I'll stick with my almost 10 year old irons

mvhoffman

8 hours ago, reality_filter said:

Until last month I'd been playing my Titleist 704 CB irons from 2005 (?) and always adored them. I was really reluctant to replace them but ended up getting a set of T100 irons and they're better performing in every way for me. Way more forgiving on off center hits, very soft feel, workability, distance consistency. You should at least do yourself a favor and try hitting some of the modern irons. 

I would absolutely likely score better with some newer irons, but I simply do not like the looks of them.  I love the look of the newer blades... i don't need to play blades.  not a performance thing here.  just wont play what i don't like the looks of in the bag.

• Like 2

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

9 hours ago, reality_filter said:

Until last month I'd been playing my Titleist 704 CB irons from 2005 (?) and always adored them. I was really reluctant to replace them but ended up getting a set of T100 irons and they're better performing in every way for me. Way more forgiving on off center hits, very soft feel, workability, distance consistency. You should at least do yourself a favor and try hitting some of the modern irons. 

One day I might buy some new irons (I might have to rob a Brinks truck first).  Tried it once about 4 years ago and sold them after a month.  Good thing I never get rid of my playing set until about a year has gone by.  Just in case I change my mind.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I have spent so much money on new irons over the past 3 years its kind of sickening.  Like I mentioned earlier, nothing has given me better scores or stayed in the bag for long periods of time.  All I do is confuse myself more and more.  I’ll eventually go back to a set of stones.

• Like 4

Cobra   Darkspeed LS 10.5   Accra Tz5 65 M5

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

11 hours ago, wam78 said:

Ever since I sold my Bridgestone’s I’ve been struggling to find irons that I like and can stick with.  Been through way too many sets over the past 4 seasons.  The closest ones were zx7’s and the staff model cb’s.  I’m debating hard to go back to a set of bstone or maybe an older set of x forged.  Either ‘13 or ‘18’s.

Not sure what Bridgestone irons are your favorites and what you have already tried but the Wilson V6 may be worth a look. Should be very similar in shape to J33CB irons with the feel of Staff CB irons. Another option is to play 2018 Apex MB short irons with the Wilson Staff CB mid and long irons. They look identical from address but have a much thinner sole which I prefer in my short irons. I usually play my MB irons from 7 to GW. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

Not sure what Bridgestone irons are your favorites and what you have already tried but the Wilson V6 may be worth a look. Should be very similar in shape to J33CB irons with the feel of Staff CB irons. Another option is to play 2018 Apex MB short irons with the Wilson Staff CB mid and long irons. They look identical from address but have a much thinner sole which I prefer in my short irons. I usually play my MB irons from 7 to GW. 

Kind of a tie between the j40cb and tour b x cb.  J40 have my favorite sole design but the shape of the tour b’s are just outstanding.  Also, kind of like the slightly stronger lofts with low cg of the tour b.  Keeps launch in a really good window and great spin.

I’ve had the staff cb multiple times and really enjoy them.  Just not crazy about the scoring irons shape.  But love the mid and long irons.

Cobra   Darkspeed LS 10.5   Accra Tz5 65 M5

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

17 hours ago, Socrates said:

I have 2 "vintage" sets: 2003 Hogan Apex and Wilson FG-51's.  Love the look of them and there is some nostalgia with them, but they won't see the golf course ever again.  Too far in the past and from a time when I thought I was good.

To be fair it was only because I was playing in a scramble on a course with ridiculously narrow fairways, and damn if I can currently hit my 3HL Wood. Did get some chuckles when I was laying it out there just as far as most drivers. 

Just finished my 5th golf season with my Bridgestone J15CB's and next year will be season 6.  These are still a perfect combination of looks, feel, and playability that I've seen.  I plan to keep them in the bag until the clubheads wear out. Although... The new irons coming out from Cobra (King Tour or King CB)and Srixon (ZX7 Mark II) are tempting to try though.  Just can't imagine anything being better looking, better feeling, or more playable than the J15CB's.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9*- Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 60 X-Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist TSR3 15* Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 70 X-Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 X-Stiff

Irons: Titleist T100(2019) 3, 5-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50* KBS C-Taper 130X, 54* & 58* KBS 610 Wedge 125.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1(2023)

I went backwards, had the Callaway Rogue ST pro since release and got the chance to buy a set of EPON personal 3 irons which I always wanted but choked on the price back in 2016. Well they are everything I could want looks wise at address and perform better for me overall. Just finished soft stepping them as they came with 105x shafts and while they played ok, they were a bit much by the end of the round. Not expecting a big difference of course but a bit of help is nice.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

1 hour ago, wam78 said:

Kind of a tie between the j40cb and tour b x cb.  J40 have my favorite sole design but the shape of the tour b’s are just outstanding.  Also, kind of like the slightly stronger lofts with low cg of the tour b.  Keeps launch in a really good window and great spin.

I’ve had the staff cb multiple times and really enjoy them.  Just not crazy about the scoring irons shape.  But love the mid and long irons.

Monitor Callaway preowned and their eBay store for the 2018 MB irons. The blend perfectly with the Staff CB.

• Like 1

am i the only golfer on earth that thinks looks are overrated? 

all golfers need certain attributes of design to actually help them with there game, sure I prefer the look of a blade but they just dont work for most golfers. I feel golfers will learn to like a different look if the performance is there. 

I was able to pick a set of the Nike Forged Pro Combo OS for about 200 bucks recently, in great shape too! They look really nice, slightly bigger head size than some true forged blades but I could use the extra bit of forgiveness. Plan on playing them next year after I go through the New Level 902 OS im playing now.

I'm not sure exactly when these were introduced but maybe around 2005 or so? Has anyone hit these and could provide a sort-of review? I cant seem to find a lot of info on them and there are even very few pictures on google, but for a 10+ year old iron set they seem great. 

Cobra LTDx driver: 9* - PX RDX Smoke Black 60 6.5

Cobra LTDx 3 wood: 15* - PX  HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.5

Callaway UW: 21* - PX HZRDUS Red 85 6.5

Honma TR20v: 5-PW - DG 120 X100

Mizuno T22: 48/8, 52/9, 56/10, 60/6 - DG TI S400

TaylorMade Spider Tour Red

Golf Sprinkler GIF

32 minutes ago, AdamMH said:

New theory - maybe that's why I'm no good at golf? Switching irons every round? Yeah... that's gotta be it...

Unless you get the same specs and setup with the new irons you are going to have to adapt to the new irons.  Unless you are really talented (or really crappy) your game will suffer.  When the Tour Pro's change irons, rarely does anything change but the heads and those are almost always nearly identical to what they had.  So yeah, switching irons with different shafts or specs is usually detrimental.  That's one reason why the BST is full of nearly new sets of irons being sold.  Guys think they've found the next piece of magic and then 2 weeks later it's up for sale.  There is a reason why the say to never get into a money game with a guy with a beat up set of clubs.

• Like 4

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Mitchell said:

Every few years, I find another old set of 962b irons and get the guys @Continental Golfto refinish and rebuild to my preferred specs, so should be set on irons for quite a while.7A9CF914-10BF-4C20-AE83-88CF7FAA1B5C.jpeg.7645a39caf352244e6fc5afe6171e688.jpeg9F925C7C-C31C-4884-9B1D-2A6D797FEABD.jpeg.134658377d797e5bd1af9a0f8d56caad.jpeg2852AA6E-55DE-4557-B946-3CD044A31FF0.jpeg.c29a522df2a7050a2999a439d8d107d4.jpeg

NIce!   Did you keep the old school lofts on them as well?

5 hours ago, Port and Starboard said:

NIce!   Did you keep the old school lofts on them as well?

Absolutely kept the lofts as original, such a great progression of distances and flights that are just comfortable and reliable for me after a “few” years.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

22 hours ago, Yacho said:

For me, the breakdown in iron component importance goes 70% to the shaft, 20% grip, and 10% club head.  If it's anything generally considered a golf club head at the end of a properly fitted build, I'm going to have a good chance of hitting it well.  Which begs the question...  is it the advancement in shaft tech and fitting data we really should be comparing here?

if we’re talking about 10 year old irons without all the newfangled tech, then yes, absolutely. 

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

9 hours ago, reality_filter said:

out of curiosity, what does it typically cost to have irons refinished?

Depends on composition of iron, and extent of work needed, these guys do not rechrome, yet their basic pricing is on website at Continentalgolf.net . My best advice is to give them a call. 

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

12 hours ago, sociojeje said:

I am sticking with 2012 yamaha x v forged. Kinda want to change the shafts but it costs more than the set. One piece forged irons are about preference as tech can only do so much. To me it is a perfect combination of right loft, offset, and size.

