Anyone play a 5 wood only for their lone Fairway Wood?

VanTheMan0519

14 hours ago, boggyman said:

Keep us posted on this please. My 5w is played at 41.5”

My TSi2 5w with the 4w length shaft plays at 42.5" as per Titleist spec. Have it dialed down to C2 setting and fills the gap between my driver and 4H. 

Only been able to hit on mats lately and going to try on grass to see for consistency - might have to cut down to 42" to feel just right 😎

• Like 1

Driver - TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5*, HZRDUS Green 6.0 (60g)
3wood - Titleist TSi2 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 (70g), MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue (65g)
4Hybrid - PXG 0317x Gen4, Fujikura Vista Pro (65g) 
Irons (5-GW) - Honma XP1, NS Pro 950GH
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Forged  (54.12), CG15 (60.12)
Putter - Ping Redwood Anser

1 hour ago, vinny_land said:

My TSi2 5w with the 4w length shaft plays at 42.5" as per Titleist spec. Have it dialed down to C2 setting and fills the gap between my driver and 4H. 

Only been able to hit on mats lately and going to try on grass to see for consistency - might have to cut down to 42" to feel just right 😎

I stumbled onto 41.5 by trial and error.Can go longer but just doesn’t feel right. FWIW, my driver is 43.5.

• Like 1

Finally have the bag set up after 2 years of fiddling.

TM M4 9.5*.  - Considering turning up to 10 or 10.5

Maltby 16* 4W - 200-220 off deck / 215-230 tee

Cleveland 18* 3+ HyWood - 190-200

Maltby 21* HyWay utility wood 175-185

Sim2 Max irons 5-AW

52*

56* 

60*

- 60* usually odd club out.  I sometimes leave the HyWay back if I need that 60* for the course I'm playing

• Like 2

10 hours ago, erock9174 said:

Not to derail this thread but I will reply then duck out and back to the 5w speak.  

I get this comment and actually am a decent chipper of the ball with normal wedges.  According to Shot Scope when compared to a 0 handicap I lose the least amount of strokes in that facet of the game over Driver, Approaches and Putting.  But since adding the Smart Sole C (42*) I just enjoy having that club in the bag

For short chips I still like the touch I get with my 56 or 60* but for longer chips..say across the green I like the accuracy of the chipper over a wedge.  Sometimes with wedges I would get a funky side spin.  Also, I absolutely love the Chipper for those shots say 20-60 yds out with no trouble in front of the green where I can play it like a long putt.  Straight back and through motion and bump and run it to the hole.  Not to mention it helps take the random duff out of the equation that I sometimes get with a wedge.  With a wedge I have never had the consistency in this shot like I do with the chipper. So its more of a comfort thing.  Also if you get a gnarly lie, for example the other day had a ball above my feet from about 100 yds out in some thicker rough and he lie was uneven.  I hit my PW and it ended up ok.  Short left and nearly in the water.  Put another ball down in the same spot to see what would happen and hit one with the Smart Sole C and put it to about 15'.  So it just has its spots where I like that club from.  

So if the 5w keeps giving me heartburn it will likely be the club that is the odd man out.  If I get back to hitting my 5w consistently then the 4h is probably the one to sit out unless playing a longer course. 

That is a valid reason for sure 👍

Edited by blades_are_life

I tired this over the weekend as I’ve been struggling keeping the ball in play off then tee and accuracy is more important than distance at my home club on most holes. I kept all but one tee shot in play (that one was with driver) and shot 76, 75. Much better scores than I’ve been posting as of late. I’m definitely going to experiment with this setup a little more. 

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Titleist TSR2

7 wood: Ping G430 max

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 5-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Ping i25 5w @ 42.5" turned down to 17*. No regrets.

I may end up getting a G430 tuned the same way.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Current setup has my TSR2 5W turned down to 17.25* followed by my TSR2 7W at 21.75* then my 23.5* 5i....

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 15*

Titleist U505 18*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Swag Savage Too

Titleist Pro V1 yellow 

Nice to see so many kindred spirits. I've carried a 43" 5W in place of a 3W for years now. I call it my 3W lol.

Edited by trevor90

D : Callaway Paradym

3W: Titleist 913F
H: Titleist TS2

4-PW: Srixon ZXU (4), ZX5 (5-6), ZX7 (7-PW)
50-56-60: Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw
P : Odyssey
 White Hot Versa Twelve DB

• 1 month later...

4w/7w experiment has officially ended for me. 7 wood doesn't get much use and mostly I just miss having one go-to fairway wood that I have full confidence in.

Now just trying to decide if that club is my 16.5* TSR3 lofted up a bit or if I snag a Stealth 2+ 18* or Aerojet LS 17.5*.

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | Tour AD VF 6x

TBD | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105tx

Titleist T150 | Modus 115x

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: TP5x or Prov1

i was initially using the following:

• TSR2 10o D
  • TS2 16.5o4W
  • 816H1 4U
  • 5i etc

I had issues with my driver and my go-to club was my 4W. Went for a fitting and they suggested cutting down the driver shaft by 1". Was curious on the lengths of my other shafts and found that my 4W and 4U are shorter than usual. Therefore I upgraded my bag to the following

• TSR2 10o D 44.5" (-1")
  • G425 16o 5W 42.5"
  • ZX MK2 21o 7W 42"
  • 816H1 21o 4U 39.5"
  • 5i 25o etc

I somehow keep thinking about getting a new 3W or the TSR2 4W. The number 5W just puts me off but i think i shouldn't be thinking about it too much it's just the number but the loft is the same. Should probably do a gapping test to see how it goes. not sure whether my 7W and 4U is overlapping each other

5W as only fairway wood in the bag for me as well. Play mine at 17.5* but can adjust 16-19*. I have no need for a 3W now. Unless you have a good reliable 3W that you can trust, there's really no need to have a 3W nowadays. These 5Ws go plenty far, get better launch, easier to hit out of rough. It's easily one of my favorite clubs. My gaps at the top are driver (9*), 4-5W (17.5*), hybrid (21*).

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

I might go that route sometimes. My Stealth Plus 5 wood is so hot, I can get away with pulling the 3 wood. 

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

• 1 month later...

Yes!!!!!  My only fairway wood is the Ping G425 in the 17.5* loft.  My next club down from there is a 23* Titleist hybrid, then I go on into the 6 iron and so on and so forth.  For the courses I play around here, really that's all I need.  Also, for my swing speed of 100mph on the dot (I know, I know, that's extremely weak by GolfWRX standards)......that 5 wood loft is just right off the deck or off of a low tee.

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

7 Wood-Callaway Paradym w/Aldila Ascent shaft

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

On 6/14/2023 at 9:10 PM, erock9174 said:

I only game one fairway wood. Ping g425 SFT 5w 19*. 

I don’t swing fast enough to adequately launch a 3 or 4 wood. And the 5w gaps pretty well with my 4h which is 23* 

Similar. 5w is my longest club after the D.

A 3w is not useful for me — don’t really have enough speed to launch it well off the ground any more unless the strike is perfect, and don’t need it off the tee where I can usually hit the D 14x per round. 

Going down the bag my setup is different though — I rely heavily on my 7w and 9w before going to hybrids for 5i - 7i replacements. 

I was a die hard 2i guy for a long time — too long. It is odd to have 8i my longest iron! 😁

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

A fair amount of commentary lately about 17* or 16* as one's lowest wood.  It's largely the same thing that's been going on in golf for 60+ years.  

TL;DR version up front:  pay attention to the loft of your woods, not the number stamped on them.  If 16* or 17* is the lowest loft you can effectively use, go with it.  Doesn't matter what name it's been given.

In decades past, few players carried a wood in 13* or 14* loft, the first wood past driver was generally 16* or 17*.  These 13*/14* lofted clubs were often used as the ultimate specialty club for faster speed players, or as driver substitutes for slower speed players.

The difference between then and now is the label attached to the club.  In the present, a 17* is counted as a 5w, 13* or 14* a 3w.  In the past, these were a 3w and 2w, respectively.

Funny that in spite of all this tech advance, we're in the same place we've always been. 🙂

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

10 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

A fair amount of commentary lately about 17* or 16* as one's lowest wood.  It's largely the same thing that's been going on in golf for 60+ years.  

TL;DR version up front:  pay attention to the loft of your woods, not the number stamped on them.  If 16* or 17* is the lowest loft you can effectively use, go with it.  Doesn't matter what name it's been given.

In decades past, few players carried a wood in 13* or 14* loft, the first wood past driver was generally 16* or 17*.  These 13*/14* lofted clubs were often used as the ultimate specialty club for faster speed players, or as driver substitutes for slower speed players.

The difference between then and now is the label attached to the club.  In the present, a 17* is counted as a 5w, 13* or 14* a 3w.  In the past, these were a 3w and 2w, respectively.

Funny that in spite of all this tech advance, we're in the same place we've always been. 🙂

Back in the glory days of GEA Kenoenputt(IIRC) was a big advocate of lowest effective loft in fairways and had it around 20° and 42" long. I tried it out and found it worked very well for me and still does. For years my fairway was a teeny, tiny Logic Tech 5w which changed into several Ping 7w's and now settled into Callaway Heavenwood. Currently a Rogue ST Max at 42.5" on an Xcaliber FW a flex shaft. I have a matching 9w but it's never used on the courses I play now.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

14 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Back in the glory days of GEA Kenoenputt(IIRC) was a big advocate of lowest effective loft in fairways and had it around 20° and 42" long. I tried it out and found it worked very well for me and still does. For years my fairway was a teeny, tiny Logic Tech 5w which changed into several Ping 7w's and now settled into Callaway Heavenwood. Currently a Rogue ST Max at 42.5" on an Xcaliber FW a flex shaft. I have a matching 9w but it's never used on the courses I play now.

I remember when he was proposing that.  I admit I'm borrowing from his posts on that subject, in my above comments.  🙂

In a way, it's funny that those of us who were around in the GEA glory days are still talking about many of the same concepts discussed back then.  

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 minute ago, NRJyzr said:

In a way, it's funny that those of us who were around in the GEA glory days are still talking about many of the same concepts discussed back then.  

Just goes to show how not much has changed in golf.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

11 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Just goes to show how not much has changed in golf.

This is so true; even on some of the older persimmon wooded fairway clubs, many of them have the brass plated bottom or some sort of weight added lower and back.....just like many of today's modern clubs.  Similar concepts were at work even back then.

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

7 Wood-Callaway Paradym w/Aldila Ascent shaft

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6