2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

The SSG deal was for an investment of up to $3B, it was never an investment of $3B. The first tranche was used exclusively to retain players via illiquid equity. If there is one, I would assume the second tranche will be used to improve the product and drive ROI. While I believe TV ratings are down 20% on average, I haven't heard of a corresponding revenue drop. SSG will certainly spring into action, likely with expense reduction, if their ROI is threatened. Nothing has occurred to date so things might be better than the general public thinks. 

I do think it's inevitable that more players will join LIV. Guys like Clark, Finau, and Horschel would've left already had LIV met their number. I believe the PGAT has asked LIV for $3B. LIV could simply plow that money into player contracts, marketing, media etc., and roll the dice they get that thing humming. My gut tells me we'll end up with a single tour again...just not certain which one. 

I still don’t think LIV is the end game for the PIF. It’s a crappy product per tv ratings and outside of the Adelaide every event is forgettable. Also outside of Tiger and maybe Rory, these guys are replaceable.  The Sunday tv ratings for the masters weren’t that high but Th/Fri were the highest rated broadcast in years.

Edited by stinger_gc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CDM said:

Not really surprising, expected it earlier.  When they said he would not be part of the talks last June I wonderd if he was to "close" to the PIF or something else but if he was not in the discussion why be there?  I expected hm to resign at the end of last year honestly. 

The players are going to drive this into the ground and it will only get worse.  Sad to say as the PIF, more so Yasir comments have been pretty clear lately they plan on going no where.

It will only drive more divide with the players on the PGAT as it has already been noted by PGAT staff / leadership stating they can not compete with PIF on the money side, let alone continue with what they setup they put in place revenue wise.  *Can not continue to do spend what they are.   

Loosing 3 top sponsors and a fourth now upset and yet no one can see the issue they are fighting. 

The SSG is investment I hoped would be great, even Jay noting it was done with the intent of PIF being part of it all,  but it will only be a band aid if the players do not stop letting emotion drive this.   

I would bet a few "certain" players want to be paid if deal is done and sure it is not a small number.  Thing is you know PIF is sittting there thinking.... nevermind we will just use it to sign more players. 

Who says LIV could not go to 72 holes?  Use the Asian Tour or other tour association as way to qualify for LIV.  They could open events up to a percentage of people to qualify.   

I know that fully goes against what they setup (54) but they could do it. would legitmize the structure.... get OWGR points which is really all that is holding them back (so to speak) over the Majors.   There would be nothing stopping them at that point. 

😂  The tour with 20% of the top talent, zero big sponsors, no real TV contract, no tradition/history and crappy venues is the Big Bad that’s going to destroy the tour that has 80% of the top talent, a long list of big name sponsors, a major network TV contract, basically their own TV network, the best venues in the U.S. locked up, and the biggest names in the history of golf (Woods and Nicklaus) supporting it…. 😂

LIV won’t destroy the Tour.  The best they’re gonna do is keep burning money adding little bits of talent here and there, damaging the overall game a bit in the process.  Arena football and the UFL coexist with the NFL.  I think the PGA Tour can survive LIV.  Unless of course Norman unleashes the Better Majors that he’s working on. Then the Tour’s f*****.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

The SSG deal was for an investment of up to $3B, it was never an investment of $3B. The first tranche was used exclusively to retain players via illiquid equity. If there is one, I would assume the second tranche will be used to improve the product and drive ROI. While I believe TV ratings are down 20% on average, I haven't heard of a corresponding revenue drop. SSG will certainly spring into action, likely with expense reduction, if their ROI is threatened. Nothing has occurred to date so things might be better than the general public thinks. 

I do think it's inevitable that more players will join LIV. Guys like Clark, Finau, and Horschel would've left already had LIV met their number. I believe the PGAT has asked LIV for $3B. LIV could simply plow that money into player contracts, marketing, media etc., and roll the dice they get that thing humming. My gut tells me we'll end up with a single tour again...just not certain which one. 

How profound! 
Guys like Clark, Finau, and Horschel would've left already had LIV met their number.

Of course they would…just like Rahm did when they upped the deal high enough they took the money. And who wouldn’t?  Except for perhaps Tiger and Rory what players have enough to be able to look wife and family in the eye and turn down hundreds of millions?

But what happens at the end of next year? The first wave will have their contract up and will want to get another big deal to stay. Will the PIF continue to prop this thing up forever?
 They may have enough cash to as you and others like to point out but they only have so much face to save.  Do they want to look like good businessmen and dump LIV or have that fiasco added to the apparent NEOM fiasco?

• Like 2

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stinger_gc said:

I still don’t think LIV is the end game for the PIF. It’s a crappy product per tv ratings and outside of the Adelaide every event is forgettable. Also outside of Tiger and maybe Rory, these guys are replaceable.  The Sunday tv ratings for the masters weren’t that high but Th/Fri were the highest rated broadcast in years.

Th/Fri were the highest in years…with Bryson in the lead. Maybe there are a few stars that move the needle when in contention. 

Edited by Cactus Jack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

26 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

How profound! 
Guys like Clark, Finau, and Horschel would've left already had LIV met their number.

Of course they would…just like Rahm did when they upped the deal high enough they took the money. And who wouldn’t?  Except for perhaps Tiger and Rory what players have enough to be able to look wife and family in the eye and turn down hundreds of millions?

But what happens at the end of next year? The first wave will have their contract up and will want to get another big deal to stay. Will the PIF continue to prop this thing up forever?
 They may have enough cash to as you and others like to point out but they only have so much face to save.  Do they want to look like good businessmen and dump LIV or have that fiasco added to the apparent NEOM fiasco?

Why does LIV need to pony up big for contract renewals. Unless things change, the LIV players are not going to get starts on the PGA unless they get sponsor exemptions. I thought there were suspended for a period of time and I’m sure the remaining PGA players would not be excited with them coming back with no repercussions. 

drn92

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

How profound! 

I should have said, Clark, Finau, and Horschel wanted to go, but LIV didn’t want them based on their self proclaimed value. 

The next round of contracts is likely make or break for LIV. I think Mickleson takes a non-playing role, and the likes of Poulter, Westwood, and Na are gone. Brooks, Bryson, DJ etc, will get paid as well, if not better, than their first deal. DJ might walk away and retire. Many others will walk freeing up a lot of cash to sign more big names. I don’t see a scenario where the spending stops. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I should have said, Clark, Finau, and Horschel wanted to go, but LIV didn’t want them based on their self proclaimed value. 

The next round of contracts is likely make or break for LIV. I think Mickleson takes a non-playing role, and the likes of Poulter, Westwood, and Na are gone. Brooks, Bryson, DJ etc, will get paid as well, if not better, than their first deal. DJ might walk away and retire. Many others will walk freeing up a lot of cash to sign more big names. I don’t see a scenario where the spending stops. 

So you expect the PIF will just continue to dump billions with, essentially, ZERO return?

Why?

16 minutes ago, drn92 said:

Why does LIV need to pony up big for contract renewals. Unless things change, the LIV players are not going to get starts on the PGA unless they get sponsor exemptions. I thought there were suspended for a period of time and I’m sure the remaining PGA players would not be excited with them coming back with no repercussions. 

drn92

I would expect they will need to get paid in a big way for extensions for the same reason they paid Rahm such a silly money amount.  Just the threat of not staying will force them to pay IF they wish to have LIV continue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

Wrong.

Finau wouldn't have signed at any price. He rejected their offer. He will never sign with liv = Morals.

Clark turned them down as well. He said his legacy and the money is what he plays for. There is no legacy with the exhibition tour.

Horschel would have signed but his asking price was well above what liv wanted to pay.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, idrive said:

Wrong.

Finau wouldn't have signed at any price. He rejected their offer. He will never sign with liv = Morals.

Clark turned them down as well. He said his legacy and the money is what he plays for. There is no legacy with the exhibition tour.

Horschel would have signed but his asking price was well above what liv wanted to pay.

-Finau spoke with his wife and the issue for him was leaving the country while his family is young..morals had nothing to do with it.

-Clark, correct.

-Horschel quietly regrets not taking the offer LIV threw at him. But he has been collecting some $$ since as his form has improved on the PGAT.

Edited by notsohard
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Some interesting counterpoints on reddit.

image.png.43607c0480cecd38b889edc2e2de116d.png

I think the reply in your copy paste about Dunne is closer to the truth than what was said in the first post.

Edited by Shilgy

56 minutes ago, tomjas said:

Rahm hasn’t won yet and is frustrated 

You only need to watch LIV to know that 

And that’s why he misses the PGA Tour? 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Archimedes65 said:

Todd Lewis said tonight that he spoke to Tiger today and asked whether there was a sense of urgency, and Tiger said ‘We’re not going to do a deal, just to do a deal.”

There clearly isn’t even a framework of a deal in place at this point.  The whole announcement of a ‘framework agreement’ and the original deadline of 12/31/23 really seems bush league at this point.

It was Jimmy selling a used car.  "Better hurry up, lots of interest in this 2000 Saturn".

• Haha 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter