2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Whats the hardest course you have ever played?

On 7/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, trilinkrealty said:

Recently played a tourney at Pasatiempo and the course was tipped out and I'm pretty sure they put every pin in the craziest spot they could find on every hole!  Also double rolled the greens before the 1 o clock shot gun start.  There were a lot of good golfers there and not many good scores!

Pasa will test your game no doubt. Classic MacKenzie!

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 7/9/2022 at 11:16 PM, hammergolf said:

Pasa will test your game no doubt. Classic MacKenzie!

Have not played Pasa yet but some friends did a week ago.

Both said it was harder then expected because it is so "tilted".  Uneven lies with ball well below your feet right in the middle of the fairways creating a fade shot and the green tilting left to right.  They had a few "choice" thoughts of a few holes BUT both "liked" the course and said it is a course you have to play a few times to know how to play it well.  Both said it really is a target course and have to know how the ball will run or bounce around.... 

Based on the "vibe\" of the discussion I asked if they would play it again....

"A lot of good courses in the area, maybe do it again but would try a few others first...though glad we played it" 

Now it makes me want to play it once to see 😃.  In my "mind" now it is in the Tobacco Road realm, you either love it or you don't. 

On 6/29/2022 at 5:47 AM, tagermo said:

Carnoustie on a windy day; they call it CarNASTY for a reason. 

Royal Dornoch - In early 90's when I first played it there was gorse everywhere. They have since cleared out some of the gorse so its not near as penal. Once again the wind makes it a difficult course. #2 at Dornoch might be one of the most difficult short par 3's in the world. 

Stonebridge - Pete Dye course fairways were wet and the wind was blowing and it played long and hard, the par 4's are beasts. 

St. Andrews OLD COURSE - first time I played on the front nine I thought whats the big deal this is not that hard, the caddy must have read my mind because he says wait until the back nine when the wind picks up off the water. It was a totally different course. 

Shot a nice 71 the first and only time I ever had the pleasure of playing The Old Course. I'll never forget it.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

It’s definitely a test, but it’s fair. You’re not going to scrape it around there. Honestly, I’m sure when MacKenzie designed it he never thought they would keep the greens at the speed they do. I wonder what cross camber fwys they are talking about? The 11th hole does have a camber where the ball is above your feet, but the approach doesn’t have to be a fade. Then there is a split fwy on 14 with an upper and lower section where a ball may get stuck on a slope I guess. But the key is around the greens. There are some spots where you could struggle to keep a bunker shot on the green. MacKenzie was known to design a course to test every part of the game. Pasatiempo is one of his best, but familiarity certainly helps. I try to recommend a caddie for the first round there.

7 hours ago, flognut said:

when the wind is up at 20mph or more it is difficult. calm not so much i hear. but ive never played it in calm weather

i played it two days ago when it was 78 and sunny with little to no wind. definitely not a tough course in calm conditions. 

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

... I played Sandpiper in Santa Barbara right behind a Pac 10 year end tournament. Right along the ocean with winds around 20-25 and the greens running at 13. The round took a little over 5 hours and I rolled 3 putts off the green when putting from above the hole and I barely touched them. 18th is a 181 yd par 3 and we kept seeing excellent golfers coming up short of the green with a front pin and wondered how so many could miss short. Not hit on and roll off, just land short. Once we got on the course we understood they would rather chip up the slope than chance being above the hole as their next shot would be off the green in front anyway. 

.. Play it again a year later with normal green speeds and a slight breeze and it was a different golf course. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I played Pine Valley  a few times in 1977-1980.  Caddied there as well.  It was my summer job while on break from school.  It was 3 miles from my home and I would walk there as a kid & teenager.  My uncle was a caddie as well.  My parents were friends with the higher-ups at the club.  When I caddied there, less than almost nobody broke 80.  We are talking great players as well, just got chewed up by all the hazards.  The forced carries & tight fairways are punishing.  Devil's a****** got a lot of balls & it was very difficult to get out.  The 10th is ranked in the top 10 of scariest holes in golf. 

"cut & pasted"

No. 10, 161 yards
“There is room on this earth for one Pine Valley,” wrote Peter Dobereiner in Down the Nineteenth Fairway, “just as there is a place in the entertainment industry for the horror film, the ghost train and the chamber of horrors.” The shortest hole on the nation’s most penal course calls for an unerring short-iron shot to a raised, undulating green girdled by a ragged sand pit to the left; and by a deep, cone-shaped pot bunker at the front right corner. This is the “Devil’s a******.” The only escape is backwards.

Byron Nelson played Gene Littler there in 1962 & it was televised by Shell's Wonderful World of Golf.  Nelson shot a 74 & Littler shot a 76.  There is no other course that rivals it's difficulty.  Tucked away in Clementon, NJ it is rated the world's greatest golf course by many of golf's journalists & publications.  I know the course well.  It has a rating of par 77.  The slope is 155.  Of course there was no slope ratings back then. It was a great time back then.  Saw & experienced things about golf I will never forget.  

Edited by sandpounder
correction

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Oban Devotion 4 3flex

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 3W 13.5*

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 5W 19*

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue Hybrid 3H 19.5*

TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19*, 22*, 25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 3:25 PM, Jim53 said:

Fuego Maya in Antigua, Guatemala. Well it was anyway, it go buried when the volcano erupted. It was a Pete Dye Course and just crazy hard, we were walking up the 2nd hole I believe and the ground was shaking. It was serverly uphill and the green was a flat top the rejected balls back down the hill, I hit 4 shots that went back further by me each time from 100 yds. 

Beautiful place, the volcano was smoking that day and blew about a year later. That hole was a straight shot down the mountain and the club house was at the bottom, its all gone now.

Wow, I've been there 3 different times (trying to learn Spanish for my job) and didn't know there was a course there. But the last time I was there was in the late 90's, A very special place, 

On 7/15/2022 at 8:49 AM, Chanceman said:

I have a friend who played PV and scored like 85 and he’s no Tiger. Maybe the back tees are tougher.

Friend of mine who has been as good as +3 shot 76 there and told the person who invited him it wasn't as hard as he was told. He hasn't been invited back since the mid 80s.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, DArnie said:

Wow, I've been there 3 different times (trying to learn Spanish for my job) and didn't know there was a course there. But the last time I was there was in the late 90's, A very special place, 

Sadly it is not there any longer, the course was completely destroyed.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

Two courses that come to mind are Blackwolf Run @ Whistling Straits and also the Bear (Nicklaus Course) at the Grand Traverse Resort in Traverse City Michigan.

Both great courses but extremely difficult for the average weekend warrior like myself.

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Played Royal Dornoch a couple weeks ago in 30-40mph winds. My caddie, an ex-club champion there, apologized and said he wouldn't tee it up in those winds. Would love to play it in calmer conditions but didn't get the chance. Nicklaus called the par 3 #2 the shortest par 5 on the planet and, after playing it, I think he was serious.

Dubsdread at Cog Hill Lemont IL.  Played the Monday after the Western Open in the late 90's(Twice).  I was a 6 Capper and didn't break 100.  Greens were like glass(and were not cut on Monday) and the rough had not been cut in 10 days.  Hit a wood from a decent lie on the edge of the rough.  Hit it pretty solid and flew it 75 yds. Boy was that fun!

On 7/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, hammergolf said:

It’s definitely a test, but it’s fair. You’re not going to scrape it around there. Honestly, I’m sure when MacKenzie designed it he never thought they would keep the greens at the speed they do. I wonder what cross camber fwys they are talking about? The 11th hole does have a camber where the ball is above your feet, but the approach doesn’t have to be a fade. Then there is a split fwy on 14 with an upper and lower section where a ball may get stuck on a slope I guess. But the key is around the greens. There are some spots where you could struggle to keep a bunker shot on the green. MacKenzie was known to design a course to test every part of the game. Pasatiempo is one of his best, but familiarity certainly helps. I try to recommend a caddie for the first round there.

I hit the fairway on 10 at Pasa and found the ball above my feet with downslope as well (I'm left handed). It made me laugh, all I could do was hit a punch from 120 out.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

7 hours ago, doc52 said:

I hit the fairway on 10 at Pasa and found the ball above my feet with downslope as well (I'm left handed). It made me laugh, all I could do was hit a punch from 120 out.

You mean you didn’t just aim it at the OB stakes left of the green and sling it in there??? 😉 No doubt it is very demanding on approach shots. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 5:28 PM, BG5 said:

Two courses that come to mind are Blackwolf Run @ Whistling Straits and also the Bear (Nicklaus Course) at the Grand Traverse Resort in Traverse City Michigan.

Both great courses but extremely difficult for the average weekend warrior like myself.

While I certainly haven't played a bunch of courses all over the place, I recently played Meadow Valleys at Blackwolf Run, and it was a very difficult course, especially with the wind. Some of the fastest and most difficult greens I've ever played on.

The Plantation course at Kapalua comes to mind as well. That course sure did humble me as an extremely average golfer, especially within the context of Cam Smith going 34-under at the Sentry back in January!

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* | Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red 5S

Callaway Mavrik 5W 18* | Project X Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4H 20* | Fujikura Vista Pro 55 Regular

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 105 S300 (+1", 1* up)

Mizuno T22 49* | Dynamic Gold 105 S300 (+1", 1* up)

Mizuno T22 54* and 59* | Dynamic Gold 120 S300 (+1", 1* up)

Bettinardi 2017 SS28 Armlock, cut down to 37" | Rosemark 1.52 NEO Stealth Tour Grip

Hardest course I've ever played was a little 9 hole track in St. George Utah called Dixie Red Hills, owned by the city.  This was supposed to be the easiest course out of the 8 or so that I played on my recent golf trip which was exhausting because of the constant heat and humidity we've been experiencing out here.

This par 34 course played much longer than the scorecard showed and playing from the tips and playing without a cart was a mistake I made that I'll never forget as the heat and humidity got to me physically in brutal fashion.  The ball hardly ever traveled more than 200 yards off the tee even when I struck it solid because the heavy damp air kept it short.  But the key as to why this supposedly "easy" course was so difficult was the severe doglegs on about 5 of the 9 holes, almost all of the par 4's and 5's.

The doglegs were so severe that my 2nd shot always forced me to carry the trees guarding the corner of the dogleg.  Tall trees.  Trees that would require me to hit a lob wedge to hit over them but I never had lob wedge into the green, it was always at least a 7 iron and I can't hit a 7 iron high enough to clear the trees and reach the green or close to the green.  So what was I to do??  Hit a Tiger-like massive slice or massive hook to go around them?  I don't have those shots in my bag.  So I was forced to play every par 4 like a par 5.  I also had bad luck losing balls in the heavy rough due to not hitting it straight enough and due to being so exhausted by the relentless heat and humidity.

Hardest 9 holes I've ever played.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 5:45 AM, zingbust said:

Hardest course I've ever played was a little 9 hole track in St. George Utah called Dixie Red Hills, owned by the city.  This was supposed to be the easiest course out of the 8 or so that I played on my recent golf trip which was exhausting because of the constant heat and humidity we've been experiencing out here.

This par 34 course played much longer than the scorecard showed and playing from the tips and playing without a cart was a mistake I made that I'll never forget as the heat and humidity got to me physically in brutal fashion.  The ball hardly ever traveled more than 200 yards off the tee even when I struck it solid because the heavy damp air kept it short.  But the key as to why this supposedly "easy" course was so difficult was the severe doglegs on about 5 of the 9 holes, almost all of the par 4's and 5's.

The doglegs were so severe that my 2nd shot always forced me to carry the trees guarding the corner of the dogleg.  Tall trees.  Trees that would require me to hit a lob wedge to hit over them but I never had lob wedge into the green, it was always at least a 7 iron and I can't hit a 7 iron high enough to clear the trees and reach the green or close to the green.  So what was I to do??  Hit a Tiger-like massive slice or massive hook to go around them?  I don't have those shots in my bag.  So I was forced to play every par 4 like a par 5.  I also had bad luck losing balls in the heavy rough due to not hitting it straight enough and due to being so exhausted by the relentless heat and humidity.

Hardest 9 holes I've ever played.

Sounds brutal

https://golf.com/instruction/humid-day-help-off-tee-meteorologist/#:~:text=A golf ball goes a,by causing it to expand.

My opinion - The Judge on the RTJ Golf Trail.  Have never had so many good-to-great shots get punished like that.  Stripe a 3 iron down the middle, never find the ball.  Land on the fringe of a par 3, never find the ball.  It hurt.

And I've seen a lot of mentions of other courses I've played that I did not find as difficult - Whistling Straits (I just played like a** that day, could not blame the course), Black Wolf Run, PGA West Stadium, Torrey Pines South.  None of them stood out as punishing as The Judge.

I will give Valhalla an honorable mention though.  That was a tough day.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lurkinghobbit said:

My opinion - The Judge on the RTJ Golf Trail.  Have never had so many good-to-great shots get punished like that.  Stripe a 3 iron down the middle, never find the ball.  Land on the fringe of a par 3, never find the ball.  It hurt.

And I've seen a lot of mentions of other courses I've played that I did not find as difficult - Whistling Straits (I just played like a** that day, could not blame the course), Black Wolf Run, PGA West Stadium, Torrey Pines South.  None of them stood out as punishing as The Judge.

I will give Valhalla an honorable mention though.  That was a tough day.

Agree on the Judge.  

It started on hole one. Two players hit the shot down the middle of the fairway and it bounced off that center nob and it ran off straight into the hazard area.   That was consistent the whole round of odd stuff that left a bad taste for everyone. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Ko'olau Golf Club.  The slope today is 155 because that is the maximum that the USGA will allow, but when it opened (and when I played it) it was 162.  

The Ocean Course 79.1, 155

Carnoustie 77.4, 143

Whistling Straits 77.2, 152

Looks like Ko'olau Golf Club is permanently closed?  Bummer.