Anyone play a 5 wood only for their lone Fairway Wood?

VanTheMan0519

Occasionally yes. If the course has lots of big driving opportunities that demand both shapes, I do the fade/draw dual driver setup ala Mickelson and bag a 4w which is always a 5w lofted down. Same deal for scrambles except with an even longer second driver. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I played the 5wd as my only FW for quite some time!  My setup then was driver, 5wd, 4h but then I started playing longer courses around 6300-6600 or a bit more so when I started seeing 215 yd par 3's  and some par 5's at 585 yds or close to it I had to change my setup some since I am not a long ball hitter!

I don't like carrying a full bag but currently going with driver, 3wd 14 deg, 18 deg and 21 deg hybrids, 5-U, 52, 56 and putter.  I will work with and see if I can end up with less clubs by keeping track.  May e less irons!

I retired my Taylor Made 3 and 5 woods, replacing them with 16 and 19 degree Cleveland Launcher Halo hybrids. I replaced the stock grips with the same Winn Dri-Tac that I have on all my clubs, and while I was at it extended the shafts by an inch to bring them up to 3 and 5 wood lengths. They're just as long off the tee as the Taylor Made, but they're longer off the turf, and they can get through rough where the aptly named fairway woods couldn't. I made the switch when I realized than I might hit the 3 and 5 woods off the tee maybe two holes per round, but off the deck or out of the rough at least four holes per round.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

Yup G410 17.5* turned down to 16.5* making it a 4W

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Hi OP , 

My last fairway wood fit, I was fit into a g400 17.5 5wood lofted down 1*.

Was nothing to do with ease of launch or not being able to hit a 3wood. But this just suited me. I prefer a smaller shallow head. 

I can get it out there of the tee and it's excellent of the deck. I can't get it out my bag and that's nearly 5 seasons.

I go Driver 10* , 5 wood 16.5*, 2 iron 18* 

Just suits my game perfect, I just think alot of amateurs would benefit from lofting up.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

I was temporarily using just 5w in my bag when I broke my 2h and needed to fill the gap. I lofted up a 3HL to 19°. I’m glad I did because I got rid of my 3w and just use 5w now. I hit the ball really low (due to steep aoa) so the 5w has been great off the ground and still long enough off the tee. 

I did though replace my 2h with a 7w and it has been life changing. 2h was great off the tee but really tough into long par 3s and par 5s. 7w has really gotten the ball up for me. 

• Like 1

I started carrying just a 5w turned down to a 4w loft earlier this summer and am never going back lol. It's so much easier to hit off the deck than any 3w I've owned, and being able to set a club into auto-fade mode by turning the loft down has been great when I need a fairway finder.

As far as brands go, don't sleep on the Mizuno STZ line. I wish I had learned about them sooner.

I’ve tried it but always go back to a strong 3 wood at around 13 degrees. It’s such a great option off the tee, a ball that stays below the tree line with some speed. 

I also have a 7 wood lofted down to 19.5. I think this setup offers the best of both worlds with no compromise, for me anyways. 

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Yes, 2 drivers (fade, draw, both 460cc), 5 wood, then irons.  5W is great from anywhere for me.  Strong 3W will only go back in the bag if there is a hole I can drive with it, and is rarely needed off the turf.

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

Always found that 3 woods just never fit a shot yardage I'd need on any of the courses I play.  260-270yds from the fairway just never comes up for me and the dispersion off shorter tee shots with my Mavrik SZ 5 wood is just so much tighter, so I sold my 3wood and haven't missed it at all.  Added a super hybrid between the 5wood and my set 4 iron and haven't looked back.

• Like 1

What's being described is really a return to the fairway wood lofts used by many/most for decades.  In Ye Olde Days, most players carried a driver and a 17* fairway club, then maybe a 20* or 23* fairway club, if not both.  Some players substituted a 2w for the driver, not having enough swingspeed and/or trajectory for driver lofts.  

14* fairway clubs were carried by few.  

The only actual difference...  in those days, the 17* club was labeled a 3w, with the 4w being 20* and 5w being 23*; the 14* club was the 2w.  These days, it might be a 4w or even 5w, with hybrids filling the loft slots just above this club, for some players.

Essentially, it's a return to the lofts that have worked for a great many players for a great many years.  <shrug>    It doesn't matter what you call the clubs, the lofts are what matters.

TLDR - same story with different names.  

Or, if you prefer, loft creeps affects woods, too.  🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

46 minutes ago, JeffJ1014 said:

Always found that 3 woods just never fit a shot yardage I'd need on any of the courses I play.  260-270yds from the fairway just never comes up for me and the dispersion off shorter tee shots with my Mavrik SZ 5 wood is just so much tighter, so I sold my 3wood and haven't missed it at all.  Added a super hybrid between the 5wood and my set 4 iron and haven't looked back.

What degree hybrid if I may ask?

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

What's being described is really a return to the fairway wood lofts used by many/most for decades.  In Ye Olde Days, most players carried a driver and a 17* fairway club, then maybe a 20* or 23* fairway club, if not both.  Some players substituted a 2w for the driver, not having enough swingspeed and/or trajectory for driver lofts.  

14* fairway clubs were carried by few.  

The only actual difference...  in those days, the 17* club was labeled a 3w, with the 4w being 20* and 5w being 23*; the 14* club was the 2w.  These days, it might be a 4w or even 5w, with hybrids filling the loft slots just above this club, for some players.

Essentially, it's a return to the lofts that have worked for a great many players for a great many years.  <shrug>    It doesn't matter what you call the clubs, the lofts are what matters.

TLDR - same story with different names.  

Or, if you prefer, loft creeps affects woods, too.  🙂

Truth. What guys are now describing as 5w's was my 4w from 1995-2015. Hell most current 7w's are the 5w's spec wise from the same peiod.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

5 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Truth. What guys are now describing as 5w's was my 4w from 1995-2015. Hell most current 7w's are the 5w's spec wise from the same peiod.

And its only a few years farther back to get to "modern 7w equals 4w."  Ping Zing woods, as one example.

Comment for what is almost certain to come...  this isn't me decrying loft creep.  What I'm really saying is pay attention to the lofts, because that is what matters to each of us.  What the clubs are called isn't important.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Have a radspeed 5w on the way. Hopefully my last fairway purchase in a long time.   Planning on turning down to 17* and use that as my only fairway wood

LTDx 9* AD-VR6x 

Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo 15*

Rad Speed 19* Hybrid

ZX5 MKII 5-AW

CBX 2 54*

TM Big Foot 58*

Odyssey Versa 3 T

Chrome Soft X-LS

I think most new players and higher handicaps would benefit from having a 5W be their lowest lofted FW.  The difference off the tee from a 3W to a 5W for most of those players is going to be negligible but where it really helps will be from the fairway/sitting up in the rough on a 2nd shot to a par 5 or on longer par 4s.  The added loft should help get the ball in the air and they are much more likely to have a longer carry and overall distance with the 5W.   

2 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

What degree hybrid if I may ask?

I have a 20 degree super hybrid that I play at 19 to take some of the left out of it. Only 1 degree more than the 5 wood, but it flies 230-235 to my 5wood's 250.  Fits right between the 4i and 5w.  

Edited by JeffJ1014

I find this discussion very interesting. I have been carrying a 4-wood as my only fairway wood for quite some time, but I had a mild stroke a year ago and lost about 20 yards on my driver (I'm now averaging 210 yds), and my 4-wood has been somewhat inconsistent. I have two Cobra F7 hybrids, a 3-4, and a 4-5, and hit them pretty good. My 4-wood (when I hit it well) wasn't going much further than the 3-4, so I picked up a Cobra F7 2-3 hybrid, and set it at 16.5 degrees. I set the 3-4 hybrid at 19.5, and the 4-5 hybrid at 22.5, and then go to my 5 iron. I'm hitting the 2-3 hybrid just as far as my 4-wood, more consistently, and it's better out of the rough. I have been averaging about 185-190 with it. The other upside is that my swing seems to work better with irons and hybrids than it does with fairway woods anyway. I also just started playing shorter tees that don't require a second shot with a fairway wood on long par 4s, even when I have a decent drive. I recently read that length of tees you should play, should give you the CAPABILITY of hitting any green in regulation. On a 435 yard par 4, I had no chance.

• Like 2

played a shorter course this weekend and took out my sim three wood.  played my sim 19* and then a 20* hybrid.  it was perfect.  sim 19* is sooo long anyway i might just keep this moving fwd.  

TSr2 10* - Tensei 1K White 60X
SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
MP18 MMC FLIHI 23* + New Level CB 623CB 5-PW- AMT TI X100
SM9 50.08, 54.10*, & 58.12D*-DG S200
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

People lose me when they say “5w” but then they change the loft and throw a 3w shaft....... I guess I legit take it as you can move a 19degree 5 wood some distance because you can hit it. Not turn it into a 4w and say you play a 5w lol 

• Like 1

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

I used a ping g30 5wood lofted down to 17* for a few years while I was trying to find a trust 3 wood again

I used it mostly of tee balls but found for the little extra height I was getting it was still a similar distance as my 2I @ 18 degrees. 

I still take it when I travel but it was been benched since the TSI 3 3 wood came in