*Graphite Design Lovers Anonymous* Tour AD UB vs IZ vs XC and NOW vs TP! ...and HD....and VR

2 hours ago, Rpete33 said:

How does the UB compared to the TP?

I agree with @third-times-a-charm.   UB felt more linear to me, more stable throughout the shaft.   In theory the XC is more stout than the UB, but I have no issues loading the XC, and didn't get the same feel with the UB.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

4 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

I agree with @third-times-a-charm.   UB felt more linear to me, more stable throughout the shaft.   In theory the XC is more stout than the UB, but I have no issues loading the XC, and didn't get the same feel with the UB.

Funny how many here didnt get along with the UB yet Titleist reps are fitting EVERYONE into the UB right now. Titleist is giving UB shafts away like hotcakes to reviewers, too.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Funny how many here didnt get along with the UB yet Titleist reps are fitting EVERYONE into the UB right now. Titleist is giving UB shafts away like hotcakes to reviewers, too.

I would have no issue gaming XC, BB, MJ or GP this weekend.   MT, GT, TP, VR and DI were ok, but none were the right fit for me.  UB was just meh.  I'd probably take it over DI (which gave the the lefts), but I'd take any of the other GD shafts I've listed over the UB.

58 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

It's funny, because I got fit into the UB 7TX in my TSR3.  It is very linear with a very stable tip.  I had to go stiffer to get dispersion under control, but ball speed was high with both.  I actually have a Ventus Blue TR 7x waiting in the wings just to test against it.  So far, the UB has been an awesome combo for me.  I don't get along with the IZ in my driver, but love it in my fairways. Honestly, I can't think of any Tour Ad's I couldn't fit into one of my clubs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hagimihale said:

I would have no issue gaming XC, BB, MJ or GP this weekend.   MT, GT, TP, VR and DI were ok, but none were the right fit for me.  UB was just meh.  I'd probably take it over DI (which gave the the lefts), but I'd take any of the other GD shafts I've listed over the UB.

It’s just so polarizing. There is a bit of adoption on the tours though which I think is due to the stiffer handle and GD taking some spots in players bags where the Mitsubishi likes like tensei would be. Nelly is testing one, John Daly plays one in driver, and I saw Amy Yang has one in her driver at the range recently.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

i tried all the tensei and didn't like one of them. For me the Black was the worst probably due to the Low/low set up.

The GD just feels so much smoother. The search continues and thank god for adjustable hosels or else my life would be miserable

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

1 hour ago, ob1soccer said:

i tried all the tensei and didn't like one of them. For me the Black was the worst probably due to the Low/low set up.

did not like 1K Black at all.  to me there is a big difference between Pro White/1K (or orange) and the black.

now that i think about it, 1K black and UB seemed similar.  linear but without feel

Edited by hagimihale

49 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

did not like 1K Black at all.  to me there is a big difference between Pro White/1K (or orange) and the black.

now that i think about it, 1K black and UB seemed similar.  linear but without feel

I didn't get along with the 1K Black either.  Actually the worst shaft I tested.  Caused a very inconsistent strike and I couldn't time it.  Some people love them though.  

5 hours ago, hagimihale said:

IMO its not that the UB is without feel, but as the stiffest handle so far of any GD shaft it kind of creates that feeling versus the other shafts in the line. You have to be a really stacked swinger and pull the handle as they say to get a lot out of it. The UB still has more feel than any Tensei, still, IMO.

• Like 3

So I had my first go out with the AD GP in driver thanks to a member here who had a black edition for me. I have the GP 7 in my 3 wood which I use off the tee so I had somewhat of an expectation. I'm still a little confused on it tbh. It's fantastic in a 3 wood for tee use. After going back and fourth between the IZ and the GP in my driver I can't really put my finger on much of a difference visually. It is definitely a little less draw biased than the IZ and has a little bit less feel but the height is similar. Misses were still blah with both.

The feel and tip stiffness reminds me of a Ventus Blue-ish type profile.

Going to take it out on the course and see if it does anything notable.

Heres a project for anyone using a hybrid and wants some GD feel in it. I tried both the DI and IZ hybrids from GD and they were both not at all like their .335 wood counterparts. Boardy and lacking the smooth feel from the entire rest of the lines. On a whim after looking at some data and profiles I found the Aldila 2KXV Orange and after testing it out for a few weeks now it's 100% a GD shaft without being one. Such a nice hybrid shaft feel like the GD woods with mid launch and mid/low spin.

Not to mention it's a bargain at like $40-50 on ebay or golfworks for a brand new shaft. Highly recommend the experiment if you play hybrids without a Tour AD shaft - and GD shafts in your woods.

• Like 3

i had zero feel out of any of the Tensei and the Black was by far the worst.

Ad DI feels so much better and waiting for good weather to compare to IZ< UB, anbd HD

1 minute ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Heres a project for anyone using a hybrid and wants some GD feel in it. I tried both the DI and IZ hybrids from GD and they were both not at all like their .335 wood counterparts. Boardy and lacking the smooth feel from the entire rest of the lines. On a whim after looking at some data and profiles I found the Aldila 2KXV Orange and after testing it out for a few weeks now it's 100% a GD shaft without being one. Such a nice hybrid shaft feel like the GD woods with mid launch and mid/low spin.

Not to mention it's a bargain at like $40-50 on ebay or golfworks for a brand new shaft. Highly recommend the experiment if you play hybrids without a Tour AD shaft - and GD shafts in your woods.

is the 2KXV orange at all similar to the Aldila tour blue Hybrid shaft? I still have that in my Mizuno hybrid and cant find anything better. Hoping to have GD in my driver and 3 wood, so am curious what GD would be the best fit in the hybrid category. The search continues

1 minute ago, ob1soccer said:

is the 2KXV orange at all similar to the Aldila tour blue Hybrid shaft? I still have that in my Mizuno hybrid and cant find anything better. Hoping to have GD in my driver and 3 wood, so am curious what GD would be the best fit in the hybrid category. The search continues

I believe the Tour Blue is similar to the 2KXV Blue which is overall slightly firmer and CB'd than the 2KXV Orange. I almost went for the 2KXV Blue but I dont like high BP shafts that require more head weight to SW and I felt the orange being overall slightly softer would provide better feel and it paid off.

• Like 1

ok good luck with the search, hope it works out and keep us posted

I read this thread regularly and post occasionally. This thread and a few others turned me on to the GD shafts over the past year as you can see below. It’s been worth every dollar spent so far on the course.

IZ 6s/x - driver

UB 7x - 3 wood - Rarely carry due to the UW

IZ 7s - UW 17* (currently DI in this head)

DI 7s - UW 19* (currently IZ in this head)

UB 7x - UW 21*
DI 85x hybrid - UT 18*/21*

These clubs rotate in and out of the bag based on course set up and etc. But, the IZ drivers shafts and 17/21* UW’s are permanent at this time. 

IZ experiment in the 17* UW:

A local builder is currently swapping my DI shaft in the 17* head into my new to me 19* head. The 19* with the IZ I just picked up this past week. I am hoping this swap will give the 17* head a bit more launch as well as a bit more distance. This shaft is a bit longer than my current DI shaft as well.  I play my 2 current UW’s shorter than standard length. But, even with the occasional lower than anticipated bullet this 17* DI combo is pretty automatic.  My thought is the 19* head will pair very nicely with the DI for higher launch into greens from the deck and for tee use at times.  Then, make the 17* with the IZ primarily for the tee box and really long shots into the green. This is based on my experience with my driver shafts and 17* vs 19* head feedback in the UW thread.  I should mention I go from my driver into my 17* UW since my UW encroaches on my 3 wood from the tee box already. My 2 current GD shafts really make these heads come to life.  And I anticipate the IZ shaft will have the same result.  

