Jason Day chipping

CasualLie

Chipping and pitching vary as much as full swing.   Attempting to copy a pro’s motion in the short game can be just as futile as trying to copy their full swing.  We all have patterns in our full swing that should be similar to those in the short game - stricker  would not be heard of if he tried to have Sergio short game and vice versa.    So don’t copy , be yourself but do learn the basic of good short game mechanics and allow your pattern to determine where on the spectrum from stricker to Sergio you fall.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

5 hours ago, naj959 said:

I've been mulling this over in the back of my mind for the past couple of weeks. My theory is that if i can can reduce the feeling of head weight (SW), then Ill be able to swing the club more uniformly. Instead of feeling like I have to use the small muscles to get the head moving. Death move for me personally. Haven't decided if I'll try lead tape under the grip or jumbo grips.

We're all different - I went with the Ultralites in the Jumbo grips because I wanted to increase the feeling of head weight, I need to feel the head more so wanted the lightest version of their grips (my mediums weigh 50 grams).

If you try the JumboMax's they have a Tour variant that Bryson originally played that weigh 112 grams in the medium size (which is huge BTW) as an example. That sounds like it could do the job for you.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

5 hours ago, cav5 said:

Im glad you tried it though. I sure have too. What you see Day and Stricker do only looks simplified, its actually advanced, that's why they're on tour LOL. sadly can't be mimicked visually.

They are delivering the full sole to the ground without ever taking off or adding loft through the swing. Most people, even elite pros are doing one or another. Its a playable error.

J.Day also plays or played his irons 2 or 3 degrees stronger. In his prime watch him deliver his irons at full speed. No lean/deloft. Fabulous stuff. Watch Hogan videos too, no lean but more "active" hands. 

I thought I had this mastered for about 3 days once. I remember getting up and down out of the rough, short-sided, to a pin 2 yards on from about 30yards. The J. Day way was the only way to do it without having to flop it and I pulled it off. Ended up shooting 67 that day but I also flubbed a 52* from 115 about 70 yards LOL. 

The best feel I had for it was attempting to turn while keeping a beach ball under the water. The club will feel like it will want to hit fat but its just because of the added space. Unless that feel translates to your whole game its just too hard I think. It's so hard to get the proprioception correct.

Then again this game is crazy, you might be able to figure it out. Sometimes the words you identify a feel with have the most meaning in this game. For example when I try to hit a dead straight drive I think "cut" not "straight"

Brilliant post.  Been there, done that in terms of pulling off someone else's move and hitting a hero shot only to look like a cool trying to execute what should have been a basic shot.

Speaks to my point I don't want to be searching for a feel while chipping; it's random success at best!

• Like 1

I've heard James Ridyard describe JDay technique as being very difficult to maintain without lots of maintenance work for the average player.

Reminds me of the @MonteScheinblum Instagram post from a few days ago about being very wary of using outlier players as models. Most tour pros use more wrist hinge and a narrower arc for their pitch shots, JD is the outlier and therefore unlikely to be a great exemplar. Similar to how Matsuyama is the only player on tour with a dramatic pause...he is good in spite of the pause rather than because of it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/26/2022 at 4:17 AM, Rapidcat said:

If you want to calm your hands chipping or pitching, try some JumboMax grips.

I've been a crappy chipper most of my golfing life and put some JumboMax Ultralight Mediums on my specialty wedges a year ago and it has been a revelation.

Wonderful for pitching and deadly (in a great way) for chipping. I've gone from chunk and skull city to believing I can hole just about every chip. It just naturally reduces my hand manipulation providing a more consistent delivery into the ball.

I used to hate chipping, fearing it, now I love it, its become so much fun.

As always, YMMV but its an inexpensive experiment at worst.

That a great idea , I tried it once with a LW but didnt like the feel as I usually use the LW  for the higher type lob/chips using the bounce 

but lately I been using PW for the low running type chips  which is totally different technique and I feel maybe I should try the thicker grip  for PW as I like the thicker ones for putting  to quiet my hands down a bit 

Edited by Haroputt

3 minutes ago, Haroputt said:

That a great idea , I tried it once with a LW but didnt like the feel as I usually use the LW  for the higher type lob/chips using the bounce 

but lately I been using PW for the low running type chips  which is totally different technique and I feel maybe I should try the thicker grip  for PW as I like the thicker ones for putting  to quiet my hands down a bit 

Makes sense for your PW, I can't believe how good these grips feel for my chipping, almost feels like cheating.

For me - and its all personal and I have to say, I am a little surprised - the jumbo grip just works great for me on my 58 LW and 55 SW for sand work and pitches too, I can still manipulate my hands to hit touch shots but they're not 'sloppy'.

I originally bought them to try on a selection of clubs but they have just worked great on my wedges, it's like a grip manufacturer has made them specifically for me.

The relevance to this topic is that I can achieve the dead hands affect with grips affecting technique.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I chip almost the same way. I take club outside though and "cut" across it. Higher the shot I want the lower the hands go but all done with my shoulders and making sure my belly button is facing the target at finish...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

• 4 weeks later...

I still like the way Dan Carraher explains this. The sounds on this video isn't great, but you can get his short game series which is better produced. 

He doesn't talk about keeping club and chest connected like Kisner, but as you can see in the video he absolutely demonstrates this. He mentions keeping the hands moving along with the body. He doesn't use much wrist in shorter shots, just naturally starts using more wrist as the shots get longer. Which I think is natural and easiest to manage when you're not playing all the time.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, CasualLie said:

Anyone have any links to someone teaching Jason Day dead hand method?  Something good.  The TM videos from the man himself are too vague and the meandmygolf take on it years ago also seems lacking.  Is it that basic?

The best short game Tour Pro stuff I have ever seen on short game, by far, is Padraig's stuff.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

2 minutes ago, Obee said:

The best short game Tour Pro stuff I have ever seen on short game, by far, is Padraig's stuff.

Definitely has some good stuff, but lacking a few finer points.  Lately I’ve been going with Jeff Smith and it’s doing wonders.

But more than anything, what has helped my chipping / pitching immensely has been working on better body rotation.  Such a fine line between a proper release and getting too handsy, so I’ve been combating that with better rotation and so there is less time to get so handsy.  Along those lines, better rotation is helping with better path.

Now I’ve committed the sin of working too much on short game and neglecting my strengths - irons.  But that’s not too hard to get back on track.

On 1/31/2022 at 12:37 PM, Notashank said:

Chipping is just a bigger putting stroke. 

While I agree to a point, not everyone putts the same.

There's a world of difference between Phil Mickelson and Paul Runyan. They both did/do their thing exceptionally well. The key is finding what will work, consistently, and under pressure for you. For me and chipping, that means get the ball on the ground as soon as possible with less moving parts.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:44 PM, Notashank said:

Not if you have talent there isn’t. 

So you think a 40-yard pitch shot is the same as a, what? 200-foot putt? Or? What if the pin is cut over a bunker?

Trying to understand your thoughts here...

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 1 year later...

Very little on youtube other than the TM vids and a breakdown from Peter Finch. To enhance your own technique its worth looking at the wedgetrainer training aid which helps promote the steve stricker and jason day style of less hinge which was also recently featured in golf monthly and golfshake. www.wedgetrainer.com

Watch the Pete Cowan videos on YouTube with Roger Cleveland.  Pitch and chip methods simple.

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023