You're highlighting a real struggle for older irons. I'm in the middle of reworking some late 60's Haig Ultras. So far nobody but grail golf has 580 OD ferrules (plain black!), I had to buy a bigger torch to pull the shafts, I need to ream the heads, buy new shafts, etc. all because of 3 bent shaft tips!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sheamclkel said:

am i the only golfer on earth that thinks looks are overrated? 

all golfers need certain attributes of design to actually help them with there game, sure I prefer the look of a blade but they just dont work for most golfers. I feel golfers will learn to like a different look if the performance is there. 

Not really.  I fit in that bar for the most part.  You know what I like the look of?  A dropping handicap, or how a scorecard looks when all of the holes are done and presses calculated and I won more than I lost.  That is the main thing I care about looks wise.

Are there some show stoppers?  Yeah I have tried shovel irons down the PW and the shorter irons look horrible and also I cannot hit them, closed face woods are a show stopper, but in irons, if I hit them the most solid, they could look like a brick and I won't care one bit.  Hitting good iron shots, more greens closer proximity is where great amateurs are better than good ones - yes generalizing a bit but in general it is true.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Ping Blueprint S - Ventus Blue 90 Hybrid X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

14 hours ago, SteelieD said:

if we’re talking about 10 year old irons without all the newfangled tech, then yes, absolutely. 

And if we're talking T200's or Mizzy 225's, then shaft and grip and fitting are of less importance than they used to be?  Maybe I'm not following.  I guess what I'm saying is that our friend Mitchell could go in and get a perfect fit for new T200s and also get a new perfect fit for his 962s, and loft for loft, the 962s could very well out-perform the new stuff for him.  Looks and acoustics aside, the stats between these 2 clubheads are surprisingly (maybe unsurprisingly?) very similar, despite their birthdays being over 20 years apart.  

I think people have a tendency to unfairly associate the clubhead with the actual "golf club system" they're swinging.  I know I have in the past.  In a foray into vintage clubs awhile back, I was amazed by how well I could strike a set of '88 Hogan Redlines, but also how I couldn't hit a set of '84 Muirfields for $h!t.  Turns out, what I couldn't hit was not necessarily the Muirfields, but a set of irons in TT S400 +1/2" 2* upright swinging at C9. 

Edited by Yacho
  • Like 3

I have 5 sets of irons that are between 20 years old and up to brand new.  From blades to super game improvement.  The irons I hit the best are supposed to be some of the most unforgiving irons ever made (Mizuno MP18 SC's), but I hit them the best because of the shaft and how forgiving they are to my typical miss... a thin heel shot.  When I get into irons that have tungsten in the toe it moves the sweet spot more out to the toe and I NEVER hit on the toeside of center... only the heel side.  So for somebody like me there's no benefit whatsoever with SGI irons.  Couple that with I've never hit one that I like the feel of, and I play golf more for the enjoyment of the feel of a pured shot I stick with the Blades and low-tech forged irons.  My MP33's will be back in the bag once I get new shafts for them to match the MP18 SC's... just because of the feel.

-Mag

• Like 1

There is something about having an iron that goes the distance you want and you have confidence in. I still game the PING G30’s. I have put them up against every G iron since and they can’t be beat for feel, consistency, accuracy and performance.  I have also tried probably 3-4 offerings from each of the major players.  Loft for loft I haven’t found an iron that goes any further then maybe a few yards.  Almost all are within a few yards for me. I am not a fast swinger at about 95-98 with the driver. The G30’s flat out work for me and will not be leaving my bag any time soon. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:16 AM, Socrates said:

Good thing I never get rid of my playing set until about a year has gone by.  Just in case I change my mind.

I think that's a good idea. You see all these stories of "why did I sell these clubs?" 

I'm not entirely in the camp of the op, as I have irons from this year, but it's going to be probably a decade until I change them. Heck, if I hadn't won the contest here for a free full bag fitting and $1500 I'd probably still be playing with my old Cleveland 588 mts.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

18 hours ago, reality_filter said:

out of curiosity, what does it typically cost to have irons refinished?

In 2018 I got a set of 80's blades rechromed for $30/club. Imagine its more now...

Services available include The Iron Factory and Oughton's golf (I used Oughton)

Edit: Oughton advertises $33/club today.

Edited by James the Hogan Fan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

There has never been an award for "The Player with the best looking clubs"

Fine, but realistically I'm never going to win an award for "Best Golfer" either.

Rather be known as the guy with the awesome hogan blades than the guy who can't break 80 to save his life

• Like 4