2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Anyone ever take a break or think of quitting because of putting?

JermWRX

Doesn’t matter what kind of putter I try. I’ve tried them all. Doesn’t matter how I grip the club. I’ve tried them all. Doesn’t matter what my stance is. I’ve tried them all. I’ve taken lessons. I putt on a practice mat every night. I’ve tried using a mirror. I’ve used putter gates and other practice devices. Nothing works. I strike the ball so well. Hit fairways and greens all day long. Good out of the sand, and a very good chipper/pitcher. However, none of that matters because I can’t hole a putt. My lags could be 8’ short or 8’ long. My short putts are an abomination. My playing buddies know to never give me putts. Ever. Even if it’s 6”. It’s so frustrating, and honestly I feel like stepping away from the game that I love. Maybe just become a driving range guy, because I absolutely love striking the golf ball. Anyway, I guess this is just a venting post. Sorry. Lol.

I feel your pain, but not sure if I can tell you what to fix.

I had the yips really a few years ago. It was demoralizing. In our league rounds, it's official USGA rules We have to putt everything out. Other players would feel sorry for me. Often times a 3 putt was a 'win'.  I remember carding an 8 after a 6-putt from 20 feet. I tried every type of putter. Every type of stroke - from rocking the shoulders to swinging the hands.  Nothing made a difference until an instructor filmed me and could see where my right hand was twitching at impact. We switched to a claw grip and thing were much better.

Just my opinion, but a straight back/straight through method seems like the best way to take variables out of putting. Then it's all about making sure a putter fits your stroke. And that all the things instructors review (alignment/aimpoint etc) are good.

What did the instructor think your issue was?  

Edited by mantan
  • Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Its definitely the most frustrating part of the game because it determines your score. 

Learn to roll the ball straight, indoor or outdoor. From there, become a student of green reading. Learn the grass, observe the slopes and contours.

You need to learn to love the practice and process. If you love it, you'll excel (just from the mindset alone). A quiet mind over the ball does wonders.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

Doesn’t matter what kind of putter I try. I’ve tried them all. Doesn’t matter how I grip the club. I’ve tried them all. Doesn’t matter what my stance is. I’ve tried them all. I’ve taken lessons. I putt on a practice mat every night. I’ve tried using a mirror. I’ve used putter gates and other practice devices. Nothing works. I strike the ball so well. Hit fairways and greens all day long. Good out of the sand, and a very good chipper/pitcher. However, none of that matters because I can’t hole a putt. My lags could be 8’ short or 8’ long. My short putts are an abomination. My playing buddies know to never give me putts. Ever. Even if it’s 6”. It’s so frustrating, and honestly I feel like stepping away from the game that I love. Maybe just become a driving range guy, because I absolutely love striking the golf ball. Anyway, I guess this is just a venting post. Sorry. Lol.

Hypnosis is your best bet. 

2 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

You’re trying too hard… Let me ask you this, how tight, tense, technical, and cerebral are you about your ball striking? How much time do you spend hitting balls versus time spent on time spent putting.  In your post, I counted 14 negative words about your putting. It’s mental. Either you are not letting your body do what is natural, or you are overthinking the activity. Don’t make the process harder. There are only two things that matter with putting. Pace and line. Not trying to be a jerk, but you may want to talk to a sports psychologist about it. Sounds like you have become so focused on mechanics and fear that it’s blocking your natural hand eye coordination. If you can hit the ball that good in your golf swing, you have more than enough talent to make a putt. You just need to start seeing the ball go in. Literally just practice 2ft putts. After you make 12 in a row, move to 3ft. Then to 4ft. Don’t practice outside 4ft. The PGA Tour average make rate from 5ft is 80%. As you see more putts go in you become more confident. After you get 12 in a row from 4ft, find a spot on the green without a hole. Start at 20ft, then try to make each putt go shorter than the one before. Try to get to 12 putts. If you don’t get to 12, start over. Once you start to control your pace you will become a better putter. One thing is for sure, I’ve never seen a good putter who didn’t think he was bad, and I’ve never seen a bad putter who thought he was good. In the words of one of my favorite movies, “don’t think meat, it can only hurt…”

Well said….and I would add….pick a different target and a different goal.

Think about it this way @JermWRX…what is the putting stroke meant to do?  No…it is not to put the ball in the hole.  Your only goal is to roll the ball on the line you choose at the pace you choose.  So pick a spot behind the hole on the path your ball would go in the hole and hit to that spot.  Same as you do with pitches and chips.  If you are good at those as you say then you can choose to bea really good putter.  

So relax…..just roll the ball.

• Like 2

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I absolutely considered it. My y!ps were terrible, chronic, and maddening. Frankly, I got depressed playing a game I love. I have a condition called essential tremors and that most certainly didn’t help 😂. I really wanted to quit. 

The claw was a viable solution, and remains one. Having said that, an armlock putter with a claw grip has allowed me to begin to lose the horrible nerves almost completely. Once they ban the armlock (and I’m sure the USGA eventually will), I’ll go back to a standard putter with the claw. It’s the only solution that I have ever found.

Good luck!

WITB:

Driver - Titleist TSR3

3 Wood - PING G425 LST 

Hybrid - Titleist TSR2

Irons (4-PW): Mizuno Pro 223

Wedges: Mizuno T24 - 50*, 56*

Putter: Cameron '23 Phantom X 5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Just have some fun. Try playing mini putt. Even better ,if you have kids ,play with them and see the joy on there face just playing.

I will say, Putting is the worst part of the game but I like the exercise (walking) and the fresh air!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2  10°

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5°

Titleist TSR2 16.5°

Ping G425 Hybrid 21°

Wilson Staff Utility 24°

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50°F 54° S 58° M

TaylorMade Ghost Broomstick

Titleist ProV1

I've been where you are...actually quit for a few months as a junior as I was tired of having 36-42 putts yet still breaking 80. I've gotten better as my relationship with the game has changed...I stopped playing tournaments as much, more recreational and slowly changed my own mind about putting. I rarely practice now, and when I do, its usually no more than 5 minutes and hitting only 2-3 footers and 40 footers. Ill hit the same few putts on the putting green so I already know the break and get to build confidence seeing the ball go in the hole. I liked the idea above about putting it literally on the lip and moving an inch away. It sounds silly but seeing the ball go in, no matter from how far, does wonders for your mental state. I hit a few long putts, usually to the edge of the green, no hole, to get the speed before I play and my putting is no longer a weakness. Its merely average but thats astronomically better than where I was.  

A second thing that helped me was committing to one method for a while...I could putt bad with em all so why anguish over trying new methods/putters. I used armlock for this purpose for years as it was the easiest way to turn my brain off while putting. Im now able to pick up any putter and feel like I can make putts in pressure situations.   Hang in there, you'll get it! 

Edited by nino44
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JermWRX said:

So I have had my share of struggles with the putter. Matter of fact...I played 9 last week and hit 7 of 9 GIR and still shot a 42 because I couldn't sink putts. I rarely 3 putt though.

IMO, your problem doesn't sound so much like an equipment or form issue...as it is a reading greens? What's your normal miss? 

My best advice...and take it for what it is...I have only been seriously playing for 2 years..would be to work on speed and green reading. Speed is more important imo than line because at least if your speed is right you will give every putt a fair chance but won't leave a 10 ft comebacker. I try to have every putt end in the hole or within 18inches past the hole. 

Go to the practice green one day and just practice reading putts. Practice your speed. The same putt breaking left to right can be putted many different lines depending on speed. Hope that helps. It helped me tremendously. I used to 3 and 4 putt sometimes and couldn't make a 3 footer. Now inside 6 ft Im usually pretty good and I rarely have a lagger that is further than 2 ft.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

This is Steve Sax disease. Not sure the cure, but the eyes closed thing is a good idea.

One idea might be to put a ball literally on the lip of the hole. Tap it in. Do it again. Do it 20 times in a row. Now move to 2" away. Same thing. Now 4". Same thing. Get a mental image of the ball going in that cup. As soon as you get to a distance where you miss, go back to the very lip of the hole and start again.

The only way out of this is building a positive mental image of the ball going in the hole.

Chuck Knoblach tossing it into the stands when he was 10 feet from first base at Yankee Stadium. Rick Ankiel being able to throw a strike from center field, and when he was on the mound it’d go into the 3rd row. Crazy...

1 hour ago, Largey said:

Its definitely the most frustrating part of the game because it determines your score. 

Learn to roll the ball straight, indoor or outdoor. From there, become a student of green reading. Learn the grass, observe the slopes and contours.

You need to learn to love the practice and process. If you love it, you'll excel (just from the mindset alone). A quiet mind over the ball does wonders.  

I love practice!! Range rat. Chip and putt all the time. I love the process. The quiet mind is almost certainly an issue. Even when I’m trying to relax, I stress about trying to relax🤦🏻‍♂️😂

I shouldn't have opened this thread. Hits way too close to home. I try not to think about what could have been if I was ever even an average putter. 

• Haha 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

What is your stroke path?

What is your face at impact?

How consistent are you in these measures? Have you had them measured via SAM puttlab or quintec? 

I’ve tried to be straight back straight through. I’ve tried to be slight arc. I’ve bought putters that suit that. I haven’t done SAM or anything. Nobody around me has that. I could go to Hartford Club Champion a couple hours away, though. Maybe I’ll try that

1 minute ago, JermWRX said:

Or labotomy

Step one in the home lobotomy kit…🫢

image.jpeg.0dd687a192a3f8f194f3c3b875cbb208.jpeg

• Haha 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

You’re trying too hard… Let me ask you this, how tight, tense, technical, and cerebral are you about your ball striking? How much time do you spend hitting balls versus time spent on time spent putting.  In your post, I counted 14 negative words about your putting. It’s mental. Either you are not letting your body do what is natural, or you are overthinking the activity. Don’t make the process harder. There are only two things that matter with putting. Pace and line. Not trying to be a jerk, but you may want to talk to a sports psychologist about it. Sounds like you have become so focused on mechanics and fear that it’s blocking your natural hand eye coordination. If you can hit the ball that good in your golf swing, you have more than enough talent to make a putt. You just need to start seeing the ball go in. Literally just practice 2ft putts. After you make 12 in a row, move to 3ft. Then to 4ft. Don’t practice outside 4ft. The PGA Tour average make rate from 5ft is 80%. As you see more putts go in you become more confident. After you get 12 in a row from 4ft, find a spot on the green without a hole. Start at 20ft, then try to make each putt go shorter than the one before. Try to get to 12 putts. If you don’t get to 12, start over. Once you start to control your pace you will become a better putter. One thing is for sure, I’ve never seen a good putter who didn’t think he was bad, and I’ve never seen a bad putter who thought he was good. In the words of one of my favorite movies, “don’t think meat, it can only hurt…”

My swing is very simple. Set my shoulders and hips in my intended direction, coil and turn through. The putter is a whole different story. I’m thinking of a million things. How far back to take it? Path? Eyes over the ball? Don’t track it with your head? Rock the shoulders? These are a few of the questions that go through every putt

Haha! I’ve went through a couple of “ I want to Chuck this putter in the lake” moments. I have a few lefty buddies that we can rely on each other to to help with alignment and our stroke. 
I took a vaca down in Florida and played a few rounds with my friend who is now a PGA Teaching pro. Mind you I use to kick his a** on my bad days. He saw me putt and after missing a few holes he said, where are lining up? Fixed me right there on the spot.

Go play a round with someone who you normally play with and knows your game. Have him check you out. It’s the little things. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra RAD Speed 9  Fuji Motore F1 6X

3 Wood: Taylor Made Sim 2 Max steel 3 wood  Ventus blue 6 X

Irons: Nike V ProCombo 2-PW PX 6.5 LZ

Wedges: Titleist  Volkey SM8 TT DG S400 52,56,60

Putter: Bettinardi BB2 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

6 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I’ve tried to be straight back straight through. I’ve tried to be slight arc. I’ve bought putters that suit that. I haven’t done SAM or anything. Nobody around me has that. I could go to Hartford Club Champion a couple hours away, though. Maybe I’ll try that

You seem to be a lot like me in that you're comfortable (or driven to) trying any avenue to be better. But you're doing it without data.

I suggest you go get on Sam puttlab and get data on consistency of your sbst and slight arc strokes. Get to know what you do well and what you don't. Get the results and then post in here. We can then narrow in on what stroke you should commit to, drills to help with issues with that stroke, and the correct putter setup.

Get data and go from there. No more tinkering without data...

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So I have had my share of struggles with the putter. Matter of fact...I played 9 last week and hit 7 of 9 GIR and still shot a 42 because I couldn't sink putts. I rarely 3 putt though.

IMO, your problem doesn't sound so much like an equipment or form issue...as it is a reading greens? What's your normal miss? 

My best advice...and take it for what it is...I have only been seriously playing for 2 years..would be to work on speed and green reading. Speed is more important imo than line because at least if your speed is right you will give every putt a fair chance but won't leave a 10 ft comebacker. I try to have every putt end in the hole or within 18inches past the hole. 

Go to the practice green one day and just practice reading putts. Practice your speed. The same putt breaking left to right can be putted many different lines depending on speed. Hope that helps. It helped me tremendously. I used to 3 and 4 putt sometimes and couldn't make a 3 footer. Now inside 6 ft Im usually pretty good and I rarely have a lagger that is further than 2 ft.

9 last night with a buddy. Hit 7 greens. 4 putted once. 3 putted 5 times. 2 putted twice. 1 putted once.

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Love Bull Durham! “Women don’t get wooly, Meat. Women get weary”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mantan said:

I feel your pain, but not sure if I can tell you what to fix.

I had the yips really a few years ago. It was demoralizing. In our league rounds, it's official USGA rules We have to putt everything out. Other players would feel sorry for me. Often times a 3 putt was a 'win'.  I remember carding an 8 after a 6-putt from 20 feet. I tried every type of putter. Every type of stroke - from rocking the shoulders to swinging the hands.  Nothing made a difference until an instructor filmed me and could see where my right hand was twitching at impact. We switched to a claw grip and thing were much better.

Just my opinion, but a straight back/straight through method seems like the best way to take variables out of putting. Then it's all about making sure a putter fits your stroke. And that all the things instructors review (alignment/aimpoint etc) are good.

What did the instructor think your issue was?  

I like the idea of an instructor filming me. I’ve done it myself, but I can’t see anything from an objective standpoint. Thanks!

2 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Perfect response - the same two key points leaped out at me.

1. The poor fellow had about a dozen depressing swing thoughts in a single post - if I went to a course and lined up putts with that massive thunderstorm of negativity crashing through my head, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't sink anything. While a lot of golf is psychological, most clubs also require athleticism. Swing mechanics matter. But putting, IMO, is about 5% physical and 95% mental. (Remember seeing a guy in the retirement community my Dad was in, that had a little putting mat in his living room - he'd actually sit on this little walker he had and putt. Putting is brain, not body.) 

2. This point gets driven home by the rest of the OP's game. He can hit fairways, good with wedges and even out of the sand. Means the athleticism and fine motor control is there (physically). People that are good at wedges generally do have "feel", and can execute on it. To suddenly lose that standing over a putt is pretty strange.

My suggestion (as well as that of several others)? There are two options. Either follow Shilgey's advice and drill a hole in your head to let the evil spirits out (😂 - apparently worked in the middle ages), or find a putting coach. Buy an expensive one. That will analyze your natural stroke, put you on a monitor, and get you the right putter (blade or mallet, the right toe hang, hosel and loft, etc.). And then give you a half dozen exercises to optimize it. 

This is a problem that can be fixed. It can be handled dude. Golf has become hyper-specialized - both the technology, and the instructors that can make use of it. You can solve this in six months, and put the final piece of your game together. 

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

When I struggle like that - I change everything. I speed up my routine. No lining up the ball. No pacing out the putt. no reading it from the cup side. I've actually been doing this lately and it is working. 

I literally will pick a line. Tell myself how many feet I think it is. Make one practice stroke visualizing the amount of backswing I need. Setup and hit the putt. And on anything under 15 feet I'll do the Jordan speith "look at the hole while I hit the putt" thing. 

if you're struggling its amazing what this does. Takes planning out of it and makes you reactive with your eyes and hands. Brings all the feel back into putting. 

• Like 1