2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

*Graphite Design Lovers Anonymous* Tour AD UB vs IZ vs XC and NOW vs TP! ...and HD....and VR

I would like to go down the graphite design route but have little to no experience. And here in Portugal it is close to impossible to test. So my thought is to get 3 different ones for a tsr2 driver at 9d. I’ll sell what I don’t like. 

I swing it slow around 100-102. Smooth tempo and transition. Launch it typically mid/high, need to keep an eye on spin. Weak flight to the right is a typical miss with an occasional low left. 

I like a bit of life in the shaft. Currently have a fujikura pro which  I like but I feel it could be kicking slightly more. Typically play in the 60-65g weight, wouldn’t mind something lighter but still stable. 

so looking for s profile that has s bit of liveliness, not too spinny but still is stable. Which three would you suggest trying?

Thanks 

Just took the IZ6x that @ob1soccer sold me on the course. Just a few observations (compared mostly to Ventus Blue Velocore):

- Higher flight overall then ventus, but nothing too high.

- I assumed it would spin off the planet because the IZ is not tipped (compared to the 1" on the ventus), but once I got the hang of where on the face I was hitting it, spin was on similar range to ventus (at least observationally based on flight).

- More carry than I am used to.

- I wasn't in agreement with most that compared to the DI, it feels more "one piece" or "doesn't kick." It had a very smooth kick to it, and I never felt like I was going to lose it. 

- Good trajectory control (not a strong suite of mine). Was able to land a soft high fade into a short par 4 to 275 yds. 90% luck, but at least 10% of me had some intention of hitting that shot shape.

- Not honeymooning, but definitely like the shaft more than I thought I would. As with any decent patch of form, I will most certainly ruin it with something stupid such as experimentation with tipping. We shall see...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Just took the IZ6x that @ob1soccer sold me on the course. Just a few observations (compared mostly to Ventus Blue Velocore):

- Higher flight overall then ventus, but nothing too high.

- I assumed it would spin off the planet because the IZ is not tipped (compared to the 1" on the ventus), but once I got the hang of where on the face I was hitting it, spin was on similar range to ventus (at least observationally based on flight).

- More carry than I am used to.

- I wasn't in agreement with most that compared to the DI, it feels more "one piece" or "doesn't kick." It had a very smooth kick to it, and I never felt like I was going to lose it. 

- Good trajectory control (not a strong suite of mine). Was able to land a soft high fade into a short par 4 to 275 yds. 90% luck, but at least 10% of me had some intention of hitting that shot shape.

- Not honeymooning, but definitely like the shaft more than I thought I would. As with any decent patch of form, I will most certainly ruin it with something stupid such as experimentation with tipping. We shall see...

good luck with it buddy

• Thanks 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 2/24/2023 at 5:13 PM, Jimi Thing said:

I would like to go down the graphite design route but have little to no experience. And here in Portugal it is close to impossible to test. So my thought is to get 3 different ones for a tsr2 driver at 9d. I’ll sell what I don’t like. 

I swing it slow around 100-102. Smooth tempo and transition. Launch it typically mid/high, need to keep an eye on spin. Weak flight to the right is a typical miss with an occasional low left. 

I like a bit of life in the shaft. Currently have a fujikura pro which  I like but I feel it could be kicking slightly more. Typically play in the 60-65g weight, wouldn’t mind something lighter but still stable. 

so looking for s profile that has s bit of liveliness, not too spinny but still is stable. Which three would you suggest trying?

Thanks 

Titleist has a number of Graphite Design shafts as upcharge options.  If this is your first time trying one of their shafts I would recommend starting with the Tour AD DI 6S.  It is a benchmark shaft. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

Anyone that plays a BB/XC in their driver, what GD shaft pairs well for a fairway wood?  I'm building up a 5 wood and would prefer something that launches a little higher.  I can look at the charts, but was curious what others actually prefer.

