Anyone play a 5 wood only for their lone Fairway Wood?

VanTheMan0519

21 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I remember when he was proposing that.  I admit I'm borrowing from his posts on that subject, in my above comments.  🙂

In a way, it's funny that those of us who were around in the GEA glory days are still talking about many of the same concepts discussed back then.  

When I look back at my club specs when I played my most consistent golf (I have write ups on most clubs back to 1997) it was with iron lengths a little shorter than what is around today. I'm going to reshaft my irons once the season is over and I might even go back to those specs.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

A fair amount of commentary lately about 17* or 16* as one's lowest wood.  It's largely the same thing that's been going on in golf for 60+ years.  

TL;DR version up front:  pay attention to the loft of your woods, not the number stamped on them.  If 16* or 17* is the lowest loft you can effectively use, go with it.  Doesn't matter what name it's been given.

In decades past, few players carried a wood in 13* or 14* loft, the first wood past driver was generally 16* or 17*.  These 13*/14* lofted clubs were often used as the ultimate specialty club for faster speed players, or as driver substitutes for slower speed players.

The difference between then and now is the label attached to the club.  In the present, a 17* is counted as a 5w, 13* or 14* a 3w.  In the past, these were a 3w and 2w, respectively.

Funny that in spite of all this tech advance, we're in the same place we've always been. 🙂

For a few years I played a 5w only, typically 18*-19*. Post COVID, I decided to get a good clubfitting and went to the Kingdom (won it in a raffle) and also did a PXG full bag fitting with one of their master fitters. Both fitters had me at 16* as the lowest possible loft I could effectively hit off of the ground and my driver speed is just over 100 and have been a low single digit for years. The fitter at the Kingdom told me that it had a lot to do with delivery and speed, but very few can hit a stock loft 3w off the ground and they primarily only fit people for them as a secondary tee club. 

• Like 3

3.9 HCP and falling (hopefully)

PIng G430 10.5 AltaCB 55 stiff, flat setting

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, Tensei Blue 65 stiff, C1 setting

Titleist TSR3 21*, HZRDUS Black 6.0, D1 setting

Titleist TSR3 24* HZRDUS Black 6.0, C1 setting

Titleist T150 5-9, PX LZ 6.0

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54D, 58T
TM Spider Tour for now.......

Ball ProV1x

6 minutes ago, Retrop1 said:

For a few years I played a 5w only, typically 18*-19*. Post COVID, I decided to get a good clubfitting and went to the Kingdom (won it in a raffle) and also did a PXG full bag fitting with one of their master fitters. Both fitters had me at 16* as the lowest possible loft I could effectively hit off of the ground and my driver speed is just over 100 and have been a low single digit for years. The fitter at the Kingdom told me that it had a lot to do with delivery and speed, but very few can hit a stock loft 3w off the ground and they primarily only fit people for them as a secondary tee club. 

Well I think their advice is well off the mark. 

Former 8HCP, easily use a tour spoon 13D off any sort of uphill lie.

Any marginal lies, cut a 15D up. If a fairway has no trouble left off the tee, then draw your driver, giving room to cut up your spoon or 3-wood. Very useful on par 5’s and helps with having a 5-wood in the bag after the 13D. 

1 hour ago, Pastit said:

Well I think their advice is well off the mark. 

Former 8HCP, easily use a tour spoon 13D off any sort of uphill lie.

Any marginal lies, cut a 15D up. If a fairway has no trouble left off the tee, then draw your driver, giving room to cut up your spoon or 3-wood. Very useful on par 5’s and helps with having a 5-wood in the bag after the 13D. 

No offense intended, but if you can do all that, why is your hanidcap 14 and never lower than an 8? That is an impressive skill set you display. 

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54D, 58T

Ball ProV1x

17 minutes ago, Retrop1 said:

No offense intended, but if you can do all that, why is your hanidcap 14 and never lower than an 8? That is an impressive skill set you display. 

I’m nearly eighty young man and riddled with arthritis. If you don’t like advice from those with experience why post ? Just use the advice you already have, no skin off my nose.  

Edited by Pastit
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Retrop1 said:

Probably can't chip and putt. Its the Wrx way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I was having some gapping issues between driver and 5i (which is my strongest lofted iron). I had D 10.5*, 3w 13.5*, 3H 19*, 5i 23.5*. I wanted to add 4w in between 3w and 3h, or ditch both and get a 5w. But before I bought another club I decided I would adjust the lofts around a little to try to make a little more sense of the sticks I have and see what happens first. I turned my 3W up to 16* (quasi 4W) and I am now able to hit pretty consistent off of the dirt. I actually love the flight now even off of a tee. I only use it on second shot on par 5's, or when my driver is going wonky.  Now have to do something about the 3H. I moved it up to 20.5 to better fill gaps, but I  have a mental struggle with the way the face appears at setup now. So I may have to move it back to 19* and find a filler club between it and the 5i (5H? or matching 4i), or get used to it where it is and buy a 5 wood. 

On 9/15/2023 at 12:16 PM, Pastit said:

I’m nearly eighty young man and riddled with arthritis. If you don’t like advice from those with experience why post ? Just use the advice you already have, no skin off my nose.  

I welcome the advice of anyone, I was simply asking a question to try and establish the validity of the advice. If you can work those low lofted clubs like you say at 80 with arthritis, then I am very happy for you. 

• Like 1

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54D, 58T

Ball ProV1x

I really only have maybe 2 par 4's on the courses I play on that I will Tee up with a 5 wood. The other day I hit my TM Stealth Gloire 3W which I thought was nice on a 350 + yard par 4 and I was only 100 yds out and the I hit my Paradym X 5W right next to it as you could lay a blanket over both balls. I now have a Paradym X 3W with a GD AD UB 5 shaft coming in 1-2 weeks. Being 68 I will take a 250 yard drive all day but when it was my 5W I may use it more now.  

