Mizuno JPX 923

thl9077

On 11/5/2022 at 12:05 PM, halfsumo said:

I will be back in Tokyo next weekend and since I’m now interested in the Tours, will try to hit up the Mizuno store and get some if I remember. Or, if I come across them in another city, I might get them earlier. I waggled the Forged and liked them. I was fit for 921 Tours lat year so only focused on those. 

edit: looks like there is a flagship Mizuno store near my hotel in Osaka so I can try to get some Tue or Wed. 

If you could snag a pic of the 8i & pw from address, that would be amazing.  Really curious to see if they adjusted the hosel to top line and leading edge a bit.  I’m one of the few that absolutely love the tours.  More than the 223’s.  It seems like the mp lines and jpx lines are kind of crossing each other more and more.  The mp used to be the pure cb, but now the tours are taking on that moniker.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

NM… just seeing the pics posted.  Thanks again.

The tours look fantastic!

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I think the Tours and the Forged look really good this year at address. My pics of the forged don’t really do them justice. 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Had my first round yesterday with the 923 Hot Metal High Launch.  Really good range session with them on Friday, took a bit to get loose yesterday, but once I did  I really liked them.  They are replacing my Gen 5 XP's  and they are probably 1 club shorter.  But that's expected with the loft differnce and shaft.   I had gotten these as a place holder untilthe Forged come out  next spring, so I didn't want to spring for the SF shafts that I have been using in my irons since. being fit for them.   

I did enjoy the height I was getting with them and coupled with the 2023 ProV1 (I'm moving from the current X model) I got some very good spin and stoppinig power on shots into the green. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I'm getting so anxious to try out the 923 line. I was talking to my fitter this week and he just told me to be patient and wait for them to get the rest of the line in. Just still confused by the way Mizuno rolled these out. But still likely to roll into a 923 Forged/HMP combo set. That said, will give the 225s a solid shot. 

And to give more context, my current 900F heads probably have 5 years of life left in them, if not more. But I don't swing the same at 42 as I did at 35.  The project X 6.5 shafts just don't work for me anymore and I'm anxious to get into something more appropriate. My 6 iron SS is now 86-88 versus 93-94. 

Edited by XHoop24

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

53 minutes ago, XHoop24 said:

I'm getting so anxious to try out the 923 line. I was talking to my fitter this week and he just told me to be patient and wait for them to get the rest of the line in. Just still confused by the way Mizuno rolled these out. But still likely to roll into a 923 Forged/HMP combo set. That said, will give the 225s a solid shot. 

And to give more context, my current 900F heads probably have 5 years of life left in them, if not more. But I don't swing the same at 42 as I did at 35.  The project X 6.5 shafts just don't work for me anymore and I'm anxious to get into something more appropriate. My 6 iron SS is now 86-88 versus 93-94. 

I don't know if your fitter/dealer told you.  But I heard it from Vosh on a podcast.  They decided to split the Hot Metal and Forged/Tour releases to spread out the demand.  They knew that Hot Metal was going to be over 80% of the orders adn itr would be extremely high demand.  So if they released all the models at once, the factory which is just gettng back to full speed, could be overwhlemed again and create another baack order situation on the Forged/Tour.   So they figured it was best to delay it until the intial demand for HM passed and they felt confident they could handle all the models at that point.

While it is tough to wait onthe Forged, I appreciate their forsight into avoiding another dleivery fiasco.  They are shipping most Hot Metal orders now within 2 to 4 days from order.   So they are currently in a very good spot. 

• Like 4

Vokey

My HMPs w/ PX LS 6.5s took 9 days from order to my door. Of course they came in today when it got cold & wet, so I only hit them on my Skytrack. After warming up a bit, I hit 3-4 balls with each club until I had 3 decent strikes. Here are the averages of those swings per club (6-GW).

PXL_20221112_004444138.jpg

I used a mix of Titleist EXP-01, Srixon QStar Tour & TP5x balls, so that will have some influence on the numbers.

Edited by ShakeyT

16 hours ago, ShakeyT said:

The strong GW loft fit right in with the rest of the set. Probably because its basically a blade style wedge & it doesn't have all the tech that the rest of the set has. If it was built like the rest of the set, it would have to be weaker lofted.

Same for me. The JPX923 GW fits nicely behind my 52deg GW and 56deg SW so I didn't need to make any wedge changes.

18 hours ago, ShakeyT said:

My HMPs w/ PX LS 6.5s took 9 days from order to my door. Of course they came in today when it got cold & wet, so I only hit them on my Skytrack. After warming up a bit, I hit 3-4 balls with each club until I had 3 decent strikes. Here are the averages of those swings per club (6-GW).

I used a mix of Titleist EXP-01, Srixon QStar Tour & TP5x balls, so that will have some influence on the numbers.

Great session! Very low spin but your land angles look excellent.
Those numbers will jump about 10% on grass in terms of spin, but definitely a PV1X could be a solid candidate for you outside!

Any idea if KBS $ Taper or C Taper will be added back to the Mizuno shaft options? 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

13 hours ago, cw1209 said:

Any idea if KBS $ Taper or C Taper will be added back to the Mizuno shaft options? 

I think they are out due to supply issues. So that might be a factor. In my fitting 2 or 3 weeks ago I was told that irons with C Taper dont even get an estimated shipping time because of that.

That was for Titleist, but I guess supply issues will tackle all OEMs the same

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

21 hours ago, cw1209 said:

We were told to take them out of the fitting cart.  So that doesnt'look good for a return anytime soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vokey

2 hours ago, reider69 said:

I was always a C-taper X guy and then got fitted with the optimizer and switched to PX 6.5.  The two shafts are very similar in feel and stiffness imo and I had no issues adjusting.

Hated 6.5 compared to 130X, I fit into optimizer 6.5 and dropped in the 130X and had much better results.

On 11/14/2022 at 7:31 AM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

We were told to take them out of the fitting cart.  So that doesnt'look good for a return anytime soon. 

I was talking to my fitter last week. He said he just spoke to his KBS rep/account manager and was told probably best case scenario is February/March time frame for C-taper and $ taper shafts which translates to much longer wait if you’re in the back of the line and just placed your order. Also noticed, Mizuno pulled those shafts off of their website. Only KBS Tour and Tour Lites available from KBS.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 8:09 PM, ShakeyT said:

Everything I see on Mizuno's website doesn't have an HM Pro GW. So how were you hitting one? Was it the standard HM GW?

Thanks. 

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

7 hours ago, KhiloD said:

Everything I see on Mizuno's website doesn't have an HM Pro GW. So how were you hitting one? Was it the standard HM GW?

Thanks. 

Yeah, you’ll only find the T22s in the wedge category on Mizuno’s website. The GW, SW, and LW are considered Hot Metal/HMP 923 Quad Cut Groove wedges and part of the set but by no means blend in with the Hot Metal/HMPs if that’s what you’re looking for. They perform fine, but stick out like an eyesore in the bag IMO. Almost as if they should be their own line based on appearance. Wished they could’ve made at the very least a GW that blended in appearance just like all other OEMs and even all other Mizuno models. Even the HL version has blended versions of the wedges. I ended up passing on the wedges and went with 4-PW. Will use money else where for a better looking and performing GW,SW,LW.

Here’s a reference link to the wedges that come with the HM/HMP set: https://www.carlsgolfland.com/mizuno-jpx923-hot-metal-hot-metal-pro-wedges

Edited by HarborMike
  • Like 2

Howdy everyone,

Been a Titleist/Ping player for most of my life but have been intrigued by the 223/225 since I hit them and love the look of the Forged/Tour models that are coming out. The 225 and the Forged seem to have similar lofts. Apart from the construction, is there one model that should/would appeal to a certain type golfer? Since the 225 is a hollow body I'm assuming I'd see a little more forgiveness and ball speed compared to the Forged, but I'm not all that familiar with the Mizuno models. Have a fitting I need to use by February and looking to narrow down some potential replacements for my T200s. Thanks for anything you all might be able to share why someone would want to go 225 rather than the Forged and vice versa. 

•  💎💎💎 8* Paradym playing at 7*, ADUB 7X, tipped 1"
  • Ping 425 LST 13* Ping Tour Black 7X
  • Ping 425 2HY 17* Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX, T200U 100X HZ Black, Paradym TD 5 Wood GT 80TX
  • TaylorMade Combo, 1U/1S, PX LS 6.5 
  • 770 4I, P7MC 5-PW
  • SM9 50.08F, SM8 55.11S, SM9 60.06 T
  • Taylormade Spider X Face Balanced, Scotty Phantom X 5s, Odyssey Ten Ball 

5 minutes ago, 70sinsight said:

Howdy everyone,

Been a Titleist/Ping player for most of my life but have been intrigued by the 223/225 since I hit them and love the look of the Forged/Tour models that are coming out. The 225 and the Forged seem to have similar lofts. Apart from the construction, is there one model that should/would appeal to a certain type golfer? Since the 225 is a hollow body I'm assuming I'd see a little more forgiveness and ball speed compared to the Forged, but I'm not all that familiar with the Mizuno models. Have a fitting I need to use by February and looking to narrow down some potential replacements for my T200s. Thanks for anything you all might be able to share why someone would want to go 225 rather than the Forged and vice versa. 

Here’s a great vid from AskGolfNut (it’s a 2-parter) where he compares the JPX 921 vs. MP225, should help with your questions and decision making. Not to spoil it, but similar almost identical results in carry/distance. Forgiveness varies depending on strike. He goes into detail on forgiveness comparisons depending on where you strike it on the club face. Enjoy!

@HarborMikeAwesome. That's perfect. Appreciate it!

•  💎💎💎 8* Paradym playing at 7*, ADUB 7X, tipped 1"
  • Ping 425 LST 13* Ping Tour Black 7X
  • Ping 425 2HY 17* Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX, T200U 100X HZ Black, Paradym TD 5 Wood GT 80TX
  • TaylorMade Combo, 1U/1S, PX LS 6.5 
  • 770 4I, P7MC 5-PW
  • SM9 50.08F, SM8 55.11S, SM9 60.06 T
  • Taylormade Spider X Face Balanced, Scotty Phantom X 5s, Odyssey Ten Ball 

3 minutes ago, ShakeyT said:

I'll say it again. The generic GW gaps very well with with the HMP for me despite the strong loft. If it were built like the rest of the set, the loft would have to much higher which would probably lead to ballooning.

Agreed. There’s nothing wrong in the GW in terms of performance including gapping. It’s just bleh in terms of looks and design creativity, but that’s just my subjective opinion. I may either opt for another wedge set or hold out for the JPX 923 Forged GW and bend it to gap with the PW. S23 wedges are soon to release as well. 

I haven’t loved the 225s but really wanted to.  Going to test the 923HMP and the I230 for the ‘23 season.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

8 hours ago, Mookie91 said:

I haven’t loved the 225s but really wanted to.  Going to test the 923HMP and the I230 for the ‘23 season.

I am gonna be trying out the I230 and the JPX923 Forged for next season. Currently have the 223’s which are fantastic but I have been in the tinkering mood over the past two years. 
played the same irons for 8years then past two new set every year.

The i230 irons have my eye right now 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

I am gonna be trying out the I230 and the JPX923 Forged for next season. Currently have the 223’s which are fantastic but I have been in the tinkering mood over the past two years. 
played the same irons for 8years then past two new set every year.

The i230 irons have my eye right now 

I’ve never been properly fitted, just hit what I like so I think I may actually get fit this time.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

1 hour ago, Mookie91 said:

I’ve never been properly fitted, just hit what I like so I think I may actually get fit this time.

I have been fit for my irons a couple times… but from a Mizuno Rep. I feel that they are just salesmen pushing their products. I am gonna get some numbers from a actual fitter that sells a lot of products.

• Like 1

Saw on Carls Golfland they have the 923 Forged for pre order on Jan 19,2023. Any idea when the fitting heads might be coming out? If I do make the switch I want to make sure that I get my clubs before the season starts. It sucks switching mid season like I did this past.