In my 3 wood I'm actually playing an old Matrix Rul 70.  Can't seem to get that shaft out of my bag.  Its mid spin / mid launch.

19 hours ago, R_Swanson said:

Anyone that plays a BB/XC in their driver, what GD shaft pairs well for a fairway wood?  I'm building up a 5 wood and would prefer something that launches a little higher.  I can look at the charts, but was curious what others actually prefer.

In my 3 wood I'm actually playing an old Matrix Rul 70.  Can't seem to get that shaft out of my bag.  Its mid spin / mid launch.

No telling exactly what you'll like but try the HD or IZ.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

19 hours ago, R_Swanson said:

I have an XC in my driver and playing a Bb in my 3 wood. Still in early stages with the 3 wood but so far I really like it. To me the Bb feels a little softer than the Xc but same overall profile. 

I played Tp in driver and Di in 3 wood for a couple years and made a change with my iron shafts last year that seemed to mess with my driver and 3 wood. I have not seen a drop in launch with the switch from di to bb. 

• Like 1

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB

On 2/27/2023 at 12:53 AM, R_Swanson said:

I gamed XC in driver for a few years.  Could easily go back to it - its my favorite GD shaft and probably in my top 3 driver shafts all time.  

The surprise GD shaft in FW was an MJ 7S.  It was very consistent both off the tee and from the deck.  Good launch but it didn't spin off the planet.   That shaft now resides in the 4W at my dad's house (I hate travelling with my sticks).  But if anything were to happen to current gamer (see sig), I wouldn't hesitate to put it back in the bag.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

I’ve ended up doing a 180 on my earlier comments… shocker. I tried the UB again one day, and it just flat out worked. Took it on a 3 day trip to Streamsong and absolutely drove the ball as well as ever. Put the XC back in for 9 holes and while it still absolutely worked, I ended up liking the firmer handle and stiffer tip of UB. I feel like a get more carry than the XC with the UB a less flat ball flight. 

• Like 2

UB is the first graphite design shaft that has worked in a driver for me. I absolutely love the shaft. Nice kick, low spin and low flight for me. I am playing UB 5s in my driver, AD 6s in 3 wood, and UB 7s in 5 wood.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

On 2/27/2023 at 12:53 AM, R_Swanson said:

I am playing the XC in driver and love the HD in my 3 wood. I have the XC in my 7 wood also but if I was playing a 5 wood I would probably go with DI or IZ.

All of them are great, I haven't swung the UB or VR so those could be a possibility as well.

Ping G410 LST 9* / Tour Ad XC 6TX Shaft testing in progress..

Taylormade SIM Ti 15* / Tour Ad HD 7X @42.5

Titleist TS2 21* / Tour Ad XC 8x @41.5   A hybrid that is yet to be named

Titleist T100 (2019) 4-9 / Modus 120x

Titleist Vokey SM7 46+50+54+58 / Modus 120x

Bettinardi BB8W

Just curious, what GD shaft is going to likely resemble/feel the most like a "blue" profile? Think, ventus blue, Rdx Blue, diamana tb.

However, I don't get along with the blue feels where the butt is very stiff. Tensei pro blue I've never liked, Hzrdus yellow is technical a blue profile but I also did not like it. 

3 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Just curious, what GD shaft is going to likely resemble/feel the most like a "blue" profile? Think, ventus blue, Rdx Blue, diamana tb

DI is based on the blue profile.  almost everything else in GD lineup is then a tweak on DI profile

39 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

DI is based on the blue profile.  almost everything else in GD lineup is then a tweak on DI profile

So I have a fitting Friday, and I want to tell the fitter that I'd like to try a few GD shafts in the fairway woods. I have limited time in this scenario, so I won't have time to try every head with every GD shaft, plus I want to try Ventus TR. Is there maybe 2 of them that seem to be universally liked the most?

If it matters, would likely be going with a 70x in a 3w and an 80x in a 5 or 7w.

2 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

So I have a fitting Friday, and I want to tell the fitter that I'd like to try a few GD shafts in the fairway woods. I have limited time in this scenario, so I won't have time to try every head with every GD shaft, plus I want to try Ventus TR. Is there maybe 2 of them that seem to be universally liked the most?

If it matters, would likely be going with a 70x in a 3w and an 80x in a 5 or 7w.

DI and IZ maybe?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gerger said:

DI and IZ maybe?

this.

Update on my IZ:

Have now had 2 rounds and 1 compare session on the GC2 versus the Ventus TR Red 6x.

Interestingly, the shaft seems to fit my swing. I tend to get pretty high spin because I favor a cut, by my spin numbers seem to hang out around 2200. Ventus TR Red felt way more stable, and I liked how impact felt more, but spin was in the 2900-3100 range. IZ feels less stable, but that didn't translate into out of control shots. On the course, the IZ worked well with a nice mid to high launch fade which is my natural shot shape. However, I was never confident enough to really go after anything because you can really feel it bend.

Anyone compare IZ 6 vs IZ 7 and find that numbers stayed similar but felt more stable? Maybe I could finally end my shaft ho-ing if it's the one?

Edited by sadclevelandsports

Got fit for a 7X UB tipped 1" in the TD Paradym. Definitely liked the combo but the handle felt really stiff "to me." The only other GD shaft I've hit was the XC which felt softer to me but spun too much which is ironic since it's supposed to be the low/low in the lineup apart from the M9003. 

What would the next step down (softer feeling, which is subjective) in handle stiffness be but still keeping similar tip stiffness from those of you who have hit most of the lineup? 

• Like 1
  •  💎💎💎 8* Paradym playing at 7*, ADUB 7X, tipped 1," VF7TX tipped .5"
  • Qi Tour 5W at 16.5, HZRDUS 80g 6.5, playing 43.25"
  • T200 2i Utility, HZRDUS 105x tipped .5"
  • 770 4I, P7MC 5-PW,  PX LS 6.5 
  • SM9 50.08F, SM8 55.11S, SM9 60.06 T
  • , Odyssey Ten Ball 

4 hours ago, B.Easy said:

The UB is a great shaft, but it has a really stiff handle by any measure.  Gives great ball speed and launch numbers on a launch monitor during a fit when getting after it.  Super consistent. BUT, that's not how most folks play on the course. SO, it becomes hard to time on the course with a "less than" 100% swing.

I'd search pro clubs on ebay for an AD DI 7TX.  It's tour issue, but they show up from time to time and firm up the handle and tip. Still softer feeling than the UB to me.  A criminally underrated shaft is the TP.  Similar to the DI, but with updated materials and a little stiffer overall feel. I also own the HD 7 and 8TX.  In my opinion, its hard to blindly recommend them or any shaft really.  But they are like the UB for a driver in that respect. Great launch monitor numbers, but hard to take to the course with a driver. 

IF you're fitting into something stiffer than an X in any particular shaft, I'd consider the TX version instead of tipping.  I always like the TX versions better than tipping on pretty much any shaft, because they seem to keep their intended feel better.  Just more stable usually. Tipping dramatically alters the feel (reduces torque) on certain shafts for me and that messes with timing. So, you essentially bought a shaft that wasn't tested, unless they had one in the fitting cart.  

Shafts are timing devices period.  Feel. 

I like to have two different swings when I'm being fit or when I'm fitting someone.  The swing where I absolutely have to hit a fairway and the swing where I get after it to maximize distance, but still keep control.  The shaft that accomplishes both the best is the shaft that wins.  On the course you'll be using the prior more than the latter, so that would be how I would weight the test results.

Sorry for being long winded.  Just some of my thoughts on this topic.  I don't own every shaft, but definitely own more than any fitting cart I've seen and know from experience that you have to choose the correct head first for launch and spin--then you can dial in shaft with a focus on feel primarily and fine tuning launch/spin.  

All great points, especially on the swing versions. The UB for me was everything you mentioned. There were times when I felt like I had to concentrate more with it and the TD head than my gamer (425 LST/1ko), but the results were eye opening speed wise when you consider how everything is maxed out these days. I played a virtual trackman round with the combo this weekend and it was seemingly effortless 300 ys carries that day, but the next day I was a bit off and the flight turned over more often than I wanted, due to the stiff handle. In regards to the TX vs X tipped scenario, the UB specs have the TX is one gram heavier, otherwise everything on paper is the same. Does GD use more premium materials in their TX versions? 

If I go with this combo, I'll keep my eye out for the DI TX and talk to my fitter. For what it's worth I trust him and he's nationally recognized, but I'm also one of those guys who is really susceptible to feel in my driver shaft. 

• Like 1
  • , Odyssey Ten Ball 

3 hours ago, 70sinsight said:

All great points, especially on the swing versions. The UB for me was everything you mentioned. There were times when I felt like I had to concentrate more with it and the TD head than my gamer (425 LST/1ko), but the results were eye opening speed wise when you consider how everything is maxed out these days. I played a virtual trackman round with the combo this weekend and it was seemingly effortless 300 ys carries that day, but the next day I was a bit off and the flight turned over more often than I wanted, due to the stiff handle. In regards to the TX vs X tipped scenario, the UB specs have the TX is one gram heavier, otherwise everything on paper is the same. Does GD use more premium materials in their TX versions? 

If I go with this combo, I'll keep my eye out for the DI TX and talk to my fitter. For what it's worth I trust him and he's nationally recognized, but I'm also one of those guys who is really susceptible to feel in my driver shaft. 

I don't know if GD uses more premium materials in the TX.  All of their shafts are so ultra premium already, I don't know what they could do.

If you're fitter is that good, I would stick to the UB.  Commit and don't allow us shaft ho's to influence you!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, B.Easy said:

I don't know if GD uses more premium materials in the TX.  All of their shafts are so ultra premium already, I don't know what they could do.

If you're fitter is that good, I would stick to the UB.  Commit and don't allow us shaft ho's to influence you!

Ha. True. I mean, what's another driver just to get 7 more yds of carry? And then invariably spend a couple hundred more dollars on shafts two months down the road. And then sell it all at the end of the season. 

• Haha 2
  • , Odyssey Ten Ball 

Has anyone compared the UB and the IZ in the fairway woods?  I'm going to be ordering a TSR 4 wood, and will probably go with one of these shafts.  I demo'd the TSR in the fall with the IZ, and it had a nice flight to it.  But I was fit into the UB for the driver, so thought about the UB in the fairway as well.  Anybody here try both, and if so, what seemed to be the difference, in feel and flight?  Preference either way?

On 3/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, JamesG12 said:

For those that love the IZ… is there a ventus shaft you’ve gotten along with as well? A bunch of fitters have told me it’s the ventus blue but just curious as to real world opinions. Thanks!

I used VB for a long while before the IZ. I'd say they don't play hugely different, but for me, it's easier to get the IZ in a higher window. On the launch monitor, spin is surprisingly similar in the low 2k for each. IZ plays longer for me, and while I tend to make decent contact with the IZ, sometimes I feel numb to where the head is (maybe this is what people refer to when they say it feels loose?).

Like a good ho, since my last post, I bought a 7x, so I'll update after testing to see if that feeling of numbness goes away.

On 3/4/2023 at 10:56 PM, 70sinsight said:

Got fit for a 7X UB tipped 1" in the TD Paradym. Definitely liked the combo but the handle felt really stiff "to me." The only other GD shaft I've hit was the XC which felt softer to me but spun too much which is ironic since it's supposed to be the low/low in the lineup apart from the M9003. 

What would the next step down (softer feeling, which is subjective) in handle stiffness be but still keeping similar tip stiffness from those of you who have hit most of the lineup? 

Out of curiosity, was the XC a TX?