2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 923

thl9077

My local course (Western Australia) has a fitting day on Sept 1 and supposedly they're going to have the 923s avaliable to try.

• Like 3

10.5* TM M5 Tour - Evenflow Riptide 70

15* Mizuno ST200 - Diamana S+ 70

19* (@20*) Mizuno CLK - Tensei CK Pro 70

5-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC - Project X

50/08 & 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge - DG 120

60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore - DG TI Spinner

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

Srixon Z Star

I am in Tokyo, Japan and Mizuno had a fitting day here today at the range close to me. 

They ended up putting me into the JPX923 Tour against MizunoPro 223 and thought the JPX was better for me ... higher ball flight, better landing angle, but didn't seem like I lost any distance. Truly a great feeling club.

Only problem was that they had only had standard lie on the new head so couldn't really dial it in.

They said they don't officially go on sale in Japan until mid-Sept but they can take orders now.

hmm... thinking, thinking, thinking .... 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seaside65 said:

I am in Tokyo, Japan and Mizuno had a fitting day here today at the range close to me. 

They ended up putting me into the JPX923 Tour against MizunoPro 223 and thought the JPX was better for me ... higher ball flight, better landing angle, but didn't seem like I lost any distance. Truly a great feeling club.

Only problem was that they had only had standard lie on the new head so couldn't really dial it in.

They said they don't officially go on sale in Japan until mid-Sept but they can take orders now.

which did you find more forgiving?

was one thinner than the other at address? 

15 hours ago, seaside65 said:

no pics????

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

12 hours ago, Viper4225 said:

which did you find more forgiving?

was one thinner than the other at address? 

I think the 923 Tour had a thinner topline at address and both seemed very forgiving.

Mind you, I should probably say that I have gamed a set of original (version 1) MP-33 irons for the last 20 years. I love my MP-33s but age isn't being kind to my ball striking and I need a little extra forgiveness these days.

Most irons I look at now though seem like a shovel when I look at them from the top, but these two are not bad and both of course feel way more forgiving with my off center hits on both irons apparently going almost as far as my clean strikes (and none of the hand wringing I usually get!). Feedback was still good though in that I could feel where my off center hits were on the face before looking.

I ended up preferring the 923 Tour simply because of the loft and corresponding ball flight more than anything. Almost all of my fitting was spent with the Pro 223 but I am not a fan of the lofts being so strong. My MP-33 7 iron is 36 deg whereas the Pro 223 7 iron is 32 degrees, basically my 6 iron. I think the 923 Tour is 34 degrees so right in between but with a ball flight more similar to my MP-33.

I did also try the 225 a while back but too big a difference from what I play now to be honest ... from 160 yards with regular 7-iron to 186 yards straight off the bat... much too much for me...

Looks wise, I also don't know why they didn't make it look more similar to the 221 or 225 which I prefer the look of to be honest.

Sorry for the ramble... just my impressions, and trying to sort out my thoughts on the 923 and whether to place my order 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seaside65 said:

sorry.. I know I should have taken some, but the website pictures are pretty accurate.

https://jpn.mizuno.com/ec/disp/attgrp/5KJSS37106/

That matt finish was also interesting, seems like quite a different look to the 921 Tour 

They look really good.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

They look really good.

Yep. I would agree with that.

Interestingly their Swing DNA Analysis ended up recommending me to go into the same ProjectX 5.5 shafts I play in my 33s!

I was quite surprised, thought they might put me in something else but it basically came down to the ProjectX 5.5. or the NS Modus 120 X. The fitter watched me hit 2 of the other recommended shafts (I think a DG 120 Stiff and a NS Modus 130 S) and took them both off me after hitting 2 balls!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seaside65 said:

I did also try the 225 a while back but too big a difference from what I play now to be honest ... from 160 yards with regular 7-iron to 186 yards straight off the bat... much too much for me..

This is where I get confused.  Why wouldn't you want to hit a 7 iron that far?  Why would playing a 5 iron from 186 be easier?  The closer you are to the ball and the more loft you present the easier the shot is.  I hit my jpx 921 forged 8 iron 180ish.  I rarely need more than an 8 to get into a green on a second shot.  That makes the game easier not harder!  I don't want to lower the lofts so I force myself to use a 7 or 6 iron which is harder to hit than an 8.  Rant over.  Peace and love!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, reider69 said:

This is where I get confused.  Why wouldn't you want to hit a 7 iron that far?  Why would playing a 5 iron from 186 be easier?  The closer you are to the ball and the more loft you present the easier the shot is.  I hit my jpx 921 forged 8 iron 180ish.  I rarely need more than an 8 to get into a green on a second shot.  That makes the game easier not harder!  I don't want to lower the lofts so I force myself to use a 7 or 6 iron which is harder to hit than an 8.  Rant over.  Peace and love!

for me it's a combination of 2 things (1) my drives are usually 260 to 280 leaving me with not much more than about 120 into most par 4s I play, and often much less, and (2) at 120 or so and less I want to be hitting full wedges with plenty of spin. With a 186 7 iron I end up looking at around 140 or so with a PW but then I have to start finessing my wedges for anything much less than that. Honestly for me it is a preference given I have played with that sort of distance management for the best part of 40 years. Not saying it doesn't work for others to hit their mid irons that far, I simply don't really need to and would rather have a little more choice to hit a full iron shot at a shorter distance so that I can stick it close and score.

By the way, was in the Golf 5 store in Shinjuku (Tokyo) this afternoon and they also have the JPX923 for fitting. From what I have seen most of the big golf retailers here seem to have them advertised on their websites for fitting. I know this is slightly off topic but Golf 5 also have those blue finish Mizuno Pro 221 on display/for sale at 192,500 yen. 

Edited by seaside65
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, seaside65 said:

for me it's a combination of 2 things (1) my drives are usually 260 to 280 leaving me with not much more than about 120 into most par 4s I play, and often much less, and (2) at 120 or so and less I want to be hitting full wedges with plenty of spin. With a 186 7 iron I end up looking at around 140 or so with a PW but then I have to start finessing my wedges for anything much less than that. Honestly for me it is a preference given I have played with that sort of distance management for the best part of 40 years. Not saying it doesn't work for others to hit their mid irons that far, I simply don't really need to and would rather have a little more choice to hit a full iron shot at a shorter distance so that I can stick it close and score.

By the way, was in the Golf 5 store in Shinjuku (Tokyo) this afternoon and they also have the JPX923 for fitting. From what I have seen most of the big golf retailers here seem to have them advertised on their websites for fitting. I know this is slightly off topic but Golf 5 also have those blue finish Mizuno Pro 221 on display/for sale at 192,500 yen. 

Im in your court! Dont love the loft jacking - I hit the ball 300+ and prefer nice consistent lofts between wedges and irons. Look forward to trying the 923 - might het me out of my MP5s!

Hope the copper underlay gives it the right feel… was the feel comparable to your 33s? Better?

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

15 hours ago, Birdman101 said:

Any luck for lefties with any of the 923s?

Hotmetal and hotmetal forged. No Tour or SEL. I thought we may be getting the pros but I haven't seen anything

Driver: Taylormade M3 9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

Fwy: Taylormade RBZ Stage 13.5* stock tour stiff

Hybrid: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 19* Hzrds Rdx 6.5 90HY

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 HM 4-GW Modus 120X

Wedges: Cleveland Zip Core 54*,58* DG spinner

8 minutes ago, ssfranny said:

So HM and HM Pros will be this fall and both will be LH?

Yes, and to answer the other questions, Everything will have a LH except for the Tour and Hot Metal HL.   The Forged will be out in February'ish 2023 in both RH/LH.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

2 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Yes, and to answer the other questions, Everything will have a LH except for the Tour and Hot Metal HL.   The Forged will be out in February'ish 2023 in both RH/LH.

Well finally Voshall has heard the complaining from lefties.  I was disappointed in no 921 Forged

Edited by ssfranny
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 9:51 PM, seaside65 said:

sorry.. I know I should have taken some, but the website pictures are pretty accurate.

https://jpn.mizuno.com/ec/disp/attgrp/5KJSS37106/

That matt finish was also interesting, seems like quite a different look to the 921 Tour 

Sadly the offset is still pretty hefty in the short irons but the nice thing is they did add some differentiation from the 221 by increasing the bounce a touch - something I always thought should have been the case on the JPX Tour line. If it is meant for the modern powerful golfer a bit more bounce in a good call. If they toned down the offset in the 7-PW they'd be the best irons on the market. I really, really enjoy the feel etc I just find that the club ends up looking a bit closed (even though it isn't) with the little goose neck on there. Not something that is needed in the short irons. The top of the bag looks so good in them.

4 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Sadly the offset is still pretty hefty in the short irons but the nice thing is they did add some differentiation from the 221 by increasing the bounce a touch - something I always thought should have been the case on the JPX Tour line. If it is meant for the modern powerful golfer a bit more bounce in a good call. If they toned down the offset in the 7-PW they'd be the best irons on the market. I really, really enjoy the feel etc I just find that the club ends up looking a bit closed (even though it isn't) with the little goose neck on there. Not something that is needed in the short irons. The top of the bag looks so good in them.

What irons you have in the bag these days??

14 hours ago, littletimbo182 said:

What irons you have in the bag these days??

221 right now. Preferred over the JPX tour. 

38 minutes ago, capifico22 said:

Do the JPX lines have pre-worn leading edges at all? I felt like the 223s stuck in the turf just a tad more than my p760s

No they don't. Mizunos are great through the turf if you low point and AoA are in the right spot but they are low bounce irons and will dig a bit more if you're off. 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 8:02 AM, reider69 said:

Agreed. If I can hit the green with an iron that has a touch more loft and a shaft that is 1 inch shorter, that’s noticeably easier. I don’t hit a lot of full wedge shots anyway, so there is no big change to the short end of the bag. I may end up hitting a 3/4 58 instead of a 3/4 54, it makes no difference. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

2 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Agreed. If I can hit the green with an iron that has a touch more loft and a shaft that is 1 inch shorter, that’s noticeably easier. I don’t hit a lot of full wedge shots anyway, so there is no big change to the short end of the bag. I may end up hitting a 3/4 58 instead of a 3/4 54, it makes no difference. 

