanding courses - Gated - Pool/Tennis/Pickleball - spectacular

Forest Creek - Gated - 2 Courses - Pool - Best locker room in USA

Pinewild - Gated - 2 Courses + Par 3 - Pools and Tennis

Resort w/membership

Pinehurst - 9 Courses - and all listed above

Mid Pines/Pine Needles/Southern Pines GC - 3 courses/Pool/Fitness/Tennis

Talamore/Mid South - 2 courses Pool/Tennis -  Mid South Gated

Disclosure - I belong to Mid Pines/Pine Needles/SPGC -- love the range options at Pine Needles - Courses are outstanding - live 2 miles away...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allparz said:

There are a number of options in Pinehurst, not just the resort...good luck figuring it out in one trip...

Private Courses/Clubs

CCNC - 2 outstanding courses - Gated - Pool/Tennis/Pickleball - spectacular

Forest Creek - Gated - 2 Courses - Pool - Best locker room in USA

Pinewild - Gated - 2 Courses + Par 3 - Pools and Tennis

Resort w/membership

Pinehurst - 9 Courses - and all listed above

Mid Pines/Pine Needles/Southern Pines GC - 3 courses/Pool/Fitness/Tennis

Talamore/Mid South - 2 courses Pool/Tennis -  Mid South Gated

Disclosure - I belong to Mid Pines/Pine Needles/SPGC -- love the range options at Pine Needles - Courses are outstanding - live 2 miles away...

I called Mid Pines, but haven't heard back. How hard is it for members to get on a course, and do they allow walkers to use push carts and electric trolleys? I really like the area, but my wife does not play, and I'm afraid she wouldn't have much to do. We are coming for a visit, but I think it would be a longshot moving there.

20 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I called Mid Pines, but haven't heard back. How hard is it for members to get on a course, and do they allow walkers to use push carts and electric trolleys? I really like the area, but my wife does not play, and I'm afraid she wouldn't have much to do. We are coming for a visit, but I think it would be a longshot moving there.

I know that at MidPines, they have 3-wheel trolleys for guests to use.  No charge, but no "rebate" for not using a buggy.  I'd bet that members could do as they choose, but you'd need to make certain for yourself.

I own a condo at Talamore, and am an "out of town" member at MidSouth/Talamore in order to have my condo in the rental pool there.  I haven't explored full membership options there yet, but my wife and I may be relocating to the area in the next couple of years.  From my experience with the members there, people have generally come from elsewhere, so are very welcoming to new transplants.  I can't help with the non-golf activities for your wife, my wife plays as much or more as I do, so Pinehurst/Southern Pines is a really attractive retirement destination for us.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I really like the area, but my wife does not play, and I'm afraid she wouldn't have much to do.

We looked at Pinehurst some years ago. Though both of us play golf . . . we don't play all day every day. Our conclusion was that there isn't much else to do around there. Asheville, on the other hand has good enough golf, better weather and plenty of other things to do. Ten years and counting. 🙂

• Like 2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:05 PM, brownm said:

I've been a member and property owner in Pinehurst for 6 years. Membership comes in a few different flavors, and I have the level that allows play on all 9 courses plus the Cradle. Dues are reasonable and have increased only minimally over 6 years. At my level of membership I can walk and play all the courses for no additional fee, with the exception of a "trail fee" on #2 from April thru October (cart fee even if you walk).

Tee times are bookable online 7 days out for the most part, with some 30 day times reserved for members bringing guests. It is true that not all courses have times available for members each day, but it is unusual for there to be more than 1 to 2 days a week where a course is unavailable. And if there are resort times unused, they are released to the members within 48 hours (right now that requires a phone call to book, but soon the app will allow online booking for those too).

I will be retiring there in a few years and have zero concerns about tee time availability. It is true that Pinehurst is busy, and at times you can forget that that is a good thing. There are constant improvements when the money is rolling in, though. Conditioning on all 9 courses is excellent, and the idea that you get to play 2 world class courses in #2 & #4 on a regular basis is mind boggling. The membership also has access to a great Pool complex next to the clubhouse, there is Lake Pinehurst a short drive away with a beach and dock area, and there are multiple clubhouse restaurants for members only (as well as Payne's Pub overlooking the 18th green of #2 - right next to The Deuce).

Off season it is extremely easy to play any course you want any day you want, since there are fewer outings and tournaments. Nothing is better than going out on #2 on a 60 degree December day - you feel like you stole one on those days!

On 8/1/2021 at 12:23 PM, brownm said:

The entire resort allows push carts. Members may buy push carts or the electric trolleys on an approved list from the club and use them. There are annual trolley programs that mean you can use your own trolley for no additional fee (as well as avoid paying any of the trail fees on #2), or you can use your own trolley for around 10 bucks a round if you don't sign up for the program (though the trolley must be "approved" each year to use on the course).

My wife and kids do not play golf, but love the area.  At the resort, tennis, lawn bowling, and croquet are big. There is also a great member pool complex with 2 pools - family pool with a slide and an adult pool for over 16. Lake Pinehurst is recently renovated and a lot of fun , especially for events where there are cookouts and lakeside movies or music.

The entire area of Pinehurst-Southern Pines-Aberdeen has a lot of locally owned shops and restaurants - people tend to try and shop locally, and with a pretty steady population all year round we haven't noticed a ton of turnover for places we knew to be good (though the pandemic did accelerate the closing of a lot of the less popular restaurants and shops). While there are a few areas with big box stores, the planning groups for the towns really preserves the small town feel within each location (the heavy development goes on in the areas between the downtowns). RDU is a little over an hour away. 

Keep in mind, I've been lucky enough to have a place here since my early 40s, and we have used our trips as mini vacations. I won't be a full time resident until I'm retired. I think having the vacation or retired mentality while in Pinehurst fits perfectly with the vibe. While I know a lot of people who have raised their family in the area, it may have been a little too quaint and small for my kids through their teen years, but you never know. The population is starting to skew a little younger, especially within the club - definitely a good thing for the long term prospects. I can't wait to be a full time resident and complete "golf bum" at the resort.

Get this guy a job in the membership office. I’m sold and I wasn’t even looking. 

All kidding aside, it sounds incredible.

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

One big reservation I have about Pinehurst and Mid Pines is accessibility. I'm a member of a private club in Winston-Salem, and usually don't have any issue with tee times. Sometimes, I'll go to practice, change my mind, and go out for a quick 9. Usually, the pro shop can get me on the course. I kind of feel that Pinehurst CC and Mid Pines Club are basically high dollar semi privates. 

3 hours ago, caniac6 said:

One big reservation I have about Pinehurst and Mid Pines is accessibility. I'm a member of a private club in Winston-Salem, and usually don't have any issue with tee times. Sometimes, I'll go to practice, change my mind, and go out for a quick 9. Usually, the pro shop can get me on the course. I kind of feel that Pinehurst CC and Mid Pines Club are basically high dollar semi privates. 

Same here. I’ve thought about joining PN/ MP but am concerned about getting on the course when I want. I guess the trade off is no assessments. 

• Like 1

Another thing, I would like to be a member of a course that is fun to play. US Open courses might be fun to play on occasion, but I don't want to get beat up everyday. I watched the US Am at #2, and the world's best ams were getting hammered. #4 looks pretty tough after the renovation. 

26 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Another thing, I would like to be a member of a course that is fun to play. US Open courses might be fun to play on occasion, but I don't want to get beat up everyday. I watched the US Am at #2, and the world's best ams were getting hammered. #4 looks pretty tough after the renovation. 

that’s why you’ve got 7 other courses. 

8 is a fun course and has a country club kind of vibe anyways 

3 is short but an absolute blast and when I played it I found myself thinking if I were a member I’d play it a ton.

And 4 is really quite playable and fun anyways. Greens are way more receptive than 2

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went down to Pinehurst today to check things out, and came away very unimpressed. First of all, The Deuce was buffet only, so there go the lunch plans. Not a single soul spoke to me. Not a single employee or golfer. I asked a caddie a question, and he walked past like I wasn't even there.                                                    We then went to Pine Needles/ Mid Pines, and that was a much better experience. It was a lot more laid back, the people were very friendly, and the courses looked every bit as good as the Pinehurst courses. The buildings were a bit rough. I know Donald Ross designed the courses, but it looked like he laid the carpet, too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Not a single soul spoke to me. Not a single employee or golfer. I asked a caddie a question, and he walked past like I wasn't even there.

That is pretty much the opposite of every single trip I've had to Pinehurst. Every door held, a friendly greeting from every employee, folks going out of their way to be helpful. Near Disney world level of service with a smile. 

Now they do toss your bags around like crazy, I agree with you there. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

That is pretty much the opposite of every single trip I've had to Pinehurst. Every door held, a friendly greeting from every employee, folks going out of their way to be helpful. Near Disney world level of service with a smile. 

Now they do toss your bags around like crazy, I agree with you there. 

All our experiences were good as well, that's why today was so surprising. It's funny you mentioned Disney. I described it as  Disney World for golfers to my wife on the drive down. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 9:46 AM, Luv2n4 said:

Very good discussion.  I was just there for Golf Academy.  The North South Senior was also taking place.  The resort was fully booked.  Very busy.  It's world class golf.  From what I have heard it reasonably priced.  I love the place and am doing the same analysis as everyone above.

Initiation is $45,000. Half that if you buy a house with a transferable membership. Monthly dues were slightly less than $600. I'm not sure about a food minimum. Really not bad considering the number of courses. Mid Pines/Pine Needles was $20,000 down, and I think the monthly was close. I believe Southern Pines was included in the MP/PN membership. The vibe at MP/PN was a lot more laid back than Pinehurst, and the courses looked really good. If you are looking for a private club experience, look somewhere else. The courses were wall to wall when we were there.

4 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Initiation is $45,000. Half that if you buy a house with a transferable membership. Monthly dues were slightly less than $600. I'm not sure about a food minimum. Really not bad considering the number of courses. Mid Pines/Pine Needles was $20,000 down, and I think the monthly was close. I believe Southern Pines was included in the MP/PN membership. The vibe at MP/PN was a lot more laid back than Pinehurst, and the courses looked really good. If you are looking for a private club experience, look somewhere else. The courses were wall to wall when we were there.

Played Mid Pines for the first time time on my most recent Pinehurst trip. I really enjoyed it. Very fun track. 

Clubhouse and hotel looked like they are about to fall down though. Don't know if they have any other/better facilities for members.