2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Unicorn Driver (By Design Based on CG, MOI) 🦄

joostin

Based on the spin results of the clubhead, I would love to see where the Sim's CG is in relation to other clubs.  

I think that unicorn area might be very difficult to find, clubhead shapes being what they are...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

These topics interest me as a QA Engineer because the one factor that throws all this off is my less than consistent driver swing. Which by chance is unlike many other golfers driver swing. You have speed, angle of attack, swing path, club face orientation, shaft lean angle, blah, blah, blah. I'm lucky if I can get 2 swings to be similar. 🤣

So you can design a driver head that is perfect FOR YOU. Or you can design a driver that's perfect for your swing robot. But it seems no two driver swings are the same. So the engineering principles applied are limited to the swing behind the design. That design MIGHT work well for you, but it could be a disaster. But for "Steve" it's amazing.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

17 minutes ago, prod1 said:

Great post - fantastic info. Where are the charts from?

The “ unnamed” forum.  Ask yourself what was James Bond’s occupation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

51 minutes ago, lefthack said:

These topics interest me as a QA Engineer because the one factor that throws all this off is my less than consistent driver swing. Which by chance is unlike many other golfers driver swing. You have speed, angle of attack, swing path, club face orientation, shaft lean angle, blah, blah, blah. I'm lucky if I can get 2 swings to be similar. 🤣

So you can design a driver head that is perfect FOR YOU. Or you can design a driver that's perfect for your swing robot. But it seems no two driver swings are the same. So the engineering principles applied are limited to the swing behind the design. That design MIGHT work well for you, but it could be a disaster. But for "Steve" it's amazing.

For sure.  Ooh you got me thinking now..  As an engineer who works closely with the Quality team, I know they say "let the data tell us what the process is capable of".  Well my golf process is for sure one with too much variation!  The equipment itself may work fine and be in spec, but "fix the process".  If you plotted swing variables and shot data I'm guessing they're not up to six sigma standards!  Varying already capable equipment probably won't help but that's where feel comes to play.

From the design perspective I do think it's necessary to push the boundaries of what can be done with equipment - even if that means small unnoticeable changes, hype, scoffing, and all.  That's really separate or secondary to what a person is capable of, getting a good feel of the club, and performing with it.  Which can be certainly be done without the latest tech.

• Like 1

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, HZ Black RDX 90 6.5 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, LAB DF3, Axis1 Rose. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Good post. I was about to say basically the same thing.

In my case, I cannot swing with a large upward AoA with any consistency. Sure, I'll hit the occasional bomb, but more often than not it's way offline. I'm much more consistent delivery the driver at level or very small upward AoA. So the CoG that works well for me won't work as well for somebody who hits up a lot.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I remember drawing up the same sort of thing when I first discovered the MG$ CG report stuff. I think I harped about it during the pre-release lead up to the M5/M6 drivers and its something I reference when people beat the "drivers are maxed out, nowhere else to go!" drum. I think I also said back then that face tech would need to make another leap forward to get there as traditional faces, no matter how thin/light, still eat up a lot of weight themselves and with their surrounding supports/welds. Weight that is also all the way forward obviously. I hope this is what Taylormade are exploring with this next lineup.

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Based on the spin results of the clubhead, I would love to see where the Sim's CG is in relation to other clubs.  

I think that unicorn area might be very difficult to find, clubhead shapes being what they are...

I was able to extrapolate the SIM's approximate position based on an MOI chart someone posted from GolfTec. It had other driver heads listed that I could use as reference points and it basically came out to being in a very similar place as the TS3, albeit a tiny bit higher and more forward. It sits really close to something like the Mizuno ST190 and the Cobra F9 with the heavier weight forward. 

And you're right, the "traditional" driver head shape makes this hypothetical unicorn zone extremely difficult. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

3 hours ago, jvincent said:

Good post. I was about to say basically the same thing.

In my case, I cannot swing with a large upward AoA with any consistency. Sure, I'll hit the occasional bomb, but more often than not it's way offline. I'm much more consistent delivery the driver at level or very small upward AoA. So the CoG that works well for me won't work as well for somebody who hits up a lot.

I have a near flat angle of attack. I tee it a little lower but I have gotten a much more playable drive now. I'm not getting much draw bias from my D type M6, but I'm not slicing into the woods. 🤣

My driver lesson helped a lot. I might finally do a driver fitting next year if my consistency keeps improving.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

To me, I target the rearmost CG, and the lower the better.  Realize that while those charts make it seem like there is a large difference in CG height, 3mm is only 1/8" which isn't anything in the real world of ball striking.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

The upcoming Cobra LTDx driver will have a CG back on the neutral axis and have very high MOI, similar to the original LTD but higher overall MOI. It's already on my must try list for 2022.

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 10:46 AM, Valtiel said:

I think I also said back then that face tech would need to make another leap forward to get there as traditional faces, no matter how thin/light, still eat up a lot of weight themselves and with their surrounding supports/welds. Weight that is also all the way forward obviously. I hope this is what Taylormade are exploring with this next lineup.

With you on this.  I know there's a long thread in the Tour and pre-release equipment forum on the TM 2022 drivers.  It would make sense if the TM Stealth is the next-gen of exploring lighter faces with composite materials.  Composite faces can only get better than some drivers that had them in the past, and would open different construction avenues.  That'll certainly help the ability to distribute weight closer to unicorn territory. 

t78es7e1cg381.jpg.fd529f23f3df4c4646f77e78c1ec2160.jpg

Try to move heavier weights low-rear by having more light materials up front and high:

JJI27_zoom_D4.jpg.5551ae795fd93bb7aa75679fd3349dda.jpg

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, HZ Black RDX 90 6.5 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, LAB DF3, Axis1 Rose. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

The problem I have with the CG/MOi charts from that site (interesting as I find them and as much as I wish they'd update) is that the theory has little relation to practice.

The Cobra LTD, for example, was lauded for its CG position. Yet even Cobra figured it didn't matter and went elsewhere.

Taylormade alternate between weight forward and weight back and provide convincing reasons each time.

Callaway, as another example, decided that MOI had no relationship to forgiveness. Hence the Mavrik had low MOI, but high consistency.

I don't want to pick on the Site, but the 'scientific' annual real world tests they do also have no correlation to practice.

One year one club wins, the next the same club loses.

The reality is that group tests tell you nothing. We all swing differently and react differently to a club.

• Like 1

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

The unicorn driver you are describing (highest MOI, lowest COG) is not going to be maximized for distance, but rather be easy to launch, have more consistent spin, more neutral ball flight. If that is your main goal, just get a 12 or 14 degree driver. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

We all have to remember that even unicorn clubs are still golfer specific to a point. IMHO, MOI is about the only universal spec that is similar for everyone. Everything else varies depending on the golfer, especially loft.

I play the LTD Pro, Speedzone, ST180 and ST190. All perform very well for me. I have also hit the Ping G offerings and they also perform well for me (just fugly to my eye). I like the low and deep COG because I find it penetrates the wind better and I play regardless of weather most of the time.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

5 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

The unicorn driver you are describing (highest MOI, lowest COG) is not going to be maximized for distance, but rather be easy to launch, have more consistent spin, more neutral ball flight. If that is your main goal, just get a 12 or 14 degree driver. 

4 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

I'm not sure I could agree with this statement at all.  Why would I want to take a 12-14 degree driver that has a consistent spin of 3800 RPM and costs me 25 yards when I could have a driver that offers me consistent spin at 2100 RPM, has a low and deep CG and a high MOI?  From a design point of view, It's actually easier to get the center of gravity on or below the neutral axis as you lower the loft.  If you have a center of gravity that is further back, you can play a lower loft that still launches high and you'd get extra ball speed from a flatter face making impact on the ball.  The further back and lower CG also reduce the twist on an off center hit and give you better dispersion.  

Bottom line is there are way more considerations that can give you a driver that's maximized for distance AND still optimize you for launch angle, spin, etc.  

Agreed. There are many differences between the hypothetical unicorn driver here and a 12-14* driver. The first is spin as mentioned, you would need to ALWAYS hit high on the face while also presenting less dynamic loft (forward shaft lean) to launch the high lofted driver in a decent window if you have any amount of speed. Second is efficiency since additional loft will start to impact smash factor. Third is ironically consistency since there is no guarantee that a higher lofted driver will be more consistent. Without the benefits of high MOI, the spin window for the high lofted driver would still be volatile with lower strikes spinning up too much and mishits losing distance more distance. 

The benefits of the unicorn highest MOI/lowest CG driver are going to be related to efficiency and ease of achieving more ideal launch conditions. The higher the MOI the tighter your spin window will be on average, meaning you can exploit going down in loft to both lower spin and increase efficiency without as many of the drawbacks (difficulty launching, spin too low etc). These are all little incremental moves to steal some yards which would be left on the table with a high lofted driver. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Bridgestone 

• joostin changed the title to Unicorn Driver (By Design Based on CG, MOI) 🦄
On 12/8/2021 at 12:17 PM, Ri_Redneck said:

We all have to remember that even unicorn clubs are still golfer specific to a point.

Sure.  Just to clarify, by "unicorn" I mean by design (changed title).  Yes that unicorn design might not get along in the hands of some people, but some it will.  Some get along better with older drivers than newer ones, and are still swinging Aeroburner, Titleist 905, G20.  Some prefer smaller heads or not so high MOI.

The direction design wise is clear though and trending to the max MOI while keeping low CG.  Everyone pretty much has a lightweight crown and weighting at the back.  "Lower" MOIs are not really low anymore.

I made a diagram from the other forum's CG / neutral axis pic.  Hopefully it helps explain things to some out there:

20211210_090215.jpg.a8cb33b38c5bba4c877b7390fc3716e1.jpg

Strike is key, and variations in strike are much greater than little CG differences in different clubs.  But every millimeter and every gram redistributed counts in design.  They can up over time to significant changes.

Again, not saying everyone want or needs these unicorn features.  Some can use more spin, more loft.  Companies have to cater to all abilities and swing speeds.  But the design trend is clear.  Here are some newer heads vs a little older heads:

Screenshot_20211210-082957_Chrome.jpg.a2b3a4b88ea6b14b88f74c75bb3617ac.jpg

• Like 3

Love the toe views, showing the then-to-now evolution of head shapes...

• Like 1

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

A few more comments:

Titleist and Ping crowns have more slope down towards the back - helping to lower CG - vs the other big names possibly because they don't have composite crowns.  TM, Callaway, Cobra might have that in reserve for future designs. 

Adding weight forward does actually raise MOI, just not as much as you can raise it by adding the same weight farther from the CG, ie. the very back of the head.  Weight just has to be far from CG - toe side and heel side weighting also raise MOI - like perimeter weighting.

Max allowed MOI, vertically through CG, is 5,900 g-cm² +/-100, but since devices that measure have uncertainty percentages, manufacturers have to be on the safe side.

https://raptor-scientific.com/news/resources/usga-ruling-on-moi-of-golf-clubheads/

MOI units are g-cm² (or kg-cm² or oz-in²).  Anyone saying g/cm² is wrong... see it all the time.  Multiplying not dividing.

20211210_103251.jpg.d6da336caee4bbcf22e44dde122b9b08.jpg

Nope USGA, the game is still really hard!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, joostin said:

20211210_103251.jpg.d6da336caee4bbcf22e44dde122b9b08.jpg

Nope USGA, the game is still really hard!

I am among the camp that believes the USGA's comments on MOI have come largely true, at the professional level.  Tee game skill has been rendered considerably less important than it was even 20 years ago, much less the persimmon era.

• Like 1

My personal unicorn is still Tom Wishon 919 THi
MOI hoovers at about 5000, RCOG is about 33 mm (memory) VCOG is "just right" (cant recall measurement), , and the patentet face roll with 2 different lofts (GRT) on the face cant be done much better. No matter head i try, they cant make it better than this.

https://wishongolf.com/designs/designs-drivers/919thi/

• Like 4

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

6 hours ago, joostin said:

Sure.  Just to clarify, by "unicorn" I mean by design (changed title).  Yes that unicorn design might not get along in the hands of some people, but some it will.  Some get along better with older drivers than newer ones, and are still swinging Aeroburner, Titleist 905, G20.  Some prefer smaller heads or not so high MOI.

The direction design wise is clear though and trending to the max MOI while keeping low CG.  Everyone pretty much has a lightweight crown and weighting at the back.  "Lower" MOIs are not really low anymore.

I made a diagram from the other forum's CG / neutral axis pic.  Hopefully it helps explain things to some out there:

20211210_090215.jpg.a8cb33b38c5bba4c877b7390fc3716e1.jpg

Strike is key, and variations in strike are much greater than little CG differences in different clubs.  But every millimeter and every gram redistributed counts in design.  They can up over time to significant changes.

Again, not saying everyone want or needs these unicorn features.  Some can use more spin, more loft.  Companies have to cater to all abilities and swing speeds.  But the design trend is clear.  Here are some newer heads vs a little older heads:

Screenshot_20211210-082957_Chrome.jpg.a2b3a4b88ea6b14b88f74c75bb3617ac.jpg

I absolutely agree with your point. I was just adding a bit of explanation for those who sometimes buy what others rave about and then find it's not for them. Gotta know your game to avoid that.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I am among the camp that believes the USGA's comments on MOI have come largely true, at the professional level.  Tee game skill has been rendered considerably less important than it was even 20 years ago, much less the persimmon era.

I kinda wish they had capped driver size at about 350cc

• 2 months later...

Some drivers have gotten pretty close to max allowed MOI already.  But just looking at shapes that would allow ease of low CG and max MOI, here's what that might be design wise.  It needs mass distribution low, and distributed far from the CG in XYZ axes.  From a top view, it may mean revisting square shapes again 😳... at least it's accepted with putters!  Maybe we'd see TM with double "inertia generators" that's covered by a normal fat pear top.  From a face view it may mean an upside down shape, like old Adams woods.  Or a normal face that's more conducive to strike patterns that morphs to an upside down shape in the rear.  Mass distribution vs CG:

20220227_113851.jpg.c02b778849228578c5bccea83652bf75.jpg20220227_113830.jpg.e4afeb1c6ec65436ebed3caff5a0a328.jpg20220227_093428.jpg.eca124686fd93c5f0036b44e2444a218.jpg20220227_113906.jpg.fdb30a765a30d0ea50fe54129682b1f0.jpg

Shape design analysis of 9 drivers:  TM Stealth, Ping G425 Max, Callaway Rogue ST Max, Titleist TSi1, Cobra LTDx, PXG XF Gen4, Srixon ZX5, Mizuno ST-Z 220, TEE C722.

Rear weighting: 20220227_113645.jpg.ce918b07cc012930cff1ed15fec7f7f7.jpg20220227_113700.jpg.fd5f21ec62dc289e0bb5b144cdb27c09.jpg

20220227_113502.jpg.f7195d937ff8deed0bb6005f115bd5a3.jpg

Unicorn design would have rear weights hugging the rear skirt.

Top picks:  Ping, Callaway, TM for side mounted weights 

Face view:

20220227_113731.jpg.5f9197ab1270452f6ed8699b45ccfe93.jpg20220227_113716.jpg.ee2286d3736f149129d463850280429e.jpg20220227_113437.jpg.48862e9d6076f9560cc5e5588b90a970.jpg

Unicorn design would have mass low with a light weight hosel.

Top picks, hosel:  Not sure on adapter weights, but Ping probably wins here.  Callaway is stuck with a large adapter.

Top picks, shape:  Maybe Callaway, Titleist, Cobra, PXG, Srixon 

Top view:

20220227_113605.jpg.4cc8925337e920ff3e8554cde49f7f77.jpg20220227_113515.jpg.f05a504f0e59e0090a2bd87d627286f3.jpg20220227_140237.jpg.d40b565bb4b9c821f6a04ed8419f7ada.jpg

Unicorn design depends on weight distribution, but it would allow mass to be farthest away from the CG

Top picks:  Maybe Titleist, Callaway, Ping

Side toe view:

20220227_113303.jpg.a5bacb04c20cd98da0c7580cefe6a43e.jpg20220227_113215.jpg.3e688581657f45dcefbf63b6072c5786.jpg20220227_113331.jpg.cdf20376002dd1d7b0eba9b5d95565a5.jpg

Unicorn design has low rear skirt and weight with crown sloping down.

Top picks:  Everyone, though TM can slope down their crown more.

With the exception of their adapter, I like the direction of Callaway with Rogue ST over the standard Mavrik and Epic Speed where they favored aerodynamics over MOI, though they are great drivers nonetheless.  Ping of course has been a leader in forgiveness forever.  Their traditional high toe would help MOI, but not so much for lowering CG.  TM's light-weighting features probably allow for the most pear shape of all, but they can certainly morph the shape to lower CG and increase MOI even more in the future.  Everyone's designs here have unicorn traits, but I think there's plenty of room for playing with mass distribution and possibly morphing shapes a bit away from the norm to get even closer to unicorn.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mitchdoc said:

Well the Cobra LTDx might be unicorn as it is 1st driver to hit MOI of 5000 while having CG at the neutral axis.

So far reviews have been great in terms of distance and forgiveness.

Getting closer for sure.  I saw LTDx and Rogue ST Max LS were called unicorns by their companies.  I do think we'll get to drivers truly challenging the 5900-6000 MOI max while getting CG to or below neutral axis - with materials and maybe design changes per my previous post.  Btw the TS2 measured MOI just over 5000 and 1.7mm CG above neutral axis - not far off for a 2018 offering that can be picked up for cheap, which is actually why I got one, because of that chart!

But yeah, if designs can get CGs to neutral axis, why not?  Especially for high speed players.  You don't have to hit as far above center to get potentially favorable spin conditions from gear effect, nor as penalizing high spin from gear effect on lower strikes.

Expansion of sweet spots and high COR/CT areas on faces I think are just as important for Unicorn designs, but not as well known because no one has comparative data.  Newer variable face thicknesses like Cobra's HOT and Callaway's AI... jailbreak, flexing slots like TM and Mizuno... They've all been laughed at as gimmicks on WRX, but I bet if we see the FEA simulation studies from their engineers we'd see actual sweet spot improvements.  Their continued use may be testament.  It's clear when some design features stick around.

Edited by joostin

• 4 weeks later...