DI Hybrid shaft:

I agree with @third-times-a-charm about the DI hybrid shaft compared to the wood shafts. I bought 2 of these about a month ago. The DI hybrid shaft does have a different feel than my other GD shafts.  I just installed these DI 85x hybrid shafts into a 18* and 21* Cally X-Forged UT’s recently.  The DI 85x hybrid shaft is very linear feeling throughout. There is a lack of kick compared to my DI wood shaft for sure. I went with this shaft based on my experience with the DI wood shaft in my Apex UW 17* that I have played for over a year. I was looking for that kick feeling with the UT’s. These are great shafts, but they have a different feel for sure. I will say this is based on limited testing and on course experience so far.  These clubs will take some adjusting to for sure for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

On 1/7/2023 at 6:20 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

I believe the Tour Blue is similar to the 2KXV Blue which is overall slightly firmer and CB'd than the 2KXV Orange. I almost went for the 2KXV Blue but I dont like high BP shafts that require more head weight to SW and I felt the orange being overall slightly softer would provide better feel and it paid off.

got to compare AD-DI to AD-UB to AD-HD today at Top Golf. I would much rather do it on the course but weather sucks in NY so at least I got something done.

For me DI and HD were very good, feel great, launch perfect and dispersion good.

UB was awful, whippy, felt light, couldn't feel the head, everything was a push fade. Did not hit one ball to the right with the other 2 shafts. Read alot about the UB and there is alot of negative talk and based upon today I would have to agree.

Next search is for a VR

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

got to compare AD-DI to AD-UB to AD-HD today at Top Golf. I would much rather do it on the course but weather sucks in NY so at least I got something done.

For me DI and HD were very good, feel great, launch perfect and dispersion good.

UB was awful, whippy, felt light, couldn't feel the head, everything was a push fade. Did not hit one ball to the right with the other 2 shafts. Read alot about the UB and there is alot of negative talk and based upon today I would have to agree.

Next search is for a VR

If you had to pick between DI and HD which would you choose?

3 hours ago, JamesG12 said:

If you had to pick between DI and HD which would you choose?

today was day 4 with the DI, and only day 1 with the HD so not really a fair test as of yet. But today the HD won by a slight margin. Very surprised actually because the DI is very good,  and the HD was a little better and the UB was awful

On 1/11/2023 at 5:57 PM, Rpete33 said:

Well I’m moving the tour ad iz 8tx ti the 4 wood, I pulled a wrx and ordered the tour ad to 7tx on the words of you guys. Can’t wait to get it in the driver! 

I have the IZ 8TX in my 5 wood.  Unbelievable shaft.  I can play that club from 235-270.  Most versatile wood I've ever owned by far.  I've had the AD DI for 5 years as well and love it, but the stability of the tip combined with the feel is why the IZ won me over.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sbjinx said:

So if I’m looking for VR feel but launch slightly higher, am I correct that I should try the IZ. 

I have the VR in my 3 wood and the IZ in my 5 wood.  I can feel the active tip in the IZ a little more, but it doesn't produce significantly higher launch for me with a stock swing.  But, feel is super subjective.  I think the IZ can fit a wide array of swings and is always worth a try. 

14 hours ago, sbjinx said:

So if I’m looking for VR feel but launch slightly higher, am I correct that I should try the IZ. 

I would say the opposite - that the VR is the higher launching IZ so you're already using that shaft.

If you need to go higher than the VR you're only option is really the old MJ or the new CQ. You may want to try the older MT as well but that one is kind of like the IZ in that some say its lower/higher launch based on their swing/AOA.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I would say the opposite - that the VR is the higher launching IZ so you're already using that shaft.

If you need to go higher than the VR you're only option is really the old MJ or the new CQ. You may want to try the older MT as well but that one is kind of like the IZ in that some say its lower/higher launch based on their swing/AOA.

This comment got me thinking. Anyone on this thread have a 0 to slightly negative (say -1 or less) AOA? What GD shaft has worked best for you?

I wanted to chim that I was finally able to the the XC. My buddy has an XC 6x in this Tsi2. I hit it a few times and really just did not like it much. I have gotten so used to my Kai’li White 60s that the XC (even in X) felt very loose in the handle. You can feel how stiff the mid is and maybe the tip, but just not my cup of tea. I bet a 6s would be even looser. 

Also hit my other buddies TSR2 with a 1K Black in stiff. Wow, that sucker is stiff. 

Also hit my other buddies Ventus TR Blue 6s again, my favorite shaft I think I have ever hit. 

Anyway, just wanted to add my minor review. Sorry to not derail this thread. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

20 hours ago, sbjinx said:

Playing the 6S VR in driver now.  The MT and DI launch higher for me than the VR. The IZ launches about the same as the VR for me.  Playing DI 7S in my 3 wood and love it.

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

On 1/8/2023 at 12:41 AM, hitnfades said:

I read this thread regularly and post occasionally. This thread and a few others turned me on to the GD shafts over the past year as you can see below. It’s been worth every dollar spent so far on the course.

IZ 6s/x - driver

UB 7x - 3 wood - Rarely carry due to the UW

IZ 7s - UW 17* (currently DI in this head)

DI 7s - UW 19* (currently IZ in this head)

UB 7x - UW 21*
DI 85x hybrid - UT 18*/21*

These clubs rotate in and out of the bag based on course set up and etc. But, the IZ drivers shafts and 17/21* UW’s are permanent at this time. 

IZ experiment in the 17* UW:

A local builder is currently swapping my DI shaft in the 17* head into my new to me 19* head. The 19* with the IZ I just picked up this past week. I am hoping this swap will give the 17* head a bit more launch as well as a bit more distance. This shaft is a bit longer than my current DI shaft as well.  I play my 2 current UW’s shorter than standard length. But, even with the occasional lower than anticipated bullet this 17* DI combo is pretty automatic.  My thought is the 19* head will pair very nicely with the DI for higher launch into greens from the deck and for tee use at times.  Then, make the 17* with the IZ primarily for the tee box and really long shots into the green. This is based on my experience with my driver shafts and 17* vs 19* head feedback in the UW thread.  I should mention I go from my driver into my 17* UW since my UW encroaches on my 3 wood from the tee box already. My 2 current GD shafts really make these heads come to life.  And I anticipate the IZ shaft will have the same result.  

DI Hybrid shaft:

I agree with @third-times-a-charm about the DI hybrid shaft compared to the wood shafts. I bought 2 of these about a month ago. The DI hybrid shaft does have a different feel than my other GD shafts.  I just installed these DI 85x hybrid shafts into a 18* and 21* Cally X-Forged UT’s recently.  The DI 85x hybrid shaft is very linear feeling throughout. There is a lack of kick compared to my DI wood shaft for sure. I went with this shaft based on my experience with the DI wood shaft in my Apex UW 17* that I have played for over a year. I was looking for that kick feeling with the UT’s. These are great shafts, but they have a different feel for sure. I will say this is based on limited testing and on course experience so far.  These clubs will take some adjusting to for sure for me.

Follow up and success…  My builder finally completed the IZ/DI shaft swaps in my Apex UW heads.  I went straight to the first tee this morning with no range time.  The plan was to use the IZ on all par 4/5’s to put it through it’s paces. I really wanted to see how this club compared to driver/3W with others in the group I regularly play with. The IZ paired with the 17* from the tee was incredible/rocket launcher as predicted. This club now has that mid-high flight path and was always in the area of drivers/ahead of 3W for distance.  The group of guys I play with regularly were shocked at the performance of this club all day.  I could see their wheels turning and they started asking me about Tour AD shafts as the round went on. 

The DI in the 19* head held its own as well. This was more of a head change just to obtain more spin/height into greens.  The DI was in the 17* head prior and it was always great.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

Coming in hot with another clown take.

Been playing the 'old' GP (black editions of course since my wife plays the turquoise version) vs the IZ - and the GP is winning so far. Why am I like this.

Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

I got to hit the IZ and the GP on a totally random outdoor short Flightscope session as another member brought one to the range and we ended up hitting a few balls on it for fun to see numbers. I was at ~2200RPM with the GP and ~2800RPM spin with the IZ. Visibly higher launch with the IZ @ the same loft, still.

The feel of the IZ is SO GOOD. But I guess you just really can't decouple that from higher spin and launch at lower swing speeds like mine (~100 SS). If your swing is amateur and you cant repeat it like a pro does who might use a nice feeling shaft - then is there a use for having a shaft just for feel? Just blew my mind. Very meta.

Going to keep it in the bag for a bit longer.

The GP-7 is absolutely staying in the bag with my 3W. As a tee-only 3W it's an absolutely fantastic shaft and what led me to grabbing a 6-weight for driver.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1