2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Looking for a 🦄 players Iron that will improve scores

LowAndLeft32

1 hour ago, cflo2382 said:

Another vote for the Blueprints here if we're keeping this to recent offerings. They are very forgiving for their size and look incredible, too.

Also, if you're willing to go back almost 10 years, then I'd also suggest the S55s. Fairly compact, extremely consistent, and uber forgiving. Oh and they do feel great. There's a reason why a lot of pros still bag these (even non-Ping staffers). Heck, they were used to win the US Open last month!

Interesting idea. Have you compared blueprints vs any of todays players irons? 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

13 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Interesting idea. Have you compared blueprints vs any of todays players irons? 

In the players category, nothing that I can provide any longer term comparison except for the Srixon ZX7 that I gamed for 2-3 months. Great irons but quite a bit larger than the Blueprints. Slightly better feel. V-Sole not for everyone but it worked fine for me. I just never found any consistency with the ZX7 but I know many love them. I just went back to my s55's which are a tad smaller to my eye, more forgiving, and consistent for me.

Going back to your title, I don't actually consider the Blueprints to have "game improvement" forgiveness. That might be a stretch but they are definitely very forgiving for their size. I gamed them for the 2020 season and only sold them because I wanted to try something "new". So, it's been a while, but, always considered putting them back in the bag. But, it's just tough to beat the s55 in terms of all around performance, though.

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 1

J40 DPC are it. Extremely low offset, thin top line, thin sole, slight leading and trail edge bevel, and a maltby playability factor of 681, that’s 19 pound away from being super game improvement. 

Only thing the “purists” don’t like is the longer blade length. 

Edited by Rosco1216
  • Like 1

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

You’ll think I’m nuts. But if you stop at say 4 or 5 iron ?  Ping blueprint.    There’s no world where they are harder to hit than the T100.  And I’ve played both back to back for over a year each.    The 2 and 3 iron is definitely low launch and higher demand.  But the 4 just launches with no effort.  

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's barely been mentioned, but the Ping i59 is blade sized, looks like a blade(unlike T100 with all the junk on the back), and has the forgiveness of i210.  That's probably a close as you're gonna get.  GI level forgiveness comes with GI bulk.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

13 hours ago, bladehunter said:

You’ll think I’m nuts. But if you stop at say 4 or 5 iron ?  Ping blueprint.    There’s no world where they are harder to hit than the T100.  And I’ve played both back to back for over a year each.    The 2 and 3 iron is definitely low launch and higher demand.  But the 4 just launches with no effort.  

Have you not the mizuno 225s? Comparing these vs blueprints seems interesting. 

On 7/6/2022 at 1:18 PM, cflo2382 said:

Another vote for the Blueprints here if we're keeping this to recent offerings. They are very forgiving for their size and look incredible, too.

Also, if you're willing to go back almost 10 years, then I'd also suggest the S55s. Fairly compact, extremely consistent, and uber forgiving. Oh and they do feel great. There's a reason why a lot of pros still bag these (even non-Ping staffers). Heck, they were used to win the US Open last month!

S55s sound interesting but finding a good condition set seems challenging 🤷‍♂️ 

On 7/4/2022 at 3:33 PM, flubberlange said:

Proto Concept. I am still shocked at how good they are.

I’m surprised that the proto concepts don’t get a lot more love. I have the c03s. They look awesome and feel good. I just can’t seem to find the center and hit them straight. 

2 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Have you compared the blueprints vs mizuno 225s or t00? 

Not extensively but I have hit them all, at least the 6 and 7 irons anyway... I did own the 2019 T100 and only demoed the 225.  I can't say long term how the BP would be as they do look smaller and I normally stay away from hollow body irons, but after hitting a few mid irons, I was blown away with what felt like HUGE forgiveness in that little club.  The 225 are a touch larger and for me, I find it hard to like many Mizuno irons but they felt great also, I just dont think I would play them long term as the soles do not typically work for me.  The new T100 I only demoed at a fitting and I like the 2019 version better IMO.  In the end, I do not think the BP would be that far behind any other players CB and would be more beneficial than a traditional blade.  I would like to eventually grab a set I liked the feel that much.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

1 hour ago, Nixhex524 said:

Not extensively but I have hit them all, at least the 6 and 7 irons anyway... I did own the 2019 T100 and only demoed the 225.  I can't say long term how the BP would be as they do look smaller and I normally stay away from hollow body irons, but after hitting a few mid irons, I was blown away with what felt like HUGE forgiveness in that little club.  The 225 are a touch larger and for me, I find it hard to like many Mizuno irons but they felt great also, I just dont think I would play them long term as the soles do not typically work for me.  The new T100 I only demoed at a fitting and I like the 2019 version better IMO.  In the end, I do not think the BP would be that far behind any other players CB and would be more beneficial than a traditional blade.  I would like to eventually grab a set I liked the feel that much.

Blueprints aren’t hollow body. Solid forging 

8 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

S55s sound interesting but finding a good condition set seems challenging 🤷‍♂️ 

Yeah, good condition sets are tough to come by now in days but they're out there!

Blueprints will be easier to find but prices and conditions are all over the place. One thing to keep in mind regarding the Blueprints is that for some reason their standard lengths are .25" shorter than normal (5i is 37.75"). Not sure why they did this. Maybe something to do with the Arccos thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T_Golf_23 said:

You are talking about slightly different clubs here. The 225 are a players distance flow set. So the long irons are hollow with tungsten in the 3-7 iron. The 8 irons transitions with a hollow body, but no tungsten. The 9-P-G are steel back. The tops lines and soles are progressive so they get smaller as the set progresses. Most sets the pitching wedge looks large, mizuno makes their scoring irons more compact. The top line on the 8-G is as thin as blades. The sole is also very narrow. the idea is that the set give you help in the clubs you need it and then the accuracy in the scoring club you need. I like the transition in the 8 iron where they remove the tungsten. It makes the flight a little more favorable. So the long irons have a PD feel while the short irons have a blade feel and look. The copper underlay gives them the softest feel of any iron in their category. These do not feel like your traditional distance irons….. they feel solid across the set, but are the most forgiving of the BP and T100.

the BP are solid with a tungsten screw in the toe. Smallest head made. Some of the easiest blades to play, along with the wilson staff blades. But they are still blades.  No distance help at all. Traditional lofts. Rick Shiels did and interesting you tube video on his switch from BP to wilson staff CB. 

with any blades, you will need CH speed to generate distance. This can get difficult out of deep rough. Do you feel comfortable taking a 5 or 6 iron out of the rough with a the tiniest blade on the market and going after a green from 175+ yards out?? 

You mentioned distance was something you were looking for. You also mentioned that you tried the T100 and didn’t get along with it. The new version is not much different than the prior. I think it is a non starter if you didn’t get along with the old ones, but if you want to go this route…. Try the T100S. They utilize a micro slot in the 4-7 irons and then switch to a solid iron in the 8-G. They also have split tungsten in the the 4-7. 

They will feel more dense than the BP and 225. The head size is between the BP and 225. The top line is thinner than the 225 long irons, but the 225 short irons will be thinner than the t100 short irons. They will also have the loudest sound. 2nd swing has some great videos comparing this, particularly the sound. I am a big feel person, and these just didn’t make the cut.

I would  rather see you consider the T200 if distance is a priority. Or flow the T200 4-5, T100S in 6-P. 

note - most PING irons, but not all, are known for larger soles and high bounces. This usually helps steep swings or player who catch it a little fat. Your miss is traditionally thinner and more shallow, this may not benefit you as much. There are great threads on here about thin and shallow strikers doing better with thinner soles in general. 

i also find the leading edge grinds are helpful. 

Excellent post here for the OP. Also, great reference regarding the iron bounce. As mentioned, PING is known for higher bounce with their irons (even the BP's small soles have high bounce). For someone like me, who is steep, PINGs have always worked out nicely.

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 3

I think the original question is unanswerable.

There are a bunch of clubs that feel like a blade and perform much better. 

Most of which have been mentioned above.

PXG irons, for example, feel like blades and perform much better, but they don't look like blades. Cobra Forged eTc look like fat blades, perform better but feel worse.

But most of those mentioned don't look like a blade because if they did they'd be blades.

To me, the T100 don't look like blades. They look like player's irons. 

The Ping Blueprints and Mizuno are closer. Because they basically are blades.

To get non-blade performance, you need a non-blade.

Which means it will be bigger, hollower, deeper etc etc.

At minimum it will be different.

Why do you want clubs that look like blades if you aren't confident you can hit blades? I can't see the logic.

That said, if I wanted to get style points yet still have a more forgiving iron I'd take the advice above and get a set of Adams CMB (or even better Adams MB2).

Super retro cool. And anyone in the know who sees those in your bag will tip their cap in your direction.

• Like 1

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

• LowAndLeft32 changed the title to Looking for a 🦄 players Iron that will improve scores