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

2 hours ago, Retrop1 said:

I welcome the advice of anyone, I was simply asking a question to try and establish the validity of the advice. If you can work those low lofted clubs like you say at 80 with arthritis, then I am very happy for you. 

Well, like all lies, it’s a question of selecting the loft for the lie.

But I might add something which may or may not affect you. Many older courses in the U.K. are built on former marginal farm land which has ridge and furrow drainage giving a cheap method of drainage for sheep pasture.  

One can find oneself one day hitting a great drive and ending up with a downhill lie but the next day having a perfect uphill lie suiting a spoon. 

I’ve already suggested cutting up the shot from marginal lies but you want the smoothest swing in your bag for these shots. If you look at the TM mini-driver posts on here you can see many guys like these from fairways. Not for me, give me the tour spoon. My favourite is an old TM R7 TP with its original Fujikura stiff. Hope this helps.

Edited by Pastit
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did until recently. just a matter of how you play i guess. not sure what it is, but i somehow tend to get massive height on just about any hit, no matter what i do to try and combat it. Doesnt worry me, because it doesnt cause me any problems distance wise, apart from the fact that i dont get a ton of bounce and roll with most clubs.

Which is why i invested in a 3 wood. i wanted something to bridge that gap for longer 3s or shorter 4s

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max 9.5* Tensei AV White 65 X-Stiff

Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 15* MMT 304SS 80X +1.5", King Cobra Ti 18* 5 Wood

Irons: Wilson Staff D9 4i - 9i DG X100 2.5" Longer

Wedges: Wilson Staff D9 PW 43*, SW 53* - Macgregor LW 64* ~ All 2.5" longer

Putter: Customized Wilson Staff Infinite South Side - Belly/Armlock Hybrid shaft

Oddysey Ten Ball Broomstick

On 8/17/2021 at 1:15 AM, VanTheMan0519 said:

My course is short. And courses around here are generally short. Only time I would need a 3 wood off the deck would be after a duffed drive on a par 5. 

But I was thinking of getting a 5 wood, tuning the loft down, say to 16.5 and using it as a tee club. Something I could float out there 245ish. Be a great backup for when the driver seems off or when I need more off the tee than my 20* driving iron. 

Thoughts?

Off your sort of handicap there should be no problem sticking to a 5wood but as we’re allowed 14 clubs it’s simply which mix suits you best. 

I did for a long time, then I moved to a four wood. The five wood never sees the light of day now.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Yep as a min driver player, the 5 wood makes sense over having a 3. I know the 5 wood is getting in the air. RBZ line for me still 

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

I played 5 wood as a 4 wood as my only fairway for the first half of the year. Found I was only really hitting it on tee shots. So I switched to a 3W lofted up to 16* with the 5w shaft in it.   My miss is a slice rather than a hook, so going higher in loft is better than adjusting lower for me anyway. And the 3W head is deeper and taller which makes it a tad more forgiving off the tee.  I can still hit it from the turf if needed - but it would have to be the perfect situation or a scramble round.  My longest club from the turf is a 3h or 7W depending on how I'm feeling that day (~200 yds).

I recently bought a mini driver playing at 13.5 degrees that is great off the tee and surprisingly easy off the turf. So I added a cobra five wood at 19 as my lone fairway wood for anything in the 200-225 range. It’s easier than a UW and honestly from that yardage I’m just trying to put a good swing on it. 

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I'm really liking it now.  Bought one (well, another one) because I was bored and it's been entirely more reliable and versatile than the 3w.  I'm typically taking driver off the tee unless it's 100% not an option, so having an alternate tee club is not very important.  Having something I feel good about hitting off the turf 200-230y is pretty nice.  For a long time I had the 18° hybrid in there, but even that was -10 yards or so compared to the 5w.  Anyway, it's fun to experiment with.  I think the 3w is sacked for a bit, the 5w gets to stay for now, and will likely keep the 4h and 5i up next.  Seems to be the best combo for now.

I play a driver, mini driver and a 5 wood.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

Me too on the 2H, mine is 16 degrees and is all round better compared to a 3W. I’d play 2H over a fairway any time. 

My next club has been the problem, a 20 degree hybrid or the 20 degree UI. I’d pick the UI all the time, but it’s not better than a hybrid and I keep swapping!

Driver = Callaway Rogue ST Max w Kai’li White 60S

3HL = Callaway Paradigm X w Tensei AV Blue 75S

3UI = Srixon ZX Mkii w Recoil DART 90
5-PW = XXIO X 12 w N.S. Pro 950GH Neo DST

Wedges = Cobra Snakebite 48 | 52 | 58

Putter = Wilson Staff Model 8802

Ball = 2024 AVX 

I play a G425 5 wood turned up to 16*

I have had no complaints since going that route

I go Driver, 5 Wood, Hybrid 22*

My home course it not the longest, so I really have no need for a 3 wood

The 5 wood cranked up allows me to reach some of the par 5 and puts enough air underneath to hold the greens if need be

• Like 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Revisiting this post.  I have been playing a Sim 2 Ti 5 wood turned down to 4 and it's all I need in the slot.  Does all the heavy lifting.  Then I go 7 wood, 4 iron.  Those three clubs carry the load and I can typically manufacture all the shots needed.  

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Depending on how you want to debate it I may not even have a real fairway wood in the bag.

11.5 Brnr mini is lost somewhere between a driver and fairway wood.

17 Apex UW is lost somewhere in between a fairway wood and hybrid 

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour