2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Left Dash ProV1x vs Pro V1

scottleo

I was on a virtual meeting with a rep from Titleist yesterday and after going over my golf game, he had said he is sending me these 2 balls to compare.  Curious if anyone has compared these 2 balls?  If so what were your findings with driver distance, how they performed into the wind, wedge spin into greens and feel? 

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I can't speak much to the current ProV1, but the left dash is an awesome golf ball. Flies High and far off the driver, I have hit some of my longest drives by far with this ball.  Great in the wind and wedge spin into the green is just fine, around the greens itself it is a little low and clicky feeling, but all around great ball!

I play both balls depending on how I am delivering the club. The Left Dash will feel a bit more firm and consistently gives me about 300-400 rpm less spin across the entire bag. I will say I tend to get a bit higher ball speeds with the left dash as well. Both perform very well with the wind but I personally think the left dash takes the slight edge here since it is lower spin and has a lower chance to balloon. Was sitting on about 4 dozen new ProV1 but just picked up 5 dozen Left Dash to use for most of the year. 

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

I switch between the left dash, left dot and regular pro v1. I've noticed that the dash typically spins less, flies higher off the tee and spins more greenside. I've also noticed that it will carry 10-15 yards more off the tee.

The regular pro v1 flies lower, has a tad more spin off the tee and less greenside spin. I typically use the v1's when the weather is a little colder since the left dash is noticeably harder and needs more compression to work well.

If you can get your hand on some left dots, they truly are a great ball if you're looking for a softer ball with low launch, yet better spin around the greens. Rumor is that next years v1's will adopt some of the characteristics of the left dot.

• Like 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

thanks for the feedback, I am going to hit these side by side along with my current Chrome Soft X golf balls from last year and I'll post results.  

• Like 1

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I played 5-6 rounds with the -ProV1X last summer. I am a ProV1 player and have been primarily for the past 21 years. The -ProV1 around the green felt very firm, not to say Top Flite firm but really firm. Putting was an easier adjustment as it felt firm but not as "clicky" as I would have imagined. Mid and long irons shot felt solid with a great feel and sound on nice strikes. The trajectory was a higher initial but flattened shot shape, with minimal side spin for me, which I confirmed on a LM after my second round. Driver and fairway wood tee shots were about the same. I picked up a MPH or two, but nothing to write home about. I actually like the opposite end of the spectrum in the AVX for feel around the greens which was more important in my mind as far as confidence and control go. 

In all honesty, I know the kid in the pro shop picked up the -ProV1X by mistake when I wanted to try out the standard ProV1X. So it did give me a chance to play them to see what the differences equated to.   

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

I've played both a decent amount last year. It the left dash will be longer off the tee, spin more on full swing wedges, stop a little slower on pitches and chips, be harder, and fly high. The pro V1 will still be long off the tee, fly a little lower, be easier to flight with the short irons, spin a little less with the short irons, and stop a little quicker than the left dash on pitches and chips. 

I personally think the pro V1 is better in the wind because it has a new dimple pattern. The left dashes is an older one. 

I'm still not sure the extra yardage is worth the clicking around the green. It's not a subtle difference IMO. The first 2 boxes of left dash will be my last.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

I game the left dash and my cousin gifted me a box of ProV1 last year.  Left dash launches quite a bit higher and spins less than the ProV1.  It also feels very firm whereas the ProV1 is pretty soft.  I get about 10 to 15 more yards of carry with left dash so it's a little longer off the tee.  They are both great wind balls.  ProV1 spun more for me with wedges from about 100 yards and in which is what I don't need.  I like my ball to hop and stop, not suck back 10+ feet. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Left dash is very firm and very low spin. I feel not quite enough spin on short pitches.

Prov1 is soft, mid flight, mid spin. Prov1 is an all round great ball and fits alot of high speed players. I find it spins a touch too much for me.

Left dash is great for my game, but if it is cool out it is far too firm. 

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

On 3/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, doc52 said:

I switch between the left dash, left dot and regular pro v1. I've noticed that the dash typically spins less, flies higher off the tee and spins more greenside. I've also noticed that it will carry 10-15 yards more off the tee.

The regular pro v1 flies lower, has a tad more spin off the tee and less greenside spin. I typically use the v1's when the weather is a little colder since the left dash is noticeably harder and needs more compression to work well.

If you can get your hand on some left dots, they truly are a great ball if you're looking for a softer ball with low launch, yet better spin around the greens. Rumor is that next years v1's will adopt some of the characteristics of the left dot.

I also have heard great things about the left dot. But good grief - cheapest you can get them on eBay is $225 for a dozen. I mean, no golf ball is that good. 

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I found the z-star diamond almost identical for my game as the left dot, though this was only from hitting on sims. You can likely get 4 dozen for less than 1 dozen left dots.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

I recently did a ball fitting with a Titleist rep at my local Roger Dunn's. To my surprise, out of the V1, V1X, Left dash, left dot, and AVX, I was fit for the regular V1. I really haven't been playing them much, and play the Left Dash if I'm playing Titleist that day. As we had about a 15-20mph wind today, I was going to pull out my go to wind ball, the Snell MTB-X, but instead grabbed a sleeve of the V1's the rep gave me. (they also gave me two Left Dot's, woohoo!!)  Anyway, the V1 performed amazing into the wind, as good as the Snell. Hit maybe my drive of the year, not the longest, but considering I was hitting straight into the wind, I hit a low draw that just had the best piercing flight. My stepson bombed his drive about 260, and I was a good 40 yards past him. I have never hit a V1 that low, they used to go much higher for me, so I stopped playing them. I think I've read that they basically switched the dynamics of the V1 and the V1X, is that true? When did they do that?

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

I’m a big fan of the -ProV1x ball, been playing it since it came out. IMO it’s very similar to the old version of the ProV1x. Over the last few years I have tried many different balls/manufacturers and for me the only two similar balls are the -ProV1x and the Bridgestone B X balls.

The 2019 Taylormade TP5x was similar but the new TP5x is softer & spins more for me.

The ProV1 is too launch for me and the ProV1x just spins way too much.

• Driver - Ping G430 SFT 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW Modus 105 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

16 hours ago, gioreeko said:

I recently did a ball fitting with a Titleist rep at my local Roger Dunn's. To my surprise, out of the V1, V1X, Left dash, left dot, and AVX, I was fit for the regular V1. I really haven't been playing them much, and play the Left Dash if I'm playing Titleist that day. As we had about a 15-20mph wind today, I was going to pull out my go to wind ball, the Snell MTB-X, but instead grabbed a sleeve of the V1's the rep gave me. (they also gave me two Left Dot's, woohoo!!)  Anyway, the V1 performed amazing into the wind, as good as the Snell. Hit maybe my drive of the year, not the longest, but considering I was hitting straight into the wind, I hit a low draw that just had the best piercing flight. My stepson bombed his drive about 260, and I was a good 40 yards past him. I have never hit a V1 that low, they used to go much higher for me, so I stopped playing them. I think I've read that they basically switched the dynamics of the V1 and the V1X, is that true? When did they do that?

I think they did a switcheroo 2 years ago.  The V1 launches lower and spins less now.  V1x is now the opposite. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I think they did a switcheroo 2 years ago.  The V1 launches lower and spins less now.  V1x is now the opposite. 

4 years 2017 edition

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/02/26/know-the-differences-titleist-pro-v1-pro-v1x-golf-ball-equipment.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Left dash has a much firmer feel than the ProV1.  The other comments about the performance listed above are generally true.  The left dash is a great wind ball for me.  I have to play to the front of the green when swinging a longer iron, as it will roll out.  Chips also roll out.  The Z star Diamond apparently plays like the Left Dot.  I have played one round with the Left Dot and 2 rounds with the Z star Diamond.  These are both great balls, at least on early testing.

Edited by Mob

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

• 3 weeks later...

Finally hit these golf balls side by side in practice round sat with my current Chrome Soft X.  Def see higher peaking flight with the left dash, V1 felt softer, especially off the putter.  I have a milled faced putter and can def feel and hear a difference off the putter face.  I like the softer feel with the putter, may have to get used to that if I am going to end up playing this ball.   I did see ball flight differences in peak height, live in NY so swing is not grooved yet.  I did however hit one of my best drives with the left dash on a really hard hole at my club into the wind.  So far impressed with these. Haven't played pro v's in years, coming from Chrome Soft X. Playing this weekend and going to use one on front nine and one on back, will check back.

Edited by scottleo

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

• 1 month later...

I've been playing the Pro V1x, exclusively, for several years now. Last Fall I picked up a dozen of the Left Dash. They are the only ball I've played so far this season.  Compared to the 2021 Pro V1x I've found they are a little longer on good drives and by good I mean straight. A bad swing will send them just as high right as any other ball. I've also found they roll a long way, especially on the green. They don't spin like a Pro V1x. They fly plenty high off the irons as well. They are firmer than the regular x, but it isn't a harsh, unpleasant firmness. They're just not as soft. It's been cool and wet here most of the season, so I'm looking forward to trying them in warmer weather. I'm thinking I'll pick up some additional yardage with them when the weather improves. I like the ball and I'd trade a couple dozen of my stash of 2021 Pro V1x for a couple dozen Left Dash if anyone isn't happy with them.

• Like 1

Callaway EF SZ 10.5º with Kuro Kage Black in R flex
Callaway EF 3W 15º with Tensei AV Blue R flex
Callaway Apex Hybrids 3 and 4 with Mamiya Recoil Dart 75R shafts
5 - P,A Callaway Apex21 Irons w/Elevate 95 ETS shafts R flex
Callaway PM19 in 54º and 58º w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
TM SpiderX Navy 35"
'21 Pro V1x

21 -Pro V1x

Been playing the ‘21 ProV1 for the last year and just picked up a sleeve of the LD to try. Also, played a dozen of the ‘21 TP5X. Can’t wait to see how the LD performs. Hope it still has some greenside spin to it. 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Finally warmed up in the northeast and I put the left dash back in play. I’m reminded why I played it all last summer and was playing some of my best golf. The ball is the longest thing out there for me, plays nicely with my irons, plays with a little run out on chips and pitches (which I like), and feels great off the putter.

I haven’t put it up against the proV1 other than finding a ProV1 here and there and playing it for a few holes. I just don’t care for giving up yardage off the tee. As for the x, ProV1x spins too much for my driver setup.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:43 PM, OspreyCI said:

Been playing the ‘21 ProV1 for the last year and just picked up a sleeve of the LD to try. Also, played a dozen of the ‘21 TP5X. Can’t wait to see how the LD performs. Hope it still has some greenside spin to it. 

Played my first round with the LD. Wow does that thing fly so high. Hiitting high bombs off the tee even with my 8* driver. Irons fly very high too. Much higher than the ProV1 and TP5x. Did have great feel off the irons, but can get clicky off the putter (which I like). Short game spin seemed less than the ProV1 and TP5X. I will be giving them more time because the tee shots were crazy long. 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Much more greenside spin for me with left dash over 1X

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7

14 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Played my first round with the LD. Wow does that thing fly so high. Hiitting high bombs off the tee even with my 8* driver. Irons fly very high too. Much higher than the ProV1 and TP5x. Did have great feel off the irons, but can get clicky off the putter (which I like). Short game spin seemed less than the ProV1 and TP5X. I will be giving them more time because the tee shots were crazy long. 

It takes some time to adjust to short game spin for the left dash especially if you're coming for a higher spinning ball.  It's worth making the transition though.  Hitting the ball high isn't a bad thing unless there's too much back spin IMO.  I hit high knuckle balls with the left dash off the tee which is fine on most days over here in SoCal just so long as the Santa Ana winds aren't kicking up.  I will admit though that I have to play for a bit more roll out with irons though which I'm good with. 

• Like 1

Left dash is definitely a game changer.  I've been in spots on my home course I've never been before.  My course is firm and fast and the runout from this ball seems never ending. We have two holes with a creek crossing at 325 and 335, and I've hit into both the last month.  This used to never be in my mind. It's great most of the time but can absolutely get you in trouble when going sideways on the ground.  I love the firm, clicky sound off the putter but it's a transition getting used to the runout this ball has on chips around the green.  I hit a prov1 that I found last week on a short shot and spun it back a couple feet.  That was something I wasn't used to seeing at all and made me wonder if I'm missing out on anything. I'm going to stick with this though as I'll never be able to get used to the mushy feeling the prov1 gives me off the putter face.  I prefer to feel like I'm hitting a marble.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Peezy said:

Left dash is definitely a game changer.  I've been in spots on my home course I've never been before.  My course is firm and fast and the runout from this ball seems never ending. We have two holes with a creek crossing at 325 and 335, and I've hit into both the last month.  This used to never be in my mind. It's great most of the time but can absolutely get you in trouble when going sideways on the ground.  I love the firm, clicky sound off the putter but it's a transition getting used to the runout this ball has on chips around the green.  I hit a prov1 that I found last week on a short shot and spun it back a couple feet.  That was something I wasn't used to seeing at all and made me wonder if I'm missing out on anything. I'm going to stick with this though as I'll never be able to get used to the mushy feeling the prov1 gives me off the putter face.  I prefer to feel like I'm hitting a marble.  

You're not missing out.  The left dash has been one of my gamers since the beginning of the year and it pretty much does it all for me.  I only switch out to the CSX LS when it gets really windy here.  I was gifted a box of ProV1 in January and went through half of them and gave the rest to my cousin since the left dash is longer and launches higher with low spin than the ProV1.

I'm going to have to back to back some shots. I seem to be the only one who feels LD spins more around the green.

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7