2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2021 AIG Women's British Open

KBong

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

Great coverage - plenty of variety and not a conveyor belt of meaningless 4 ft putts shown.

Enjoying the insights from the commentary, too.

This is how to cover golf imho.

The Scottish 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🗣brogue /accent of Iona Stephen (Sky Sports UK commentator) = very pleasing (to my ears). 😬 

🤔Who else is on this week's sky sports commentary team?

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 I recognise Sophie Walker’s voice...

🇦🇺 maybe Alison Whitaker too? 

Edited by JungleJimbo

18 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

The Scottish 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🗣brogue /accent of Iona Stephens (Sky Sports UK commentator) = very pleasing (to my ears). 😬 

I usually absolutely dislike (edited: very strong) Scottish accents (but I like Scots - go figure, such a contradiction) but for some reason like Iona's.

BTW I dislike Aussie accents, particularly female's.

I'm a shambles of likes and dislikes in regards to accents.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

22 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

The commentators read this forum: "Here's Brooke Henderson, it's her sister Brittany that's on the bag".

Kill me now.

Next up will be "Here's Nelly Korda with her sister and former player Jessica on the bag."

I can honestly see this happening if Jessica's game takes a plunge and Nelly's stays amongst the the best. Give or take 3 years from now.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/18/2021 at 2:06 AM, Lobby said:

I would predict a winner, but nobody ever actually predicts worth a flip.

I predict someone we don't expect to win.

How's that?

Have just discovered the “AIG women’s open” YouTube channel & PlayList... including a “Who’s Going To win? 🏆” Discussion !

The Playlist includes some catch-ups with Sophia Popov. 

56D8BAFB-7181-4496-AF54-29F3F07D2883.jpeg

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

I usually absolutely dislike Scottish accents (but I like Scots - go figure, such a contradiction) but for some reason like Iona's.

I’m not really an expert w.r.t. figuring out Scottish accents (I assume there are several different accents... similar to our recent discussion w.r.t. Brummie / Black Country/ Peaky Blinders accents differing, despite being all contained in a small geographical area!)

(albeit my guess = Iona Stephen's accent =probably a posh Scottish accent... maybe StAndrews-ish, as opposed to a Scottish burr?)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

I’m not really an expert w.r.t. figuring out Scottish accents (I assume there are several different accents... similar to our recent discussion w.r.t. Brummie / Black Country/ Peaky Blinders accents differing, despite being all contained in a small geographical area!)

(albeit my guess = Iona Stephen's accent =probably a posh Scottish accent... maybe StAndrews-ish, as opposed to a Scottish burr?)

I'm guessing a softer Edinburgh Burr -so I reckon you're on the mark re posh.

I had an ex-mother-in-law from a tough area of Glasgow, her accent made one from Nova Scotia aspirational.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

4 minutes ago, One Putter said:

Nelly continues to be impressive af.

And look at Georgia Hall. Damn. What a tee shot on 16.

Georgia is a top links player, will be a threat in this event for the next decade.

I suspect her friendship with Charley is a sham...."no Charley, just play your own game, go for everything, it's bound to pay off by 2040"...he he.

• Like 1

I wonder what it would take to make Georgia smile?

Come on lass, it can't be that bad.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Georgia is a top links player, will be a threat in this event for the next decade.

I suspect her friendship with Charley is a sham...."no Charley, just play your own game, go for everything, it's bound to pay off by 2040"...he he.

I'm a huge fan. Inbee is making her way up the leaderboard too. I know it's only Thursday but what a leaderboard, there's even an am up there.

• Like 2

Nelly might just have a future in golf....  My goodness!  Right now, she hasn't missed a beat!  Let's see if she can keep this up.  This is shaping up to be a good one!

• Like 2

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Except for a lousy round 1 in the Olympics, Yuka has been playing decently actually the past few rounds since then... T15 in the Scottish Open, T9 Olympics... let's see if this post causes a jinx LOL...

Andrea Lee seems to like playing at the Open - last yr also fared well...

Finally I think Jeen T will still be a factor on the last day... And of course, am rooting for Hinako -- race is too early and too close to call for sure...

9 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Charley doesn't have the game for links golf - it requires more than attempting to bomb it off the tee and going for every pin - unless you have an amazing recovery game ala Seve.

Whilst great fun to watch, Charley's course management costs her winning potential on just about any course.

Maybe she's not too bothered - she's got her shopping and spa trip with her friend Georgia in place for after this event. I suspect she enjoys her life...the female Rickie Fowler?

Ya, Charley doesn't seem to have the finesse to be a week in week out contender.

Are you sure Charley is friends with Georgia.

I get the impression Charley is a bit of a lone wolf on tour....and her friends are her mates back home.

Spoke with her dad a while ago and I realize things can change, but he said Charley really didn't hang out much with fellow pros.

Dave Hull is a really nice and approachable guy....I chatted with him quite a bit....due to health reasons...I don't think he travels much anymore....and Charley was young when she came out on tour and needed someone with her.

He told Charley to enjoy life and not to get burnt out too soon playing on the tour.

He's the anti-BJ Wie....he just let Charley do her thing and manage her own game....he seldom did a post rd review with Charley.

3 hours ago, 3whacker said:

Carnoustie looked tame this morning, would not have imagined NK being at the top of the leaderboard being such a high ball hitter, dont know if she is good at flighting her irons but she is playing well...if the wind blows it could/will get very interesting

Tom Watson was a high flight player...and became the best British Open player in history.

Sometimes it's better to just pick the right club and hit it pure...vs trying to use a different swing to hit it lower

Edited by Cwebb
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Except for a lousy round 1 in the Olympics, Yuka has been playing decently actually the past few rounds since then... T15 in the Scottish Open, T9 Olympics... let's see if this post causes a jinx LOL...

Andrea Lee seems to like playing at the Open - last yr also fared well...

Finally I think Jeen T will still be a factor on the last day... And of course, am rooting for Hinako -- race is too early and too close to call for sure...

You have too many horses in this race!  Too many divided loyalties!  😂 

We will see what happens when the weather turns on them.  Instead of being "Carnasty" today, it was "Carnicely".  Flags were practically limp and flat all day . . . hardly an ounce of wind coming in off the North Sea.    

I'm liking Yuka, SYK and Georgia . . . Attaya could get hot too . . . with the exception of Georgia, she is probably the best links player of the group that I have listed.   

Time and weather will tell all.  But its been good viewing thus far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cwebb said:

Tom Watson was a high flight player...and became the best British Open player in history.

Sometimes it better to just pick the right club and hit it pure...vs trying to use a different swing to hit it lower

True that, but still Tom could hit some of the best shots in the wind and he knew when to go "low".   Also, he said in an interview that he originally hated playing in Scotland and the links courses . . . then one year he said Sandy Tatum the former USGA Executive Director/President(?) took him to Scotland for an extended period and Tom said that was when the "light switch" came on . . . he learned to embrace the elements and revel in whatever was tossed his way weatherwise.  And its a shame he missed that four foot putt in 2009.   It would have put him in elite class as the most Open Championships in history alongside Harry Vardon.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Hee Young is teeing it up on the KLPGA this week. 'Looks like she's paired with her sister, the Mini Rocket.

spacer.png

You got tipped off at ss.com....lol.

It's comical seeing Happyfan moaning all the time how the courses are set up to benefit all golfers except for the Koreans.

A Caucasian who thinks he's Korean.....LMAO.

Slamming the likes of Shibuno, Rose Zhang, etc...it's so funny.

Oh ya...gotta LUV when the Rocket wears knee highs.

Mini Rocket is a nut ball in the outrageous and fugly Bob apparel.

1 minute ago, Golf Dino said:

True that, but still Tom could hit some of the best shots in the wind and he knew when to go "low".   Also, he said in an interview that he originally hated playing in Scotland and the links courses . . . then one year he said Sandy Tatum the former USGA Executive Director/President(?) took him to Scotland for an extended period and Tom said that was when the "light switch" came on . . . he learned to embrace the elements and revel in whatever was tossed his way weatherwise.  And its a shame he missed that four foot putt in 2009.   It would have put him in elite class as the most Open Championships in history alongside Harry Vardon.

Yeah, if if recall Tom was 58 that year in '09.  Would have been one of the greatest wins of all time.

A lot of players lose more than they gain, by using a different swing in the wind.  I've always been an advocate of just using less loft with a little smoother swing, if you need to flight it down, instead of trying to shorten your swing with some sort of a sawed off "punch" follow through.  Makes it a lot easier to keep extra spin off the shots as well.

Today's players seem to love loft.  Always trying to make a higher lofted club go lower, instead of just using a lower lofted club that will go lower on it's own

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

Sometimes it's better to just pick the right club and hit it pure...vs trying to use a different swing to hit it lower

Yes but Watson's high ball flight had a piercing trajectory and he knew how to play British courses on the ground , so to speak, he understood links golf like very few players ever do, plus he knew how to trap the ball very well

18 hours ago, jobin said:

Surprised to see only one Chinese in the field.  And about 8 amateurs.  

Several of China’s biggest hitters on the LPGA Tour have chosen to stay away as they prepare for next month’s National Games, for which [Muni] He’s Sichuan province team did not qualify.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/sport/golf/article/3145453/lily-muni-he-qualifies-british-open-and-chinas-hopes-rest-solely-her

The difference between Olympics and AIG in attracting new eyeballs is like day and night.  Nelly's Instagram followers ramped up from 260,000 to 350,000 in five days; but her account stays idle at 355,000 after opening day at AIG.

The magic about Olympics is all about national pride; that's something LPGA should recreate in their Major Tournaments.

Edited by 18majors

5 minutes ago, 18majors said:

The difference between Olympics and AIG in attracting new eyeballs is like day and night.  Nelly's Instagram followers ramped up from 260,000 to 350,000 in five days; but her account stays idle at 355,000 after opening day at AIG.

The magic about Olympics is all about national pride; that's something LPGA should recreate in their Major Tournaments.

This is what the 'golf doesnt belong in the olympics' crowd completely miss - The Olympics gives you media coverage and eyeballs that you will never get just as  a golf tournament. The world watches the olympic games  - the golfing world watched majors

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport