Anyone sticking with TSI over TSR

Longballjock

Hi All

Well as the title states, is anyone sticking with there TSI version driver over the new TSR Line.

I have been playing a TSI4 9.75* paired with a Graphite Design AD-HD, i have 18 rounds in the last month of ownership.

My plan was to play this for now until I got my TSR fitting. Currently a 2 index so a decent ball striker.

Well yesterday I had the fitting. Temperatures are starting to drop here in Scotland so the numbers could be a little off.

Tsi4 numbers were :

Swing speed: 105mph

Smash : 1.46 (not efficient at all)

Ball speed: 155mph

Carry: 268 yards

Total: 289 yards

Spin: 1945rpm 

Launch Angle:10*

Peak height:  81 feet

This was an average of 10 shots. I have a shot in me with the TSI4 that when hit high toe it drops like a stone and I mean drops. There were none in this sample but its put me in trouble a couple of times.

I tested all the models they had to offer which I hadn't done with the previous range just the 3&4 because I wanted to kill my spin, the best for me was the TSR2 8* go figure.

Swing Speed: 106mph

Smash: 1.49 (better)

Ball speed: 158mph 

Carry: 272 yards

Total 293 yards

Spin: 2400rpm

Launch: 14*

Peak height: 100 feet (little high for me)

So I was ready to place my order there for the TSR2, my fitter (who is also a friend) said did you try the TSI2, so we did. I was blown away. Look was a little sauce pan to what I'm used to but numbers don't lie.

TSi2 8.25* Graphite Design AD-HD

Smash: 1.5 ( yes efficient)

Ball speed: 159mph

Carry: 273 yards

Total: 297 yards

Spin: 2250rpm

Launch: 11*

Peak height: 90 feet (perfect for me)

I had more efficiency, more forgiveness, same Carry but more roll than the TSR2 because of the steeper land angle. You could have put a blanket over where the balls landed. IMG_20220916_063853.jpg.d6f2d982060afbfc837a6df298c5bdee.jpgIMG_20220916_063936.jpg.37fb9e427ce7e44ebc299e415eab9473.jpg

Ended up just buying this Demo head for TSI. It's in great shape. Interested to here if anyone else found the same. 

I wanted to buy that exact demo head , but he wasn't allowed to sell them 😔 

• Like 3

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

I am going to hit the TSRs today and make a determination from there. I’m still struggling with the driver swing as it is so it might be a moot point

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 10* GD DI 6s 

Titleist TSR3 16.5* GD DI

Titleist TSI3 20* Tensei White

Mizuno Pro 221 PX LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM8 46*
Titleist Vokey SM9 50/54/58 S400 TI S400

Scotty Cameron Monoblock 6

Bridgestone BXS/Titleist Prov1X -

16 hours ago, Longballjock said:

Hi All

Well as the title states, is anyone sticking with there TSI version driver over the new TSR Line.

I have been playing a TSI4 9.75* paired with a Graphite Design AD-HD, i have 18 rounds in the last month of ownership.

My plan was to play this for now until I got my TSR fitting. Currently a 2 index so a decent ball striker.

Well yesterday I had the fitting. Temperatures are starting to drop here in Scotland so the numbers could be a little off.

Tsi4 numbers were :

This was an average of 10 shots. I have a shot in me with the TSI4 that when hit high toe it drops like a stone and I mean drops. There were none in this sample but its put me in trouble a couple of times.

I tested all the models they had to offer which I hadn't done with the previous range just the 3&4 because I wanted to kill my spin, the best for me was the TSR2 8* go figure.

Total 293 yards

So I was ready to place my order there for the TSR2, my fitter (who is also a friend) said did you try the TSI2, so we did. I was blown away. Look was a little sauce pan to what I'm used to but numbers don't lie.

I had more efficiency, more forgiveness, same Carry but more roll than the TSR2 because of the steeper land angle. You could have put a blanket over where the balls landed. IMG_20220916_063853.jpg.d6f2d982060afbfc837a6df298c5bdee.jpgIMG_20220916_063936.jpg.37fb9e427ce7e44ebc299e415eab9473.jpg

Ended up just buying this Demo head for TSI. It's in great shape. Interested to here if anyone else found the same. 

I thought the TSi2 was fantastic.  I had one last season for a while and just could not stand the look. I ended up selling it. I saw the TSr2 and had to preorder, just because look was that much better, imo.  I’d imagine that any driver one generation apart in the same line is going to have pretty much the same performance.  I could definitely see  staying in the TSi line.  I loved the TSi3 as well.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I currently play a TSi2 and have the newer TSR2 on order. Once they arrive I will see if newer is better. I am interested in trying the Tour AD IZ shaft in both, this was the shaft that gave me the best results in my recent fitting, it seemed more forgiving for my occasional toe strike 

• Like 2

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Well

k went and hit the TSR3 today

Nd the. The TSR4

The TSR4 was magic. And I ordered one 

then went and played today with my TSI3 and hit every fairway but 1

What the Eff lol

but the TSR got me 4mph more swing speed and better dispersion. And I loved the flu head look at address. So I think it’ll be better

i hope.  

also ordered a TSR3 16.5 cuz I can’t hit the 15* tsi3 FW 

• Like 1

Mizuno Pro 221 PX LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM8 46*

1 hour ago, Derek1387 said:

Well

Nd the. The TSR4

What the Eff lol

but the TSR got me 4mph more swing speed and better dispersion. And I loved the flu head look at address. So I think it’ll be better

i hope.  

That's the great part of getting on a monitor with a fitter, the only thing about that is my tsi4 gave great monitor numbers, but on course was a different story , the odd occasion I would hit head height lasers that just seemed to go for ever , great on a links course but not for tree line. The tsi2 I could do both, maybe not head height but still low enough.

On 9/16/2022 at 4:56 PM, Longballjock said:

Hi All

Tsi4 numbers were :

Total 293 yards

This is a bit ridiculous but I have the same findings as u.....I was playing a 8* TSi4 and then moved to a 9* TSi4 and then moved to the 8* TSI3 and now I find the TSi2 9* to be the best overall, but the TSi3 is still lurking.  

I found the TSR2 to be equal to the TSi2, it wasn't better.  However if I had to stay in the small head, the TSR4 was better than the TSi4 in terms of forgiveness

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Derek1387 said:

What the Eff lol

I feel you on this haha I have been testing the new TSR line and then go out to the range today and started to really connect and make consistent impact with my TSi3. What. The. Heck. 

On another note, I've got a AD UB 6x coming and I'm planning on hitting it first in my TSi3 to get some numbers before deciding to upgrade to the TSR3. I hit the TSR2 well but when I paired the AD UB 6x with the 3, it was a night and day difference. I was getting way more carry and consistency across all my data. I might go to a 10* head since my carry was a little better with that head over my 9* in my TSi3. Until I hit the UB in the TSR3, I was left underwhelmed compared to my TSi3 with AD DI. The Ventus TR Red and Blue were NOT good for me. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

I played the TSi3 in 2021.  When the TSi line came out, I didn't give the 2 much consideration because I didn't like the shape and the 3 looked and performed great. I made some minor swing changes in the offseason and found the 3 launching a little lower than I wanted so I spent some time hitting the 2 and it gave me the flight I wanted, was a little easier to draw and a little more forgiving.  I put it in the bag and it performed so well that it started to look good to me.  I hit the R's this weekend.  In the 3, the I and R are essentially the same club for me.  If I still played the TSi3, I wouldn't change.  Most players, myself included, will find the TSr2 to be an improvement in the looks department.  The shape is much better in my opinion.  I think the TSR2 will be a big hit for Titleist.  In terms of performance, I found very little difference, if any.  I may eventually switch to the R if I want to look at something a little different but based on performance, I'm content sticking with the TSi2 for now at least.  I didn't hit the 4, but similar to the 2, I think the shape is improved over the prior model.

• Like 2

I hit the TSR2 on the weekend and found it to be excellent. I have the TSi3 and will try and hit both heads with the 1K shaft as I suspect they might be closer apples for apples.  I tend to hit my TSi3 lower both trajectory and on the face than I did testing the TSR2.  I have the Tensei AV Raw White in my TSi3.

• Like 3

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

On 9/17/2022 at 5:04 PM, Derek1387 said:

Well

Nd the. The TSR4

What the Eff lol

i hope.  

I love the TSI3 15/18, best fairways I have played, wanted a 7w , so pre ordered a TSR2 7w.

I am hoping I can fit into a TSR4 driver, love the smaller head, could probably use some spin reduction on tee ball, hope I have enough swing speed.

• Like 2

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I would have to do a driver fitting to confirm, but one thing I have noticed is that when you find something that works, don't tempt fate by going down another path unless you don't mind throwing away some dollars if it doesn't work out.

I really like my TSi3.  I have an 8 degree (but set to 8.5) and if I make a good swing, I am really happy with the results and can hit a ton of fairways.  I have no reason to upgrade at this point.  If I actually did a fitting, perhaps it would be different, but the combination of 44.5 whiteboard 75X shaft and TSi3 8 degree head seems to keep a lot of balls in play when I am swinging easy and balanced.  Trouble starts when I start trying to carry 295 instead of 265: I can do it but it isn't the path to lower scores as a slight change in balance results in a big hook.  Being in the fairway, 90 yards from the hole instead of punching out of the trees, is the path! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For now, I will stick with the TSi3.  I suspect there won't be much in them to make the jump to the TSr3, and I did get to try the TSr2 last week... It looks amazing, like really nice... but didn't do anything that wowed me.  If I didn't already own a Titleist driver, I'd be all over the TSr2, but for now, I'll stick with the TSi.

• Like 4

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 9/18/2022 at 2:32 AM, puresurfr said:

This is a bit ridiculous but I have the same findings as u.....I was playing a 8* TSi4 and then moved to a 9* TSi4 and then moved to the 8* TSI3 and now I find the TSi2 9* to be the best overall, but the TSi3 is still lurking.  

I found the TSR2 to be equal to the TSi2, it wasn't better.  However if I had to stay in the small head, the TSR4 was better than the TSi4 in terms of forgiveness

Interesting that you found almost the exact same results. I found that the tsi2 set at 8.25* had the same launch conditions as my tsi4. Just with the added forgiveness on my toe miss which were severely punished on the 4. 

I just think the TSI line was so amazing for titleist. I agree with everyone on the shape is much better on the TSR though. But I can deal with that... For now. One thing I did enjoy was the GD AD UB, think I might pick one up for my 3 wood. Love the HD in driver.

16 hours ago, Warrick said:

I love the TSI3 15/18, best fairways I have played, wanted a 7w , so pre ordered a TSR2 7w.

I am hoping I can fit into a TSR4 driver, love the smaller head, could probably use some spin reduction on tee ball, hope I have enough swing speed.

I am about 106mph on course average and the TSi4 was fine, just the toe miss killed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MerryTex said:

I feel you on this haha I have been testing the new TSR line and then go out to the range today and started to really connect and make consistent impact with my TSi3. What. The. Heck. 

On another note, I've got a AD UB 6x coming and I'm planning on hitting it first in my TSi3 to get some numbers before deciding to upgrade to the TSR3. I hit the TSR2 well but when I paired the AD UB 6x with the 3, it was a night and day difference. I was getting way more carry and consistency across all my data. I might go to a 10* head since my carry was a little better with that head over my 9* in my TSi3. Until I hit the UB in the TSR3, I was left underwhelmed compared to my TSi3 with AD DI. The Ventus TR Red and Blue were NOT good for me. 

I was very impressed with the UB, first time hitting it and think I'll stick it in my Fairway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longballjock said:

I was very impressed with the UB, first time hitting it and think I'll stick it in my Fairway.

I heard someone comment that it’s almost low launching but that was not the case for me. I was getting around 13 on average with plenty of carry compared the the Ventus TR shafts. I was probably averaging around 11/11.5 and sort of erratic in both Red and Blue. The Blue felt great though. I guess I’m just someone who gels with shafts from Graphite Design. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

On 9/18/2022 at 11:05 PM, Warrick said:

I picked up 4mph swing speed with the TSR4. Was quite impressed

• Like 3

Mizuno Pro 221 PX LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM8 46*

I am not changing from  a TSI to a TSR.

the hype on new clubs is hype, nothing more.

i played a few rounds with a 975d and posted the same scores and had the same approach distances.  

i will often play with an older Palmer Peerless Pete persimmon driver and am not far behind my other titanium drivers, and end up with similar scores.

I just don’t see the value.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Derek1387 said:

I picked up 4mph swing speed with the TSR4. Was quite impressed

For some reason, I just seem to square up the head better when it is smaller, my go for the 4, thanks 

• Like 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I honestly cannot see the new driver being a massive improvement over my current Tsi3. With the outrageous costs of new equipment, I cannot see changing unless I’m gaining something ridiculous (more than 10 yards), and I think we all know that is not happening. I may consider the Tsr3 3 fairway, but that would also take a heck of a lot of improvement.

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver - Titleist TSR3

3 Wood - PING G425 LST 

Hybrid - Titleist TSR2

Irons (4-PW): Mizuno Pro 223

Wedges: Mizuno T24 - 50*, 56*

Putter: Cameron '23 Phantom X 5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1