2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Anyone sticking with TSI over TSR

Longballjock

I did try the new tsr3 vs my TSI3 and the numbers where a tad better, my swing has changed alot over the last 2 years since i bought the TSI3, so might not be the best fit anymore. I dont think its worth the money for the tiny performems gain, but i would buy the tsr3 for the sound alone though !! I never was a huge fan of TSI3 Sound. A tad pingy for my taste, but the performems was good. The tsr3 sounds much much Better !! More muted 

I did end up buying a tsr2 fairway wood though in 15 degrees. That was a massive improvement over my Callaway epic flash. The Callaway i bought just of the rack though and missed left alot with it. At the fitting it was the same thing. missing left alot with it. With the tsr2 not a single miss left and much better spin window and height

Edited by Leska
  • Like 1

These no new model release will be longer than the past couple gens imo.  It's all about a proper fitting.  I call BS on most of the YT reviewers who seem to find 3-5 yards every new model that comes out.    Rick Shiels and Peter Finch are 2 guys who almost always are within 1-2 yards of prior gen models.  Not surprised by your results but rather expected it.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I’ve had the TSi2 the past year.  I never look at the new offerings thinking I’m going to gain much.  As long as the driver you have is properly fitted, and is  a more recent release, your gains will be minimal.  Just a fact, like it or not.  With that being said, I’ll probably be purchasing a new driver for next season!  

Ping G30 Tour AD DI
Ping G25 3 wood VTS Silver
Ping i25 KBS Tour
Vokey 54, 58
Cameron fastback

TS3 was a huge game changer for me. Dispersion was so much better than anything else I had tried for 2-3 previous years. TSi3 was perfected. Same dispersion but much improved sound and feel. TSr3 not that much difference, maybe a little more consistent ball speed across the face. Still bought it because....well that's what I do. I don't think anyone that doesn't want to spend the money will be missing out if you already game the TSi3. It looked to me like the TSr2 was quite a bit different than TSi2 but only hit 3 balls with both versions between this fitting and the last one. 

• Like 1

TSi3 is staying for me in both my driver and fairway. Even if I gain yardage I can't gain much accuracy over my current setup. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60TX

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX6 | Dynamic Gold TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

11 hours ago, Zena said:

From what I've seen...

-TSi2 stands alone, no true replacement

-TSR2 is TSi2.5 (TSi2 but shifted towards the 3). If you were in between the TSi2 and the TSi3 in fits and it came down to compromising, one aspect or the other, then you'll find your home here

-TSR3's improvement is mostly dispersion related.

-TSR4 is the one that was truly much better. TSR4 back weight position is essentially a TSi3.5 (TSi3 but kills more spin), the choice if you liked the TSi4's smaller headsize but it killed too much launch and spin for you. Also overall more forgiving than the TSi4.

Of course not everyone will follow this trend, but basically:

If you fit perfectly in the TSi2 or TSi3 and are automatic,  you won't gain much from upgrading other than a new shiny head.

If you were flip flopping between TSi2 and TSi3, TSR2 might surprise you with how good it is for you

If you wanted a TSi4 but couldn't get along, Back Weight TSR4 might surprise you with how good it is

If you wanted a new driver in general, it's time.

Excellent comparison 

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

14 hours ago, Zena said:

From what I've seen...

-TSi2 stands alone, no true replacement

-TSR2 is TSi2.5 (TSi2 but shifted towards the 3). If you were in between the TSi2 and the TSi3 in fits and it came down to compromising, one aspect or the other, then you'll find your home here

-TSR3's improvement is mostly dispersion related.

-TSR4 is the one that was truly much better. TSR4 back weight position is essentially a TSi3.5 (TSi3 but kills more spin), the choice if you liked the TSi4's smaller headsize but it killed too much launch and spin for you. Also overall more forgiving than the TSi4.

Of course not everyone will follow this trend, but basically:

If you fit perfectly in the TSi2 or TSi3 and are automatic,  you won't gain much from upgrading other than a new shiny head.

If you were flip flopping between TSi2 and TSi3, TSR2 might surprise you with how good it is for you

If you wanted a TSi4 but couldn't get along, Back Weight TSR4 might surprise you with how good it is

If you wanted a new driver in general, it's time.

This exactly. TSi4 was decent fit for me, but I did not like the shape. This year they got the shape right, and I was surprised at the accuracy I had with it. It out performed the TSR3, and I didn’t even get to flip the weight forward. I’m eager to test it more thoroughly next to my driver. 

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

Almost everyone who does switch will say the numbers were a tad bit better which doesn’t justify upgrading the TSi for a TSR but coming from the Stealth or Rogue may have better reasons for switching, then it comes down to personal preference. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I am interested to try the TSr4 once I can find a decent used one. I'm a center/low face contact guy and the ability to move weight back in a smaller head intrigues me.

That said I do like my TSi3

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 10:17 AM, robehren said:

FWIW, I haven't had luck with the TSi2 or TSR2 to replace my TS2 - I'm a pretty frequent purchaser, but the numbers don't lie. While it saves me $$, a little disappointed in Titleist 

I have a beat up TS3 that I took with me on a trip in June.  I was playing well and playing the tips.  Bunker carry off the tee was 275, playing 285 due to being uphill and no wind.  I normally play it safe but figured WTH.  I carried that sucker.  Talk about a huge advantage; it cut the corner, caught the downslope, and gave me a 5-iron into a LONG par 3.  

The TS3 doesn't suck either.  It might be a couple of yards short, who knows? 

Gonna stick with the TSi3, best driver I've ever owned and I tend to keep drivers for 3+ years anyway. The big reason I went with Titleist was that it's all titanium and I don't have to worry about durability. 

That being said I hit the TSr2 and that thing is pretty sweet. Much nicer looking than the TSi2 and got some pretty good numbers with it. Likely much more forgiving than either 3 model. If I would get a new driver that'd probably be the one. 

• Like 1

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

6 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I have a beat up TS3 that I took with me on a trip in June.  I was playing well and playing the tips.  Bunker carry off the tee was 275, playing 285 due to being uphill and no wind.  I normally play it safe but figured WTH.  I carried that sucker.  Talk about a huge advantage; it cut the corner, caught the downslope, and gave me a 5-iron into a LONG par 3.  

The TS3 doesn't suck either.  It might be a couple of yards short, who knows? 

That's a LONG par 3 alright 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Curious if anyone is moving from their TSi fairways to TSR?  I just switched into the TSR3 driver, have no plans of changing out of my TSi2 3 wood, but am curious how the new TSR2 7 wood compares to the TSI2 7 wood (I have one around and prefer the size/shape but the Mav SZ 7 gave me the flatter flight I wanted).  Assuming the new TSR will launch higher with a low CG, was hoping the weight would be far enough forward to flatten out the 7 wood a bit from its predecessor. 

I may just need to buy a Ventus 9X and toss it into the TSi, but curious what folks have seen comparing the two generations of fairways. 

Titleist TSR4 10 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Fuji 9.2TS X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

FWIW I've had 2 indoor sessions with the TSR2 11* vs my TSi2 11*, same shaft, and am seeing 300-400 rpm spin reduction.  Going to take the TSR2 out on a very familiar course on Friday and hope to have a couple career drives -> we'll see !

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

On 9/17/2022 at 8:59 PM, TigerInTheWoods said:

I don't think TSi3 to TSr3 is worth it at all. The TSi3 is the best driver I've ever hit. 

What @TigerInTheWoods said.   TSi3 has been an awesome addition to my bag. I've hit TSR2 and TSR3 side-by-side against my gamer.  Even took my gamer shaft (XC 7X) and put it in the TSRs to get an apples-to-apples comparison.  No noticeable improvements.  The only thing I can think of is that I play a +6 weight in the TSi3, and both of the TSR demos had the standard weights.   

On 9/21/2022 at 8:15 AM, dj6627 said:

TSr 4  weight system is interesting….

I do want to hit TSR4 for this reason.  The only non-Titleist driver I've gamed over the last 10 years was a Rogue SubZero.  I put heavier-than-standard weights in both spots (more weight up front) and it was a beast.  Very curious to see how the same setup would work in the TSR4...

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Anyone compared TSI2 Driver vs. TSR2, same specs, same shaft? What about carry, total and spin?

Titleist TSR2 Driver 10*

Titleist TSI2 16.5*

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 20*

Titleist U510 4 iron

Titleist C16 Limited 5-GW

Titleist Vokey SM9 54° & 58°

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Special Select

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 10/12/2022 at 7:51 PM, SC-TX 88 said:

Curious if anyone is moving from their TSi fairways to TSR?  I just switched into the TSR3 driver, have no plans of changing out of my TSi2 3 wood, but am curious how the new TSR2 7 wood compares to the TSI2 7 wood (I have one around and prefer the size/shape but the Mav SZ 7 gave me the flatter flight I wanted).  Assuming the new TSR will launch higher with a low CG, was hoping the weight would be far enough forward to flatten out the 7 wood a bit from its predecessor. 

I may just need to buy a Ventus 9X and toss it into the TSi, but curious what folks have seen comparing the two generations of fairways. 

I have the TSi2 7 wood in the bag. Has an 84g Accra shaft in it and it is a weapon. One of the few 7 woods I’ve had that is easy to flight down or bring in steep and stick on a green. I like the look of the TSR2 fairways but I also love the one I have and am not messing with a club that is dialed in. Have set it a little lower loft than standard. Looks great from address. Very reliable for solid shots every time I play. Played a Cobra F8 for a long time and it fought off many competitors til I tried the TSi2. 

I also have a TSi2 3 wood (15) in the bag and I would consider the slightly smaller head of the TSR2 4 wood (16.5) just to have options. Titleist fairways are unbeatable to me. And I played Callaway fairways a long time. I do like the Rogue ST lineup but once I tried the Titleists and dialed them in, I preferred how they play. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Most likely sticking with TSi3 as well (assuming I can get rid of the TSr head I have). To me makes more sense to stick a Ventus in the TSi as I don't have an unlimited budget for clubs. Now the TSr2 and TSr4 do seem different from their predecessors, which makes it a more interesting conversation.

Wasn't going to stick with my TSi3 (basically because I like new clubs) but ended up sticking with it anyways.  I bought both a TSR3 and a TSR4. 

The TSR4 gave me great ball speed but I am just not consistent enough to hit dead nuts center all the time and felt like I was getting punished a little too much. 

The TSR3 for whatever reason just kept snap hooking on me.  Or should I say I kept snap hooking it.  I have a short tolerance for clubs once I get bad images in my head.  Plus it had a strange whistling sound to it when swinging...think it's the new weight track.

So in the end I sold both of them and am just sticking with my TSi3.  It's the best driver I've ever had and because of that I've got a lot of good history with it.  Plus I tried a different shaft in it and actually found some ball speed and better dispersion patterns so in the end while I lost money on the experimenting I actually gained a better driver. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

ive had these drivers in my bag for a few weeks now and I can make a better assessment of my findings.  My longest driver in my bag right now is the TSi3 w/ Tour Ad Di and the best feeling smoothest driver is my TSi2 with Red Ventus.  I tried to replace these with TSR3 8* and 9* and the TSR2 8*.   Im probably the outlier here but ill say the TSR3 is slightly worse feeling and sounding than the TSi3, it has a slightly longer average but the TSi3 has this bomb shot in it that I have not found with any other driver.  The TSR2 surprisingly felt the worst of all of them but I like this driver because it took out the left side and performed well on thin shots and it seems to be extremely low spin.  Im probably going to bag a TSR2 and have the TSi3 as a backup and the TSi2 feels the best, but it has a draw bias that sometimes gets me in trouble.  

My prior main use was a TSi4 and I bought a TSr4.  Same loft.  I have directly compared them with:

Autoflex 505x

Tensei White 70x

Tensei White 65S

Tensei Blue 65S

Tensei Blue 65R

Ventus Black 5x

Ping Tour 65x

I like all of these shafts.  Favorites are the Autoflex, Ventus and Tour65 in that order.

All told, about 2 yards carry different and 1 yard rollout different.  Dispersion was slightly better.  Sound is worse in that it sounds more like a G425 (but nowhere as bad as that, as that thing has a horrid tin can sound).  It is still good sounding, just not as good as the TSi4 for me.

I'm going to go with the Rick schiels conclusion that it is better but only marginally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be keeping my TSi3, too. I had an informal fitting between other customers the other day and didn't dive too deep but my feeling was that the TSr4 was a real stand-out with the 1K Pro White 60TX - we had it set up in "3.5 mode" and it was longer than the TSi3 with the same shaft, but only by a little and there wasn't a significant dispersion improvement, either. I liked pretty much everything about it... but not enough to fully commit.

So I bought the shaft and I'll keep my eyes out for a TSr4 head but I reckon the TSi3 has a few more years in it yet.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB