2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Why do parents travel and enter kids who can't play.

tiger1873

This is a Florida Problem in the winter.  Every year when it gets cold up north you see kids entered in tournaments they have no business playing. 

I am talking about kids who can't break 120 and don't know any rules.  The parents and kids are not serious at all but feel the need to play 2 or 3 day tournament without a caddie.   Why do they insist on entering and you think they would drop out.  They never do and still show up for every round. There is no reason these kids play any ranked tournament.  The parents would be better off just booking a regular round of golf and have fun.

People tell me that scores are high up north are kids out there playing in some places truly that bad?????

If you going to play a 2 day tournament without a caddie you sort should have the expectation they can break 100.  If your going to travel I would expect a lot better score but I am talking minimums here.

Edited by tiger1873

Your question should be why the tournaments accept these kids to play.

For people from north, it is like a vacation trip. Kids go to play golf tournament, parents can enjoy 5 hour free time at beach or wherever. Kids may have fun at courses or have some friends, that is their own choice. Why do they not book a regular round golf? Parents still need to pay the green fee and walk with kids for 5 hours for that case.

A not-serious tournament will accept not-serious golf players. my question for you is why do you want your kids to play in these not-serious  tournaments?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, machine_cat said:

Your question should be why the tournaments accept these kids to play.

For people from north, it is like a vacation trip. Kids go to play golf tournament, parents can enjoy 5 hour free time at beach or wherever. Kids may have fun at courses or have some friends, that is their own choice. Why do they not book a regular round golf? Parents still need to pay the green fee and walk with kids for 5 hours for that case.

A not-serious tournament will accept not-serious golf players. my question for you is why do you want your kids to play in these not-serious  tournaments?

These parents are watching there kids so it isn't free time for them.   It also doesn't matter the tour I see kids who are not good on lots of different tours down here.

Junior Tournaments will accept all kinds of kids and we see them down here.   Girls are scoring mid 60's so obvious the tournaments are getting decent players.  Some these players score 90-100 but still not serious at all.  I seen these kids in FJT, HJGT, Local PGA and others tournaments.

It basically winter and  when you have holidays.   I also think tours need to kick them out or at least have a cut based on score but I never seen this happen.  Not sure if matters anyways because you never see them again.

Edited by tiger1873

1 hour ago, cubuffs said:

What tour are we talking about?  If it something like a HJGT, I can understand as they aren’t the most competitive and only want to fill the slots.  If a kid is from the north who can’t play due to weather but is interested in playing tournaments, that is your answer.

It's not just HJGT it can literally be any tour out there.  It was worse last year but that was because a lot kids spent the winter with their grandparents during covid.    

The kids have no interest in golf but parents enter them into the tournaments and travel.

Usually your never pared with them because once you gain status they don't pair you with those kids.  But it shocking to see how bad some of them are.

3 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

It had been awhile but glad to see chapter 85 in Tiger's worrying about what other kids are doing. Who cares about who you are playing with and what they shoot, particularly in an open tournament? Go out, handle your business. The greatest tournaments in the world get backed up a times, if you can't play through that you probably need to go find a new sport. Either way should not concern you what they are shooting, particularly in an OPEN tournament on a developmental tour like HJGT that is welcoming everyone. Without those kids shooting high scores HJGT and other tours could not exist so you probably should be grateful they keep entering to keep the tours afloat.  

No one wants to paired with kids who can't break 90.   I said 120 because yes some kids up north seem to have a problem doing that.

The problem is Unless we are talking AJGA or a few other select tournaments they literally take almost anyone.

I don't see a problem with a cut based on score.  I wish tours would implement it for ranked tournaments but we will not see it.  The hope is someone might actually read this and figure out that if your kid just picked up golf go find a 1 day 18 hole tournament and play it.

33 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

No one wants to paired with kids who can't break 90.   I said 120 because yes some kids up north seem to have a problem doing that.

The problem is Unless we are talking AJGA or a few other select tournaments they literally take almost anyone.

I don't see a problem with a cut based on score.  I wish tours would implement it for ranked tournaments but we will not see it.  The hope is someone might actually read this and figure out that if your kid just picked up golf go find a 1 day 18 hole tournament and play it.

Come on don't be that guy. Yeah its hard to be paired with the kid who struggles but you have to stay in your own world, find your focus, and worry only about the things you can control, which is you and your next shot. 

Some tours do cut if you don't break 100 others don't because they like money more. Playing in more development tours it is what it is there. My kid has played 9 hole events with a kid who didn't break 80 (140 on 18 once too). 90 is the max score. Its brutal to watch and you feel for the kids. But you have to stay in your own lane. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

As I already said, tournaments need those kids to survive Tiger, they can't make their overhead let alone make money if they don't let kids in. 

If you are whining about kids playing with someone shooting 90 you really need to move on to another sport with your elitist attitude. Let the kids play. Just because the tournament is a multi-day doesn't mean it is an upper level tournament.

You aren't making this post to help anyone, you are making this post because you are mad and you are looking to gripe about something that yet again has nothing to do with your own kid. 

Hmmm...how can I go about finding some sort of non-existent Tournament inequity or a cheating allegation?

mr-rogers-neighborhood.gif

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, darter79 said:

Come on don't be that guy. Yeah its hard to be paired with the kid who struggles but you have to stay in your own world, find your focus, and worry only about the things you can control, which is you and your next shot. 

Some tours do cut if you don't break 100 others don't because they like money more. Playing in more development tours it is what it is there. My kid has played 9 hole events with a kid who didn't break 80 (140 on 18 once too). 90 is the max score. Its brutal to watch and you feel for the kids. But you have to stay in your own lane. 

We are talking about 36 and 54 hole events that don't have caddy's.    Very different from 18 hole events with caddies and events with max score on hole.   That what these kids should be playing.  Those are beginner tournaments and that is where kids who are starting need to play.

Some tours in Texas cut at 100 for 2 days and that is good.   However played a tour out there in texas last year and they didn't and the pace of play was crazy slow.  Everyone complained about a few kids that travelled they're Oklahoma.

In Florida the pace of play is usually pretty quick.  Some tours like FJT even penalize you if you get behind in time.  The problem is you get paired with a kid who can't play and end up with penalty for being slow. .

16 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

We are talking about 36 and 54 hole events that don't have caddy's.    Very different from 18 hole events with caddies and events with max score on hole.   That what these kids should be playing.  Those are beginner tournaments and that is where kids who are starting need to play.

Some tours in Texas cut at 100 for 2 days and that is good.   However played a tour out there in texas last year and they didn't and the pace of play was crazy slow.  Everyone complained about a few kids that travelled they're Oklahoma.

In Florida the pace of play is usually pretty quick.  Some tours like FJT even penalize you if you get behind in time.  The problem is you get paired with a kid who can't play and end up with penalty for being slow. .

Then you just complain to the tour organizers about the rules, and threat never to play in the same tournament if it happens again, see what do they say.

You are looking for competitions and other are looking for fun. they make you uncomfortable and you make them uncomfortable too. Just find the right tournament for your kids.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

The only tournaments that fit your description are USKG locals and you yourself blasted USKids as garbage in a thread recently. HJGT is by definition a developmental tour, whether they are multi day or caddiless doesn't matter, it is still a tour designed for kids to learn tournament golf. If you don't like that stop playing them and stick to FJT and others. You are literally complaining about a situation you voluntarily put yourself in. 

You didn't read my comments FJT and other tours also have kids who can't play either.   To be honest it not just Florida but I seen  this in other states as well. It just gets worse around here in the winter.

You basically saying kids who can't break 100 should be playing 2 day tournaments.   

1 minute ago, machine_cat said:

Then you just complain to the tour organizers about the rules, and threat never to play in the same tournament if it happens again, see what do they say.

You are looking for competitions and other are looking for fun. they make you uncomfortable and you make them uncomfortable too. Just find the right tournament for your kids.

I agree with this a lot.  Not much fun playing events like this.   Some tours around here act like they care but most them are all about filling slots.

It seems like before covid the focus was about getting the best field. After covid it is all about including everyone.  

3 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

You didn't read my comments FJT and other tours also have kids who can't play either.   To be honest it not just Florida but I seen  this in other states as well. It just gets worse around here in the winter.

You basically saying kids who can't break 100 should be playing 2 day tournaments.   

You have an excuse for everything.

Read through this entire thread...then read it again.  If you have an issue with the inferior ability of the field, register for AJGA only. 

Then, when your kid gets waxed in AJGA, start another thread about how unfair AJGA is.

Rinse and repeat.

• Like 2

@tiger1873 Both of my kids have played FJT.  100's  of events.  Neither has EVER gotten a slow play penalty from ANY tour.  FJT events if playing with a slower player,  the player needs to ask an official to put them on the clock and they will.  When asked they normally will not penalize the entire group.  I have never encountered a problem in FJT or SFPGA with too many people in the 100's playing.  Just because a kid plays poorly, doesn't mean they are slow.  Slow rounds are only caused because of an official or tournament director not enforcing their rules.  FJT RARELY has kids shooting in the 100's.  Also, FJT has NEVER taken more than 4.5 hours unless there has been weather delays.

The issue is playing in developmental tours.  Kid played in two HJGT 54 hole tournaments to fill some holes in scheduling.  Both were very well run.  Kid was paired with a 129 on day and shot a 78 the first day.  The kids with the 120 was not the cause of the 78 and the play was not slow because of the 120.  When you play developmental tours it is what it is.  Even in this event there were very minimal 100's.

What you are talking about can honestly be said about kids that average in the 80's.  I have seen kids shoot a 72 and are the slowest players I have ever witnessed play.  Have also seen kids that play quick, but take forever to walk to the ball.  Bottom line, you have to know how to play with slow players, bad players, talkers, non-talkers, guys that never shut up, etc etc.  It is unfortunate getting paired with those players, but is what it is.  Also unfortunate landing in a divot or your ball hitting a tree and going out of bounds.

Simple Fix though, don't play Hurricane Events.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

35 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I am saying I don't care what a kid shoots, if they are eligible to play let them play. Concept is not hard. Worry about YOUR kid instead of over analyzing every single external factor you can to excuse short comings and deficiencies you can't fix. 

If you want to be altruistic take their parents aside and tell them how it is really just drive, wedge, two putt and quit over thinking things right? The Tiger secret to golf success right?

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Haha 1

I mean at these levels every kid has to learn tournament golf at some point...and not all of our kids started really young. Every event we play in has been crazy slow, but so are the tournament rounds at my private club - where we normally play 18 in 3.5...so its not just kids. 

Let them learn. Get over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the event is open, it is open. Some tournaments state we want kids who shoot less than 100 on 18 holes average, and some don't. Parents who are into this stuff, look a little harder at what they are signing up for (like average scores from prior year, the field, layout, distance etc), others just think of golf tournaments the same as little league: You sign your kid up and if they suck, you are still there to support them anyway. Maybe those kids love the event despite getting last place, and decide that golf is something they want to take more serious, maybe that one event is all they ever do. 

If you are lucky enough to not get paired with the bad players, then I guess be happy that you aren't in their group. However, maybe the kids in the bad group had a great time despite their scoring, had some laughs and got ice cream. We got paired with a girl who shot about 140 one day, and it was a fun group. Great parents and nice kids. Fun way to spend a day.

If your kid played well and had a good time, then what is the difference? I mean if the inexperienced kids aren't there, then the field is 8 instead of 12 in that age range, it still affects the good players the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tiger,

Playing with less accomplished players is helpful in development, both athletically and socially. Similar to playing with players who are more accomplished.

From what I have seen is the players who are not so great and their parents are generally the nicest and warmest and we both maintain friendships with many of them.

• Like 2

My son has been playing tournaments for a very long time and I can't remember one time that we were paired with a kid that shot over 90. Let alone 120.   It doesn't bother my son if he gets paired with a kid of lesser ability.  And if it did, he needs to focus more.   To answer your question, these kids play in tournaments because they can and want to.  It should have no bearing on you whatsoever.  If you don't wont to be paired with them on the 2nd or 3rd day, then go low and be one of the last ones out.  

• Like 4

So I think in summary - the responses can be grouped into 2 main themes:

1. All of our kids have experienced this and it is good exposure to have them focus on their game and not let others throw them off.

2.  If 1 is a problem that you don't want to deal with - you can manage this based on scheduling and knowing the entity that you are playing events through.

Both of these are about having decisions to control the situation... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

This is a Florida Problem in the winter.  Every year when it gets cold up north you see kids entered in tournaments they have no business playing. 

I am talking about kids who can't break 120 and don't know any rules.  The parents and kids are not serious at all but feel the need to play 2 or 3 day tournament without a caddie.   Why do they insist on entering and you think they would drop out.  They never do and still show up for every round. There is no reason these kids play any ranked tournament.  The parents would be better off just booking a regular round of golf and have fun.

People tell me that scores are high up north are kids out there playing in some places truly that bad?????

If you going to play a 2 day tournament without a caddie you sort should have the expectation they can break 100.  If your going to travel I would expect a lot better score but I am talking minimums here.

We don't all think the way you do on this.  Kinda like me (3-4 index) playing qualifiers against scratch/plus golfers, knowing I won't make the cut.  The desire is to experience event pressure.  The more I do it, the more comfortable I am under pressure.  My niece does similar playing in events above her game.  Her scoring is slowly improving.

• Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX