2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 923

thl9077

4 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

@Judge Smails If I might ask, why did you stay with the 919's? I am currently on MP5s and when I am flushing them its all good, but was looking for a smidge more help but still a nice club to look down on (as a blade user, slimmer toplines and straighter blades).. Tested the ZX7 last year and loved it, got the great feel, higher flight and good distance gains (almost too much) but was concerned about them being too hot... so stayed in the MP5s while retooling my swing. Going to buy some new ones this year or early next and was thinking a MP221/223 combo or the JPX Tours... or maybe the new ZX7 MKII. I was wanting to lean towards going JPX so curious as to your rationale?

So my two gamers at the moment are JPX 919 Tours and MP5s.  I have strayed badly this year buying and selling t100 and ZX7s.  I haven't fully decided what I think of the t100 (I kept one set).  At times I love them, and at times I don't care for them.  But, they are very very good.  The ZX7s are really fantastic, and in most cases I really do like the dual sole.  However, it's not for me in every situation and I prefer the consistency and simplicity of both the Mizuno and Titleist sole grinds.

On the issue of MP5 versus Jpx Tour, man.... I am not sure the MP5 is much less forgiving.  I even find myself flushing the MP5 5 iron more often then a do the JPX tour 5 iron.  It's a battle in my bag at the moment and we will see how it plays out.  The biggest reason I pick the JPX sometimes is that I don't like being "that guy" bagging blades when I am playing badly! That said, the difference in forgiveness is somewhat negligible, it really is.  That's more of a credit to the MP5 than critic of the JPX.  I do think the miss they offer is different.  I missed shot with the blades, which for me is low on the face, seems to just fly low but go reasonably straight.  Despite feeling and looking bad, the result is not that bad.  With the JPX my shot may look better but end up short and off target.

This is a great topic and happy to keep the conversation going.

• Like 1

TSr3 11* GD AD DI 7s
TSi2 15* GD TP 8s

TSi2 18* GD TP 8s

TM P760 4-PW DG s300 120

Vokey 50F, 56S, 59L s400 tour issue

Jailbird Mini CH

It was a good thing that I went to a store and hit the 921 HM vs HM Pro to get idea if I should go 923 HM or HM Pro.

This wasn't a real fitting, just asked to hit both 921 HM and HM Pro and they set them up with shafts that aren't what I play but agreeable to be representative. Also, clubs were standard length and lie, whereas i play -0.5" and two degrees flat from Mizuno lie.

HM Pro was much better for my swing faults. My mishits tend to be super spinny, and my spin was higher with the standard 921 HM. So for my misses, the HM Pro were more "forgiving" in terms of distance loss. 

Below was an example of a HM Pro shot. 

IMG_0660.jpg.d0a8be41c86e92ab178c587c73e9dde8.jpg

5 hours ago, dlow206 said:

It was a good thing that I went to a store and hit the 921 HM vs HM Pro to get idea if I should go 923 HM or HM Pro.

This wasn't a real fitting, just asked to hit both 921 HM and HM Pro and they set them up with shafts that aren't what I play but agreeable to be representative. Also, clubs were standard length and lie, whereas i play -0.5" and two degrees flat from Mizuno lie.

HM Pro was much better for my swing faults. My mishits tend to be super spinny, and my spin was higher with the standard 921 HM. So for my misses, the HM Pro were more "forgiving" in terms of distance loss. 

Below was an example of a HM Pro shot. 

IMG_0660.jpg.d0a8be41c86e92ab178c587c73e9dde8.jpg

I wish I would have hit the hmps like I did the hot metals, the pros just weren't consistent for me

Interesting they list a Hot Metal HL, assuming HL stands for High Launch.  Is this finally a game improvement iron without ridiculously jacked lofts?  I guess we will find out in about a week when these officially get released.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 9.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 4-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

On 9/16/2022 at 1:32 PM, dlow206 said:

Do stores have fitting heads yet? Saw the golftec pics a page or two back. 

I haven’t been in the office since Wed. But our Lead Instructor texted me and told me theres a Mizuno box in my office.  And I am not expecting anything else yet.   So will find out Monday 😬

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

6 hours ago, jblough99 said:

Interesting they list a Hot Metal HL, assuming HL stands for High Launch.  Is this finally a game improvement iron without ridiculously jacked lofts?  I guess we will find out in about a week when these officially get released.

Yep. Saw them last week.  Very similar size and shape to the standard Hot Metal.   But weaker lofts-32 to 30- for the 7 iron.   Obviously to help those who need help getting the ball in the air. But retains the face and construction of the HM.  So it will fly higher and further than the Forged at the same lofts. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I live in WV and the local Dicks had the new heads in. Already on the Mizuno cart. 

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

On 9/16/2022 at 1:52 PM, Judge Smails said:

So my two gamers at the moment are JPX 919 Tours and MP5s.  I have strayed badly this year buying and selling t100 and ZX7s.  I haven't fully decided what I think of the t100 (I kept one set).  At times I love them, and at times I don't care for them.  But, they are very very good.  The ZX7s are really fantastic, and in most cases I really do like the dual sole.  However, it's not for me in every situation and I prefer the consistency and simplicity of both the Mizuno and Titleist sole grinds.

On the issue of MP5 versus Jpx Tour, man.... I am not sure the MP5 is much less forgiving.  I even find myself flushing the MP5 5 iron more often then a do the JPX tour 5 iron.  It's a battle in my bag at the moment and we will see how it plays out.  The biggest reason I pick the JPX sometimes is that I don't like being "that guy" bagging blades when I am playing badly! That said, the difference in forgiveness is somewhat negligible, it really is.  That's more of a credit to the MP5 than critic of the JPX.  I do think the miss they offer is different.  I missed shot with the blades, which for me is low on the face, seems to just fly low but go reasonably straight.  Despite feeling and looking bad, the result is not that bad.  With the JPX my shot may look better but end up short and off target.

Sold my MP20 irons for a T100 set. The reason is exactly what you have mentioned. When you are the only guy with blades in your bag, everyone assumes your iron game is top shelf and it's not enjoyable to prove them wrong. Despite what Maltby says, I haven't found a huge increase in forgiveness with the T100 irons. Honestly the only thing I am still trying to sort out is turf interaction. I really like the cambered, low bounce Mizuno sole grind. The T100 grind is also really good, just different. Will be looking close at the JPX 923 Tours as a backup set. 

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Tensei AV White 65X / BRNR 13.5 - Black RDX 6.5 / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / ZX7 Modus 115 X 5-P, SM9 52.12 Modus 115X / SM9 56.10 - PX 6.0 / SM9 60.08 PX Wedge 6.0/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

16 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

Doesn’t matter what they come up with not talking my 223’s out of the bag. They are absolute beauties in the bag. 

Agreed. I cant get past a 44 degree PW. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 @ 10.5 Aldila Rogue 130MSI 60TS @ 45”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD

Mizuno STZ Max 230 15.0 MCA Kaili Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

3 hours ago, HIRED said:

Interest …  I wonder how bendable the tour is. 

if I could bend the Tour to 32 degree 7 iron I’d be more interested. Love the look compared to forged or HMP

2 degrees strong should be no problem, if the reduced bounce still works for you. In their suggestions for combo sets (https://mizunogolf.com/uk/irons-comparison-table/), many sets advise the 221 to get bent 2* stronger and they're from the same material!

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 9/16/2022 at 7:52 PM, Judge Smails said:

Thanks for the feedback! On your misses - the JPX looks like a slightly longer blade length... is there a touch more forgiveness towards the toe vs the MP5? Looking for a thin topline (new JPX seems to hit that) great turf interaction (most of the mizzys are) and then a bit of help on the toe miss (where I miss when I do).. 

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

4 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Thanks for the feedback! On your misses - the JPX looks like a slightly longer blade length... is there a touch more forgiveness towards the toe vs the MP5? Looking for a thin topline (new JPX seems to hit that) great turf interaction (most of the mizzys are) and then a bit of help on the toe miss (where I miss when I do).. 

I suppose it does but, really, my take on these two clubs is that there is not a ton of difference.  Again, more of a complement to the MP5s forgiveness rather than the other way around.

TSr3 11* GD AD DI 7s
TSi2 15* GD TP 8s

TSi2 18* GD TP 8s

TM P760 4-PW DG s300 120

Vokey 50F, 56S, 59L s400 tour issue

Jailbird Mini CH

I just did a fitting with and ordered 923 hot metal pros. Compared them to 225s. 

The fitting suggested 1/4” over and 2.5 degrees upright. I ordered them 1/2” over and 2 degrees upright on project X IO 6.0 shafts. Debating switching to 1/4” over but liked the feel of the 1/2” over shafts they had available for fitting. 

2 hours ago, benz5521 said:

I just did a fitting with and ordered 923 hot metal pros. Compared them to 225s. 

The fitting suggested 1/4” over and 2.5 degrees upright. I ordered them 1/2” over and 2 degrees upright on project X IO 6.0 shafts. Debating switching to 1/4” over but liked the feel of the 1/2” over shafts they had available for fitting. 

And how did they compare to the 225s? Feel, flight, distance, accuracy?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

10 minutes ago, boycer said:

And how did they compare to the 225s? Feel, flight, distance, accuracy?

the 225s are pretty dang good. Great feel to me but I’m also not as good as most WRXers. But I was hitting these perfect little draws with the HMP with how they were set up and I wanted the added forgiveness. But the 225s seemed very forgiving too. 

6 hours ago, benz5521 said:

Just so you’re aware, compared to other OEMs you’ll now be 3/4” over Titleist standard as Mizuno measures grip off, so your fitter actually put you in 1/2” over when comparing against 37” grip on measurements 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Just so you’re aware, compared to other OEMs you’ll now be 3/4” over Titleist standard as Mizuno measures grip off, so your fitter actually put you in 1/2” over when comparing against 37” grip on measurements 

Appreciate that and I thought maybe that was the case. I’m going to call them this morning and switch it to 1/4” over. I’ll feel better about it considering that’s what the Mizuno computer recommended as well. 

• Like 1

I smacked around the 923 Forged for a good bit today. I liked it and it is forgiving and long. Probably not as workable as something I would want to play and the head is a little too large but it was a nice club. My only complaint was it felt a little bit heavy in the head. Otherwise it was really nice.

20 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

So Mizuno clubs actually play a half inch or quarter inch longer than other manufacturers in their "standard" length?

Edited by stephenmatt

7 minutes ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

0.25” compared to most except Srixon which is about 1/8” longer than Titleist standard 

I thought Mizuno was the standard 😉

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 @ 10.5 Aldila Rogue 130MSI 60TS @ 45”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD

Mizuno STZ Max 230 15.0 MCA Kaili Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

14 hours ago, stephenmatt said:

I smacked around the 923 Forged for a good bit today. I liked it and it is forgiving and long. Probably not as workable as something I would want to play and the head is a little too large but it was a nice club. My only complaint was it felt a little bit heavy in the head. Otherwise it was really nice.

Nice, which Golftec location?

Yankees Suck