I think it's less about that and more about the argument of spin etc. Basically, if you're going lower spin (which the Forged model are), then you are relying on descent angle to stop the ball which is all well and good from a perfect fairway lie in the summer but no good in dewy rough. Partial wedges is easy I agree with you there. I think where things get tricky is if the strong lofted 8 iron is spinning at 6000rpm on a stock shot or something and then you have only 5 clubs (LW-9i) covering you from greenside to sub 180 yards and you're manufacturing shots with low spin clubs you're going to run into trouble. Taking any distance off a shot is generally going to reduce spin unless you're hitting a knockdown cut or something (which for some people is a very easy shot to accidentally turn over as your body will slow in an effort to not hit it too far). If you're playing the correct tees for you I'd argue you shouldn't be having 180 yards into a green more than a couple of times a round on the odd longer par 4 and short par 5. Even at 7000-7200 yards, if you're equipped to play at that length you should mostly be hitting wedges and short irons into greens. Therefore having the longer end of your bag bolstered with more forgiving clubs and making sure you have options from 150 and in makes far more sense to score well. 

On 8/27/2022 at 7:02 AM, reider69 said:

Just because it has a 7 stamped on the bottom instead of a 5 doesnt make  any easier. Have to look beyond that. A 27 degree club is going to perform like a 27 degree club no matter what you stamp on the bottom. Unless its just a purely mental trick for confidence purposes….

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I think it's less about that and more about the argument of spin etc. Basically, if you're going lower spin (which the Forged model are), then you are relying on descent angle to stop the ball which is all well and good from a perfect fairway lie in the summer but no good in dewy rough. Partial wedges is easy I agree with you there. I think where things get tricky is if the strong lofted 8 iron is spinning at 6000rpm on a stock shot or something and then you have only 5 clubs (LW-9i) covering you from greenside to sub 180 yards and you're manufacturing shots with low spin clubs you're going to run into trouble. Taking any distance off a shot is generally going to reduce spin unless you're hitting a knockdown cut or something (which for some people is a very easy shot to accidentally turn over as your body will slow in an effort to not hit it too far). If you're playing the correct tees for you I'd argue you shouldn't be having 180 yards into a green more than a couple of times a round on the odd longer par 4 and short par 5. Even at 7000-7200 yards, if you're equipped to play at that length you should mostly be hitting wedges and short irons into greens. Therefore having the longer end of your bag bolstered with more forgiving clubs and making sure you have options from 150 and in makes far more sense to score well. 

Good points. I should have mentioned spin. I usually do not suffer from a lack of it and I won’t play low spin irons. The whole descent angle argument is legit, and golfers can play that way, but I want the irons to spin regardless of steep descent angle. I want the ball to stop quickly. It all has to work. The z745 spin with a Rifle shaft is a more optimal fit for me than the ZX7. 

Probably why I often end up in a combo. A lot of short irons will be the same for me regardless. I do like a little hotter face in long irons for the increased margin of error. A weaponized 5 iron is nice!

But getting back to your other post, the key to it all with any head is low point control but also about how I get there. Can’t manipulate it. Working with a teaching pro, I leaned a lot about what I felt was low point forward and what he wanted — 1-2 inches more forward. Took many drills and months of work — better footwork and pressure shifts (not arms) — and my ball speed and precision both improved. I thought I was steep, and he said, “Your hanging back swing is steep, your good swings are not.” My correct swing works best with low bounce irons. I tend to like the MP heads over the JPX lineup, just a preference. I feel high bounce irons hitting the ground more than low bounce. 

I now believe most golfers will gain way more distance with the same clubs they have if they learn how to get their low point forward with sequencing rather than trying to steer it there with their hands. 

52 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

221 right now. Preferred over the JPX tour. 

No they don't. Mizunos are great through the turf if you low point and AoA are in the right spot but they are low bounce irons and will dig a bit more if you're off.

Edited by dmeeksDC

23 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Just because it has a 7 stamped on the bottom instead of a 5 doesnt make  any easier. Have to look beyond that. A 27 degree club is going to perform like a 27 degree club no matter what you stamp on the bottom. Unless its just a purely mental trick for confidence purposes….

Agreed on the stamping — that’s cosmetics— but shaft length is not and I believe that is the point @reider69 is making. If the lofts are the same, I do find a 37 inch club easier to hit consistently than a 38 inch club if the shorter shafted club flies just as high with similar spin. Some of these high-tech face designs, not all of them but some, can do that. It is in the short irons where it does not seem to make any difference. 

• Like 1